Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Babe Magnet posted:

that are mostly not implemented yet
There is a roadmap detailing what the developers feel like the game needs to have in order for it to be "feature complete" but the accuracy of it is debatable.

Less "debatable", more "openly thrown out":
http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/2u32ut/the_starbound_roadmap_a_visual_guide_to/co513lv?context=3

OmnipotentEntity posted:

It's been scrapped and won't be updated unless further notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

If you want some more build screenshots, they just had a contest on twitter:
https://twitter.com/MSipher/status/560449888618442753
https://twitter.com/Bolderiiz/status/560451247741104128
https://twitter.com/Nebilim2/status/560449486246641664
https://twitter.com/Thorndancer/status/560441354283933696
https://twitter.com/TheDeccoy/status/560443740779995136
https://twitter.com/marmthokson/status/560445688752791553

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Fermented Tinal posted:

Oil is found in tar biomes on Desert planets, and necessary for making steel, don't forget to collect some sand while you're there and make a glass mug, you'll need it.

Specifically, before you hand in the bug quest, make sure you also have on hand a glass mug and a steel stirring spoon. You'll need second-tier anvil to make the spoon, but it's only one piece of steel. Also create a "cool jacket" with some fabric with a yarnspinner, because that quest is shortly after. For the lost jokes manuscript quest, they're in the bathroom trashcan on the upper floor.

There's a hidden quest on the underside of the hub, you'll need techs or maybe ropes to get under there.

Haven't tested this for myself, but shortcut to the end of the Mining mission:

quote:

Make sure you have the dash tech equipped. After you drop down the shaft that opens after triggering the monsters, go left. There should be a big pile of gravel. Crouch and dash, repeatedly. You should force yourself through and to the other side. Now you're at the last miner holdout before the infected miner!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Oh, another tip: "R" is a hotkey for matter manipulator, and the other slots under the hotbar have hotkeys too that you can check by looking at their tooltip.
"X" quick-equips your weapons.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

You can quickly exit out of chests with ESC

You can't change this horrible thing with the in-game keybinding, but if you go into steam -> right-click Starbound in your library -> Properties -> Local Files Tab -> Browse Local Files, you should see a folder called /giraffe_storage/. Open starbound.config.

Then find this entry:
code:
      "GuiClose" : [ {
              "mods" : [  ],
              "type" : "key",
              "value" : "Esc"
          } ],
And replace "Esc" with a suitable entry. I suggest switching values with the "drop item" command. This one:
code:
      "PlayerDropItem" : [ {
              "mods" : [  ],
              "type" : "key",
              "value" : "Q"
          } ],
Just switch it so "GuiClose" has a value of "Q" and "PlayerDropItem" has a value of "Esc". Then you can close windows with Q, and drop items with Esc on the very rare occasion you may need to do that. Let me know if you try it and it works.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Count Canuckula posted:

Well I'll be hosed.

It's pretty great.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

First Bass posted:

I haven't played this game since like the fourth alpha build, do goons hate it now or something and if so is there at least a sad/funny story behind it?

It sorta stopped updating for a good 9 months. What this meant was there was nothing new to talk about, so since there wasn't any real discussion about the game anymore, the thread was largely left to people who could find other ways to entertain themselves.

Opinions are extremely mixed. If you haven't played in a while and own a copy, though, you may as well try it out, especially if someone starts a server.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

edit: oh nmd

Vib Rib posted:

Hey quick question because I'm dumb about the SA forums, I made a big link-filled post at the end of the last thread and I was gonna repost it here, is there any way to see the unformatted post (with [url] and stuff intact) so I can repost it, because using edit/quote doesn't work on posts in a closed thread.

