Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A few people have posted about it already, but are there any other Philadelphia goons in here? My fiancee and I just moved to Old City from out-of-state and I'm looking for recommendations in that neighborhood or within walking distance of it (so like City Center, NoLibs or Society Hill/Queen Village). Half the places we walk by invoke a "holy poo poo we have to come back here" so we're having trouble prioritizing :shobon:

Wheats posted:

I'm hoping for some suggestions for Detroit and Ann Arbor (besides Zingerman's), especially hole-in-the-wall spots.

For Ann Arbor I'll +1 the guy that said Blimpie Burger. There used to be an amazing sushi place called Sushi.com (.come?) just off of State Street by Central Campus but they apparently changed their name and I'm not sure if it's still the same crew running it, I grew up in Ann Arbor but now only get back a few times a year and I haven't been there in a year or two. Off the top of my head there's also Frita Baditos, an amazing Cuban restaurant on Washington between Main and Ashley streets. If you don't mind college students South University St. has some pretty respectable food, and at Hill and State streets you have Big Ten Burrito (an Ann Arbor classic) and Pizza Bob's, which has fantastic milkshakes.

If you like beer it's a pretty good town too, I always go out and drink with my parents when I'm home. Our favorite haunts are Bill's Beer Garden (Liberty & Ashley), Arbor Brewing Company (on Washington just east of Main St.) and Wolverine State Brewing Company (on Stadium Drive, a little remote from the rest of these but drat good for a little local operation)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

rockcity posted:

How do you not recommend Ashley's for beer? Definitely the best beer bar in the area. If you like Jolly Pumpkin beers, Jolly Pumpkin is also amazing and their food is ridiculous.

Also Big Ten burrito opened in 2004 so I'm not sure I'd call it a classic. It's also a real bummer that burritos are no longer $5 tax included like when I went to school there.

Oh crap you're right about Ashley's, sorry. Also I mostly know BTB because people I knew in high school wouldn't shut up about that place (but it's still good)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jota posted:

You have two of the best places in the city near you in Old City in Fork and Zahav. Zahav is a Michael Solomonov place and is really good Israeli/Middle Eastern food. Try and reserve the whole lamb shoulder if you can. He also has a new place in Center City called Abe Fisher which is supposed to be food from the Jewish diaspora. In my opinion Vernick is probably the best restaurant in the city and is in Center City around 20th and Walnut. Definitely get there if you can. You're not to far from Chinatown and the Reading Terminal Market either for more casual stuff.

I didn't want to make like a wall of text so this was kind of basic but if you want to know anything more let me know and I'd be glad to try and help you out.

Thanks! We're planning on being here for a while so if you've got the wisdom then lay it on me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

M42 posted:

Gonna be in philly this saturday. What's good eatins for lunch or early dinner around there? $ to $$.

This is a bit of a copout, but if you're not picky then hit up Reading Terminal Market on Filbert between 11th and 12th. Huge, crazy food court-style place that offers amazing food in just about any cuisine you can think of. Late lunch/early dinner would also mean a smaller crowd, as it can get pretty packed in there.

If you go to High Street write a trip report, my wife and I live a few blocks from there but have been too broke to eat out that often until recently, and need suggestions on where to go. If you have time for brunch on Sunday then Farmicia is right over there (on 3rd just south of Market) and has an amazing brunch menu, no idea what lunch/dinner is like over there though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mariooncrack posted:

I'm going to be in Philly next week. I'll be staying near Chinatown. Any suggestions of places to go? I'm looking for a restaurant in Chinatown but is there anything else nearby that's worth going to?

