Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

deadly_pudding posted:

I know this thread is against :siren:fetch quests:siren:, but some sort of dynamic space trucker system between the Outpost and planets with villages would be absolutely my poo poo. Transporting goods and NPCs would give us something to use all those extra rooms in upgraded ships on.

Holy poo poo, I would LOVE this, especially if there were enemies trying to stop you, at least once in a while.

drat, way to make me want this.

I was thinking, you, as the player, are the only person who is planet hopping and discovering things. It'd be nice if there were radiant npcs or something, other characters who might visit your planet and try to be friends with you, or try to mess with you, like they were the player and you were an npc already on the planet, you know? It'd be awesome to just feel less alone.

EDIT: Also, can we get more pictures posted of various goons' ships and builds? I'd love to see how you guys are building and decorating your stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You all can complain all you want, but I'm going to build a super awesome base with skyrails and crazy poo poo, and no one can stop me :colbert:

And then when other stuff is updated to be better, I'll go questing or something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Is it just me or does this game feel not quite "spacey" enough? I think that the matter manipulator is a good step but the planets also don't feel alien enough if you understand what I'm trying to say.

No I get what you mean; every planet looks like a different Earth. I haven't been to a moon yet, but do you need a spacesuit? Is there any atmosphere?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Got the bug net, can't find any bugs (because my game loads :smug:). Help?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

I'll probably add a coordinates section to the OP like in the last thread

Oooh, this sounds good, I'm looking forward to flying across the galaxy, checking out neat stuff.

Also, hey everyone, I was looking at my 6 month old son's book collection, and saw "Starbound: the book".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I know that character info and universe info are separate, so without deleting your universe, every character you make is in the same one, but do they all automatically have the same starter planet? That's new, right? It used to be that a new character would be settled virtually anywhere.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

One thing I find silly is that there are so many crafting stations. Why not divide it into 3? Regular materials, food, and maybe fabrics? I don't like trying to remember what station lets me craft what. Just let me upgrade the crafting table, and we're good!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

To whomever was asking about the ship travel time, that's intentionally in the game in order to give more of a sense of travel and distance. I don't really mind it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

Glowing ore mod is another great candidate for the base I think. Make another ship upgrade available that costs some core ore, so you basically just have that first trip down to be your bit of a slog.

I agree. I'm not against ONE slog down in your home planet, as long as it makes further trips much easier. As it is, I cheated in the grappling hook, and holy poo poo, night and loving day. Love that thing, wish it was tier 1.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

StringOfLetters posted:

Then later I dived to the floor of an ocean world. Sinking and seeing the alien fish swim by, the light getting dimmer until I could only see my flashlight beam for a while, then finding a few cool glowing plants, was super atmospheric. I dug through the sand for a bit, scooping up ores, and then found a human outpost building in a sealed bubble of rock. There was no way in to it without opening up a dig hole and flooding its chamber, so I ran in and opened/shut the door quick enough that only a few inches of water came in, and settled in the basement. The lights were on, as well as a monitor. Two bunk beds and a few chests with pixels and like a lovely weapon. I wondered, how did this building get here? How did its human inhabitants get in or out? Was it some deep-sea habitat that got swallowed up by a freak tectonic shift? Were there people stranded down here, left to starve? I felt like there was a story that I would never know. Even if it's a procedural RNG thing, it seemed like a super unlikely fringe event to find this thing at all, like it was a rare and precious lightning strike of imagination food. Then I kept digging and found like three more identical houses in rock bubbles, plus four or five chambers of plastic plants embedded in the world's crust, and the RNG salt-shaker's illusion was broken.

This has convinced me to build somewhere below the sea. I do think that the RNG needs to cool it with those random buried rooms, there are WAY too many of them.

Also, wouldn't it be awesome if you were able to open up your single player universe to anyone who wanted to join? Like some sort of on-the-fly dedicated server, LAN-style, but for online. For how large this game is, it's pretty drat lonely, and I'd love for there to be some sort of better multiplayer support (like a single player game just automatically doubles as a potential multiplayer game) or at least way more convincing npcs, as I mentioned before (have some npcs travel around the universe, and maybe visit you).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is there ALWAYS lava at the bottom of a planet? Also, those HUGE planets that say 'can't land'... can you eventually land on them? What's with those?

EDIT: wait, are they ALL gas giants?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

RIP Mister Sandman perk

This makes me miss sandfarming/surfing. Is there a mod that brings that back?

Though, I do appreciate being able to suck up liquids. So much fuel from one tiny little moon! :toot:

Also, and this has nothing to do with anything, your username reminds me of R. K. Maroon finally giving in to Eddie Valiant, saying "Fine, Valiant, you got your hundred bucks."

EDIT: vvv Oh, well... that makes sense.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 3, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think having beacons sent out from people on planets, maybe they're stranded, maybe they need muscle, any reason to go to specific planets to help out, would be great. You could set yourself up like an interstellar bounty hunter/handyman/deliveryman/bodyguard. Even a bulletin board with different requests would be great. 'Go kill this guy, or bring him back alive for more of a reward', 'Wanted: 1,000 ears of corn', 'I need transport to Beta Phi XIII, will pay tons for the lift!', stuff like that.