You can't, but I can

Mounts
Craft furniture and racial blocks/furniture
More decorative blocks (mostly from ores)
Ore-yielding farmable plants
Crew mod for populating ship and neat features
More bodyparts for random monster pools
Bandit masks and neckerchiefs for your fashion needs
Bees, in case you're loving stupid and liked Forestry for Minecraft
Healing potions as upgrades to bandages
Inter-chest auto-sorter for quick easy storage and ender-chest-like capabilities
New pets and monsters
Random systems that support all biomes/planet types

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah sounds like some people forgot the metroid influence.

It genuinely sucks that when you die you have to start the entire mission over again, though. I think they don't have the systems built into the game to allow for checkpoints, yet. The teleportation mechanics they're building are pretty in depth and should easily allow for things, say, teleporters strewn throughout the mission that you can activate and then teleport to, like checkpoints.

JerikTelorian posted:

I saw some of the "mini-dungeons" last night while mining. They're cool, but I wish they were better themed or had say, ores in them. Also, despite the variety they say is in the game, of the 5 I bumped into, two were apex stations with boxes, and three were arcade cabinet rooms.

Three secret apex twin-arcade cabinet modules underground just seems strange. The thing I'll say toward Terraria is the ramshackle mining huts actually looked like they sort of belonged down there. Powered arcade rooms with no entrances less so. This isn't really a "my immersion" thing but more practical: if these are supposed to make mining less boring, then make them filled with ores so I'm actually excited when I see the thing instead of passing over some decorative items I already have seen a bunch.

Apparently planets will tend to spawn mostly microdungeons of the same race type. Which is cool in concept - I like the idea of a planet having a theme, as if a certain race has colonized it, rather than every planet just having every race on it.

But I guess in practice it sounds like there still isn't enough variety for this. I guess there are a massive amount of microdungeons overall, but when you break it down to "only the apex dungeons, and only of X tier", now you have a relatively small amount to choose from.

It'd be cool if they spent a few more weeks just churning out hundreds of microdungeons at some point, since apparently they can crank them out at a really fast pace.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

I feel like going back saying "It's bad," "But I like it," "BUT IT'S SO BAD." isn't going to really solve anything. It just sounds like you're bad at the game, since many people were able to handle it using the tools given and pattern recognition.

Even if the backwards-slowdown is a good thing for combat, that still doesn't excuse why that system should be active all the god drat time. I understand why it makes sense that I can't shoot while backpedaling at full speed (melee enemies wouldn't be able to catch up and it'd trivialize combat), but when I'm just walking around on the surface or in a cave or in my ship it's ridiculous that I have to move my mouse in the direction that I want to walk or else get a horrible penalty that serves no purpose.

They need some way to detect if you're "in combat" (a simple status effect that is applied when you attack) that activates the slow backpedaling, and otherwise you move at full speed in both directions.

And also there could be a key (hold shift or something) to walk slowly at any time, as well. Sometimes it's useful for careful maneuvering or building.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tenbux McGee posted:

Hope I'm not the only one getting his rear end stomped flat by the mining facility boss. Just hit death #10, and haven't managed to fire the mining laser a second time yet. I was really liking the mission until I got to the boss.
There is a possibility that I'm retarded, since I got stuck on the Gaping Dragon in Dark Souls for ~14 deaths.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I picked a thorn fruit and learned to craft a thorny needler which appears to be like the needler from halo.

Anyone else find some cool items that way?

I got a two handed cactus weapon that hurls cactus barbs when swung, and I think I got it from busting up a cactus on a desert world. All I know for sure is that I didn't have it when I landed and I cant remember opening any chests.

In response to both of these questions, make crafted tar balls! Desert planets have tar biomes which will let you craft a subweapon that is a projectile which slows enemies. This is extremely useful in the mining mission, you can slow the poo poo out of the enemies there and just slaughter them at your leisure. Probably doesn't work on the boss, but it helps you get there. If you're lucky, there's a legendary weapon you can find that throws those tarballs just by swinging it, too, that'll really give you an edge.

