Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Sympathy for your leper but no sympathy for the poor whores you've just given leprosy to?! :stonk:

If it makes you feel better, it's really hard to contract leprosy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I like the plague doctor quite a bit but dang she could use a buff. Flashbang is awesome for shutting up the obnoxious fuckers that are always in the back 2 ranks, and incision can wreck face, but I'm sort of underwhelmed by her buffs and other bomb attacks.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Waffle! posted:

I hate it when I'm two rooms into a mission, barely scratched, and I get hit with hunger and have to waste 4 food.

Know what sucks worse? Burning all your food on heals because your on the last square before the last room and getting hit with hunger. That mechanic is so stupid.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Are there any plans to add more enemy diversity to the game? It's a little maddening having skeleton courtiers/swine wretches show up in every encounter.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

the Plague Doctor needs some general work (better buffs, more abilities vs. Front rank enemies, maybe even a minor heal)

A small heal on Battlefield Medicine and making her bomb attacks deal a moderate amount of on-hit damage would put her squarely in the middle of the pack in terms of usefulness, I feel.

Fat Samurai posted:

Are there buddies with him now? I thought he was alone.

But yeah, if you can keep him like that for the entire fight you barely take any damage, and your healing during battle is adequate and you don't need extra stalling to recover. Which is the point I was trying to argue against.

It might just be me, but shifting attacks seem wildly unreliable. Enemies resist the Occultist's pull something like half/a third of the time.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jackard posted:

:laffo: at the dude theorizing the negatives of stunlocking when it clearly works in practice

I'm sure they'll correct it one way or another

If they take out stunlocking, they need to tweak the annoyance enemies - wretches, courtiers - to have way lower accuracy or something. I'm already disinclined to run warrens missions, just because I don't really want to work around having characters getting Syphilis, the Runs, Coughing, etc, because of one dickhead (who always goes first) spamming its one attack until killed.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Remove the bleed effect from Incision and make it deal additional damage based on how many ticks of blight or bleed damage are left on the enemy. Encourage synergy with hellions & highwaymen, ala the occultist/bounty hunter. Change the skill name to something like Bad Medicine. See how they wither and die!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm finding myself liking classes for their flavor bits and less so for their actual mechanics. Like, the Leper's little koans after critting, or the Grave Digger pep talks being weird compliments.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I have to say, the boss I have the most trouble with is the Swine Prince/King, because if Wilbur decides to keep using End These Two, you can end up with multiple people on death's door every turn.

And then they get killed by Wilbur and that's just humiliating.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

how me a frog posted:

I think this is really the biggest problem atm. There are quite clearly some classes that are a lot better overall than others. Does anyone even use plague doctors the hell is that dweeb even for.

I use plague doctors because I like their design and concept and don't really care about playing optimally. It'd be nice if their utility skills didn't fade so hard.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Apparently the PD's damage buff gets up to %25 at max, which is fairly sick. Slap a divine grace range heal on battlefield medicine, give blight bomb some burst damage and let it hit as far as the third row, make the back row stun go up in success rate as it levels to compensate for increased enemy resistance, and PD would be great.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Some dudes on the DD forums claim that disorienting blast is completely tits, but in the same post they also say that grave robber is useless so I basically have no idea.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Occultist's stab has a fuckin huge crit chance and ruins eldrich enemies.

Also I like that there's dialogue for having your party back up a long distance. They start bitching at each other for stepping on their feet.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

I half suspect it used to heal and they nerfed it during development for some reason, maybe not wanting two healers in the starting party.
Well going by from what I've read from some people itt, the early game difficulty could use a bit of smoothing out, so maybe two healers wouldn't be out of order.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The estate caretaker had given me $300 in gold, most of which was already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. Our packs looked like mobile alchemical labs. We had two bags of blinding powder, seventy-five sachets of blight toxin, five phials of high-powered experimental vapors, a salt shaker half full of invigorating powder, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored clotting agents, antivenoms, screamers, laughers and also a quart of gin, a quart of rum, a keg of ale, a pint of laudanum and two dozen wormwood pellets. Not that we needed all that for the expedition, but once you get locked into a serious drug-collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

The only thing that really worried me was the laudanum. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an opium binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Eonwe posted:

just remember, when you take laudanum you want to go for harm reduction
No more of that talk or I'll put the loving leeches on you, understand?
                                        /

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I love the Hag fight. Its probably one of the most memorable bosses I've seen in ages just because of how frustrating and horrifying it can be. Got some super badass party member? Hag doesn't give a poo poo, she'll just shove him into the pot for dinner. Better think fast! :witch:
And then she makes you taste them as they boil.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

MadJackMcJack posted:

Oh thank God, I'm getting sick of an enemy group getting to smash my face in before I can even move.

Also, is this guy worth keeping, or would his bad quirks make him a detriment?

I've also got a guy who has both increased and decreased stress resistance in 75%+ light. Guess he doesn't really know if he loves or hates the light.

Lockjaw's gotta go, though. It's up there with Creeping Cough and The Runs for me in terms of afflictions that get someone sent right to the sanitarium.

e. also I just realized that the Warrens area is a reference to The House on the Borderlands. Mutant pig-men living in tunnels underneath a remote estate.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 7, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
loving Hellion with no -ACC afflictions just whiffed three breakthroughs in a row against the Necromancer. I'm tempted to put her on the next stagecoach out of town for that pathetic showing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Leper doesn't really need a buff, imo. Once you upgrade him a little, he destroys everything. Get a little lucky with quirks and be real scrupulous about getting rid of anything that reduces accuracy, and you don't even have to worry about using his +ACC buff.

