Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, this game is proving really difficult for me not because of the short-term character death -- that's a thing, but I can deal -- but because of the long-term cost of keeping my adventurers functioning. I keep going broke.

I will say that emphasizing stuns has helped a LOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

clockworkjoe posted:

You can recover from going broke by being a total bastard with new recruits - send them into dungeons, get some gold and then abandon quest. If they take too much stress, dismiss them and get more new recruits. There's no time limit to the game so far, so why not?

Keep torches fully light as much as possible just to avoid stress damage. That poo poo adds up.

Yeah I've started that. Didn't really appreciate how much difference the torch made till recently.

Also, found a bug. If you provision for a mission that needs camping, and exit out of provisioning, it will "resell" your free firewood for 500 gold.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

paradoxGentleman posted:

It seems like I spoke too soon: after the tutorial mission, the screen went black again. I moved the mouse at random and clicked, and I think I triggered something, because I heard that typewriter-like sound that is heard when something gets written in videogames. I closed the game and now I'm back to square one, with the cutscene narration but without the cutscene.

Well, of course. It's the darkest dungeon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lotish posted:

The Adventurer perks that reduce stress damage are amazing at keeping things under control. Anyone I've taken on a dive who hasn't had one of those for the area in question has been crazy by the halfway mark, but those with them are usually in complete control throughout.

The other secret weapon for controlling stress seems to be Stun attacks. If the enemy is kept stunned, it doesn't do all the things that raise your stress, and you can sit back and rack up critical hits and use other abilities that heal your stress. The Plague Doctor's blinding attack is great for this, as is the Vestal's dazzling light and the crusader's stunning blow.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lotish posted:

My Leper has Godfearing and Witness. The first means he'll only use Prayer to reduce Stress, the other...stops him from using Prayer.

I guess it's time for the Sanitarium!

That's when I just dismiss the buggers, at least if they're still level 1.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Can people give me some advice on how to mitigate stress damage? I've got people going bugfuck insane all the time, and I can't figure out how to mitigate the damage.

What's been working for me is a few things:

1) empahasize stuns, so that the opponent doesn't have a chance to do things that raise your stress. Plague Doctor's blinding gas attack is very good for this, as is the Vestal's dazzlign light and the Crusader's stunning blow.

2) KEEP YOUR TORCH LIT. You want to keep your torch above 75 at all times. Lower torch = you get surprised and brutalized + you suffer more stress when it happens because low torch. High torch and you surprise them and get a bunch of free attacks which help lower your stress (as you get crits etc).

3) If (when) despite all that your guys go over the line and snap and get a bunch of negative quirks, don't be afraid to ditch them, especially at low levels. It's not worth sending a level 1 crusader to the sanitarium; dismiss and replace him with a new recruit. Improve your adventurer wagon so that you get a good selection of newbies and can churn for good ones.

EDIT:

Before I go and lose a party facing the swine prince, what tactics do you need for him? I don't want major spoilers, just don't want to repeat the situation with the hag where I went into it blind with a party full of short range melee damage.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 1, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dackel posted:

If you have stun resist, use it.

Hah, wilbur like wilbur the pig from charlotte's web? Nice.

Where does stun resist even come from? Trinkets?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I wrote up a basic Getting Started guide and threw it up on Steam, incorporating a lot of the stuff people have posted in the thread so far.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=385431020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The more I play the Jester the more I love him. His stress heal song is just *so powerful*. I find myself taking high-stress-level characters on dungeon runs instead of sending them to the Abbey. I took him on a Long duration mission and only camped once, just for the buff skills; when I finished the mission everyone was at lower stress than when they'd started.

He does take the right party -- you need lots of stuns, and someone to be a dedicated healer -- but wow is he effective once he gets rolling.

Demiurge4 posted:

Has anyone figured out what some of the weirder quirks do? There's one that gives people visions and one where they think they're possessed by a demon. Obsessed with killing is another weird one that doesn't seem to have any real benefit or drawback.

I *suspect* they influence which types of Afflictions you're likely to get.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 2, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Here's a question: for the camp skills that rely on a character being "Religious," what does that mean precisely? Is it class based or quirk based?