You can't underestimate the craftable Castlevania-type consumable throwing subweapons in this game, they're super good. Those Throwing Axes are loving hardcore. They only cost one iron bar, do a significant amount of damage, and you can spam the poo poo out of them. You have to find one to learn the crafting recipe, but they're common enough.

That'd actually be a cool multiplayer mechanic, sharing rare items with other players so that they can learn how to craft them. (I mean, it's in the game already, but more of it)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Section Z posted:

I have an unhealthy obsession with being able to place torches as desired instead of worrying I'm going to use up all the coal within reasonable access. Aside from one block of 15 inside cobblestone (now gone with deleted charcter) the biggest amount of coal at a time I have seen so far has been... seven? Though I've scraped up enough 3-8 bits of Coal deep down inside coblestone (can't have anything at least 5 tiles of the surface, after all) to reach 80 or so after making a few campifires.

Basically, burning wood for coal was a nice convenience, especially since planting trees and torching them was a faster and bigger yields of gaining coal, than diamond drilling an orbit around an ENTIRE (small) planet's tar biome in old stable. Though from the sound of things, you don't need piles of coal to turn iron into steel, now you need to look for other nonrenewable resources instead.

TL:DR: While you don't need coal for as many things anymore (Can't fuel your ship with it, don't need it to make Steel, etc), that means there is even less of a reason for them to have taken away your ability to make coal on demand and instead have to go searching for it. Especially if they phase out coal in favor of fuel crystals at higher tiers still.

I've found coal to be extremely plentiful. It's now the only ore that spawns on the surface, for one, so if you go stripmining you'll end up with coal.

Woodburning was was more convenient but... it wasn't really more fun. It was just kinda tediously chopping down a hundred trees. Even as boring as the caves are, I'd still say skimming through some surface caves for coal, occasionally finding chests or vines or microdungeons, is more fun than grinding trees. But it was really fast so I can see why you'd want that option, I guess. It'd take literally 5 minutes or less to create a mod so I'm sure there'll be one if there isn't already.

In the mean time, coal blocks are mined very fast, especially with the upgraded matter manipulator. Whenever you walk by those 3+ bits of coal just grab them and you'll never be short on torches.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

You are a good person.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tenbux McGee posted:

I beat the mining facility boss by having cheat engine slow the game by 50%. Fixing any one of the following issues would make that boss not be infuriating:
The lasers hit for too much damage
The lasers are a little too fast
Falling from the top three platforms is fatal
Killing the spawning enemies at the bottom uses most/all of your energy (making you unable to dash or pulse jump to save yourself)
Stage 3 lasers are unavoidable unless you're at the bottom (hope you killed all the enemies!) or the top (hope the weird platforming controls don't screw up!)

That said, its not a bad game or anything. They just made one hell of an unforgiving tutorial boss.

Doesn't one of the basic techs negate fall damage? You should have all three techs by the time you do that mission.

Or do they only give you 2 tech cards?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Bear in the Woods posted:

The one I saw was more barren than the ones I've seen pre-patch, but that could have been from being in a lower level system.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Anyone know where I go to find uranium? Is it on moons like Plutonium is or do I have to find a Radioactive planet?

Pretty sure both asteroids & moons are completely barren and exist just for building, right now. The asteroid fields aren't gonna stay like that, but they decided to include them as-is rather than not include them at all.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ScorpioMajesty posted:

You get a tech that lets you survive there with no air

Oddly enough, there is an actual visual spacesuit in the game, but it's just a cosmetic vanity set with no actual function. You can collect the pieces of it scattered in secret areas in the mining mission, some of which I believe you have to come back for when you have higher-tier techs.

It'd be cool if equipping that suit in your vanity slots had the same effect as having that tech, and let you survive on moons just by wearing an actual spacesuit. (I say equip in your vanity slots because you surely want to keep the stat bonuses of your armor) So then if you really hated the appearance of the space suit - because that kind of thing is important to you - you'd still have the option to just use the tech, instead. Otherwise, people would freak out because they're being forced to wear a specific outfit during any part of the game.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

TheSpookyDanger posted:

It's a helmet, shirt, pants, and back item, right? I got all of those on my first run through, and I only had double jump and dash.

