Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
This game is loving stressful. For the player, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Just downed the Necro Apprentice. He has high stun resist but isn't fully immune, so once I stunned him once I made it a point to just lock him down for the rest of the fight. Ended up being way easier than I expected, although my party makeup and stress condition happened to be pretty ideal when I ran into him.

I agree that Crusader's Holy Lance is a great ability, especially if you pair it with a Jester or Graverobber who can leapfrog forward and set up repeated uses.

I haven't had much success with activated buff/debuff combat abilities. Because most enemy groups that are at full strength have the potential to absolutely wreck your party on any given turn, I generally blitz early on with stuns, pulls and raw damage. Once most of the enemies are eliminated I'll try to stunlock the last dude and have my damage dealers shuffle around to waste time while my Vestal or Occultist heals for as many rounds as possible.

For this reason I've tried to stay away from Lepers. Their damage output/toughness looks good on paper, but their low base chance to hit and the need to waste turns on a short duration self-buff makes them a very risky proposition, especially if the enemy has stuns or knockbacks of their own. I've had two expeditions that were utter disasters, both due mostly to a Leper who ended up being total dead weight due to forced moves, self-buff masturbation and endless misses.

The game is very good overall, but my least favorite aspect is probably that heroes suddenly refuse to go on green-difficulty missions as soon as they hit level three. They may think they're hot poo poo, but without all the blacksmith and guild upgrades they're likely to get stomped by orange-difficulty missions. And since gold is at such a premium, the only good solution I'm seeing is to use multiple separate low level expedition teams to funnel all your upgrades into one "main" team. It's pretty unsatisfying being forced to neglect most of your dudes just to keep pace with an artificial XP restriction.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Pavlov posted:

This is actually something I like. It means you can't just grind low level instances with high level characters. You always have to risk something going out. Thinks stop being quite so expensive once you get some of the -price improvements too.

I'm fine with requiring multiple parties and not being able to overgear dungeons, but my problem is that getting each team up to snuff doesn't happen organically. You need the loot from multiple teams just to be able to have a single team that isn't at an undue disadvantage.

I'd like it more if I could gear my guys up largely in parallel. As it stands, getting XP is often more of a hindrance than a boon, as it mostly represents a time limit and only provides real benefits if you have the gold to capitalize on it.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Occultist has seemed to have some of the best lines when he snaps from stress and gets Abusive.

From an early run that went south quickly, he started yelling insults at the rest of the party in dead languages and freaking them all out:

When my Occultist freaked out and turned Irrational, he started screaming as if he was possessed by one of he demons he communes with. "THIS ONE'S SOUL IS MINE. YOU MAY NOT HAVE HIM!", as he refused healing.

Game owns.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Norns posted:

Oh poo poo. This goes early access tomorrow? Is it near feature complete?

It's missing some of the hero classes and two of the five dungeon templates. Aside from that, it's pretty much done (as far as anyone knows).

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Normal Adult Human posted:

My starter highwayman cleans his guns, scouts ahead, and then gets eye of the tiger and a blessing and he had a 30% baseline crit with ranged attacks. It's a serious consideration whether i want him to immediately end the encounter with grapeshot or let it take longer for extra stress reduction.

edit: that guy is dead now.

Somebody needs to modify the :xcom: tag for this game

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Everyone posting seems to have their Jesters as back-row minstrel buff support, but I've had very good results using mine as a front-line brawler. Slice Off and Harvest do excellent damage against anything vulnerable to bleeds, and Dirk Stab is perfect for leapfrogging a Crusader and setting up repeated Holy Lances. With the Jester's high natural dodge rate i've found his survivability is at least as great as the Crusader's, and his high crit ends up reducing group stress quite a bit. Kinda surprising that watching a clown hack people apart as he cackles like The Joker would actually calm my party down, but there you are.

My A-Team starts each fight with Jester in the front, typically opening with Slice Off on whatever squishy victim is in the third space. Crusader is right behind him, following up with a Holy Lance to either finish off the wounded target or skewer the one behind it. Bounty Hunter is versatile but ends up spamming Flashbang most of the time to stun+shuffle, and Vestal in the back either uses her stun or casts Judgement to finish off anything that's teetering on the brink. Once most of the enemies are dead, it's time to stunlock the last fool for a round or three while the Vestal heals up any damage that was sustained.

