Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey I heard this game is good, are they ever going to bring it out of early access? I see their original goal for that was 1st half 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Cool, I'll check back in January.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Am I the only one who thinks that the length of this game is insane? I doubt I'll ever finish because it's not even the end of year 1 and I feel like I've gotten about all I'm going to get out of the experience.

It lacks the tension driving aspect that made XCOM's lengthy campaign work, because you can actually fail XCOM. In this having a big wipe or whatever just means a lot more grind. It's grinding.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I was satisfied with my $10 purchase but in my book it's basically "XCOM but not as good" in every comparable aspect. Kept me entertained for 16 hours according to Steam, so good enough while we wait on XCOM 2.

e: I have no thoughts on any state of the game other than the "immediately after release" state because I did not play it in early access.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 24, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If I was going to make one (simple) change it would probably be reducing the quirk rate by 50% or more (positive and negative). I would be totally ok with a corresponding increase to sanitarium costs. The sheer amount of personnel micromanagement introduced by quirks is a whole lot of tedious bullshit and I don't really see the payoff in it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I restarted once just because I had no idea what I was doing at first and had unmanaged quirk growth all over the board which I found aggravating. This is mainly because I had no concept of managing curios, which I now realize is absolutely essential to success. It also let me reasonably assemble and manage my roster based on what to expect in each zone, which is something else that takes time to understand.

Game is starting to grow on me I think.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Highwayman shows 110% chance for trap disarm*

*Highwayman interacts with trap*

*Trap triggers and hurts the Highwayman*

:geno:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

packetmantis posted:

The amount of whining about this game is loving unreal, honestly. The roguelikes thread is like 95% people complaining that they're bad at Darkest Dungeon and therefore the game is grindy and sucks.

Whether you think Darkest Dungeon is good, bad, too random, not too random, etc etc... it is definitely grindy as poo poo. It as extremely grindy game, which is entirely separate from the question of whether or not it is good.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Night10194 posted:

"I'm the guy he dismissed last week."

lmao

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I avoided trying out the Grave Robber for a while because I didn't see the hotness on a quick look over and jesus there is already enough to learn. But holy gently caress this one I made is deadly with the right equipment. Siren boss got hosed sideways by good ole Jazzy. Stunned the party member that got charmed, then dodged two takeover attempts directed at her.

I can only imagine what the possibilities are after working it camp bonuses. This is just at level 3! I have big hopes for you, Jazzy!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I retreated from the first Shambler I fought without any trouble although for all I know that was lucky. I relit the torch but then I ran into it again in the hallway because I didn't realize it stayed in that position (I figured since it was "in the void" it was not physically on the map).

So I retreated again and just abandoned the quest.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lmao just killed Collector in two rounds taking only 3 damage (from show collection)

Round 1: Bounty Hunter: death mark ----> Grave Robber: throw dagger -------> Arbalest: snipe --------> Hellion: iron swan

Round 2: Bounty Hunter: flashbang -----> everyone else same move ----> collector dead -----> only attacks from little collections are dodged

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ZypherIM posted:

Shamblers only show up in total darkness, and every step of light down gives you increased loot chances. Unless you're running trinkets requiring 75+ light, consider always trying to run in the 50-75 bracket (you'll get bonus loot ~25% of the time). The enemies will be a bit harder, but it shouldn't be too much, and if poo poo is going south you brought torches so you can up the light.

Are the torch tool tips wrong or is this poster wrong?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ZypherIM posted:

Chomp you've posted enough in the thread to know I'm not going to be wrong haha.

I don't know what this is referring too. I cannot recall even a single interaction we've had. Also I have like eight posts and most of them are inconsequential.

In any case I was asking because the torch tool tips don't start saying "+ loot" until <50. So it's the tool tip that is wrong. That is what I was asking.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Megasabin posted:

I just beat all the Veteran level bosses. Ran some champion level dungeons, which are challenging but good. Great game, but I think this is probably where I call it. Doing the same thing for another 10+ hours just to grind out the rest seems pretty dull.

I disagree with a few select pieces of advice given in this thread over and over. For an alternative approach:

1. In terms of upgrades and general usage of deeds, heavily prioritize the blacksmith over the stage coach. If your heroes are upgraded with weapons and armor, they won't be dying as often. Max out the roster size gradually as you find the need to expand due to team's being down to stress/quirk recovery. The number of guys the stagecoach brings only needs to be upgraded once or twice. I'm 30 hours in and that track is still 2 away from max.