Guess that's just a codex entry then. I know there's supposed to be a room you need morph ball to get into.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

This crew mod just updated to stable. It has a ton of poo poo in it, including some nice quality of life stuff, like a teleporter directly to the quest hub, and flashlight upgrades.

I guess it's sorta like the NPCs in Terrraria, though I haven't tried it yet. There's a Doctor, a Researcher, a Hunter, a Chef, a Mercenary, a Merchant, an Architect, a Scientist, and a First Mate which I guess is like a much more useful guide. She helps you find your other crew members and also gives you a bunch of upgrades, like robots for your back item slot.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

xboxpants are you going to keep that terrible ouya av forever

I consider paying to have a brand of forum shame removed to be one of the most sickening acts humanly possible, second only perhaps to making minor grammatical or semantic errors that undermine your argument.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tin Tim posted:

Still loving around in the early tutorial, and I just burned 10 copper picks to get to the lowest layer of my starter planet where the fragments are.

Like, it's nice that they made the MM better and that it can get upgrades, but I'm not sure how I stand on picks being like consumables that you chew through. It's just fairly tedious to make your first dig with the MM and hunt for enough copper so that you can churn out a bag of picks and then dig again for proper amounts of ore :shrug:

One suggestion that I think is a good idea, that could help at least a little with this general problem, is to make Core Fragments have some crafting purpose other than just the quest turn in. Like, you spend all this effort tediously grinding away to the core of the planet, and you end up with a massive mineshaft dug to the center of the planet, which should be a cool accomplishment. Instead, it doesn't have any real value, and it's just tossed aside as you immediately travel to the next planet where you can more easily dig up better ore. Sort of like the "building is pointless" issue - just as there is no point in building an elaborate base, there's also no point in building an elaborate mine, since you're better off just moving to a higher-tier world.

If, instead, building a tunnel to the Core of your starter planet meant you had gained access to an otherwise closed-off resource that was really useful, it wouldn't feel so much like you'd just wasted your time on something pointless. (whether it improves weapons, or you build mechs/vehicles with it, or even just something cosmetic like glowing furniture & tiles)

The way down would still be boring, but at least you'd feel good about it once you got there instead of thinking "this is bullshit". And the "digging down to the core is boring" issue can be addressed separately with speed upgrades & more & better underground content - biomes, dungeons, better monsters & NPCs.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 1, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Come to think of it, there's a lot that's done, but (temporarily?) out of the game. Copper, silver, gold, etc. generic armors, monster noises beyond beeping and booping (I'm pretty sure they used to be able to growl and whinny), stuff like that. I'm sure most of it will find its way back into the game in one way or another.
Then of course there's planned content like Hylotl settlements, teleport systems, multiple bookmarks, more deco block crafting, etc.

Holy poo poo I can't believe I forgot about the crazy real-world animal noises. The best parts was the sounds never fit at all. Space-rabbits would whinny like a horse, and laser bird monstrosities would bark like a dog or moo like a cow seemingly at total random. I would have been 1000% happy with that.

Did the mechs & speeder bikes & cars get temporarily taken out, too? One of the devs wants to put in a system where you craft individual pieces of the machines. Which would be cool but on the other hand, feature creep, so I kinda hope they put that off for now. I'm not sure the half-finished enemy capturing system is still in the game, either, or if it's been taken out until it's more baked.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rocketlex posted:

Pickaxes still exist. They mine faster than the MM (at least until it's upgraded) but can't be repaired and have low durability. They're kinda like weird power-ups, now. If you just want to flip out and mine a bunch of stuff really fast you bust out a pickaxe.

