Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

They can lose unequipped trinkets too. Think of it like kids and a cookie jar. You, the mom, leave the room to clean up the eldritch horrors, and your punk kid Dismas comes in and sneaks out with a cookie he doesn't deserve.

Ok that makes more sense :eng99:

To the chapel with you, heathens.

Don't come up with dumb rules that make the game harder and then complain it's harder. The whole point of the town development is making the game easier to progress and recover as you play. Restarting scraps all of that. If you can't let go of people dying, this isn't the game for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

vandalism posted:

This game can suck my dick. I've restarted it a couple of times because I just wasn't happy with how my game was going. Now, I had a sweet start and everything was cool. Had a medium dungeon run with Reynaud and Dismas plus a PD and Vestal. Things were going great. I got slugger, low stress, wrecking everything. Then the loving collector shows up. He didn't kill any of my dudes and I got him, so I decided to go on. Last room fight everyone got overstressed and Dismas got killed. loving bullshit. I keep restarting when I get pissed at the game. Probably dumb, but I don't wanna lose Reynaud or Dismas. I am just abysmally bad at this game.

I don't like how they've changed the game from EA launch. They spent time trying to kick the player in the dick even harder with every change.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i can sympathize with getting angry and rage restarting since i just did it

in my defense that ambush where all my guys missed in the dark for three rounds then died felt like a real ratfuck and it lost me like uhhh a poo poo ton of cool stuff and im still feeling really huffy about it

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Also dismas and reynaud suck and I fire them if they don't die in the first few missions

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Why would you restart :psyduck: You lose all the development on your town, who cares about the dorks.

And you can avoid ambushes, make sure one of your camp skills is ambush protection before you set out.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Darth Windu posted:

Also dismas and reynaud suck and I fire them if they don't die in the first few missions

hisssss

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

vandalism posted:

This game can suck my dick. I've restarted it a couple of times because I just wasn't happy with how my game was going. Now, I had a sweet start and everything was cool. Had a medium dungeon run with Reynaud and Dismas plus a PD and Vestal. Things were going great. I got slugger, low stress, wrecking everything. Then the loving collector shows up. He didn't kill any of my dudes and I got him, so I decided to go on. Last room fight everyone got overstressed and Dismas got killed. loving bullshit. I keep restarting when I get pissed at the game. Probably dumb, but I don't wanna lose Reynaud or Dismas. I am just abysmally bad at this game.

I don't like how they've changed the game from EA launch. They spent time trying to kick the player in the dick even harder with every change.

source your steam review quotes please

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

victrix posted:

Why would you restart :psyduck: You lose all the development on your town, who cares about the dorks.

And you can avoid ambushes, make sure one of your camp skills is ambush protection before you set out.

i know, but i didnt have those and i figured "ahhh if i get ambushed ill just light torches or retreat" and didnt know those were things you couldnt do.

i have various reasons why i destroyed my blighted and cursed save file but the main reason i deleted it because it felt good to do it.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Darth Windu posted:

Doesn't Reynaud always have Kleptomania? Man, gently caress that guy. And Dismas is just asking to be dismissed.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you will never be a big game cheevo hunter with that attitude

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I feel like they kinda phoned it in on the Darkest Dungeon. It's four missions with really cool and unique elements (dark scouting), awesome backgrounds and enemy types and you're locked out of it for the entire game. It could have been a really awesome risk/reward set piece for the entire game with more punishing RNG and no retreats but it's just a story conclusion element. I am disappointed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I restarted once just because I had no idea what I was doing at first and had unmanaged quirk growth all over the board which I found aggravating. This is mainly because I had no concept of managing curios, which I now realize is absolutely essential to success. It also let me reasonably assemble and manage my roster based on what to expect in each zone, which is something else that takes time to understand.

Game is starting to grow on me I think.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I can see Curios easily tricking many players (as it did me). In most games you touch everything you see and expect maybe a bad result here or there but overall net positive outcomes, here one poor curio interaction can ruin a character for the entire current run and onwards if you can't afford treatment for your new crap quirk or disease, with the positive being yay you get 4 more food once in a while. I avoid many curios like the plague they carry unless I have the correct item for interacting with them, excepting times of desperate need or characters getting dismissed regardless and so on.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I really like the Grave Robber vs. the Cannon. Thrown dagger consistently one shots the fuseman, and the stacking Acc buff means after the first time it's highly unlikely to miss.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah, i did the 12-pounder with a grave robber. she killed a guy each round. mind you, i tend to kill everyone before attacking the cannon, and it took about 18 rounds

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah the X-pounder is kind of an annoying slog more than an actual danger :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just stun the fuseman/gun dick rather than kill them every single round. I just had a plague doc use her aoe stun on them and then kill them the next turn.