I've equipped the three relevant party members with trinkets that improve their chance for stuns to succeed, and they seem to have made a big difference. My stuns are landing pretty consistently on enemies that list a 70% or higher chance to resist. The Necromancer never got a chance to act -- just sucker punched him on the first round with Stunning Blow and steadily clubbed until he popped like a piñata.

Things are going shockingly well so far in the midgame, especially compared to the early expeditions. I typically end missions with sub-10 accumulated stress and haven't had anyone drop below half health in ages. We'll see how well my luck holds once I start tackling Red-level missions.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 4, 2015

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Zaphod42 posted:

Agreed to all of this, except somehow you left off the best reason for having a Jester in your front line! :cheeky:

SOLO! The solo ability can be stupid good. You start the battle with Jester in front, and have him play solo once or twice, which debuffs the enemy team like crazy. Then you do a slice off, and then you have your crusaders start holy lancing like crazy. When the Jester is shuffled to the back, have him play stress reduction songs.

Its pretty effective.

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but my attempts at using Solo haven't been too effective. It has a decent chance to miss/be dodged, the debuff has an even higher chance to be resisted, and -10 Acc is probably only going to make the difference if they're attacking a target that already has a low chance to be struck (e.g. the Jester). Eliminating a target one round faster usually pays bigger dividends more consistently, in my experience.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Mo_Steel posted:

I was pumped until I realized his only Bleed is on his healing skill. :saddowns: Hands From The Abyss is his stun and it has a 10% crit bonus so maybe that's viable.

A shame about the class restriction. That thing would be totally bonkers on a Hellion.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Internet Kraken posted:

Basically all those guys died due to me experimenting with bad party layouts or being a dumb fucker. Pretty much all of them died on their very first deathblow too, so I'm wondering; do the first few weeks have some hidden bonus to death blow resist? In the first few weeks of my two runs, I had guys get hit in death's door multiple times and survive. Not sure if that was just dumb luck or the game being merciful to a new player/RNG victim.

There's definitely some resistance penetration going on in this game as you progress to higher levels, both for you and the enemy. My level 6 Vestal with a +10% stun trinket can stun enemies with 115% stun resist fairly regularly, and my Crusader with 100% stun resist still gets stunned every so often. It would make sense that this would affect Deathblow resist in the same way.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
It's worth noting that DoT effects are particularly effective against The Hag. Bleeds and blights tick any time the afflicted is about to take an action, and one of the Hag's traits is that she takes multiple actions per round. You DoT attacks end of delivering their damage very, very quickly. My Jester did the vast majority of the total damage to her just by using Slice Off every round.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Providing game difficulty settings seems like a pretty obvious solution.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Isn't the Plague Doctor a woman?

If you think that precludes a dick, you haven't spent enough time on the internet

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Leper looks like a hoss now. Crits for 40+, good tanking abilities, and the removal of accuracy means the most infuriating aspect of his kit is gone.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I like clerics in D&D as an archetype that heals, protects, and braves melee combat even though they aren't the toughest or most skilled combatants. I like their alturism and their belief in something aspirational beyond themselves, and I'm concerned the sequel will be a bit poorer thematically with a turn exclusively towards the bleaker characters like Hellion, Grave Robber, Highwayman, etc. I like those characters, but I'll miss what a Crusader or Acolyte brought to a party.

This sequel seems drastically more hopeful than the first one due to game structure and mechanics. The min-max strategy in DD1 was to recruit en masse, subject your parties to horrible trauma to extract the most money, then uplift the lucky few who became hardened while discarding the rest. Hbomberguy described it well in his Ludonarrative video as “being the CEO of the worst corporation in the world.”

In DD2 you are focused entirely on one party in a run. Even one death is catastrophic. Keeping stress low is crucial, as it fosters and maintains the good interpersonal relationships that give your party a fighting chance. Party disunity and hostile relationships cause a vicious cycle that will absolutely doom your run.

The hopeful tone in the middle of the apocalypse extends to small things, like running into helpless civilians on the road. Never are your options anything like “gently caress ‘em, let’s steal their supplies and move on”, but rather deciding the manner in which you’ll help them. The name of the metacurrency is literally “Hope”, and it’s even reflected in the tone of the title screen music.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Bolster is incredible now, Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I'm sure a lot of people have seen this before, but this short analysis video articulates a lot of my feelings on DD1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziqXwyCjuFE

I like DD2, but it's not a sequel. This would be like SimCopter being called SimCity 2 and marketed as such.