Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Star bound is good now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

First Bass posted:

I haven't played this game since like the fourth alpha build, do goons hate it now or something and if so is there at least a sad/funny story behind it?

It's so good that we had a 500 page thread raving about how good it was and mocking all the 4 chan neck beard re tards who said it was a bad game, when its actually really good and good.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Imaginary Friend posted:

There's actually an attempt at a dark souls mechanic in now. If you block with a shield just before you get hit all damage is negated and the shield doesn't loose its Health or whatever it has. You can block with the big swords that don't shoot poo poo (I Think?) also. It's a bit easier since you don't have to time it right before taking damage.

Also, holy poo poo this game needs some kind of semi-dynamic economy thrown in because with the outpost it's even more obvious how static the procedural universe is.

Putting in any kind of economy to this game (letting you sell items) would totally break the game and it would take them forever to balance it. A wooden table, crafted just from wood planks, is "worth" 300 pixels.

Also, does it bother anybody else that the 3D printer seems to have been completely forgotten? I thought it was going to be an awesome way to circumvent grind (find any item, duplicate any item forever) but like 90% of the items I try to scan you can't scan into the printer. On top of that the stuff you can scan has ridiculous pixel values (500 pixels to print a small wooden chest.)

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Fermented Tinal posted:

Is having the outpost merchants selling what appears to be every possible decorative block normal? That's a long as gently caress list and the lack of a search function makes finding things like eggs and milk in the list a tedious process, especially since you can't grab the scrollbar and move it.

E: It would appear that everything also shows up in my crafting tables.

BUG SPOTTED

Do you have admin mode on? It enables all crafting recipes in all the different dialogue boxes.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Is the reason this only works with new characters because you otherwise need to use the _merge command? I tried to figure that thing out yesterday and I couldn't get it to work.

Has anybody beaten the Floran mission without cheating?

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

There is no way that the developers making this game tested their own boss fights. It's stupid difficult to destroy the 4th boss penguin mech.

Firstly, you drop into a tiny open arena with no cover, no areas to jump to, etc. It's Fox Only No Items Final Destination. First he starts with bursts of 3 missiles. Missiles are easy enough to destroy (can't be dodged because they home in, if you jump over them they rotate and gain insane speed.) But they do about 90% of my health if I get hit. After you take him down a little bit of health, he switches to an electrical arc attack that fills the screen. These are somewhat easy to dodge or block. Then he switches to a flamethrower attack, which is really weak, which I'm convinced is to lure you into a false sense of security.

After using the flamethrower attack, he does this move where he sprints across about 75% of the arena, with no telegraph whatsoever, at insane speed. Does 330 damage and kills me in one hit. All in all you basically cannot get hit once in that boss fight because it'll do 80-100% of your health in one hit. I've done this fight probably 20 times over by now and I'm just going into admin mode and cheating my way through it.

I would love for any one of the Starbound devs to post a video of themselves beating the penguin mech without godmoding and using the armor and weapon tiers that you would have in normal gameplay. I doubt they can.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

I died once to the boss. Then i knew its attacks. And had bandages. It died relatively quickly.

Or, you could use the cheap method and shoot the poo poo out of it while its off screen and out of aggro range. cheater.

Post a vid so I can watch how you did it, I tried googling and youtube and I can't find anyone killing this boss, all the results are from the old version from last year.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Ass_Burgerer posted:

So I just got this game this morning (rip me) and I'm wondering if there's any tips you guys have for completely new player that doesn't involve uninstalling. Are there any must-have mods I should look at?

I got this game because sale and I really liked terraria and I'm lioking for something that smells "new."

The only must have mod in my opinion, and the only mod I have installed, is the Illuminated Ores mod. Makes ores glow underground so you can see them immediately. This drastically cuts down how boring mining is because while it's still slow, you know exactly where you need to dig.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

I died once to the boss. Then i knew its attacks. And had bandages. It died relatively quickly.

