Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The game incentives it so far that it is an effective strategy with no drawbacks aside from being tedious. On the other hand, aborting a dungeon is also not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
You can't blame the players for doing something unfun but effective, regardless of designer intent. Things like that are like desire paths; you can blame pedestrians for not staying on the sidewalk, but the reason they're straying off of it is because its a better option than staying on.

I've done the stun/heal thing, since in the early game, you can be left with not too many other options. I can't do builds yet, and even playing smart just means hoping that virtual dice dont decide to gently caress with me. Getting crit twice by gun folk that I can't kill or displace in time due to inaccuracy / turn order stuff means I either need to abort the dungeon, fire everyone involved, hire a new party, and do a few suicide runs to make enough money to do another "real" attempt at completing a quest, in which I would do the exact same actions and hope that I don't get unlucky again. That, or I could just drag out a fight to 15 rounds to ensure everyone is fully healed, which is actually a very easy thing to do.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I don't really know the odds to the gun guy critting people twice in a row, other than it happened to me once, and I did not like it.

And so what if a dude resists a stun? Its not like he hulks out and kills people, it just means I'm likely going to have to throw out another heal. At worst, its a crit, which in terms of managing risks is just something that can happen and there's not much you can do about it. This is something you can plan around, too, in that you can bring two healers, and two stunners, or something along those lines, basically guaranteeing that you can end every fight with full health, no matter how badly the rng decides to screw with you. You act like this is an infeasible tactic or something. Its not, at least during early game.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Okay since it's been mentioned a lot, what's the deal with switching places? People keep mentioning it in relation to stunning and I don't get the benefit of it at all.

It lets you pass a turn without incurring stress.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
played this a while ago before the corpses were a thing

it is a lot better. it feels like it's less dependent on swingy random bullshit for difficulty, and I haven't felt like I've been hosed over by crits/misses at nearly the same rate as before.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 24, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
hag is a jerk and killed my jester

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
things you cant do when ambushed

1. light torches
2. retreat

would have been really good to know

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i can sympathize with getting angry and rage restarting since i just did it

in my defense that ambush where all my guys missed in the dark for three rounds then died felt like a real ratfuck and it lost me like uhhh a poo poo ton of cool stuff and im still feeling really huffy about it

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

victrix posted:

Why would you restart :psyduck: You lose all the development on your town, who cares about the dorks.

And you can avoid ambushes, make sure one of your camp skills is ambush protection before you set out.

i know, but i didnt have those and i figured "ahhh if i get ambushed ill just light torches or retreat" and didnt know those were things you couldnt do.

i have various reasons why i destroyed my blighted and cursed save file but the main reason i deleted it because it felt good to do it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you will never be a big game cheevo hunter with that attitude

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the curio thing is pretty silly; i dont really know why the devs think hiding information from the player is interesting to deal with

like if they just had the % chance of things happening and you got to pick what to do, and using an item helped mitigate the risk, that'd be better than "oh hey i can either eat poo poo until the game runs out of gotchas or just use an external resource and move on with my life". so maybe there'd be actual interesting choices involved once you realize which curios exist to make you miserable and which ones give you a 30% damage boost or w/e

i guess its a bit more old school but imo that kind of gameplay mechanic was buried alive for a good reason

e: and yeah i dont really care how much the game goes on about expendability, replacing guys after a wipe is actually pretty painful and boring. itd be nice to be able to pay money or something to just get a higher level guy straight off instead of going through the lowbie dungeons again and again. especially when they keep picking up the goddamn yips for the nth loving time

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 24, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Rascyc posted:

At least torching a stack of books once is memorable hehehe. Wouldn't want to find that one out on a real run though!
i found that out on a real run

it was incredibly unamusing

e: it really reminds me of mario maker; my friend plays and makes levels in it and complains incessantly about level makers doing stuff like putting in multiple choice doors where all but one kill you, or other sort of "cute" traps that either kill you outright or force you to restart; having a defense of "you should have known because x!" isn't really an excuse for abusing player trust with arbitrary punishments in the name of playing at some hardcore gaming rusemaster. i really don't want my primary consideration when playing a game to be trying to read the game developer's mind of know what random action is going to reward or punish me based on some troll logic.