2. Don't grind for money, don't do dark runs. Don't do that nonsense about hiring 4 people off the stagecoach, throwing them into a dark run, and then firing them. It's a waste of time. The game is grindy enough without this silliness. You shouldn't ever need to grind for money in this game. Unless you are suffering catastrophic wipes, each mission you do should net you more than enough money to keep upgrading skills/weapons/armor at a good rate. Don't bother removing any negative perk other than kleptomaniac, and don't bother locking positive quirks. I've never had money issues in this game, and I've never even sold a trinket.

3. Leper is a great hero who is only bad in certain specific situations. He can hit the first 2 dudes for tons of damage, he has a great -damage - accuracy debuff also for the first 2 dudes, and he can heal himself for stress or health. Just don't bring him to any boss fight where the boss hides behind an object (Hag, Prophet, Necromancer, Drowned Crew, Formless Flesh cause of prot%). People in this thread do that, and then cry about the hero being bad. His accuracy is not great at first, but can easily be fixed with trinkets and camp buffs.

I agree with every part of this.

Especially the first part.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The thing that confuses me about people endorsing dark runs is that on any medium or long mission you are so bursting to the gills with loot even on high light levels that I don't see the point. I never, ever walk out of a non-short mission without a completely full inventory of gold, gems, and hamlet stuff and I very rarely go dark. And yes that includes dumping all consumables by the end of the mission.

Maybe on a short run I can see the benefit but even on those I exit the dungeon with full loot more often than not. Dark runs just seem like a great way to take extra stress for no reason because you'll be loaded by the time you exit no matter what.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Chomp's Guide to Pro Sanitarium Use

1) Lock in the "Eldritch Slayer" trait on anyone who gets it in preparation for the Darkest Dungeon

2) Purge any traits that increase stress in preparation for the Darkest Dungeon

3) Never go to the Darkest Dungeon because the game is just way too loving long.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lmao this game. I fell for the "attack the cultist" trap on my first foray against the shuffling horror. Been a lot of fun but I think this is where I call the campaign. Just thinking about the sheer amount of grind needed to drive this thing home is crazy. I am literally bed/couch bend this week recuperating from an injury and I think I have better things to do.

Great game over all, a steal for the $10 I got it for. But with 40 hours into the campaign and no end in sight it's simply overstayed it's welcome. I can't believe this game is intended to be completed. I'd be more inclined to conquer the Mount and Blade map.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So in terms of value, is this a game that you finish relatively quick or is this one of those 100+ hour huge teeth sinky games?

It is extremely the latter.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chomp8645 posted:

It is extremely the latter.

Quoting myself to clarify. It's long yes, but you don't really have to finish it. Finishing the entire game is extremely grindy and somewhat pointless. Conquering all of Mount and Blade is a good comparison because in both cases it's unreasonable to expect someone to "finish" the game but on the other hand there is no real need to. The experience comes from the play. No (sane) person feels unfulfilled if they don't paint the whole Mount and Blade map their color, they just play until it gets old and then call it a campaign. Maybe they'll do another later for kicks, maybe not. It's the same with this game. It will take an unreasonable eternity to finish, but there is really no need to finish other than to say you did so.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Honestly I find the big rear end ghoul thing to be more dangerous than the tree giant guy. Must be something about my play style.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The only way that long dungeons are good for anything at all is giving more xp for the same amount of weeks past. So I guess useful for NG+ since you have a time limit. Pointless otherwise.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah it's definitely additive like Gabriel Pope says. 200 is not immunity if you can get your attack over 200% :getin:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm in week 15

I hate to break it to you but advice from anyone at week 15 is worthless.

The game has a reputation for being hard yes, but that doesn't start until you hit the higher level missions. Even bozos can get through the apprentice dungeons with little difficulty. It is not a difficult game in the early dungeons. I laugh every time someone is like "guys I just got this game and beat my first boss and I'm doing great this is easy!!!!"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Stacking blight to the sky is how I deal with half the bosses in this game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The God Tier common trinket for apprentice dungeons is the dazzling charm (+20% stun).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just had a funny delve. Lost a party member on like the third room of a medium quest. Well gently caress, not only was that one pimping Grave Robber but now I'm way negative on gold if I run. Finish the battle and.... the secret room is scouted with three fights between it and the three party members still standing. We're in the cove with no healer. The party pitches camp, then tears hell to the secret room, grabs the loot, and bugs out.

