Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Trastion posted:

People actually do that poo poo? I just did myself to the end or build bridges over the lava and stuff.

The new implementation of dungeons actually prevents that kind of cheeseballing - until you disable the generator at the end.

Fun fact, though - you can parry the damage from an electric wall/floor. And once you've started parrying, you don't stop until you stop getting it, so if you parry as you land, you can just kind of bulldoze your way across with no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

So is it just me, or does a decent shield make the first couple of bosses stupidly easy? Especially if you can parry some of the big hits (crystal lasers, UFO rams) to save on durability. Like, it's not trivial, at all, but it seems WAY easier...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Tallgeese posted:

Wasn't there drama over there when CF did it?

One particular modder got upset with CF over the pace at which they were working and threw some kind of NDA-breaking hissyfit which resulted in his mod/credit being removed from the game.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Has anybody got suggestions on how to beat the Floran Party? Melee combat is the least fun thing in this game.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ahundredbux posted:

i want to mod in rrussom as a playable toilet

don't play with the toilet, that's gross

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

How frustrating. "Here's a really cool creative level-building feature! Now check out how much horrible bullshit progression/resource slog we're gating it behind. Thanks for the money, fuckers!"

Tengames posted:

You could tell that starbound devs never made railway paths because starbound development is incapable of being on track.

this is a good-rear end post tho

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Cicadas! posted:

Not gonna lie, this is pretty great.

Dude, this is Starbound. However good it looks will definitely be outweighed by how much it will cost to build.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Starbound: What has rails but is never on track?

sold

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Yeah, but how many colors of dirt does Terraria have? Six? None? :colbert:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Normal people put their item lists in data files and read them in at runtime. If you're hardcoding your item list, well, that thing works okay. Switch statements are almost never appropriate for anything, ever, FYI.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

deadly_pudding posted:

This works, too, but I'd prefer the hardcode version honestly in a game with online multiplayer support.

And I'd prefer the softcode version in a game with mod support! Support your modders, guys, they're probably better at this than you are to begin with.

senae posted:

Not necessarily from a game design point of view, maybe, but switch statements would be helpful for making a series of discrete input options. Like you've got a dropdown with several possible options, a switch statement can be more readable, and a little easier to expand.

My main problem with switch statements is that I've never seen a language that makes them take up less lines of code than an if-else block. Their main feature is fall-through cases, which are mostly a great way to put invisible bugs in your code. Literally the first book I ever read about programming a computer included an example of a program with a broken switch block.

I guess I would use a switch block for things where I need 4 or more values to go to the same place, but as long as it's one-value-one-destination, if-else is going to be less likely to gently caress off and die.

Seven Force posted:

I know this is OT but I appreciate the detailed responses. It's nice to know efficient ways to code stuff.

gently caress this topic

Seven Force posted:

On topic: I can't believe I used to defend this game. :(

A true life lesson I have learned is never to ever defend a video game. Play it or don't.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 7, 2016

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The best thing about Unity for me is that it has Actual loving C# (2.0) under the hood. C# is not the best language, but it is feature-complete, so you won't struggle too hard implementing whatever algorithm you might need. Godot and Game Maker both use proprietary languages, which comes back to bite you in obscure ways.

If you're not that into programming, though, you'll probably have less trouble. Unity and GM are both very good at simulating objects interacting in an environment, which is what most games amount to.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Which way to the game dev thread? I can't find it at all, and I know there's a lot of crosstalk between there and here.

EDIT:

Cicadas! posted:

I can't leave well enough alone

help

These are great but why no hand-axe?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

LordSaturn posted:

Which way to the game dev thread? I can't find it at all, and I know there's a lot of crosstalk between there and here.

Found it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853

If you came to this thread to read about a game being developed, maybe you'd be better served over there.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ahundredbux posted:

I'm still amazed the OP of this thread has more effort put into it than the actual game

Bullshit, man. Effort spent taking the fun out of the game is still effort. It's a labor of stupid, abusive love.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i think all the 'good' stuff is in the nightlies

Babe Magnet posted:

This is the thing here. The walk-backwards-speed normalization is in the nightlies, all of the interesting weapons and items are in the nightlies, biomes, quests, the new game mechanics like ship-hands and followers and fossil collecting, all or most of that stuff is sealed away in the nightlies right now so if you're interested in seeing what's been going on with the game for the past few months then you're going to be waiting more.

this is to leave themselves enough time to cut it all before the next stable release

don't worry, Tiy won't let anyone unretard his baby

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

literally every drop of that would be fine if they hadn't also ripped the game to shreds

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

SlyFrog posted:

It's the naive, young goon lack of awareness that while correlation is not causation, there often is a very real connection between what seems to be an excessive focus on loving around and things not related to the game and, well, not actually producing a game.

At least I think it is a young goon thing. I see it most often in idealistic young goons, who also don't understand why they can't work from home and if they can get all their work done in an hour per week they should get a full salary because all of these ideas of showing up for work and working hard are outdated and the older man just does not understand it.

Basically, I'm the older detective in a cop drama. I'm tired, and I've seen this poo poo before.

this is a loving long wire to draw from starbound being a lovely game

how about "Tiy is loving dumb when it comes to making a fun game, but real smart in terms of organizing reasonable people into a system for making GBS threads all over a promising new game so hard that it damages the genre"

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

OrangeSoda posted:

Is this true? With the summer sale going on iv'e been thinking about picking it up. I need something chill to play inbetween the bouts of pain and vomiting that has been my "four day weekend".

If you wish to replicate this experience download spacebase DF-9.

It's weird and slow (who makes a DF-like with no fast-forward feature?), but "suck" would be putting very strongly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Afraid of Audio posted:

my dad got me exploding kittens because yes this is definitely a thing i want to have

holy poo poo are you me

he actually got the KS version that meows at you when you open it

• Locked thread