They're also pretty common loot in chests, so you probably won't need to spend any metal making your own.

Instead of pickaxes they should be laser-goggles. Either consumable like they are now, or hell you could even have it be an item that uses ore as fuel and digs faster & bigger if you fuel it with better ore.

Or poo poo, I guess if you're going to do that then don't even make a separate item. Just let players put ore into the MM as "fuel", that gives you a temp buff. A million times more streamlined, and also more sci-fi to boot.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dely Apple posted:

I took this out of the cold storage after like a year (this is a common theme isn't it) and my starter planet was a mushroom land with pixie wings and magic mushroom armor. I look like the most ridiculous fairy in all the meanings.

Also I have a crossbow for some reason!

Wow, weird. I thought all the starter worlds were earthlike. Neat.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Also, sand has no physics now. I guess that's how they "fixed" sand mining.

:wtc: And is it still barren of ore, too? 'Cause that was at least a semi-reasonable "stopgap until we decide what to do" solution. Is sand basically just a recolored dirt now?

I'm still going to hold out a foolish hope that sandphysics are just being reworked and will come back, but I know it's stupid to think that.

Musluk posted:

Why isn't there a direct teleport to outpost once you unlock it?

Why is it lagging so bad?

They did new performance "upgrades" that seem to be extremely split between "yeah much better" and "wtf happened". Are you using the 64-bit OpenGL version?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Slime posted:

I could also ask why there isn't a beam directly to your home planet button, rather than having to go to your ship THEN your home planet. Going from the outpost to your home planet goes outpost -> gate - > ship - > planet. It's stupid as gently caress and just slows everything the gently caress down. I also hate how long it takes for you to fly somewhere. Is that masking some sort of loading? If not, why is there a mechanic that literally just encourages me to alt tab and browse the internet instead of playing the game?

I don't know if you can say that it's "masking" the loading when it's straight-up showing you the code as it's being executed.

But yeah the amount of steps you have to take to move from one planet to another is bonkers. The bookmarking & teleportation system is sorely needed.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 1, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I just realized something really simple: the microdungeon system could be used to add big ore veins. Really easily. Just make a microdungeon that's nothing but dirt/stone blocks with a generous vein of ore in it. Then set those microdungeons to spawn generously.

Right now ore spawns in decent amounts, but it's too random. It's extremely spotty, with a whole bunch of little groups of 2 or 3, instead of big veins. This would go a long way towards solving that problem.

There's another problem where Tier 1 planets are completely obsolete when you get to Tier 2 or Tier 3. This could also help address that issue - spawn in small amounts of Tier+1 or Tier+2 ore veins on planets, so that you can go back to an earlier Tier and plow through the caves looking for those pockets of ore if you want. Instead of slowly making your way through a higher-tier planet, you can blast through a Tier-1 world and still find some Titanium pockets or whatever. It wouldn't solve that "old planets are obsolete" problem on its own, but it'd help.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Also this is a good idea.

The oregen is just too spotty & random right now. Chucklefish know this and are gonna work on it, but still.

Like, if you take a 30x30 grid of dirt, and let's say it has 15 copper ore in it, that's a pretty reasonable amount of ore being spawned in. But if it's usually all spawned in tedious 2-3 piece chunks, rather than one satisfying chunk of 10-15 pieces. The player ends up with the same amount of ore. Balance isn't affected, the only thing that's affected is that it's less fun.

Also, instead of mining them out four at a time, you have to mine them our 1 or 2 at a time and do things in a massively inefficient way. So, again, even though you're mining the same amount of ore pieces, it actually takes you a much longer amount of time. And all of this is taking for granted that the player will even find all the pieces which, if they're scattered around haphazardly, isn't something you can take for granted at all. But we all know that ore visibility is a big issue so I didn't bring that up right away.