Or, you could use the cheap method and shoot the poo poo out of it while its off screen and out of aggro range. cheater.

Where is there to stand where he's off screen and out of aggro range? There's nowhere to go.

I tried to cheese it by using the grappling hook to open the vertical hatch and then zoom back up and plink him from up there, but it's not possible.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Is it just me or does this game feel not quite "spacey" enough? I think that the matter manipulator is a good step but the planets also don't feel alien enough if you understand what I'm trying to say.

You haven't progressed far enough yet. There's planets that are really bizarre with piles of eyeballs instead of dirt and trees made out of metal or sprouting human brains as leaves.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Yeah, I did this. It's how I knew what those functions were named. Changing them does nothing for the matter manipulator.

I actually grabbed a couple of these mods after trying to replicate what i'd done for the last stable. Those mods are all essentially identical to what I had already tried. Unfortunately, it looks like there may be another bit hiding somewhere else that needs to change. Alternately, i'm making a really obvious mistake somewhere, so if someone else wants to take a pass at it i'd be grateful.

Sounds like you're having the exact same problem that I was having. First, unpacking the assets and then editing them does nothing. The game doesn't read from that directory. You have to go to the giraffe storage folder in your starbound directory and make a folder for a new mod. Then put the modded files in the right spot inside the mod directory. So mods/YourMod/items/tools/miningtools and then throw your modded beamaxe files in there. You would think that would be enough but the game won't load the files unless you also have a modinfo file. It should look like this:

code:
{
  "name" : "IlluminatedOres",
  "version" : "Beta v. Upbeat Giraffe",
  "path" : ".",
  "dependencies" : [],
  "metadata": {
    "author" : "Amadox",
    "description" : "Slightly glowing ores to make them easier visible",
    "version" : "1.1a"
  }
}
This is for the illuminated ores mod and when I tried making my own mod I just copied it over, edited and renamed it and after I did that it loaded the changes I made.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

That's weird, Steam just started updating Starbound for me, for some reason.
...and it appears to have deleted the launcher.

Playing the executable manually, it looks like my large old chests now hold 24 instead of 16 items. So that's neat.
On further inspection, many of my containers are now larger.

Starbound - Update Queued here. Guess I'll back up my saves first in case they've decided to break stable.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

TheBlandName posted:

I'm pretty sure armor is just a percentage reduction though. I'll admit I didn't extensively test a variety of equipment, but my one-handed swords were dealing the same percentage of listed damage as my big hammer was. Though there are other reasons why low fire rate high damage weapons are better. You need to spend less time looking at your target, and you get more free energy from your last shot.

It's not a percentage reduction as far as I can tell- I went to a high tier planet with an appropriately leveled assault rifle and shotgun (about 500 DPS for each) and the assault rifle did about 3 damage per hit to Miniknog enemies. The shotgun did absolutely no damage. Only my 567 damage plasma sniper rifle was able to damage them (and in fact did significant damage letting me kill them in 3-5 shots.) Armor is broken for ranged weapons.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Imaginary Friend posted:

Hell, this could even be expanded to having your own merchant npcs that require a player-built structure on a planet with a village that slowly trade and give you the earnings after a few hours of gameplay.

I just want to build my poop-dirt empire, dammit! buying low, selling high! Poop, poop, poop!

Yeah Chucklefish let me build a trading post and ferry raw materials around X3/Elite/other space sims style. Or let me smuggle illegal stuff in my big freighter.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

Also, there really needs to be a mod that makes MorphBall not have a running energy cost; that is loving stupid.

It doesn't negate fall damage either making it useless compared to the bounce bubble.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Zombie Samurai posted:

People keep saying they want some kind of shipping/trading/mercantile system and quests. Would that fall within the current capabilities of the modding system? I'm surprised there isn't something like that already.

