Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/morecaves.2484/

I fixed the line problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can people try my mod and give me feedback?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Z switches your L/R hand, and now there is a keybind menu that you should definitely take a peek at. You can quickly exit out of chests with ESC

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

graynull posted:

I've never seen any official (or unofficial) answer before, but is there a difference between the normal and OpenGL launchers? Not sure which one I should be using so I'm just using the normal one.
One will work with your system better depending on your graphics card. (The other uses DirectX)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceF8IP-_9Fo

Sup ya'll fixed up the mod.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Canuckula posted:

Which mod disables fog of darkness?

/admin
/fullbright
/admin

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fargin Icehole posted:

Okay, what if the penguin running around didn't offer anything?

Then do more quests.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anatharon posted:

Is there any reason to play this considering Terraria is a thing?

Yeah, there are really cool mechs and poo poo to stomp around in.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeliciousCookie posted:

The first boss in the mine place for the FTL is.. actually very easy once you get down his pattern. His second and third attack patterns have some extremely easy ways to avoid taking damage. I highly recommend bringing a shield along however, since until you understand how to avoid them, it can be helpful to block the beams to negate some of the damage.

Yeah sounds like some people forgot the metroid influence.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schwack posted:

Except that Metroid controls are good. Most of the problems present in combat could be solved by removing the slow backwards walk. I'm astounded that anyone played with that for any length of time and declared it a good feature.

I feel like going back saying "It's bad," "But I like it," "BUT IT'S SO BAD." isn't going to really solve anything. It just sounds like you're bad at the game, since many people were able to handle it using the tools given and pattern recognition.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheSpookyDanger posted:

"many people" being able to do it doesn't make the system good i don't know how you haven't realized this

Schwack posted:

I was able to handle it, that doesn't make it not a terrible, clunky mess.

Idk, people are finding it fun, which is subjective.

Have you considered getting gud?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OrangeSoda posted:

Iv'e stopped trying. It's best just to reply about stuff actually involving the game and move on. The slow walk issue is actually relevant though.

I do not like the slow backwards walk either though. I like the game, but there are some dumb design decisions. The slow backwards walk does not work with the mouse aiming at all, meaning aiming in the wrong direction could cause you to suddenly be walking "backwards" and slow down, often causing whatever you're fighting to get some free hits in.

I'm fixing the backwards walk as we speak (I think!) It'll either be done in 5 minutes, or like a few hours. (Or impossible!)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/faster-backstep.2488/

Faster Backstep

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So uhh... I already did the "Torches just need wood thing" someone was talking about if you guys want. All of it's super easy, lol. I was going to make it so you could either use Wood, Plant Fiber, or just Cole, that way you don't have to worry about running out when you're balls deep in a cave.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
coal even.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenasscity posted:

I'm putting all the mod folders in (Starboundgamefolder)/mods and they aren't working. Am I dumb or am I missing something?

Starbound/girraffe_storage/mods

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bilal posted:

Is the reason this only works with new characters because you otherwise need to use the _merge command? I tried to figure that thing out yesterday and I couldn't get it to work.

Has anybody beaten the Floran mission without cheating?

Yes :ssh:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to go ahead and take that annoying coffee quest, and make it actually give the tech card at each junction. (Also change the text to make it less grating and more, "Uhh that's nice... but...")

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what's up with the boss? I'll try to fix what I can.

Also, I'm uploading a patch for backstep that should make it work for new and old characters. Need some testers.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

Is there a good modding tutorial out there? I want to add pets or something else minor and cute.

Not really, you want to look at how they did what they did, copy it and modify it slightly. There is a modders wiki but I've had a helluva time finding it.

If you're modding values in the config, you should make a config.patch file

http://helmet.kafuka.org/sbmods/json/

This is easy enough, click on the patch button, post the source code in both boxes then make your changes in the first box and click dif, it'll generate the code you need to overwrite those specific values, that way more then 1 person can mod the same file.

e: You want your modded config with the diff code to be .config.patch that way it'll just patch the original config instead of overwriting it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo, don't do that, it'll wreck your computer, a lot more then just starbound resides in your appdata folder.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Gordon posted:

Hey, after the update Starbound runs like absolute garbage. Can anyone drop some tips on improving FPS as there dont seem to be any options in the game to do this?

