Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Geokinesis posted:

I do love how much effort has gone into things such as the dialogue, as when stressed my Plague Doctor became irrational and started screaming about tiny small beings under glass making people sick. :v:

Also man when one guy goes their comments on other party members really ramp up the stress.

I was watching some youtube LPs of this and I think the 40k style announcer is pretty hysterical. Can't wait for it on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

victrix posted:

I can't watch these youtube videos, the players are horrible. Like, the tooltip says what it does! Read it! Ahhhhhh!

Got any links? I only found one youtuber who has actually wiped yet (on the second dungeon no doubt). You know it's way more fun when they are getting wrecked than watching someone steamroll.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm watching Brotatoe (what the hell?) playing right now....

Some of these twitch players are way too goddamn hype; this dude is like flailing around screaming over every move. I don't know how anyone could watch this crap for more than like 5 minutes.

Nemo2342 posted:

After watching Gyoru's stream, I began to feel like the narrator was kind of grating. There just wasn't enough variety in the things it could say to really handle how often he was getting beat up at low levels.

Ah, finally; gameplay without some autistic neckbeard superimposed over it. I will agree with you that they should probably tone the announcer down, like only a % chance for to say stuff instead of it just going off all the time. I skipped to like 20m in and the fight starts with his whole party eating a blanket shot crit; dudes got bad luck!

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

ZeusJupitar posted:

Take 8 torches for a short dungeon and 12+ for the longer ones. Never let the light go below two bars. Always focus fire on enemies with stress-inflicting attacks above anything else. Female cultists and skeleton courtiers are your worst enemy.

Isn't there some thing about letting your light levels tank for big loot though? Everyone spamming torches might just be fun-hating babies.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

S.J. posted:

Abusive is the loving worst. Party member crit a bad guy? Get stress. Party member kills a bad guy? Get stress. Party member misses? Get stress. Do anything? Get stress.

I dunno; I literally just had my first dungeon run ever ruined by a series of crits that made my plague doctor get masochistic. Next thing I know he's pushing himself to the front every fight and not moving out of the way for the melee characters. Good thing he got killed pretty quick up there.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

So is this a game your supposed to restart? It's week 8, I'm broke, and can't do anything but medium dungeons with rookies and a 1-2k gold budget. Do I just keep sending level 0's into the meatgrinder until I can scrouge up enough gold to put my A team through enough therapy to actually finish a level?

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So uh, yeah, I just got reamed really hard. Was doing the necromancer's apprentice quest, and like 4 rooms in I got surprised by a human party with two of the gunner types, even though I had a really high torch level. My melee was in the back two rows, my healer was out of position for healing, and I got crit twice by blanket fire (5 dmg on whole party), missed my stuns, and the turn order was such that I even had to pass with rear-most melee guy. Before I knew it, everyone in my party was at 20% hp without anyone in position still, so I had to bail on the fight and dungeon entirely. Now I have 1800 gold in the bank with my A-team fully stressed out.

Can I even recover from this position? How would it be possible?

Upgrade your stagecoach to bring in 4 new heroes each rotation. Send them into dungeons without provisions to gather as much stuff as possible, abandon the dungeon, then send them in again or fire them. Repeat until your A-team has enough gold for booze.

Though now that I have a hang on the combat system it's actually not so bad to send rookies into short dungeons without provisions and complete it (with them all going crazy and some dying of course). Stuns are pretty OP; especially when your just blanketing them down. My go-to has been a hellion for the front double stuns and a plague doctor for the double back stuns. Then an occultist for utility and a bounty hunter to do all the killing.

Apple2o fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 4, 2015

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

LizardBeam posted:

I'm really tempted to try an all Highwayman party. No healing would hurt, but camp in the first room, have everyone clean guns. Proceed to grapeshot/point blank/etc. every motherfucker. It seems, at the very least, amusing.

I think you mean camp the first room, clean guns, then get ambushed and miss every shot. Proceed to get tempting goblet'ted in the face a until your highwaymen are highwaychildren

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

Unzip and Attack posted:

Have to agree that blanket fire crit is pretty ridiculous awesome at low levels.

MORTALITY CLARIFIED IN A SINGLE STRIKE!

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

drat I just got my A-team wrecked by the swine prince. I thought he would stop enraged smashing everyone if I just finished off the little one really quick. He delivered 3 deathblows in one turn.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

drat. The difficulty jump from doing primarily short/medium level 1 dungeons to medium/long level 3 dungeons is pretty huge. My immobile stun-lock based comp got wrecked within like 3 fights.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

Saxophone posted:

I'm debating on getting this game. It looks wicked fun, but I'm also a giant sissy baby that would get really mad that I perma-lost someone. (Even though I play roguelikes)

Is there an acutal "Game over" situation or do you just kind of slowly upgrade your base and party (assuming they don't die) in spite of losing adventurers?

Get it, the game is pretty awesome. There's no actual "game overs" yet. But; losing leveled up and upgraded heroes is still excruciatingly painful.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

Mission accomplished :kheldragar:

What a load of crap that stunlock is though.

Apple2o fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 5, 2015

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

paranoid randroid posted:

Are there any plans to add more enemy diversity to the game? It's a little maddening having skeleton courtiers/swine wretches show up in every encounter.