EDIT:

Second set of questions. Diseases -- syphilis, the runs, rabies, etc. Has anyone had any success using the little medicine bowls to remove diseases? Maybe the plague doctor's 'leeches" camp skill? Or is it just the sanitarium?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 2, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

RubberBands Hurt posted:

One thing that's been fun to fiddle with is the default settings for new recruits. A mix of curiosity along with saving my serious masochistic dungeon crawling for release led me to poke around and see some of what was tweakable.

So, if you go to your install directory and edit some of the .json config files, you can tweak your game world a bit (in Steam, approximately here: Steam\SteamApps\common\DarkestDungeon\campaign\roster\roster.json)

Open that file in Wordpad/Vim/TextWhatever and try things like setting positive quirk min/max values to 7 and negative to 0 (or both to 7... or 0) - and/or set combat skills to 7 along with camping skills to 4 (class specific) and 3 (shared camping skills).

New recruits will have all their base skills unlocked, along with a full rack of positive traits. It certainly doesn't trivialize the game, but makes for some interesting party tweaking/combos right from the start based on their buffs (or really fun runs with all sorts of negative trait insanity). New traits will still happen when you're full at 7, they just replace an existing trait (I'm not sure if there's logic to this or it's random). Also saves some early resources with not having to worry about upgrading the camp skills or unlock base skills.

--------

In regards to dungeon items, always bring Holy Water to the Crypts (Confession booth will reduce a huge amount of stress with it for apparently anyone, and the shrine will give a %30 rather then %20 damage buff - but you may need to be a holy character for the shrine), and in regards to Alchemy tables that I haven't seen mentioned: A torch used on an Alchemy table will give 100% light, even when you're completely dark

Hahah, niiice tricks. Where are the save files kept? Can you back up your save file and restore to it to create a "hard" save in case things go south?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh my loving god :allears:

This is dangerous information

Mmmmm I love me a nice JSON

first world moral dilemmas:

Do I put this info into my Steam Guide or not/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Norns posted:

Oh poo poo. This goes early access tomorrow? Is it near feature complete?

About 66% complete. 3 out of five dungeons are in and 10 out of 14 classes. Fewer bugs than I see in most finished products from major game publishers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Muraena posted:

Awww please don't.

Yeah i'm gonna let someone else write the hacking guide. This game doesn't need it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

steakmancer posted:

I don't see a point in running a Grave Robber

e: apparently she's really good at disarming traps??? who cares

She can be good in the right mix with other classes. For example her and a Highwayman in the front rank, the Highwayman can use poit blank shot every round and she can use her Shadow Fade stun+dodge buff every round.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Wooooohooo! The developers tweeted my (our, really, since I took so much from this thread) guide!

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/562454791683469313

S.J. posted:

Paranoid is hilarious for this. If you have someone who becomes Paranoid, have someone else attempt to move into their space. Most of the time it doesn't work, the action is wasted, and the paranoid person is like 'DON'T loving COME NEAR ME I'LL CUT YOU'

The vestal gets all "Keep your hands to yourself you lech" though I forget the exact wording.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 3, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Demiurge4 posted:

Has anyone figured out what some of the weirder quirks do? There's one that gives people visions and one where they think they're possessed by a demon. Obsessed with killing is another weird one that doesn't seem to have any real benefit or drawback.

I figured out what obsessed with killing does: it makes the dude open up an iron maiden without waiting for you to use your medicinal herbs on it. Then he gets Claustrophobia.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ellbent posted:

In other news, I submit Deviant Tastes for the most freaky quirk because your dude has to be into some seriously weird poo poo to be banned from a brothel.

I once got a potential Occultist recruit who had both Deviant Tastes *and* syphilis. Note: Syphilis does not actually ban you from the brothel

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh, I stand corrected. That's cool.