Long story short, ore could be made more clumpy which wouldn't break the balance, just make mining more fun.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

AndroidHub posted:

Is there a less lovely portable hands-free light alternative to the lantern on a stick? I made a sun spawner just now with my first haul of rubium and boy was I disappointed, I guess it's more for damaging things.

Well, you can craft glow-stims from toxic waste which you can grow from trees, but you said less lovely so I dunno if that applies here.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Section Z posted:

The only way I'd like the lens idea for the MM, is if the MM didn't get worse than it is or harder to upgrade and the lens stuff was purely super bonus mode to gently caress magmarock a new one.

Which seems to be what people who brought up the idea in the first place were intending. At least, I think.

Yeah I think a purely cosmetics swap from pick axes would be fine.

LAY-ZX posted:

By the way, anybody have any insight into this? Not being able to tag-team missions is really bumming us out.

Does it happen on specific biomes? I think I've heard about similar problems on maybe magma worlds or something. Ocean worlds would be an obvious suspect, too.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Section Z posted:

I, but, why would you reduce storage on fancy lockers to worse than a wooden box :negative:

It seems to be based largely on the physical size of the object. Bigger boxes can actually hold more stuff now. (Usually)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Thoughtless posted:

So in order to get steel, I need an alloy furnace, which needs glass, which needs sand, and the only desert planet in my home system is inaccessible (travel never finishes).

Good job Chucklefish.

Try letting it travel for a while and then using the teleporter to beam down. Sometimes you can use the teleporter before your ship drops out of warp.

Schwack posted:

I just installed a mod to normalize them all to 48 because having to deal with tiny boxes is stupid.

I understand what they were going for - it's kind of lame if everyone just fills up every structure & ship with those 2x2 lockers, and that is what happened before. But instead of nerfing the one good storage object and making them all suck, they should have left the good one-as is and used it as a model to make all the rest of the storage items be good, and buff all the rest of them.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Section Z posted:

Who was it that said the hunting knife makes things drop leather? It, and every bow kill I ever do are just meat, no leather. Unless the RNG particularly dislikes me (as usual), I'd expect "I stopped to count" 50 kills with the hunting knife to have dropped leather by now. Unless only certain enemy types drop leather, or the possibility of leather drops does not occur until some info blurb tells you "Hey, you need leather for something!" Which I have not seen yet.

I have unlocked the ability to craft molotovs, which is nice (If they do damage worth a drat vs Mine enemies). Well, nice once I run across some plant fiber dropping trees I can plant.

A number of plants also give fiber. Wheat drops it 100%, but you have to replant it, so you may want to just use Corn instead even though it only drops it at a 50% rate.

It's not as useful as the tree's but it'll tide you over.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 3, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I wouldn't mind this mining base boss thingy so much if, after getting killed by it, I didn't have to go back through the whole loving stage again. Feh.

There's a shortcut, I think it's to the left of where you start, you have to sort of wiggle through a hard-to-pass-through area.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

KoB posted:

They nerfed lockers to 9 spaces. What is the new efficient item box?

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/2ul0lh/stable_759mb_update/co9bj9k

Crates are very slightly more efficient - 16:6 instead of 9:4. Chests are technically more efficient than either, but you can't stack them.

If you just want to spawn something in there are a couple items called "Tall Locker" and "Wide Locker" that are apparently the best, they store 9 spaces at half the size of a Lab Locker, but I don't think you can craft them.

Really there's no longer a "super best storage" item. That was kinda the entire point.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

One of the big problems in my mind is how they've restructured the biome planets. I know it's temporary, because they've got a dozen or so biomes we've already seen that are now out of the game on standby, but it sucks having every single biome planet be basically identical. Every forest planet has the same type of trees, every desert planet has the same sub-biomes, and on and on. It used to be a little more random than this and I assume a change is coming but why they'd ever change it from "any planet can have any sub-biome" is beyond me.
Also stop hard-locking certain types of trees (and leaves) to planets. They've got random plants and planets, just put them to use, drat.