I'm certain it's doable but would require Lua scripting. Having to actually do code stuff is a major obstacle for the majority of us. I've been poking at Lua tutorials but I just have no background whatsoever so I don't think I'll get very far. I definitely want some kind of economy mod.

Bilal fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 2, 2015

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

Guns are awful. I have yet to find a decent one and the crafted suck too. Not to mention, if you dont use the Magitech lovely armor you can only shoot one round before energy needs to recharge.

The Cerulium Technomancy stuff does less than 10 damage to max level humanoid mobs. (Werent those mobs supposed to be balanced with the patch?) Seriously, Impervium gear is the only stuff that semi-lets you live at end game. There are a ton of planets with mobs and humanoids that 1 shot you while taking a minimum of 4(mobs) and 15(humanoids) hits to kill using the strongest 2handed weapons. WTF is CF thinking?

I went from being "OMG AWESOME :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" to "gently caress this game, it sucks rear end" in the span of about 10 minutes. But thats also partially becuase Apex Lockers got nerfed and i lost 700+ bars of the 3 end game metals and almost 1k diamonds. gently caress this game. Im gonna go play Terraria which sucks rear end but not as much as Starbound.

This is the best grimcreap'd post to date

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

Rocket launchers, grenade launchers, and some slow sniper rifles are good. Fast shooting weapons are good almost never (1 boss as an alt weapon, and clearing pots for your big guns). The magic staffs are in a similar spot, where they're really good in certain cases, but terrible for general use. The 2h weapons with parry are very nice, and 1h+shield is good too (grenade launchers are 1h!). Basically they're still doing armor as some combination of a % reduction combined with a flat reduction, so once something has armor the faster a weapon is the more it gets penalized. On the other hand, once you get a certain amount of armor fast attacks do nothing to near-nothing to you as well.

Really the flat reduction needs to go from general armor, add it onto shields, and give some enemies shields. Then they need to look at the energy costs of faster weapons, because in general the energy needed to kill with one big slow shot is a lot less than with a bunch of fast ones, even against a 0 armor target.

Yeah it works both ways. In high tier armor if you come across NPCs with high fire rate weapons (uzi type smgs, avian blasters, etc) you can stand there as they spray you down and do 0 damage to you, kind of unbalances NPC fights a little bit.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

I haven't gotten any feedback on if it was poo poo or not, but at the top of page 19 I posted the run down of how I prep/get-to the boss. It should only take a minute or two to get back to the boss. For the fight itself I trigger the bottom left switch at the start, then move clockwise the entire time. Parry when I have to cross a beam, heal every time you get hurt. Basically the only time I die on it anymore is when I accidentally side dash and travel through 4 different beams and insta-gib myself.

Nah it was good, I think everyone skipped over it because it was a bunch of words and we've all conditioned ourselves to be one-line shitposters from Starbound thread #1.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

The Mattybee posted:

What would be the ideal ways for you to mine, Starbound thread?

I want the mod thing I have to not just expand the MM options but to add other mining things.

This is racist

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

senae posted:

edit: ^^^^^^
Basically this: Temperature should be an interesting building puzzle.

IMO It would be cool as hell if they repurposed the liquids system (which seems pretty good) for the heating system, and made heatstroke/frostbite into debuffs (that only apply after a while) instead of straight damage.

Like, make heat sources (on cold planets only) eject an invisible, non-interactible liquid that floats up and can slowly drain through certain blocks (doors and hatches, mostly, I wouldn't want to be the poor sap that had to insert "heat retention" into every block in starbound). At a certain "water pressure" it's just like working in a standard non-cold planet, and you get as much time working outside as usual. Hot planets could be the same, except fans and ac units eject a cold air liquid that acts the same as the warm air but sinks.

In Temperate planets heat sources and cold air sources could just be decoration.

This would also give the opportunity to expand on food a bit more (give a warmth or cooling buff on foods that be relevant. Eat a hearty stew and you get a few minutes where your body temp doesn't fall as fast?)