Is that planned?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, Vib, if CF asked to incorporate everything you've done into the game-proper, would you be cool with that?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I wish that the 'universe' was consistent across all platforms. Think they'll fix that?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Now, I'm not one of those grognards who believe that a crafting-based game needs tons of bullshit tedium, but I do think that 10 fuel used for every space trip, no matter where, is kind of useless. Why have fuel at that point? I think the cost should grow, linearly, with the distance needed. Does that make sense to anyone else?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ScorpioMajesty posted:

So I made a small bed sized pool in my ship and, you guessed it, placed a bed in it and filled it with healing water. It works really well at making it so I spend like 3 seconds healing on my ship because they stack and my time is valuable.

I'm so doing this.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

For these goon servers you guys are mentioning, is there yet a way for anyone playing to see a list of other people currently online? Was there a way before and I just didn't know of it? A friend, months and months ago, was running a server, but unless I typed out his name to add to my party, I had no idea whether he was online, or if anyone else was on too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/the-emperors-new-clothes.2021/
This one should work. Also has blanking armor for the torso, leg, and back slots, to boot.

You know, I was just going to say "I hope they reference 'The Emperor's New Clothes' with that mode, and lo, it was thusly titled.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Are the devs planning on putting a temperature system back in to the game? I'm running around a snow planet without a care in the world.

Also it seems as if they've upped the fuel cost for travel, so I'm glad for that. Again, I'm not a fan of tedium, but it was kind of silly how 10 fuel let you go virtually anywhere.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

david... posted:

I tried looking on the official forums or whatever but they seem to constantly time out, is there a fix for the absolutely horrendous framerate drops I get? I was wandering through a Glitch town and it got as low as 10fps, same with the outpost, it's kind of nuts I can play something like Dying Light at max but Starbound cripples me.

I'm hoping that, with more updates, this kind of thing will be fixed with optimization.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It'd be nice to maybe have clothing that could keep your temperature at a good level for a limited period of time, and upgrading that gave you more time. So, you dress up, go outside and mine for a while, but can't stay out all night, otherwise you'd freeze/burn up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd love some procedurally-generated story, if that's even possible. Something that allows Starbound to be the type of game that you can tell stories about later on.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Guys, I'm having legitimate fun with the game, I'm decorating my house, and my ship, and all that stuff.

Am I ok? :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Deathwing posted:

Heh, I was starting to wonder the same thing sometimes.

Not that I couldn't come up with a long list of stuff to change, though - I think one of my main beefs at the moment is with the "random" generation of features on planets, there's no reason I should be digging down in a relatively small area and see the same exact Apex arcade room generated 2-3+ times, the same abandoned lab, etc.

Yeah, and I'm looking forward to this game having some sort of endgame, because I like screwing around and wasting time WAY more when I know there's a story or major goal I should be aiming for (no sarcasm. See also: Skyrim, Shenmue, Just Cause 2)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

I have a bad habit of doing this and then forgetting there actually IS a story, then i get burnt out on playing, quit, and then never finish it.

See, with me, I screw around for hours and hours, chip away at the story, and then continue screwing.

Right now, both activities are linked, since my aim is for ship upgrades... So I can screw around and decorate it more.

Any Mac OS X Apex dungeon co-ordinates? I need to steal their stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mutata posted:

I wish items you pick up were automatically added to the 3d printer like how in Animal Crossing New Leaf everything you touch is automatically added to the mail order catalog. Having to bring all your doodads back and run them through the scanner by hand is booorriiing and I like to keep a clean inventory, so I end up trashing a lot of stuff before I even get back to my ship.

Of course, if I could beam down to planets back to the place where I beamed up, maybe I would go back to my ship more often...

I actually would love it if there was some sort of intergalactic mail system, where I could order from a catalogue, and/or mail other Starbound players items.

Really, the closer Starbound gets to Animal Crossing, the closer it gets to perfection. You all know it's true.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Guys, what the hell is this?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Goons, I can't get Illuminated Ores to work, running OS X. What am I doing wrong?

Click for big

Originally, all of those .patch files were in the far-right mods subfolder, but I moved them when it didn't work (and it obviously still doesn't work).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Inverness posted:

Put the tiles folder and IlluminatedOres.modinfo inside a folder called IlluminatedOres

Thank you, that fixed it. Now, does the folder need to be titled the same thing as the .modinfo file?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh my god, I got my first Apex ship upgrade and I need all of the upgrades now. I'm obsessed.

I /admin all the boss fights because I just don't give a poo poo, and I also /admin any annoying-to-get ore that I've already discovered. I'm not quite sure what I really want out of this game, but I'm having fun just getting stuff done and hopping across the galaxy. I'm REALLY looking forward to planet bookmarking; holy poo poo, will that be awesome. No more will I be scared to change my home planet for fear that I'll never find it again. Did CF say that was coming up soonish?

Gene Banana is an excited space-ape.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 23, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't know, aside from obsidian, my 4x4 MM is doing a hell of a job already.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Planet bookmarking coming soon! :toot:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/569866866648227843

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There should be a goon server :smith: There are tons for Minecraft, I think a SB one would be great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ah ok, well, that makes sense, but sucks. I hope they're able to optimize it eventually; this game is so much better with other people.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I kind of wish they'd just do one more universe wipe and make each platform have the same co-ordinates.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

:toot: Those are awesome changes. I am curious, though, about how an economy is going to work when you can, mission dungeons-aside, take anything you want from anywhere.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Any statue of a backer I find I'm going to immediately trash :smug:

WAY TO WASTE YOUR MONEY, GUYS!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

http://playstarbound.com/march-6th-teleportation/

Teleport testing :toot:

Looks pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Aren't they going to be adding in some sort of economy?

• Locked thread