Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

So... what if I'm the type of player who doesn't really care for customization of cosmetic elements? I don't really care for the drapes of my 2d pixellated house, or even my trousers.

good news, starbound basically ignored all that poo poo when compared to terraria, now you can play a bad game without worrying about one of its worst systems!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Starbound: And you may find yourself enabling spergs since 2013

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

grimcreaper posted:

Also, anyone who likes starbound should be forced to watch Voyager.

Hey I liked Voyager, it wasn't great and it wasted potential, bu--

grimcreaper posted:

I'm not talking about the whole show, just all the clips of 'there's a legend among my people' parts. In neelix' voice. On repeat.

Nevermind.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Patware posted:

good news, starbound basically ignored all that poo poo when compared to terraria, now you can play a bad game without worrying about one of its worst systems!
"Utterly content."

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I do like the starbound-voyager comparison.
Starbound:as voyager is to star trek

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
what the, its not even out ?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ahundredbux posted:

what the, its not even out ?

Updates will be fast and thick

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Apparently Rock, Paper, Shotgun likes version 1.0 quite a bit.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/21/starbound-pc-review/

Perhaps Starbound actually got good?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
no

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

JerikTelorian posted:

It's not perfect, but I've played through the unstable and I certainly enjoyed myself. There are a couple of wrinkles in the pacing - getting your ship operational still takes perhaps a little longer than it reasonably should, and the Hylotl part of the sandboxy main quest elements takes loving eons unless you look for an underwater city, which still takes goddamn ages because exploring underwater is a chore - but overall, I had fun. The storyline is kind of short and not very detailed, but it mostly serves as an excuse to unlock more crazy dungeons and bosses anyway (I think maybe... five have been added?).

The main improvements are in the sandbox gameplay, which was the right thing to focus on imo. Building colonies and collecting gifts from your tenants is kind of satisfying in a Stardew Valley sort of way, sidequests are pretty simple but can be an interesting diversion (just don't bother with the <adjective> Guard ones unless you're carrying around a poo poo ton of crafting materials), and recruiting crew is honestly a lot more satisfying than I anticipated (I have a medic and chemist who heal me to full and hit me with a jump stimpack every time I return to my ship, and I recently recruited a randomized sidequest boss who became a bandit after attempting to steal an entire ocean). You can completely bypass the pixel cost of upgrading your ship by maxing out its crew capacity, which instantly qualifies you for the next upgrade licence. Biomes are a bit more varied, there's more music variety, and the combat balance seems to be a lot better; if you're good and have a decent weapon, you can go pretty far without upgrading your armour much, and even then you can almost always buy current-tier armour from merchants that you come across. I'm pretty sure I only personally crafted maybe two pieces of armour and zero weapons before I reached the final boss, because I liked wearing a mismatched brigandine of pieces from various different species.

tl;dr: it got better than it was. If you wholeheartedly despised it then you probably won't like it now. If you thought it was a fun, chill experience but got stale, you'll greatly enjoy the added variety when you come back and see what's changed.

e: the addition of shops that offer weird and wonderful equipment and items in exchange for rare ingredients is nice, too. Instead of reaching the top tier of equipment and saying "okay, now what," you can explore around for vanity items and interesting crew members, and accrue the various rare monster bits and other doohickeys you need to turn your gauntlet into a sick-nasty bladed gauntlet or buy a crazy transforming crossbow from the shady trader who shows up near the Ark. It's a small difference, but it does really help to blunt the "you did everything, now wander in existential hell" feeling of passing the through last progression gateway and then kind of looking around helplessly.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 22, 2016

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

JerikTelorian posted:

is starbind good or is rps bad??

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

is starbind good or is rps bad??

I think they meet in the middle.

So, is the new thread not happening until 1.0 drops? Or is it until we find a suitable title for it?

Starbound: ....

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll have a good time with this, but lord knows it won't be perfect. If they kept the slow backwards walk, I wonder if it's easy to mod that out.

Likewise I wonder if they kept the bug where you lose loving everything if the game crashes. :v:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I will enjoy this release because I like tedious games that are no fun while I watch a movie

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
RPS has Very Bad Opinions about board games so they are allowed to occasionally have bad opinions about indie sandbox games too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

I will enjoy this release because I like tedious games that are no fun while I watch a movie

I just wanted to take a second here in the Starbound thread to let you know, SA goon Ahundredbux, that every time I see your username, I hear the voice of RK Maroon (Alan Tilvern) telling Eddie, "Alright, Valiant... ya got yer hundred bucks."

