Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Czar for Portland try Apizza Scholls, it's still my favorite restaurant anywhere even though I don't live there anymore. Skip Voodoo and go to Blue Star Donuts if you need donuts. For sushi, Bamboo Sushi in NW Portland is great and Salt & Straw (ice cream) is right next door.

I'd also recommend Pok Pok for hip Thai food and chicken wings, or Khun Pic's Bahn Thai for a really interesting experience--it's a husband and wife operation out of this little hard-to-find house, the food is insanely good but they make the food table by table so unless you get there right when it opens you might not get a table, or you might be waiting 2-3 hours once you're seated. Sometimes they change their hours without notice too but I found this all very charming.

If you want a really nice, upscale celebration meal, try Toro Bravo (Spanish) or Andina (Peruvian) depending on what sounds better to you. The Farm Cafe is quintessentially Portland/PNW food, if you want the farm-to-table experience, also in a little house in East Portland. Nicholas Restaurant is great for Mediterranean/Lebanese and is pretty inexpensive with lots of food. If you want to do the food cart thing, Potato Champion at the 12th & Hawthorne food cart pod has good atmosphere all night (and more importantly poutine). Portland has amazing food.

I'm not as knowledgeable about Seattle but we ate at a sushi place called Japonessa near Pike's Place, their happy hour is really great. I'm still super bummed I never made it to Paseo before they closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

If you're still in SD you need to get yourself to a good taco shop, stat. They are everywhere, just find the best one on yelp wherever you are. Try a fish taco and California burrito. Lolita's isn't a bad choice for a Cali or carne asada fries.

Phil's is overrated imo, Bull's or Bubba's is better. Rare Form downtown has a great pastrami sandwich. Goons have said great things about The Lion's Share but I have yet to try it. Dumpling Inn and Rakiraki on Convoy are great too if you want more Asian food.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

I would love to hear if anyone has suggestions for Berlin, Vienna, Salzburg, Fussen/Bavaria, or Munich! We'll eat anything, from food trucks all the way up to fancy restaurants.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Thank you, this is perfect! Weißes Bräuhaus looks wonderful and we were looking for kebab recommendations too.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Wow, thank you Hopper, ExecuDork, and drgitlin! Who knew there were so many Germans ITT, just my luck :)

Berlin - I will definitely try a currywurst. I visited Cologne and Bonn last year and didn't get a chance so it is on my list, and should be easier to find in Berlin. The 2 Michelin-starred restaurants look great. I may make a reservation, but will need to weigh if I have enough bag space to pack a set of nicer clothes for a single meal. And if I really ought to spend $400+ on a single meal...

Munich - I have never tried horse meat and as an American am a bit (irrationally) afraid of it. I may try it just for fun. It turns out we will be having dinner with a relative one night so we might not have as much time as I'd like but we will definitely try Weißes Bräuhaus or Augustiner am Dom.Thanks also for the recommendations on the Biergärtens! We plan to ride bikes around town so I think we will be fortunate enough to stop at both.

I also appreciate the Asian food and vegetarian options, as it's possible I might start to get tired of traditional German food towards the end of the trip. Thankfully we will be visiting our vegetarian friends in Freiburg as our last stop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

C-Euro posted:

Wife and I are on the big island of Hawaii for a few days, where should we go for food?

In Kona, 808 Grindz Cafe has the best loco mocos and was my favorite meal on the island, definitely the best food we had in otherwise touristy Kona.

On the other side of the island - Cafe 100 in Hilo is a classic for cheap fast food-style eats. We also ate at Kilauea Lodge in Volcano National Park which was a cool experience!

Thanks for the Germany recs a page or two ago, we had delicious currywurst from Curry 36 in Berlin and amazing döner kebap from Turkitch in Munich. We met up with my relatives in Munich so we didn't get to check out any of the other places but I saved them in my bookmarks for next time. :)