ok thats my whiny steam review on the matter

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 24, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i remember when that poo poo stunlocked teams to death

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Rascyc posted:

You can't retreat from the shambler when you go into the void zone.

i retreated from it, after using the torch on shrine deal? or are you talking about something else.

only thing ive seen you can't retreat from are camp ambushes, which im going to be salty about until the death of our star at the very least

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

FreeKillB posted:

I saw a post on the steam forums that said that you can actually retreat from camp ambushes, just not on the first turn or two. Confirm/Deny?

tentative deny, but i may not have noticed. I tried retreating on the second round after things had started to poo poo the bed, it could have opened up the option later.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Are camp ambushes affected by where the room is in the dungeon or is it just random? I've never had an ambush in a room where there's just one door, but always in a room with multiple doors, but that could just be coincidence

yeah maybe.

I really, really hate trying to guess at game mechanics, though. this game is pretty nice about a lot of things (showing hit chances, enemy types, known enemy moves, etc) but there's a few gotcha mechanics which as i mentioned, im a real wet blanket about.

i still have angry flashbacks about ultimate general: gettysburg.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i do want to emphasise that i actually really enjoy this game

but people get real smug about defending questionable mechanics. its like the dark souls of video games.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

packetmantis posted:

If your abomination gets afflicted/virtuous while he's Goat Man the graphic is of him as a human, I wonder if that's a bug or if they were just too lazy to draw a separate pic of him cowering.

The virtuous graphic I got of him when he was a goat was of his goat form.

a powerful goat man

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

Doesn't the abomination shift back when he's afflicted?

a negative affliction, yah

abomination is a pretty fun but barring him from running with some guys is an annoyance. i mean yeah it kind of makes sense from a fluff standpoint but on the other hand i dont think there's a real gameplay purpose to it, like stopping some broken combo

id honestly think itd be better if the holy crew just had a constant affliction type deal with them. refusing to heal, constant nagging, etc. that'd actually be an interesting sort of thing to deal with on its own; a character that just inspires animosity from others.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

packetmantis posted:

I had him get afflicted once and still be able to transform. Maybe it still works if he's abusive?

perhaps; i dont remember which one I received, but it blocked the use of the ability. might be linked to having 100+ stress, since being virtuous knocks down your stress meter a fair deal.

virtues are weird; it feels like theres some kind of unknowable factors going into it since sometimes you just get a whole crew of guys blazing like little torches in the night. my fatal camp experience had the last two survivors go all heroic, which was pretty :smith: of them. suppose that's just how the rng goes sometimes, though, since I imagine it's just a flat % chance.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Firstborn posted:

nigga why do you play this game

i play blood bowl too

its uh, its not a healthy reason, whatever it is

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i lost a match because once because dwarf dodged then completed a long pass

few horrors in this world can compare

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yo i dont remember whose advice on the shambler was "kill shambler first and ignore the little things as they buff themselves" but your advice sucked, dude

turns out the little things continue to exist after the big guy eats it. SALT.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i was actually trying to keep them down but they dodged two rakes in a row and after that point they got a little too hot to handle

my mistake was thinking killing the big dude would solve things a bit, which was a really dumb mistake on my part. should have booked it, since i had to run in the end anyways.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
abomination gets really silly with the protective chains and some -stress item.

it doesn't hurt that his base form is still a solid character.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
hag killed dimas :qq:

gently caress you hag

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
killed the second hag after three tries. went occult-jester-abomination-helion, and she was nice enough to take the occultist so the remaining three just burst her down with bleeding attacks and angry goat attacks.

wasn't even close; occultist still had half his hp at the end. you can't spend any time doing anything except outputting violence at the hag; with her self heal nonsense, she wins battles of attrition. ignore the pot.

she has been the only mid tier boss to really give me a rough time. ive got the flesh, siren, and boat left, and im most unenthused about the siren.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yeah tbh I've sort of hit a point where trinkets give enough of a healing output that you can just stay topped off on health by dragging out a battle for a bit after the stress dealers are dead. 46 crit heals aren't nothing to scoff at.

stress is a much bigger pain in the rear end to recover from. jesters are great for that, at least.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Snak posted:

Yeah, I do all those things. But still, law of averages, two characters wiff in a row, boom, someone has 30 stress.

