Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YIFFY HIGHSCHOOL
Jan 21, 2015

the starbound thread in games sucks because it's entirely goons whining about a fun and cool game,

there is a new update and it looks Fun but mine is still installing

starbound is a cool game to play with your friends you can bury them in dirt and fill your spaceship with cool stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
when it comes to games threads in Games they only exist so lovely posters can moan about nothing or white people or homosexuals or feminisim.

ive had lots of fun with starbound and my best friend :> we been chilling on random planets throughout the universe, playing instruments, meeting animals and tunneling through poo poo.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Rubbing your genitals with a cheese grater is fun and cool with your friends

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I played Starbound up to the 10th level of armor as a bird man using the randomly generated name Deathpecker when the game out but I haven't played it since then. Never got to try multiplayer...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm gonna suggest this on our next gathering.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blackheart posted:

I'm gonna suggest this on our next gathering.
I don't believe this. The gathering part.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The gathering is happening. The genital cheese grating is still awaiting agreement.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Is it a game yet or is it, years later, still some 20$ pixel art tech demo?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Gimbal lock posted:

"If Terraria was Minecraft in 2D, this is Minecraft in 2D in Space. It's great."

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Gimbal lock posted:

it's a sandbox game. if you didn't think it was a game before, well, that's okay but you're gay.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
if you[general, plural] don't think it's a game now, even with all the quests and the work they've put into it, and i'm going to have to call you a retarded idiot who should kill yourself with a shotgun blast through your throat so you slowly bleed to death and drown at the same time

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i'm gonna wait to see how the new terraria update is before i commit to starbound

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

if you[general, plural] don't think it's a game now, even with all the quests and the work they've put into it, and i'm going to have to call you a retarded idiot who should kill yourself with a shotgun blast through your throat so you slowly bleed to death and drown at the same time

I would like to know if it has the same level of environment diversity and enemy variety as Terraria. Terraria had tons of biomes and special events that could occur on the surface, underground, and even in the sky. It had tons of enemy and unique materrial types for each biome and there was usually a crazy boss for each one. Starbound was cool but it seemed like it lacked all of those things that Terraria did to set itself apart from a typical 2D sandbox game. When I played it in alpha, it seemed to lack a lot of those things and it was my expectation they would continue to be added through updates. Is it now worth playing again if I did everything it had to offer in alpha?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

i'm gonna wait to see how the new terraria update is before i commit to starbound

it's going to loving own and heck, $2.50 is a steal for all the extra free content terraria has.

Treebeh posted:

I would like to know if it has the same level of environment diversity and enemy variety as Terraria. Terraria had tons of biomes and special events that could occur on the surface, underground, and even in the sky. It had tons of enemy and unique materrial types for each biome and there was usually a crazy boss for each one. Starbound was cool but it seemed like it lacked all of those things that Terraria did to set itself apart from a typical 2D sandbox game. When I played it in alpha, it seemed to lack a lot of those things and it was my expectation they would continue to be added through updates. Is it now worth playing again if I did everything it had to offer in alpha?

the worst thing starbound lacks is stuff to do underground so mining isn't interesting. terraria had massive rad cave systems with traps and areas like the jungle, corruption chasms, and Hell. starbound has very cool random-gen dungeons and towns, but they are on the surface of planets only. however, biome diversity is fairly large, and they recently added ocean planets which will feature underwater villages. they are still missing a bunch of features, but there are quests, ship upgrades, and structured boss fights now. it's worth playing at the moment, in my opinion, but I would not fault you if you decide to wait until they actually have everything in the game.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i have never seen people so mad about free updates as the dumb terraria players

oh no they nerfed my weird teleport rod thing that i probably hacked into my game and could easily remod back to the way it was even though they added like 5 new bosses!

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i'm excited for all the new freaking terraria armor i saw in spoiler screenshots for 1.3

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Is there any difference in the races yet? Cause it seems like they all start out identically, but they have differently named armors and weapons that function identically.

Are the procedurally generated enemies interesting mechanically?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
now that the combat system isn't "if something touches you bad things happen" the enemy generation is good. they have a variety of attacks although the most common are body slam / dash attack / claw attack , which you can react to and evade or block. i believe that the size of the monster makes the attacks happen faster or slower, depending on what they are. some guys throw rocks at you and other spit bees or bubbles and it's all cool and rad.

they actually made the combat good, regardless of what retarded games posters say. perfect parrying with a block makes you take no damage and lose no stamina, while normal blocks you take reduced damage and lose both stamina and temporary shield durability (regenerates as long as you aren't blocking). you can jump around and shoot projectiles out of the air and it's rad

armor is all the same except for looks, they are supposed to eventually have different benefits and drawbacks to encourage you to find recipes for other racial gear
the melee weapons are basically all the same but the guns behave differently enough, and there are many different types
but i mean heck, the game still isn't done lmao

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

THE PENETRATOR posted:

it's a sandbox game. if you didn't think it was a game before, well, that's okay but you're gay.

Terraria is a cool game. A year ago, Starbound was barely a game. Calling it a sandbox didn't really excuse it from barely having any meaningful mechanics like Terraria (and even Minecraft) does. I was asking if that changed any.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Gimbal lock posted:

barely having any meaningful mechanics

lol if that's what you believe... *head shakes uncontrollably*

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I liked Starbound until it wiped the home base that my friends and I had spent countless hours building, including all of our gear and materials.

That's my main issue with the game as it is now, it's just too unstable.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

i have never seen people so mad about free updates as the dumb terraria players

oh no they nerfed my weird teleport rod thing that i probably hacked into my game and could easily remod back to the way it was even though they added like 5 new bosses!

It was mostly because of the dev nerfing everything every time a boss or event was "killed too quickly/easily"

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

PantsBandit posted:

I liked Starbound until it wiped the home base that my friends and I had spent countless hours building, including all of our gear and materials.

That's my main issue with the game as it is now, it's just too unstable.

The main thing they did after the last stable update, not the one that just happened, was finalize the world format so that won't happen again, and only generate when you go to a star so they won't have to wipe when they add new planet types

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i made someone mad enough to make this my new av lmfao

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Eonwe posted:

That AV sucks who gave it to you and from where

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Eonwe posted:

wow what a burn haha

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

That AV sucks who gave it to you and from where

nobody is owning up to it, but someone who reads the starbound thread in games got mad enough to buy me and at least one other person so far this av

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wootman posted:

wow what a burn haha

yea its a pretty epic burn, i got owned

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i love when people get so buttfrustrated that they change others avatars

i bet they always think they're doing something really clever too and aside from tailsbuttholeniggers retard face and stux's cartman av, they are almost never quite the burn i bet they were expecting

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

We should gas this thread though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

i bet they always think they're doing something really clever too and aside from tailsbuttholeniggers retard face and stux's cartman av, they are almost never quite the burn i bet they were expecting

yea, the av is hilarious but not for the reason they intended

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

VideoGames posted:

whoever gave cyra his most recent custom title is more retarded than the guy in the picture.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

whoever gave cyra his most recent custom title is more retarded than the guy in the picture.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Evil Eagle posted:

zdr/zfp can one of you reveal who the fail golem was who did that

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also if you are feeling up to it i would like to know who to thank for my new av

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Doctor Goat posted:

zdr/zfp can one of you reveal who the fail golem was who did that

I don't think even admins can do that unless it was done as a title through the mod queue.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

lol that the games thread is still full angry manchildren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Evil Eagle posted:

i honestly never seen such failure in my life until i saw it.

• Locked thread