Not too bad all things considered!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Throw dagger rank 3 ---> Plague grenade ----> Sniper's shot rank 4 = Goodbye back two enemies*

*May not achieve results on Champion dungeons

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My appreciation for most of the low ranked classes improved when I simply experimented with their less obvious skills. Probably more so for the Crusader than anyone else. Inspiring Cry = good. Holy lance = Good.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Also holy poo poo Man at Arm's Retribution or whatever the hell it is that activates Riposte.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RightClickSaveAs posted:

And here's the other person's idea:

"I want my trinket to do... everything!!!" :downs:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nakar posted:

I don't think "You don't have to do the bosses!" is even worth arguing. Of course people are going to want to do the bosses, don't be dense. They're "technically optional" but bosses are the only somewhat unique content in the game outside the DD and they drop rewards that help with doing the DD, telling someone to "just skip them" is idiotic.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The way they are handling resolve XP is misguided and it shows in people rapidly out leveling bosses and the guild/blacksmith for most of the game but then having to grind replacement teams for the final dungeon.

You should gain resolve slower than you do now for a good portion of the game, then increase the rate as the game progresses. Applying flat bonus or penalty is stupid. A simple and effective solution would be to lower the global rate somewhat, but to increase the resolve gain rate for every building in the hamlet that is maxed out (such that and max upgrades you are significantly above the current resolve generation rate).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Glidergun posted:

Tthe basic problem is that "outleveling the low-level content" and "getting dudes ready for the Darkest Dungeon" are in conflict, as far as ideal leveling speed goes. For the latter, you want to be able to pick a guy up, do one or two runs, and be ready to go. For the former, you want to have some time to play around.

I've said this before, but I think a good solution would be to have an expensive upgrade to the Stagecoach that lets you get resolve level 1/2/3 guys, possibly even level 4, but which is gated behind clearing boss tiers. This would down a lot of the grind on replacing Darkest Dungeon teams, but doesn't accelerate you through early-game content any faster.

Hmm pretty sensible solution but nope let's just take that level 4 guy who already is locked out of blacksmith/guild upgrades for want of heirlooms and slam him to the finish line lol!!!!

- Red Hook

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sloober posted:

Also i didn't scout the 12 pounder fight and that cannon is apparently super sneaky and snuck up on my guys and surprised them. I am going to imagine it hiding behind a tiny bush and my guys just blindly walking past it.

Scouting the boss room is never necessary. It is 100% of the time located in whatever room is farthest from your starting point. There is absolutely zero doubt about a boss location unless two or more rooms are equidistant from your starting room, which is something I have never seen since I started paying attention. I suspect the code prevents it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AnonSpore posted:

Does Darkest Dungeon support negative stat values? Like, is it possible to have negative PROT and if so do you take extra damage and so on?

I think I remember a tutorial tooltip somewhere saying that any values that go negative are treated as zero but I could be mistaken.

Or maybe it was just someone posting it here.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lmao this thread attacks anyone perceived as "not good" harder than the Dark Souls threads, which I thought had to be the apex of gitgood sentiment.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Beasteh posted:

You want the Vestal to be slow as poo poo so she can reactively heal, right? Is it ever worth upgrading her weapon?

I think going fast is always good because really attacking/stunning first round and the healing second round before the enemies is functionally the same for health bars as healing being the last thing in the round, but you get that added attack/stun.

Also I would upgrade her weapon because I think judgement is a great skill. If the vestal herself is wounded you still get a heal (albeit a lesser one) but bundled with an attack! What's not to love?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FreeKillB posted:

Hot of the presses: according to one of the devs in twitch chat, they're going to roll back the most recent 15% XP threshold changes.

That's good, I'm glad they realized it was a dumb change.

Jesus christ if DICE could just get some intern to edit an excel sheet at half the speed Red Hook does then Battlefront would have been playable weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snak posted:

Oh my god. This game has made me a horrible boss. I just had the most fun level 0 farming run in awhile. But I screwed up somewhere, and one of my party ended up getting afflicted. Oh well, I thought, they are level 0, I will just dismiss them after the quest. But due to my healer being irrational, one thing lead to another and by the halfway point of the quest, my entire group was afflicted. Now, they were doing fine, but from that point on, I was basically making them work as hard as the possibly could to survive so that the quest would be as profitable as possible... knowing the whole while I was going to fire them as soon as they completed it, since it wasn't worth paying the cost of treating the mental health issues that working for me caused them.

I'm already a demon, Kaz...I've already become at least as bad as the Ancestor.

edit: I haven't actually fired them yet, but really, I'm not sure I can justify the cost. They just aren't that good of employees. If they were good employees, they would have been able to perform the tasks assigned to them without becoming mentally ill...

What large corporation are you the CEO of?