I'm also hoping he has some way to shower one of your heroes with money to make them feel better. :homebrew:

There was some discussion of the Merchant in the kickstarter streams with the devs. Last I heard, the plan was that he would be a weak character in combat, but if you brought him along, you'd get higher gold rewards. Also he'd have a blunderbuss attack, but every time he fired it's strong attack, it would cost some gold and supplies, as he just shovelled everything down the barrel.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Vargs posted:

Most of my characters don't use trinkets, but a few are worth equipping. The ones that increase your offensive stats at over 75 light while tanking them at under 25 are amazing, since you should always have a nearly full light bar and can unequip them if things get truly dire. I also like trinkets that increase survivability at the expense of damage/accuracy for the Vestal, since she doesn't do much attacking anyways. And lastly, I've got something on my Hellion that gives her massive boosts, but decreases her death's door resistance, which is perfectly fine if you play it safe and never let her reach death's door.

Yeah another thing to look for are trinkets that reduce stats people don't have. Like I think there are some Vestal trinkets that decrease Dodge, but Vestals have 0 Dodge anyway, so no problem.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Innerguard posted:

Retrieve all your humble store keys. Should be listed there.

Oh if people backed the game at the lower levels they get their keys now?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Unzip and Attack posted:

Has anyone beat the "put the heroes in the pot" fight? Seems like there is no way to actually damage the hag - as soon as the pot with a hero in it gets destroyed a new one appears with full health and the very next move another hero goes back in and the pot is the only thing that can be targeted. I've never done more than 1 damage to the empty pot and it has 28 hitpoints.

Is this bugged?

You have to have attacks that can hit the back row. Hellion's Iron Swan, Crusader's Holy Lance, etc. She actually doesn't have many hit points, so the trick is letting your potted guys boil and nuking her down with long range attacks.

GloriousDemon posted:

Is there any strategy better than having a stunner and healer rake the last mob in fight for a full health party? Cause I've only done like five full dungeon sweeps, but have yet to lose a guy.

That strategy is the best for low levels yeah. It gets harder to pull off at higher levels when monsters have more stun resistance.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Al Borland posted:

Bad decision and what do you mean humble bundle poo poo?
I don't understand. I don't have kickstarter linked to humble bundle

If you can verify that you have a key please let me know, I have a couple other friends who are in the same boat -- backed on kickstarter and not sure if they can play now or not.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Al Borland posted:

thanks I claimed it I still don't see a key.

Honestly this is a bad decision if they're selling it but not giving it to about 3200 people. Its insulting. I guess my definition of release and theirs is different. Back in my day released meant you could buy it.

Now we have all this early access bullshit where you can buy the game and its not technically released even though anyone can get it? :confused:

I'd actually suggest complaining to the Developers via twitter or something similar. They're pretty responsive and may step up and help you guys.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dreylad posted:

Yeah. the $15 tier was labelled full release, while $20/$25 tier was listed as early access. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460250988/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios

I think a lot of people banked on early access being like most early access games (unfinished features, unpolished) and not what they released.

Yeah that's the thing, this is like the most polished Early Access ever.

That said maybe there should be a way for people who backed then to like only pay an additional $5 to start now or something, up their pledges.

It is kinda crap that if you backed then you have to buy a new EA copy to play now.

clockworkjoe posted:

I wonder if leveling up stun attacks reduces effective stun resistance . I hope it does, because otherwise, it looks everything outside of straight damage dealing is going to be useless in the last dungeons. It seems like every monster is getting 50% or higher resistance on everything on veteran quests.

I think you're also expected to start using trinkets to specialize -- if you want to stun you have to build for it etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Al Borland posted:

Well it also says january is when I should get my key. Its february now.

Also early access for BACKERS. IT never said mass public.

Yeah, make your case politely on the Steam forums or via Twitter -- those are the avenues the devs read most. I don't know if they'll respond quickl;y but you have a pretty good chance of getting a response I'd say.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Since we're getting a lot of new people I'll repost the link to my guide:

Should answer a lot of people's questions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DatonKallandor posted:

Also upgrade your Lepers people! They get huge benefits from upgrading equipment. Going from no dodge to 5% on the first armor upgrade and the first weapon upgrade doubles their speed.

They also pair really, really well with Jesters. The accuracy / crit song buff is amazing for them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I find the Crusader superior to the Leper because he's more mobile. If the Leper gets out of position your party can be in real trouble. He also has real problems hitting the back rank, which makes him weak for things like the Hag fight.

