Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

seeing him lose his poo poo joyfully at having won was a solid payoff for the heartache of seeing gus lose his title shot in front of his whole country after two of his countrymen lost, and on top of it he lost to somebody who looked really damned surprised that happened

i am still not over that, you poor huge violent man. silva probably shouldn't fight much anymore, but it was really good to see him do it well again after that crazy injury

Agreed fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Heres the kick in glorious hi-res: http://gfycat.com/FalseTotalBobcat

I couldn't find the Meinsault :(

Also here's Lineker yukking it up about being fat and useless: http://gfycat.com/TautJollyAntelope

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

colonel_korn posted:

Also here's Lineker yukking it up about being fat and useless: http://gfycat.com/TautJollyAntelope
bless you randomly generating filenames

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

To be fair, Diaz showing damage is usually a poor metric for gauging who won a fight. Diaz pretty much gets cuts around his eyes if he walks into a draft because a box fan is running. It was even worse before he had his eye surgery, as I recall. Silva, on the other hand, is someone who shows little damage even when he gets clobbered throughout a fight.

This is not to say that Diaz won, because he clearly didn't.

The Stockton metric clearly states that the guy with the more hosed up face lost. If the Diazes can't claim the Stockton metric as their own anymore, they are running out of metrics.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JHomer722 posted:

Man, Diaz has fought some of the biggest names of the previous decade: BJ, GSP, and now Silva. Let's go for 2 out of 3.

I was just thinking about this. He's fought the UFC's most dominant champs at 155, 170, and 185. He just has to fight Aldo and Jones and then he can retire.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
That kick looks like it barely landed from that angle. All toe

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

if Mein hadn't lifted his arms to try to block that knee, he might have been able to get a DQ win

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

how did Alves look by the way? I've always enjoyed his fights but the play by play I read referred to Mein as "the larger man" which was funny to me given that Alves was too fat for 170 in his day

mein landed like 40 power shots during round 1, and rogan was screaming about how powerful they all were, and alves' face didn't looked marked up at all. you looked a little hurt, but never in danger, but it really looked like mein should have put him out with how easily he was landing

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

gimpsuitjones posted:

That kick looks like it barely landed from that angle. All toe

It didn't look bad from any angle, or at full speed. Caught him just right I guess.

Toksai
Dec 3, 2005
Mein Fuhrer, I can roll!

https://gfycat.com/PlumpBiodegradableGreathornedowl

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I was just thinking about this. He's fought the UFC's most dominant champs at 155, 170, and 185. He just has to fight Aldo and Jones and then he can retire.

Nick Diaz never fought Frankie Edgar though?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Dangersim posted:

and soon to be Anthony Pettis :ssh:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Sorry but I'm putting this in both threads:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EvanSchenck posted:

Mein had trouble circling out, to the point that he did a bizarre tactical somersault to escape, but Alves backed him up again and destroyed his ribcage with a horrifying body kick as he was trying to circle out. It's a mixed performance for both of them. Mein was much better than him in exchanges in the open, to the point that Alves was clearly outmatched, but Alves eventually won because of superior ringcraft.
As he was getting pressed to the fence, Mein switched briefly to southpaw. He went back to orthodox, and then Alves closed in more. Mein bounced off the fence and went back to southpaw. Both times he was in southpaw, he was trying to keep his rear foot on the side he was circling out (away from the fence) toward. Given his limited space, he was trying to get more of his body further from Thiago. I don't know how much time he trains footwork in southpaw, but I'd guess he didn't have his defense keyed up in the less familiar off-stance.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dangersim posted:

Sorry but I'm putting this in both threads:

Both excellent

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dangersim posted:

Frankie only had three title defenses, making him exactly as successful a LW champ as Penn and Bendo. One of them was a draw and shouldn't really count. Pettis will make his fourth title defense some time in 2020 at his current rate. I mentioned Penn instead of Edgar or Bendo because people actually cared about the LW division when he fought.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

david carmichael posted:

mein landed like 40 power shots during round 1, and rogan was screaming about how powerful they all were, and alves' face didn't looked marked up at all. you looked a little hurt, but never in danger, but it really looked like mein should have put him out with how easily he was landing

I think Mein's success in the first round was overblown. He was definitely winning, but I think there were a lot of big reactions for strikes that Alves blocked or that barely landed. Thiago's forearms took more of a beating than his face did.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

and soon to be Anthony Pettis Khabib Nurmagomedov :ssh:

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

As he was getting pressed to the fence, Mein switched briefly to southpaw. He went back to orthodox, and then Alves closed in more. Mein bounced off the fence and went back to southpaw. Both times he was in southpaw, he was trying to keep his rear foot on the side he was circling out (away from the fence) toward. Given his limited space, he was trying to get more of his body further from Thiago. I don't know how much time he trains footwork in southpaw, but I'd guess he didn't have his defense keyed up in the less familiar off-stance.

It's just generally hard to protect yourself when you're circling out like that. By choosing which side to put more pressure on the other guy can choose which direction you circle out, and the power strike is waiting for you. When Mark Hunt is leading he likes to make guys circle to their right and then he pops them with his left hook as they exit. A hard body kick is pretty standard for that tactic. I don't know that Mein got hit because he changed stances. He might have changed stances because he anticipated a body kick to his left side as he circled out, and he thought he'd survive it better from southpaw. Alves placed it marvelously, though, his foot whipped right through Mein's guard and nailed him in the gut.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EvanSchenck posted:

It's just generally hard to protect yourself when you're circling out like that.

It's true -- you have to get the right balance of moving to the side and moving away out of range. Mein had enough space to move back, but I'm claiming from southpaw, he might not have had the muscle memory to slide back as much as he would have wanted, or to move as fast as he'd want.

What I'm saying is I guess Alves learned the right lessons from Rick Story clock theory.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
This should now be the new standard way to get off the cage. At heavyweight it should be the only legal way.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Grifter posted:

This should now be the new standard way to get off the cage. At heavyweight it should be the only legal way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Grifter posted:

If kicks to the head of a grounded opponent were legal, I'm pretty sure that maneuver would result in a head flying into the stands at least once per event.

• Locked thread