As for the whole "can't do poo poo if he gets pushed back", well it's good for classes to have weaknesses.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I actually took a leper on the hag fight, under the assumption that if he gets put in the pot he has enough HP that I can just burn the hag down before he even comes close to dying, and if someone else gets put in the pot he can get them out immediately with his outrageous front row damage.

Went ok. Maybe make it so he can use his self-buffs anywhere.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Normal Adult Human posted:

I tried this and he very very quickly ended up in the third row.

Mine ended up all the way at the back, but the fight was almost over so whatever. It "worked" but it's not something I would recommend.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Does the Plague Doctor ever stop sucking? Mine has failed to Heal Affliction all four times I've tried it and doesn't seem to have any real offense besides the whole 'stun the enemy back row' thing, which is of limited utility if I've killed any enemies yet (which I want to be doing to reduce incoming fire)

At higher skill levels, noxious blast can do 7-10 on the attack and accrue 3-4 dmg per turn after. Stack them high and you can rack up an impressive amount of damage per turn. Incision has a fairly sick crit rate and inflicts decent bleed. She's not bad, it's just that all the other damage dealers and support characters are better at their roles than her. And I think you just hit an RNG streak or something with Battlefield Medicine - I'd peg the failure rate at like 5-10%, which is probably just a basic chance for failure on all rolls that also accounts for how characters with 0 DOD can sometimes dodge attacks.

So, no there's no real reason to use her unless you like her camp skills. Which are pretty good.

Two new complaints:
1) Why the hell don't Occultist curses rise in efficacy as you level the skill? loving basic chaff enemies have like 60% debuff resist by mid-game.
2) Why is the chance to resist move attacks hidden? That's poor design.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 8, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

I love the character designs for this game. They get things across really well.

My new favorite detail is that the Occultist went to a liberal arts university and did poorly in anatomy class.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

My favorite detail is that each character reacts differently to breaking from stress. An abusive Plague Doctor will call her allied idiots with no common sense. A masochistic Leper will complain every time the enemy hits someone other than him because he really wants to die. An irrational Jester will do nothing but laugh and laugh and laugh.

It almost makes me want to intentionally stress out more guys so I can see all the different things they say.

Irrational lepers spout nonsensical koans about blossoms and leaves and poo poo and then hit themselves. Fearful vestals cry a lot.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Yeah those skeleton spearmen are a nasty surprise. Especially if you let them make their way to the front rank - hello, bastard rear end in a top hat cousin of blanket fire how are you

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So what do the witches in the weald do exactly? My grave robber seems to specialize in one-shotting them on the first turn so I've never seen them attack.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

Well, stress tends to be more dangerous than hit point damage unless you're always critting everywhere. There is a reason that the method of killing targets the back row, and the back row tends to be the stress causing enemies.

Yeah I rarely have guys die, but people go bonkers all the time.

Speaking of which, how are we to assume these adventurers are getting compensated? Sure the klepto ones will steal poo poo... usually, like, torches or busts or something. And really what are they planning on doing with those? is there a guy in town who can fence busts?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"Sure we won't actually pay you to put your life on the line so some prick can get his fancy house back, but you'll get all the flagellating and whoring you can carry away in both hands."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'll just say that the vestal who keeps donating my money to the church is lucky she's level 4 because that's a really good way to end up hitchhiking back home.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

I think what I love most about it is the statue. For just a second you think he's not alone.

It's all fun and games until he drags the suit of armor home and keeps trying to get it treatment for its terrible afflictions.

Can't you see he hasn't said a word in weeks? The man is sick and needs help.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Ok the sanitarium is definitely still bugged because I've put this leper away to lose an affliction three times now and nothing happens. I think it might be related to quitting out of the program after putting them in the sanitarium.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

My last adventure, I got hit by two straight crits from a pair of Bandits doing the 'hit your front two' slash attack that knocked my Highwayman to death's door and almost killed my Hellion, and somehow came back from it to finish the dungeon without losses. You gotta wonder what the hell bandits are doing in the dungeon.

Bandits are, far and away, the most dangerous enemies in the game. It's kinda messed up that I can run into a pack of slavering abominations and think "man, thank god its not a bunch of mundane human robbers."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

etalian posted:

So where do the skeletons find their stress causing wine?

I'm pretty sure they've got goblets full of blood. And I guess the answer is "from that party of lowbies you sent to their deaths last week."

e. how the heck does the party tell the difference between an Abusive hellion and a normal hellion enough to get stressed out by her screaming?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
You know what might make the non-attack skills more useful? Enemies with protection values. Big tanky guys who have physical damage mitigation but lousy resists otherwise. As it stands, the big enemies right now are just large piles of hitpoints that resist everything, so you have no reason to do anything but burn them down quickly.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

natetimm posted:

I got Syphilis from an ancient tome.

That's what you get for picking up any old book off the street, you rake.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lotish posted:

Whoever was complaining about the Mac version, the latest update says

Yessssss. I'm tempted to restart my game, because all my dudes are completely loaded down with quirks. It's kind of ridiculous.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So are you supposed to get a positive and a negative quirk after each mission or not? Because I'm still getting that.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lotish posted:

Hm. It's supposed to be (seemingly) random. Sometimes positive alone, sometimes negative alone, sometimes nothing, sometimes both. It should be unusual to always get both. Did you start over?

Every character always get both. I haven't started over, because I'm not wild about going through the early game meat grinder again just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Wyrd Reconstruction is great but you should never run him as the main healer. Pop it on your front liner type when they get down to about 60% health and it will treat you right.

Occultist fits well in that third rank slot and he brings a lot of nice utility, especially in the Weald where he gets big bonuses to damage against all the eldrich gribblies. He's probably my favorite class atm.