Overall the more I play the more my favorite class becomes the Jester. Most runs I make with a Jester everyone ends with less stress than they started. I've done several Long missions with jesters only camping once, and that just to get the camping buffs. The weakness of the Jester is that you can't have any duds anywhere else on your team -- he has so little direct offense that if your team can't protect him it's all gonna go south in a bad way.

If you haven't gotten a jester to work, try him with the stress relief song, the battle ballad buff, the forward lunge stab, and the front line solo for emergencies. You'll also need a healer and two good frontmen (Leper actually works really well because the Jester's accuracy buff helps them so much).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 4, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I wonder how effective it would be to take 3 characters with a forward movement attack (Crusader, Jester, Highwayman, Gravedigger) and rotate those attacks to take down targets. Jester could Solo if he ever started a turn in the front and with a healer in the back row you should be fine. The movement attacks all seem to be solid attacks that are versatile in which enemies they can target. If you did it with three geared-out Gravediggers they would be racking up crits like crazy, I think their movement attack has like a 10%+ crit chance bonus.

It works pretty well, I've tried a few varieties of Bouncy Party. Gravedigger, Crusader, and Highwayman all work well. You can throw in a Jester too but then your only damage healing is the Crusader's Battle Heal. Occultist and Vestal aren't mobile enough to work, though Occultist has versatile attacks from different positions, so that helps.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hrm.

Those of you who run with Occultist as primary/only healer, how do you deal with the whole Death's Door problem? It seems like the Occultist just can't save people from blight/bleed impending doom the way the Vestal can.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Putting together a list of what items to use on what objects. If you know any that I don't have listed please let me know.

Carcass:
Medicinal Herbs (gives ~18 food and guarantees no bad effects)

Chest:
Skeleton Key (Only if the chest doesn't say "Unlocked" - gives more chest loot and may guarantee no trap?)

Totem:
Holy Water (Seems to guarantee a good Totem effect)

Fountain:
Holy Water (Removes ~25 Stress from the character that does it)

Mummified Remains:
??? (I've tried shovel, anti-venom, medicinal herbs, holy water, and torch)

e: Also Occultist/Gravedigger/Jester/Highwayman bouncy team is really really strong. Tons of dodge, lots of crits, high damage, can hit pretty much any tile, multiple AoEs, healing, etc. Positioning literally does not matter so surprises or pushes/pulls mean nothing to you. This is a really good party for letting the torch run out, which increases crit rates. Dodge lets you completely avoid enemy crits, and your already high crit rates go even higher. All three of your bouncy guys have something special they can do from the front of the line too. Point Blank Shot when the Highwayman is in front kills most things in one hit, the Gravedigger stuns, and the Jester debuffs every enemy's accuracy.

These are the ones I have in my Guide -- collected from a few different sources but mostly this thread:

quote:

Shovels work on rubble obstacles and on graves in the Weald to avoid disease.
Holy water works on pagan altars, confession stalls, ashes, shrines, and skull piles; it will give a debuff on occult scrawlings.
The key works on locked chests, Heirloom Chests, and locked cabinets.
Medicinal Herbs work on animal carcasses in the Weald, Meat Wagons in the Warrens, and Alchemy Tables and Iron Maides in the Ruins.
Bandages will protect your hands from spiderwebs in the Weald.
You can use torches on alchemy tables to get instant 100% light and on piles of scrolls to remove negative quirks (using torches on books piles is generally not a good idea).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nuebot posted:

I really love this game so far. RIP Raynauld, you were a total badass but then got screwed over when one of my dudes stress broke and they went nuts.

Speaking of stress though, that's probably the most frustrating thing about this game. Not that it exists, it's a cool mechanic. But just that there's so little you can do about it, especially early on. Enemies will cast spells to raise it, your dudes gain it pretty much constantly and then you go back to town and you have no resources to reduce it. Like maybe if they scaled it back just a little bit it'd be better. Maybe not even for the whole game, but for the earlier areas at least then have it ramp up some. By the time I was done that tutorial quest to get to town, my two initial guys were almost at breaking point already.