One suggestion I saw that I think is a really fuckin' great idea is to make difficulty more variable on individual planets - make it so that the area you beam down is always safe, but as you explore further and further away, you risk the possibility of coming across more dangerous, basically higher-tiered biomes.

So basically, make individual planets like Terraria worlds.

It'd make perfect sense in-game, too, just say that you ship's computer automatically scans the worlds to find the safest area to touch down on.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I mean, yeah, I'm all for that, too. I'm just saying right now the way a lot of biome features work is that they're less random than before. Why not have eyeball/vine/flower trees potentially show up on ANY planet, instead of just the ones they're tied to? Why not take the existing overworld topography and scramble it, so you can have arid planets with rolling hills or grassland planets with huge ravines? Why not have tar biomes and mushroom biomes show up on any planet? Why not take all the crazy, wild tree types and play a more unfettered mix-and-match with their leaf/trunk combos?

The bottom line is that right now so many things are linked when they should be independent. Arid planets always have the same flat-ravine-flat topography, always pull from the same pool of colors, always populate with the same type of tree, only ever feature the same sub-biome. There's no reason all these random factors that are assigned per-planet should be the same every time. Mix them up!

Oh yeah, definite agreement there, I just wanted to go off on a tangent. As stupid as this is, the wildly varied planets are actually pretty boring and predictable.

Vib Rib posted:

E: Also, hey, looks like the next addition is going to be teleporter networks that are capable of working across planets. So you can build a big teleporter "hub" base on your home planet and then branch it off to villages, dungeons, fun biomes, whatever, and save yourself the trips.
http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/2umvl1/the_next_major_feature_is_placeable_teleporters/

This is great to hear, and if it takes no more than a month that'd be fantastic. I hope this will allow them (or modders) to build checkpoints into missions.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

Wasn't there drama over there when CF did it?

Probably, but they haven't stopped. The customizable signs were a mod. I'm pretty sure they get in contact with mod authors before they integrate stuff.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

grimcreaper posted:

I'll grab em when I get home from work.

Sadly I loaded up terraria and realized even with my pissed off attitude towards starbound... Starbound was still the better game.

My biggest annoyance was the apex locker change. I tore down 4 of those wierd bases that are made of pressurized steel to use for my base. Do you know how long that takes? For loving ever. And I lost half of that work because cf has some retard who can't even post a "hey guys were changing these storage containers soon. Just a heads up!"

What does their PR person even do? Whatever it is, it sure isn't "ever talk to the community about the game".

I guess maybe she helped get the sale put together, which was a really cool move because just two months ago she personally told someone who was asking whether to buy now versus holding out for a sale, that they definitely weren't going to put it on sale during Early Access.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

FrancoFish posted:

Did anyone else experience unavoidable, rapid damage on phase 3 of the Crystal fight thing on the moon base? I can blast it no problem the first two times, but in phase three, no matter where the lasers are, I'm taking a third of my health as damage every second or so. I'm on like attempt 16. I just want to explore and build poo poo, why does there need to be a buggy rear end platforming boss before I can do that?

It seems to be a common thing, yeah. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/the-boss-shot-invisible-laser.90808/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Alaan posted:

I can't imagine something like that will ever be implemented by default because you effectively have anywhere from 9x-64x your inventory space thanks to it.

But giving your character a tremendous amount of inventory space isn't always bad. It's just that doing so carelessly is. The reason games limit your inventory (besides technical reasons) is just so that your inventory isn't a giant loving unnavigable mess. If your inventory was just an unsorted 100x100 grid of items it'd be massively unmanageable. You wouldn't be able to find anything, unless you put in an unreasonable effort keeping it all neatly arranged.

But the flipside of that is, it would be fine to have a 10,000 slot inventory if there was some sort of sorting as part of the interface. Which the chests would provide. So that would be fine.

God knows if Chucklefish realizes any of this though.

• Locked thread