I've lived here about a year and Philly has crazy good food. Obvious answer is to hit up Reading Terminal Market since you're near Chinatown, especially if you can get there in the middle of a weekday. If you want to get food in Chinatown specifically there are a ton of good options depending on what you're in the mood for-
Terakawa (ramen)
Bubblefish (sushi)
Banana Leaf (Malaysian/SE Asian)
Ting Wong (Chinese-style noodles)
Dim Sum Garden (duh)
Pho Cali (also duh, but I ate there today and their banh mi is no slouch either)

Also if you're into bubble tea then Tea Do is the place to hit up. My wife and I do lunch in Chinatown every Saturday and still have several more places we need to get to, so let me know if you go anywhere good that isn't on this list.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Kanine posted:

anything particularly good in Baltimore?

My sister lives in Fells Point which has some good stuff. If you go on Thames St right by the water there's a few places, and Johnny Rad's which is a little further from the harbor. Snake Hill off of Eastern Ave just east of that big park is also really good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Wife and I are on the big island of Hawaii for a few days, where should we go for food?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

dead lettuce posted:

In Kona, 808 Grindz Cafe has the best loco mocos and was my favorite meal on the island, definitely the best food we had in otherwise touristy Kona.

On the other side of the island - Cafe 100 in Hilo is a classic for cheap fast food-style eats. We also ate at Kilauea Lodge in Volcano National Park which was a cool experience!

Thanks, but I missed out on both of these :( Next time!

For people that go, we ate at the following and they were all pretty dope-

Tex's Drive-in (northern coast of the island)
Poke to Your Taste (Hilo, it looks sketchy but trust me)
Hawaiian Style Cafe (Waimea, for breakfast)
Umeke's (Kona)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I had kangaroo for the first time in Strasbourg when my now-wife was studying abroad there in '08. Other than that I don't remember food specifics other than that it was all very good and you should def go if you have a chance.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mojo1701a posted:

Goddamn, the kangaroo meat got me sold. Remember where?

I'm afraid I don't, this was a long time ago. It wasn't some sort of ritzy meal, I'm pretty sure it was their equivalent of like Panda Express or something (we were poor college kids after all). I think it had a purple color scheme? It was good for what it was but don't waste a bunch of time looking for it.

E: Oh yeah there was a conveyor belt sushi place in a mall that we really liked, but it's France so eat French food!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 30, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Robert Plant posted:

Quoting a post from two years ago to say that, seriously Zahav is loving incredible

Quoting your quote of a two-year old post to say that I still haven't been there :negative: Wife got a new higher-paying job and now wants to merge bank accounts so hopefully we'll go over there soon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If you like beer there are a poo poo load of breweries in GR, though I couldn't tell you which one is best. I like Founders beer at least, try that?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

got off on a technicality posted:

Anyone have food/bar recommendations for DC? The more unusual / local the better (I can always Google fancy places). I am returning to The Gibson but literally don't know any more than that

Also asking as I will be there Friday night through Sunday afternoon with no real plans. Bonus points for suggestions on where to go for a beer & good bar food Saturday night.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Thinking of a road trip next weekend to Indianapolis and Louisville. Any recs? We tend to prefer divy-er spots than hipster small plates places. Also doing some bourbon trail stuff so any recs in that area would be appreciated too.

Dunno about those two places but if you drive through Bloomington, Indiana on your way and you like pizza, you absolutely have to go to Mother Bear's Pizza.

There's a bunch of good food in Bloomington but that's the one I remember the most. But if you say Bloomington enough times in an SA thread Bloomingoons will come flooding in :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Doing an overnight visit to Pittsburgh today and tomorrow, what's a good breakfast spot in the Strip and a good lunch spot in South Oakland?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm going to be in Santa Barbara for work later this month for 4-5 days. What's good?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Kind of a specific request, but are there any good vegan bakeries in Boston, MA? Have an overnight work trip and my friend is watching my dog for me, I told her I would bring her back a tasty vegan treat as thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

DogoDogo posted:

One of my favorite bakeries on earth, Flour Bakery, has an amazing vegan chocolate cake. Oakleaf Cakes also always has a number of vegan options.

Well drat, I'll have to buy an extra piece for myself.