Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Apple2o posted:

I was watching some youtube LPs of this and I think the 40k style announcer is pretty hysterical. Can't wait for it on steam.

After watching Gyoru's stream, I began to feel like the narrator was kind of grating. There just wasn't enough variety in the things it could say to really handle how often he was getting beat up at low levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bobo the Red posted:

I don't get it either. I'm one of the people who backed at Nomad, and, in retrospect, I wish I'd gone higher, because this particular game looks amazing even at Early Access, and i want to play it right now.

But I'm certainly not gonna blame the makers for not giving me what I explicitly didn't pay for. There's an Early Access tier, after all.

With Early Access, you're always taking a gamble on just what you're going to get. Sometimes you win and get Darkest Dungeons and sometimes you lose and get Spacebase. In this case Early Access was the right bet, and I find it kind of amazing that people are losing their poo poo because they gambled and lost.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

victrix posted:

I find this game far less infuriating than FTL, and much easier :shobon:

My biggest gripe with FTL is that you can be locked into a losing state from the start, and not even know it until the end. When that happens you've pretty much wasted your time, as you didn't get any kind of advancement out of that run once you've unlocked the ships/finished the achievements.

At least with Darkest Dungeons if you go in with a team that's doomed to fail, you still have a chance to pull some loot out of the dungeon that you can use to make progress with.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't have a problem with stun-healing, I see it as your heroes getting their licks in. They're sadistic little bastards is all. It's like throwing a monster a blanket party.

I do think that after about round 5-10 there should be an increasing chance that other new monsters hear the noise and join the fun.

I think this is a terrible idea. I actually had at least 2 fights on my first dungeon run that dragged on for way too long thanks to RNG, and it probably would have made me give up on the game if it had suddenly gone "Whelp, you took too long, now have more monsters!".

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

For party comp I feel maxing out roster size is more important than what actually goes in the party, since it's pretty easy to build a team that works well enough. The holy trinity is always a safe bet, though I really like two grave robbers with lunge and a jester with solo, dirk, and ballad. Vestal sits behind and heals while they dance all over the place. It can get dicey since none of them have much health, but they can kill anywhere and opening with a double shadow fade is stupid amounts of dodge.

I got into a self-imposed situation where I didn't want to risk my good level 1 guys/have them level up, but wasn't getting any really "easy" dungeons to help refill my coffers. That basically lead to me hiring whatever 4 schmucks were on the wagon, tossing them into a group, and seeing how far they got. It's actually not a bad way to get a feel for how classes interact, and avoid getting stuck in the rut of "I must have class X for my team or else". I do feel a little bad for all the new guys who ended up dying, but I just wanted to see if they could clear one more room...

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

TheBlandName posted:

It bears keeping in mind that XCom was not designed for the ironman experience, and the ironman experience wasn't forced onto everyone who played XCom. As well, the (soft) failure state of aliens out-teching what basic rookies could deal with meant that one of the core-most parts of the mythical XCom experience was missing. In the original there was a parade of bodies. Largely because you could AFFORD to leave a trail of bodies. One rookie was just like any other, and could be swapped in or out of the skyranger without a second thought. Which meant the player noticed the handful that stuck around. The few who survived long enough to be remembered by name became cherished. But the mountain of corpses didn't matter because the strategic game practically won itself. Research plasma cannons, build plasma cannons, secure the world's airspace. Then blunder your way through the tactical tech tree and eventually research the Mars solution.

Paradoxically, the harder you make the strategic game the less the player can afford losses. If the game is to be about losing your heroes, they must be expendable. Both in terms of player time invested and strategic worth. Ideally the game would find some natural way where losing an experienced hero was a strategic gain.

Right, every time someone says "X-Com had a failure state!" they seem to conveniently forget that the default setting for X-Com lets you save whenever you want. Iron Man was a choice you could take, sure, but as you mentioned the game wasn't designed around it. When you took that choice you knew that you could be screwed, that 20 hours could go down the drain due to a series of misses or a lapse in judgement, and you were ok with that (probably because you felt you had mastered the normal game).

Traditional roguelikes (Nethack, DCSS, etc), by contrast, are built with ironman in mind. They're generally much shorter, and while losing a promising character can still sting you don't lose all that much in the way of time. Plus since a lot of the challenge of such games is learning what everything does, you're still making progress even when you're dieing.

Darkest Dungeons, however, is not really set up like that. While it does have the ironman-style saving, you're clearly meant to invest a lot of time building up your town/heroes. That puts it in an odd situation, where it feels like it needs something to help give it a sense of urgency, but having a mandatory failure state is overly punishing to the player.