There's a bunch of new enemies when you hit the 3 and 5 dungeon levels. And of course the two areas that are not implemented.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

ZenVulgarity posted:

How do I use the grave digger well

Start her in the back of the party; spam lunge(I think thats the name, you active it from the back and it moves her 3 spaces up). It does a ton of damage and has a high chance to crit, and it's drawback is moving her to the front of the party. So then you have other characters who jump in front of her after to move her back into lunge range. This is better accomplished using speed trinkets to try and ensure your guys move in the right order, or by using jesters.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

Baronjutter posted:

I’m sorry Red Hook, I’m done.

I tried to defend you guys on the forums.
I backed you back in May.
I watched your Dev Streams and even bought a copy for my brother.
I offered to buy a large amount of keys for your game to various Twitch Streamers.

I hadn’t played in 72 hours.
I get on today, am going through a dungeon, camp, and am fully healed. My heroes have stress levels of either 0 or less than 10.
We are awakened in the middle of our camp and the monsters go first, all of them.
3 of them crited in the 1st turn. TPK.
Fully healed with little to no stress and my party wiped out!
Not through anything I did, but through a stupid game mechanic. It’s not as if I made a bad decision I never got to make a decision, they game shoved a red hot poker into my nether regions before I could act.

Again, I wanted the game to be so much fun. I backed you and supported you. I trumpeted your name, but this is ridiculous. This wipe wasn’t ‘game ending’ but I don’t want to play a game that is that nuts. You might as well have me push a button, have a picture of Tyler or Chris or Kier waving the double duces at me with large letters that just say “**** YOU!” That might be more enjoyable.

Reply all you want. I’m done with the forums.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

GladRagKraken posted:

I'm really surprised to see people complaining that it needs to be harder, referencing Dark Souls, and then saying in order to be harder, Darkest Dungeon should have a failure state. Why not take a note from the game you just referenced, instead? Make the 3+ dungeons brutally difficult, and the 5+ dungeons soul-crushingly difficult. Bam. New people who are getting their bearings aren't hurt, people who are doing well have the game get harder. The failure state isn't you lose your progress, but rather you can't progress any further.

I do think the game is hurt by being far too fast and loose giving out quirks. When each character had 3 negative traits, I could keep track of them all. When each character has a dozen negative traits and picking up more overwrites the old ones, I just toss them in the sanitarium to remove anything super obnoxious and ignore the rest. I get that they want the toll of dungeon delving to be the adventurers becoming jibbering wrecks, but there's just too much to keep track of and it changes too quickly. What would be excellent is if instead of throwing yet more negative quirks on, when the adventurer has something bad happen, they made one of their existing quirks worse. Keeps the characters distinguishable, makes the negative quirks more meaningful, and makes the characters go crazy in a descent into madness way instead of a monkeycheese way.

This is a pretty good idea. I think the positive traits are fine as it is, and having them get better over time will be overpowered; or would at least require alot of balancing. Having bad quirks that also gain levels would make your guys more unique. So your guy gets ruins phobia 1 and you ignore it for a long time and bam he's got ruins phobia 3 and you better not take him in there or he will gently caress your day.

As far as a fail condition; they just need to have some missions that you have to do in 2-3 embarks and you get punished if you don't or fail. Gasp, the level 3 swine are preparing for an attack on the town hall and they are gonna steal your gold / steal your trinkets / kill a random hero / remove an upgrade if you don't stop them! Throw it in as an optional thing (gotta think of the carebears), and have them get harder as the game goes on. Now your progress can get set-back and hopefully you will get forced into some situations where you need to send a less than ideal team into a dungeon instead of steamrolling poo poo with your A team 24/7 like you can now.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

But they are soulless. Every single highway man has the same lines as every other highway man. There is nothing unique about any of your lepers. Steve the Plague Doctor and Bill the Plague Doctor are basically the same person.

Let's go make tons of unique lines for Dismas; so everyone can not ever hear them when he dies in the tutorial.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

Internet Kraken posted:

In Xcom you can let your guys die as much as you want after the first few months and it probably won't matter. Troops are easily replaceable in Xcom. Everyone in DD can be replaced eventually, but it takes time. Adding some kind of incremental difficulty would make it very easy to put yourself in a failure state after losing a good team as a result.

Clearly you haven't been forced to take rookies up against muton berserkers / elites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

paranoid randroid posted:

anecdotal i know but im kind of seeing the opposite in my game. the level 1 runs are more or less where theyve always been in terms of difficulty, but at level 2 things have gotten really brutal. i did a coves mission where i got nothing but groups of four spearfish that just savaged me. they pull guys out of marching order with their spear attacks now on top of everything else, you see, and i think i made it about five rooms before my guys fell into a stress cascade and i had to bail. im glad they re-did the heart attack mechanic not to cause instadeath because retreating from the last fight in that attempt topped two of my party members out on stress and made them have coronaries. it was insane.

i mean on one hand, its rude as heck. but on the other, wow guys are dying now!! i kind of liked that houndmaster a lot, but dudes are supposed to die in this game.

My first level 5 cove fight had my A-team get totally wrecked because I started off on the mini-boss. Super high prot, high damage crab that also liked to put 30 damage bleeds or something ridiculous on my guys every turn. In addition to two healers / buffers constantly topping it off and giving it damage buffs.