Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Holy poo poo, did they seriously make picks break so fast? I haven't played this game for a year and in the last hour I got enough for the rest of 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It's sorta amazing but I installed the "ores galore" version of More Ores mod, which basically makes your screen full of all ores all the time, and it still feels tedious. Definitely better, but still feel like something's missing.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

XboxPants posted:

Mining ore blocks isn't an inherently fun enough mechanic for it to be the focus of your gameplay, regardless of how many ores you have spawning. It would need to, like, have a puzzle mechanic or something, like a Super Motherload-type game, for it to be that fun. Like bonus combo chains when you mine the same type of ore or something.

But mining is probably never going to be the core of this game - so instead it needs to be something you do occasionally while you explore and look around for interesting content. That's probably the strongest part of Starbound's gameplay, and what the whole game should center around.

But the MM needs to be really fast for that sort of "drive-by mining". Which is why it feels so sluggish and frustrating right now - because every time you have to mine, you're essentially being asked to stop doing the fun stuff to do something repetitive & boring, in order to gain access to more fun stuff.

I meant the game in general. And for an example on fun mining, just look at Minecraft - there's just something satisfying about spelunking in Minecraft, you got extensive caves and canyons and stuff, you can spelunk for hours and it just feels fun. Starbound on the other hand, has very little caves, you actually have to install a mod to have more caves, but since it's not part of the core mechanic, the tacked-on caves don't feel that good. Terraria, IIRC, had a lot more caves going on, and digging between them was faster.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

XboxPants posted:

I'm drawing a distinction here between "Spelunking" in general - caving, in other words, and all that entails - and "Mining", specifically just breaking blocks with your MM or a pick, and nothing else. I guess I could have said "breaking blocks".

I don't think "Mining" was all that fun in Minecraft, either. It really wasn't all that fun or satisfying just to break blocks, though it was a little better than in Starbound.

Very small things contribute to this, like sound design, how the mined materials fall on the ground, what the notification looks like for picking up blocks, how different the "exciting" blocks look from the surrounding tiles, how the lighting changes when you break a block, poo poo like that. Things like that can make the pure act of breaking a block and collecting a piece of ore fun, even without doing any exploration or combat or anything else. There are entire games that center around it, and succesfully so. Starbound's lacking in that department.

Also the amount of mining required. In Minecraft, you can just spelunk and explore and mine up whatever ores you encounter and you'll be fine, especially because you can just do whatever you want instead of following a linear crafting progression. In Starbound, you need way too many ores so you end up needing to dedicate yourself to mining.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The technology of high-powered lamps was lost forever with Earth's tentacle invasion.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Vib Rib posted:

I know this is mostly a joke and this is a pretty :spergin:y thing to segue into from it, but I hate that "parkour" is the go-to name for even the most simple things like grabbing a ledge and pulling yourself up in a video game. That's not parkour, that's just pulling yourself up onto a ledge.
Like, I once made a Minecraft map with a jumping puzzle, and literally every LPer I saw who stumbled upon it went "Oh hey, a parkour challenge!" It's just a jumping puzzle, goddammit!
All right, sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

Hey man didn't you know? Prince of Persia was a parkour challenge game, following on the footsteps of Jet Set Willy

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Awesome! posted:

has anyone considered the fact that the stars have not consented to being bound and this whole game is incredibly troubling?
?

WE... WILL... NOT... BE .. BOUND!!!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

grimcreaper posted:

HEY! i know that reference! Homeworld 1!

Yes that was a great game my favorite race was the Zerg :)

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Games > Starbound: a warm and welcoming community of Lamars!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Cicadas! posted:

P. sure that was supposed to be a feature but it was too hard or something.

They probably implemented it by accident but then saw it and thought "oh no, this makes the game more fun, better patch it out", like the fast sand mining and ore thing.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

This is pretty much what I expected, to be honest.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Rhopunzel posted:

Thank you! Seriously. That means so much to me.

From all the things I saw of yours across all Starbound threads (and some other game? I forget), you are an awesome pixel artist and if I had money to spare I would throw money your way to make some pixel space trucks or something, I remember playing Starbound and thinking "I wish there was a game where I could be a chill space trucker with this aesthetic".

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It's almost like stupid people who take their "vision" too seriously instead of putting effort into making a good game, make bad games. Wow and this has only repeated itself, like, infinity times. You'd think they'd learn like WOPR learned at the end of War Games.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Jorge Bell posted:

In addition to adding more pre-genned monsters (actually not a horrible move but we're 3 years into EA) they've also added devices that will detect pockets of ore (color coded) and tunnels with sonar-like pings emanating from a hand-held device, assumingly to remove a couple layers of tedium from the process of digging through eight million tiles of bullshit.

Note: "fairly late in the game"

They will add these two detectors, which make the routine grinding less tedious, but you will only be able to craft them AFTER you have gone through 90% of all the grind. Yes, very smart move.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I like some sandbox games but I wish they weren't all trying to cash into the crafting-survival-building hype so much. I mean I remember the days of early Sid Meier's sims, I wouldn't mind some games with actual game design with a process behind it, and not just 100% reliance on EMERGENT GAMEPLAY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Game good yet? y/n

• Locked thread