It's very manageable once you learn to prevent & control it and. A Jester playing his two songs (stress reduction and +crit chance) really helps, as does keeping enemies stunlocked. Kill opponent back-row guys with stun causing attacks FIRST (bone courtiers, female acolytes).

In the tutorial mission use Reynauld's stun to on the weaker enemies so they don't get a chance to hit back. The main thing that causes stress is enemy crits, and the main way to reduce it is your own crits.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Bounty hunter and occultist are a great team; make sure your bounty hunter has the ability that does more damage on tagged opponents, and your occultist uses the hex that tags opponents. The occultist's heal is very powerful but keep it topped off. Your occultist can also Stun for the hunter but that puts him out of position for healing.

Every time you embark a week passes, and when you get back the guys you put in stress relief will (normally) be out and recovered.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Those of us who backed at the level to get the soundtrack haven't gotten it yet right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Taratang posted:

Has anyone figured out which classes are better at disarming traps? What affects the chances of success?

You can look on the character sheet and there's a little statistic that says like "Traps 50%". Higher is better.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Jesus the Steam forums turned into a colossal cesspit instantly the moment the game went live on Steam. While it was just the kickstarter backers it was actually decent, then WHAM 200+ page thread whining over the fact it costs twenty whole dollars.

MotU posted:

Should be up on Humble Bundle I think

Isn't yet as far as I see.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jackard posted:

Not supposed to be using Occultist on a DD; you cast wyrd on people at half health or keep them topped off

Yeah, that's the better strategy but you still seem to get into situations where a huge enemy crit takes you from full to death's door in a single round. Like the Jester, I feel like the Occultist is more viable the stronger the rest of the party is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Viridiant posted:

I'm loving this game so far. I've lost a few heroes but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Unless I'm missing something it seems like recruiting new heroes doesn't cost you anything? I like that.

I'm always bad at prioritizing which upgrades to buy first in games like these, so that guide posted earlier certainly helps. I feel like whenever you get to around the middle of the stagecoach's upgrade track is when you should start upgrading other stuff too? Namely the buildings that let you improve your abilities and equipment.

Once you're getting enough to replace your losses it's all subjective but honestly I didn't bother upgrading my blacksmith and guild hall significantly until I started running level 3 missions, and I delayed that for a long time. Different strategies are all viable, it's just that investing heavily into your troops in the early game tends to be a bad idea because they just aren't that survivable and even if they are they're too likely to get nasty quirks that will ruin them. I think the Blacksmith especially can wait until you have multiple level 3 adventurers with good quirk sets who you want to keep alive.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FrickenMoron posted:

Are there any classes that are just much better than others? A friend is swearing on using 2 Vestals with the stun and +light skill, but I wonder when hes going to run into trouble with that? Im still somewhat new myself in the game but doing kind of ok, finishing quests though is hard when my party is starting to fall apart and I have to use replacement goons.

The more I play with the classes that I thought were bad, the better they seem. Honestly my favorite classes right now are all the ones I thought were weak at first -- Jester, Bounty Hunter, etc. The main difference isn't so much "good" vs "bad" classes as it is "easy to use" vs "requires more careful setup".

Vestal is very straightforward to use and is a powerhouse in the early game because of her stuns and heals but as more villains get stun resistance she's less useful. Still the best healer overall though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FrickenMoron posted:

I can see Bounty Hunters being super good with the mark and +100% damage stuff, also they are excellent at pulling in annoying assholes from the back. I also like the Hellion skill that attack the back. I don't like Lepers because of the horrible accuracy.

The real weakness of Lepers is that they don't have an attack that can hit the back row and they don't have a way to reposition and attack at the same time. Their accuracy is a problem but improving their gear or buffing them with a Jester's song can solve that.

Highwaymen I generally like to go the Duellist's Advance / Point Blank Shot route and put them in a party with other very mobile people (grave robber, Crusader with Holy Lance).

VV I think the easiest combo to make work is a Crusader with Holy Lance and a Highwayman with Open Vein, Duellist's Advance, and PBS. You can also try a grave robber with Shadow Fade and Lunge. The setup does work bare-bones but some dodge trinkets really help it shine.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 4, 2015