Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Managed to beat a dungeon run with 3 people on deaths door from the start to the end of the last fight. Leper just kept taking hits and doing the regen up thing, the Graverobber got a clutch flashing knives double-crit and it was over. This game is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
There's a few enemy types that will raise stress with their primary attack. Once one party member is at 100 (after 2-3 rounds if you're moderately unlucky) it quickly panic spirals.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

That's why blanket % increases are really bad and lazy design. If you're only going to have 5 level ups per skill, hand-craft them so they feel like (and are) upgrades. Making a player spend heirlooms to upgrade their trainer, then spend gold to upgrade their skills only for the upgrade to have no effect? That's lovely.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

TheBlandName posted:

Absolutely agree with your broad point. As of at least last night the iconic healing upgrades are hand-crafted, but not always so they feel like upgrades. The Vestal's party heal goes from 6 average damage to 8. Still poo poo, still better than every other heal, and it will always be insufficient for healing centric strategies imported from other RPGs that are used to a party heal being a big get-my-rear end-out-of-danger-because-I-ate-a-surprise-round button. Hell, it even improves more than other heals. The Occultist's goes from 5 average (less if you bleed) to 6 average, and the other Vestal heal from 4 average to 5. It still feels weak because your gut is recognizing something your mind isn't. Healing is often a poor use of a turn.

Oh yeah I never thought the party heal should be significant in terms of "how much does it heal", just in terms of "am I getting anything out of upgrading this"? The fact that damage generally outpaces heals is one of the things that makes the game so tense (in a good way). Some other non-healing skills also suffer from this - being able to get debuff percentages above 100% would be really nice so upgrading your 100% stun ability still gets you something more than 5% accuracy.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 2, 2015

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Also upgrade your Lepers people! They get huge benefits from upgrading equipment. Going from no dodge to 5% on the first armor upgrade and the first weapon upgrade doubles their speed.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Something to keep in mind about trinkets is that stats can't go negative. That -10 dodge trinket doesn't look so bad when you realize your dudes have sub 10 dodge anymore. Ditto for -SPD and other such trinkets. Can't go much lower than your starting value for a lot of things and the trade-off in terms of buff power is great.

This is especially especially important for -ACC trinkets. Base Accuracy is terrible for most classes so taking the trinket does nothing, because the lowest your accuracy can go is the value listed on the skill, regardless of any equipment (and probably debuffs too come to think of it - getting hit by negative accuracy debuffs might do nothing a lot of the time because you're unlikely to have any positive accuracy buffs on you anyway).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've been wondering about solo. On paper it looks good as a mass debuff, but unlike other debuffs it doesn't appear to stack with itself, and -ACC debuffs are odd anyway because (at least against PC's) they can't lower ACC below the attack's base value. SO I'm not sure that Solo actually *does* anything. On the other hand, the stress debuff is great, the Battle Song is *amazing* especially once it gets levelled up (+crit is the best buff in the game imho). The normal layout I run now is Battle, Stress, Lunge, and Slice.

I have the feeling solo doesn't do a thing unless the enemy uses something to buff their own accuracy first. Also enemies, even low dungeon level ones, seem to have really high debuff resistance compared to stun, bleed or blight resistance. Debuffs fail extremely often in my experience, while stuns are where the resistances say they should be (usually 3/4 or 1/2 in early dungeons).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Eonwe posted:

I love the actual concept of the leper, but compare him to the bounty hunter or hellion

the hellion can attack up front, do a grapeshot-esque attack, hit the 4th slot with a direct attack, boost her damage, etc

i actually think the hellion is my favorite class when you have a spot in your party but no real plans on what to use, very versatile

Ha. The Leper just kills the first two enemies and then kills the last two. He doesn't need to waste a turn with a damage boost because his damage is insane by default. Lepers are incredible and they are incredibly simple to build for too since they don't have to worry about any resistance bullshit when attacking. It's just a simple to-hit roll and then it's giant red numbers all the way to the end of the dungeon.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Lotish posted:

That's the reason I like the "clear 100 room battles" objective more than the "clear 90% of rooms" objective--sometimes you luck out and clear all the room battles in less than five minutes. :v:

This image from one of the House on the Borderlands adaptations looks familiar.

Well House on the Borderlands is about a house (supposedly built by the devil) standing on the edge of a chasm that turns out to contain a gateway to another dimension in the basement. This is basically part of the DD backstory. The part is probably Rats in the Walls (which also contains some fantastic insane breakdown ranting).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Mushrooman posted:

They could do something like how X-Com sends 3 abductions at you at once - you can only take one of them, and then panic goes up in the other two countries.

You mean replicate one of the worst mechanics ever invented? Hell no.