Run the OpenGL version.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheSpookyDanger posted:

This will make the crystal boss a lot easier if you are having problems. You'll probably still need to learn to parry, especially for the last part.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8es81o4r4xr7h0m/bossrebalance.7z?dl=0

Oh wow, that's cool, did you just include the files you changed or the whole boss folder?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Yeah I just grabbed it all because i'm not really clear on what's been changed w/r/t modding. I edited the crystalboss.monstertype and all of the beamattack.monsterskill files located in \skills

To use the patch function do I just append .patch to all of the files i edited and only include those?

I made a mod page if anyone want to use that to get to the dropbox link for some reason:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/easier-crystal-boss-upbeat-giraffe.2490/

I play with some people that are really bad at video games, so i'll probably make all of the bosses easier as I get to them.

I don't think you can patch lua files, so just straight up replacing is the smart idea.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Notinghamington posted:

I regret getting this game. I have restarted a characters 3 times and I still get stuck on these three quests :
Free as a Bird
Help! I need somebody
Stirred not shaken.

Those are the only quest available for me, I have no idea how to find more, I can't open the Penguin Bay shop thing. I have no idea what to do except not play this anymore. Is there a fix to this or something?

How are you having trouble crafting a spoon?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fargin Icehole posted:

Can't you get the crystals from the Quick-E mart? i swear that last item was exactly what i needed.

No that was fuel.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dog kisser posted:

Hi, that's me!

Also nope done forever - If there was a program to convert _merge to whatever the wacky new system is I'd convert it, but I've moved on. If I were to do new mods it's far more likely I'd just make a new race straight up or alternately just never play this again

There is

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deakul posted:

So, this game would be pretty fun... if it had a loving deployable spawn point system implemented.
Something simple like a beacon that you can set or just placing down a bed.

Otherwise, holy gently caress is exploring planets a massive chore right now.

/admin
/setspawn
/admin

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

There must be a way to trigger the same functions as those commands with a mod, right?
If that's the case it would be trivial to add a beacon item that changes your warpdown spot.

I'm trying to do it with lua scripting for 2 or 3 days now, but it's tough :(

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

First Bass posted:

also add this to the goon mods section (I don't know who made it though), it reworks the lovely cavegen so you don't have to move an assload of dirt just to get to the next interesting thing

i did.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People are asking me to = nerf = the cave mod.

Lol.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone link that scanner mod?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys I tweaked the cave gen a bunch more and so I'm looking for feedback again.

Let me know if this fixes the issue with big gaping chasms appearing in your worlds. (I may bring back the gaping chasm thing for tentacle worlds.)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok reading up on how to edit ship files, and then working on making ships fully customizable.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nevermind, someone already did it.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/buildable-custom-shipworld-file-mod-upbeat-giraffe.2494/

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZypherIM posted:

So I made a new guy to play with the caves mod. I haven't run into gaps on the surface that I couldn't jump over, and was able to explore my way down to core fragments with minimal digging. I did fall to my death once when I wasn't paying attention and got a huge cavern (this is a plus IMO). Also had one of those mining complex/tunnel things spawn, and it was huge, which was pretty cool. Also as a plus, more caves/tunnels means more vines, so it is a lot easier to get bandage material before jungle worlds.

I'm thinking caves and glowing ores are nearly mandatory, they remove so much of the tedium of mining/spelunking.

I'm so happy people enjoy the cave mod.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bbcisdabomb posted:

If I install a mos, do I have to create a whole new universe to use it? I'd like to use that My Starbound Crew mod but o don't want to have to hunt all around to just see of it's working.

Only with certain mods, I believe the crew mod adds an NPC to the outpost, so you should be good.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can re-upload it for you.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's the verb for taking away modship if not fired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did you get to cash out your 401k at least?

• Locked thread