I guess I'll go try to reach one of the bosses again and report back how it goes.

I really miss hound masters. There hasn't been one in the last 20 recruits from the stagecoach.

I'm mostly just afraid. I've only seen one boss ever, and since I hadn't seen it before, I didn't know anything about the fight and whiped immediately. If I take my good guys who have a chance and they wipe, I'll be set back hours.

go ahead and look at the wiki on them.

it's not really fun to lose dudes because you didn't know that, say, you had to have long range attacks, or a means to burst down a specific guy a turn, or whatever.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Snak posted:

So, speaking of Bounty Hunters, I don't understand the Collect Bounty ability at all. It says

ACC base: 85
CRIT mod: 5%
Self: +90% DMG vs Marked+
Self: +15% DMG vs Human

Which in my brain means that in addition to doing damage, it applies a buff to the bounty hunter that gives him +90% damage against marked. But it doesn't do this. What does it do?

So far, Bounty Hunters seem to be the worst class. Would rather have a plague doctor or occultist.

edit: ^ in the first room, I got shuffled so that my Vestal was in the Front and Crusader in the back. Second battle was all spiders, wiff wiff wiff die retreat fail retreat fail retreat fail die retreat.

he does that much extra damage against marked foes, which is it's own mechanic.

he also does bonus damage against humans.

your dislike of him is a bit telling; I consider him one of the best characters. he can do incredible damage when you mark things for him, but he also does a lot of "soft" stuff; moving around foes and stunning them. crowd control is very, very important. some foes become a lot weaker in the wrong position. and stunning lets you focus on one dude at a time while the more troublesome, harder to kill foes are left for later.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
man at arms is real ehhh, imo.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
on healers: vest is better on early on with her consistent heals and stun, but occult gets better later, imo, as his mark and move abilities get more relevant.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

If you only remove klepto and never lock in good quirks, what on earth do you spend all your gold on :confused:

e: to clarify I mean for experienced players, not new guys struggling with keeping their dudes destressed

upgrading skills, arms, and armour.

having those upgraded means your guys miss less, dodge more, have more health, heal better, stun better, etc etc. spending 6k for the vast majority of traits is not worth it at all in comparison.

once your skills and gear are upgraded, dark runs go from suicidal to cakewalk. if you're not hauling in 20k+ every run, you're just muckin about.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i hate the hag

just burst her down and bleed her; don't try to attack the pot

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

widespread posted:

You're probably also gonna hate the crew. One of their attacks is to add an enemy whose purpose is to immobilize the very front, inflicting stress AND giving the crew 3 HP per turn. Oh, and the crew can and will force a party member to the front if they can. And also, the enemy has a 50% PROT rating, which goes to the crew after immobilization.

crew is easy when you just throw an abomination in the front; it's not like your front liner can't attack. haven't taken on the tier 2 version yet, though.

siren is the one I'm not thrilled to meet again.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i dislike cove more

those loving shield fish are the worst for no reason other than they take an obnoxious length of time to die. that and four packs of those sword fish deal a frightening amount of hurt in short order.

pigland is also obnoxious due to the puke pigs dropping lovely diseases.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Jackard posted:

Occ-Jes-Grv-Dismas has the title "Who's Laughing Now?"

Doubting it's the Jester or Graverobber, who were eaten by spiders.

jester mans dead and im laughing
ha

grave robbers dead and i can't stop laughing

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Realizing that my next fight will now ALWAYS be that colossal dickhead, I also just have to abandon the mission.

incorrect

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I enjoy saving a log for the very end, so I can focus on destressing / disease curing as a means of saving money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
also a tip for people: don't needlessly hoard funds. spend that poo poo on improving skills, weapons, or grabbing good trinkets. if you cheap out on that, you'll be losing out, either by not maximizing the amount of coin you get in a mission, or by having to destress/replace the fucks you sent in with subpar gear.