Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elentor posted:

Out of curiosity, how is this game's wiring/logics system? Minecraft and as of the latest patch Terraria have some pretty cool stuff.

IF (trap tile is placed)
{
IF (playerHitbox.intersects(trapTile))
{
playerHP=0;
}
}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

IF (trap tile is placed)
{
{
playerHP=0;
}
}

Oh well, that's disappointing.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Elentor posted:

Oh well, that's disappointing.

*very frantically gesturing at post and pointing at game*

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

where is my promised vita port CF

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Where is my promised good game, CF

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
And you may tell yourself
This is not my vita port

This is not my good game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The White Dragon posted:

IF (trap tile is placed)
{
{
playerHP=0;
}
}

why is intersects a value inherent to the playerHitbox object. why is there no actual argument in that statement. i know you're better than this

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Jackard posted:

This is not my vita port

This is not my good game

Playing starbound is a once in a lifetime event.
Because you'll never turn it back on.

Starbound1.0: Same as it ever was (Bad)

Rrussom fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 31, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Starbound's wiring system is okay, better than minecrafts, not as good as terraria's latest update.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Why is this game still so unfun. I bought this poo poo asap because I used to play Terraria with tiy when he started making those PvP maps where you mine the other teams diamonds or whatever. This should have been such an easy thing to make fun. Why is it getting worse.I booted it up again today and I hate myself even more for it. Does someone have a link to any working mod that makes it not a chore to play? Is there any reason to play this poo poo?

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007
Starbound has good wiring with logic gates and stuff, but excessive wiring causes the game to lag a ton. This caused the fps to drop by like half back when it was made (all those lights were wired to a switch), and i don't think they've optimized wiring since then

Not as good a Terraria's new wiring, though.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Remember how monsters are supposed to be procedurally generated? Neither does Chucklefish.

http://playstarbound.com/do-glitch-dream-of-electric-fluffalo/

In addition to adding more pre-genned monsters (actually not a horrible move but we're 3 years into EA) they've also added devices that will detect pockets of ore (color coded) and tunnels with sonar-like pings emanating from a hand-held device, assumingly to remove a couple layers of tedium from the process of digging through eight million tiles of bullshit.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, it says those aren't monsters you fight, but livestock you raise for producing crafting materials.

So they're not actually making pre-gen monsters, they're making pre-gen things htat are probably a pain in the rear end to keep healthy and alive, knowing this game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

Well, it says those aren't monsters you fight, but livestock you raise for producing crafting materials.

So they're not actually making pre-gen monsters, they're making pre-gen things htat are probably a pain in the rear end to keep healthy and alive, knowing this game.

Well, crops and trees can't make any real progress growing while you are off planet. Clearly, this means livestock can't starve while you are off planet because to do so would be just plain silly to have one form of farming nonfunctional off planet while the other keeps the clock ticking.

Or, they will and people will heap praises on it calling it "immersion" either or.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

WHATS GOING ON CHAMPS AND CHAMPETTES. ITS YA BOY PBAT AND WELCOME TO STARBOUND

https://www.twitch.tv/beatthedev

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Wow, Pbat looks very... different than I would have expected.

Has he made an anvil yet?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I didn't see one.... aaaaaaaand it's over. Mollygos vs YA BOY in a building competition, he won somehow.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Jorge Bell posted:

In addition to adding more pre-genned monsters (actually not a horrible move but we're 3 years into EA) they've also added devices that will detect pockets of ore (color coded) and tunnels with sonar-like pings emanating from a hand-held device, assumingly to remove a couple layers of tedium from the process of digging through eight million tiles of bullshit.

Note: "fairly late in the game"

They will add these two detectors, which make the routine grinding less tedious, but you will only be able to craft them AFTER you have gone through 90% of all the grind. Yes, very smart move.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Well of course. The point of video games is fun. Why do you think you don't have to earn your fun?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rip ded game

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Surely, *THIS* game will be good!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

god drat it don't do this to me again

my poor old heart can't take another

e: Damned if it doesn't look fresh as hell, though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Star Planetbound.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cicadas! posted:

god drat it don't do this to me again

my poor old heart can't take another

e: Damned if it doesn't look fresh as hell, though.

i checked some reviews and apparently the trailer has more stuff in it than the game does right now, but yeah, it's probably not hard to actively beat out starbound if the devs are remotely competent

in their to-do thing they're aiming to add mod compatibility so that'll be good

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Recommend renaming the thread to Planet Centauri so we can go through the whole cycle again without anyone needing to write anything

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think you'll find people wholeheartedly buying into it the second they see it as much as it'll just be people watching it to see if it passes by Crowd Favorite, Starbound

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

it'll just be people watching Planet Centauri to see if it passes by crowd favorite, Starbound
Looks like it did that straight out the gate :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

Surely, *THIS* game will be good!

Hey, I'm optimistic.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I love how both games are promising ocean biomes in the future

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i should've changed that stupid lock, i should've made you leave your key, if i had known for just one minute you'd be back to bother me

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't think you'll find people wholeheartedly buying into it the second they see it as much as it'll just be people watching it to see if it passes by Crowd Favorite, Starbound

Jackard posted:

Looks like it did that straight out the gate :v:
A few of the reviews on steam seem to claim it's done that already yeah.

nerdz posted:

I love how both games are promising ocean biomes in the future
... both? What do you mean both? I... clearly remember exploring a world which was 90% underwater in Starbound some time back. Did they take that out?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
In a development that surprised no one, Planet Centauri is actually bad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vib Rib posted:

Care to elaborate? I think everyone in here would like to legitimately know why, not that we're surprised.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I'm the weed fairy from the trailer

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zereth posted:

A few of the reviews on steam seem to claim it's done that already yeah.

eh, steam reviews are sketchy at the same time they can be used to measure general game quality

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

In what way? C'mon man don't leave us hanging

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

eh, steam reviews are sketchy at the same time they can be used to measure general game quality
I did say "claim". Glancing at steam reviews was all the investigation I cared to do, I am so, so done with early access.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Starbound: I am so, so done with early access

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

So much of the stuff in that trailer appears to be blatantly stolen. It looks like that mech sprite is the same sprite as when mechs were supposed to be in Starbound. The tunnelling worm thing isn't the same sprite as Terraria, but its the same monster behavior. Some of the tilesets look the same. I don't know if some of these assets are outright stolen or just being copied. Either way, it's usually not an indicator that a game is going to be good when so much is 'borrowed" like this game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Bilal posted:

So much of the stuff in that trailer appears to be blatantly stolen. It looks like that mech sprite is the same sprite as when mechs were supposed to be in Starbound. The tunnelling worm thing isn't the same sprite as Terraria, but its the same monster behavior. Some of the tilesets look the same. I don't know if some of these assets are outright stolen or just being copied. Either way, it's usually not an indicator that a game is going to be good when so much is 'borrowed" like this game is.

Not that this game looks great mainly because the controls look floaty to me but that mech and the worm are generic as all hell looking and neither concept nor design originated in Terraria or Starbound.

• Locked thread