Or just make $BodyTemperature += n($PlanetTemperature); if(abs($BodyTemperature) >= $TooHot) {$Player.Health -= abs($PlanetTemperature)}

What they need to do is make lava kill monsters. I was on a volcanic planet and a bunch of monsters chased me into a ravine, so I jumped out and tried to kill them by pouring lava on them, and it didn't even damage them. C'mon Starbound team this is basic stuff here.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

Starbound is a fantastic game. Better than Aliens: colonial marines. Which is another of my favorite games

This is true.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

The plot thickens

oddium posted:

Shmorky would be a Hyotle (Japan --> Sumo --> Sumo loin cloth --> Diapers)

Lol

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

hello, any thing new with the Starbound?

thank you

There are no new Starbound features to report at this time.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

You said you spent $10 to rent Paul Blart, the mall cop movie... but this is a screenshot (?) of you torrenting it? Look I don't like to throw around baseless accusations, but I think you're loving lying dude.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Condolences.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Does anybody have anything good to say about the slow backwards walk? Anyone? A single person? I'm polling the entire thread, I want to find somebody who actually likes it.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Okay I wanted to see the new update so I reinstalled. Apparently when you uninstall this game it wipes your saves. I didn't have my save when I reinstalled. Now in most games when you uninstall it keeps your user config and saved data, but I guess when you uninstall Starbound it just wipes your whole starbound directory including saves and installed mods.

BUT I kept a backup of my whole save folder including worlds and everything. So I put in my backup and it loaded and works, except I can't find my base I built on a planet that had all my storage and everything. I've had to manually punch in coordinates for like an hour, watching loading screen after loading screen because having to watch the ship travel through space for extended periods of time is immersive. I can't find it anywhere. Is there any other way this game can piss me off?

EDIT: Why is the performance so bad again? The game absolutely chugs now when it was fine before. Is there some specific version I'm supposed to launch to make it not a slideshow? I don't have a bad PC at all.

Bilal fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 27, 2015

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

XboxPants posted:

I'm argumentative to a fault and will find a way to play devil's advocate sometimes even just as a mental practice, but man, slow backwalk is SO bad. MAYBE if it was a totally different control scheme, like a gamepad instead of mouse & keyboard, it could have some possible potential, but as things stand it's super dumb.

Slow backwards movement is something that would work in a 3D game so you can't just backpedal endlessly while shooting an attacking melee enemy. In a 2D game where the backpedal direction is determined by where your cursor is on the screen it doesn't work at all- it's just so clunky and bad.

Okay, I have managed to find my home base and I'm going to start building a colony. I anticipate this will be fun, as I had lots of fun building houses for NPCs in Terraria. If this doesn't entertain me I don't know what will in this game.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I built a colony and the building was fun. When I placed the NPC markers so the guys would move in, they pretty much just walk around doing nothing except occasionally give me like, rice, or a stalk of wheat. You use a ton of resources, materials, and time in order to get like, a seed, or 6 bandages.

I assume this is just a placeholder system and the rewards will be good in the future. I like the colony idea for sure.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

So I actually did end up trying out the patch but the game still takes too long to get going since you have to do so much bullshit, like collecting core fragments and manipulator fragments, that I ended up playing Civ V instead.

There's just this constant feeling of having obstacles in the way of "the real game"... This game is like that friend who keeps telling you the real game starts at max level when you're playing a boring rear end MMO.