And I'm glad for it. :):respek::)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Fewd posted:

well that's not really a good comparison since terraria is good

unless you mean alternate universe in an event horizon kind of way where terraria cuts its eyes out, mutilates the hell outta itself, kills everyone and goes through a wormhole to the dimension of bad to reign as starbound, the lord of unstackable food

Starbound: Where we're going, we don't need fun content to play

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just wanted to take a second here in the Starbound thread to let you know, SA goon Ahundredbux, that every time I see your username, I hear the voice of RK Maroon (Alan Tilvern) telling Eddie, "Alright, Valiant... ya got yer hundred bucks."

thats funny whenever i see ur name i think "big dum idiot"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cheen posted:

thats funny whenever i see ur name i think "big dum idiot"

:negative: But... but I also don't really like Starbound that much.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

LordZoric posted:

RPS has Very Bad Opinions about board games so they are allowed to occasionally have bad opinions about indie sandbox games too.

What are these bad opinions.
I care more about Board Games than I do video even though I get to play them less

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I am also glad of being able to make another person glad :):respek::)

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Acne Rain posted:

What are these bad opinions.
I care more about Board Games than I do video even though I get to play them less

Sup fellow board game lover who never gets to play them.

RPS had several pieces gushing about Talisman, I game that I still occasionally have gaming PTSD over. The board game thread in tradgames discusses their board gaming articles quite often.

Edit: Said PTSD revolves around a two-hour long endgame involving two players slapfighting by moving back and forth to the same location while everyone else had to watch.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my friends bought me the steam version of talisman and i would minimise it between turns and eventually during a game i forgot i was playing and went to sleep and they finished the game waiting for my turn to time out every round

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Is this loving piece of poo poo at 1.0 yet? I want to be disappointed again.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

here are fun boardgames to play with friends: cosmic encounter with some bans / betrayal at house on the hill (getting an expansion finally) / munchkin with as few licensed expansions as possible / galaxy trucker (space trucker ??) / taro the path or something / not a boardgame but drawful

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

LordZoric posted:

Sup fellow board game lover who never gets to play them.

RPS had several pieces gushing about Talisman, I game that I still occasionally have gaming PTSD over. The board game thread in tradgames discusses their board gaming articles quite often.

Edit: Said PTSD revolves around a two-hour long endgame involving two players slapfighting by moving back and forth to the same location while everyone else had to watch.

Argh, yes, liking Talisman is a very bad opinion for what's supposed to be articles that are supposed to be critical of mechanics over the flash of presentation.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

LordZoric posted:

RPS wrote a short, gushing article about a lovely tamogotchi game I made in 2 weeks were you secretly have manic depression, and also barely works. Their metric is WEIRD.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

oddium posted:

here are fun boardgames to play with friends: cosmic encounter with some bans / betrayal at house on the hill (getting an expansion finally) / munchkin with as few licensed expansions as possible / galaxy trucker (space trucker ??) / taro the path or something / not a boardgame but drawful

*makes disdainful noise with mouth and nose*

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Shoehead posted:

RPS wrote a short, gushing article about a lovely tamogotchi game I made in 2 weeks were you secretly have manic depression, and also barely works. Their metric is WEIRD.

video games are arts that make me feel feelings

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

if a board game has victory points it's bad. oh except Carcassonne

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

oddium posted:

look at this weirdo who doesn't like dominion and 7 wonders

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

oddium posted:

there's plenty of good board games with victory points. like haven't you at least played dominion.

starbound does not have victory points and it's still bad.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I was worried I wouldn't be able to get the thread up in time because I'm still away from my computer but apparently 1.0 isn't out yet so what to heck

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Angry Diplomat posted:

turn your gauntlet into a sick-nasty bladed gauntlet

Did they ever manage to make the fist weapons not poo poo? I thought the concept was kinda neat but they were crippled by the reintroduction of touch damage making it impossible to use short-range weapons against monsters while NPC enemies just run away all the time so you couldn't do any fancy combos.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Babe Magnet posted:

I was worried I wouldn't be able to get the thread up in time because I'm still away from my computer but apparently 1.0 isn't out yet so what to heck

I think its out at 6pm BST? That's when the store updates

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Babe Magnet posted:

It comes out at 1pm EST, y'know... like most steam releases.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh okay

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
1.0 is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O6PUh3reG0

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://vine.co/v/5ZrHL5MAVU1 please put this in the new thread

Supernorn posted:

1.0 is out!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
As someone who got this a long time ago and then watched it get poo poo on for like a year, or two now maybe I cant keep track anymore, is it worth checking out again or are we just celebrating that a turd causing blockage has moved along?

• Locked thread