There is no "real game." Once you do all of the progression, it's over. There's no "free roam" activity to do. I played the new patch with a previous save that had all of the progression missions completed. I spent a few hours building a whole colony and that was it. There wasn't anything more. All the colonists do is give you seeds and other trash. There's no dialogue or interaction. There's no further exploration to do- everything is randomly generated but it's all the same. There's no economy. There's no plot. There's no dialogue or interesting NPCs. There are no hidden treasures that are worth anything. There's nothing to find. I uninstalled two days later. There needs to be some kind of overarching goal that just isn't in the game yet.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

In the beginning the Starbound thread on SA was nothing BUT goons mocking 4channers/others for bitching about the game and Chucklefish. As time went on it seemed like SA was one of the last places that was actually positive about the game. Then development stagnated so long and the game got worse and worse with each update that it became impossible to ignore that this game is not good and Chucklefish have zero clue what they're doing. A game that has been developed for years does not have the basic systems finalized. At every turn the can gets kicked down the road a little more, "OK yes it's been slow but NOW the updates will start coming!" And then the game is worse. "Yes it's slow now but moving into a central office will greatly improve productivity" nope "Ok but we had a lose-lose situation in Early Access where we had to get SOME kind of placeholder system in the game to make it playable now that that's done we can develop the game for REAL now" nope "It's Just like Castlevania now!!!!" nope.

Unlike Star Citizen, Starbound will likely be completed, but it will never be completed in a satisfactory way because the developer's idea of how the game should be is the opposite of anything any of us would consider fun. Water your plants bitch. Walk backwards slow bitch. Mine ore from sand the hard way bitch. This is real challenge. We're real game Darksouls castlevania diablo borderland now.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Lol they returned smelting back to how it was when the game first hit early access.

I'd like to joke that the final starbound release will just be the whole game rolled back to the very first EA version, but we all know it will be worse.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Excelzior posted:

it's a "classic" example of a piece of poo poo

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

I still don't get why anyone would want to move their business -into- london (when said business doesn't involve selling things to londoners at obscene prices).

A bunch of 20 something nerds suddenly had a lot of money and wanted to live in a "cool" urban setting where everybody talks like Doctor Who and the other half dozen sophisticated British detectives on the lovely network television shows.

Actually, forgive me. It wasn't "a bunch of," it was probably like two or three of them that came up with the idea and then told everyone else "move to another country or you're fired."

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

LordZoric posted:

Looks like you'll be able to live out your Firefly fantasy now with a crew system! I'll admit I like the concept of this idea, but it just screams 'nice to have' to me. I'm really curious as to how they prioritize features. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they define minimally viable product for Starbound as "has a lot of things from other video games that I think is fun."

quote:

When your crew is large enough you’ll receive a ship upgrade license.

They are still messing around with the progression. I mean it does say right there that if you want to skip recruiting NPCs on to your ship (who will undoubtedly do nothing) you can just buy the upgrade outright, but why did they change the upgrade system from whatever it was before (I really don't remember now, did you have to do all the quests for NPCs to get ship upgrades?) Can any of us say with a straight face this was something that was planned since the beginning in their design document (lol) and not something they came up with in the last ~2 months?

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

Multiple pathways of progression through Colony/Adventure/uh..Farming? has actually been a -thing- they've talked about doing and are only now actually getting to but it was a bullet point feature since way back, yes.

But that's not what it says in the update. Maybe I'm misreading it.

It says that

quote:

Alternatively, if you’d like to avoid the colony system altogether, you can spend a bunch of pixels at the Penguin Bay for a shady fake upgrade license.

So, it's not either Recruit Colonists or Do Quests anymore. It's been changed FROM doing quests TO recruiting colonists. Again, unless I'm misreading and you have the option of doing one or the other to progress.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

LordZoric posted:

They didn't want one race to have an advantage over the other.

Genius, these guys are geniuses, they know exactly what makes games fun.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Check out my new doom wad. I modded it for maximum fun so that all the guns are identically performing reskins of the pistol. And also you walk backwards slow fuckin lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

So I started reading the Stardew Valley thread and man, seeing people on the first page, which is from 2013, mention Tiy and Chucklefish with something other than blatant disdain is hilarious

The original Starbound thread was nothing but mocking 4channers and redditors who hated Chucklefish and Tiy. That was a time when Chucklefish devs still posted here.

• Locked thread