Worked well until the 16 pounder which I still haven't beat. I was going too once but then my Hellion missed the fuseman and he lit the cannon putting everyone in death's door instantly. And then the rear end in a top hat with the gun got the first move and I cried. So maybe I'll try a graverobber next time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does each dungeon have a set number of bosses?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

vandalism posted:

I played the game like this for awhile.

This is not the way to play the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Do Dismas and Reynauld have to be at the final boss battle or just alive in the roster when you complete the campaign?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Highwayman shows 110% chance for trap disarm*

*Highwayman interacts with trap*

*Trap triggers and hurts the Highwayman*

:geno:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
How quickly the tide turns!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Success so clearly in view...!

also, gently caress: all my healers are level 5, and i've never managed to complete even a Short champion dungeon

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

also, gently caress: all my healers are level 5, and i've never managed to complete even a Short champion dungeon

Or is it a trick of the LIGHT

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I by no means regret my purchase, but ten hours in it's becoming clear just how much grinding is expected of me to reach the end game, and I just can't bring myself to play it anymore.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

I just lost my precious Reynauld to the first level 5 short dungeon. Overconfidence got him; I hadn't even bothered to fully upgrade his gear and skills. How does a week 55 restart sound :cry:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

victrix posted:

As far as I can tell once you do all the easy missions and spend all your money on characters who die you for all intents and purposes can't play the game anymore. I don't want to go camping with a bunch of 0s on a medium length mission with no money for torches or food. That is 100% a failure condition and I've had to restart twice now.

I mean nothing I bought, no institutional upgrades change the fact that the only characters that show up have the wrong skills and no armor. I have level 0 naked idiots who are definitely going to starve to death and go crazy in these long missions since I have literally zero gold and can't buy even a single torch or meal.

I"m not going to load up a suicide squad to clear out one hallway come home and fire them with their awful mental problems, repeat 30 times to get maybe 6k gold to equip a real party who will also die because they are still level 0 and can't be upgraded anyway.

Once you're in a hole it's real tempting to try again and hope you don't lose your A team to getting a boner from flagellation and never leaving the goddamn vestry. This would be a non issue if they didn't upgrade zones and remove easy missions after you've completed them or didn't gate all experience behind a successful mission complete.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So cheat.

Man I still have a bunch of apprentice runs despite half a full kitted roster.

Personally I don't care for suicide runs either but if you don't understand the game then you probably need to lose a bunch of bodies to learn. Like if you are seriously in stress city after a short apprentice run, then you are probably not stunning the enemies that use stress attacks. Stupid stuff like that.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 24, 2016

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I by no means regret my purchase, but ten hours in it's becoming clear just how much grinding is expected of me to reach the end game, and I just can't bring myself to play it anymore.

It's the same for me. At ten hours in I have a feeling that I'll have to grind like mad in order to complete the game, and I'm not enjoying the combat enough to keep grinding

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol

stress 40 right out the gate

e: it's me austin, the Uca Crusher in the second hallway tile

it was me all along

ee: followed by a second uca crusher in the room!!

eee: and a third in the second corridor

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 24, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Do Dismas and Reynauld have to be at the final boss battle or just alive in the roster when you complete the campaign?

lol what??? I hope that's not a thing, I had Dismas die a while back

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rascyc posted:

So cheat.

Man I still have a bunch of apprentice runs despite half a full kitted roster.

Personally I don't care for suicide runs either but if you don't understand the game then you probably need to lose a bunch of bodies to learn. Like if you are seriously in stress city after a short apprentice run, then you are probably not stunning the enemies that use stress attacks. Stupid stuff like that.

That's what I did. I like the setting and the bits of story I uncovered but goddamn the gameplay just isn't for me. It's too meat grindery for my tastes.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
The Leper is actually the best hero for the cannon fight, because he can use his double hit skill to consistently kill the melee dude while hitting the cannon each turn. All you have to do is take 3 other people who can kill the other 2 guys, which is easy. The abomination can do this too, but the fight goes for a long time, and the stress would really rack up, so leper is actually better.

So even the Leper has his niche.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MinibarMatchman posted:

It's just for an achievement

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MinibarMatchman posted:

Just a stupid chievo

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"hit consistently" is something I wouldn't say about the Leper but I WAS dumb enough to take him in a party for the Hag, and his big hit at least came in use for knocking guys out of the pot in one hit. Luckily I had GRobber and Highwayman so the shuffling didn't gently caress with him that much. He's great if you ar elucky with to get big crits and can help finish a fight quick.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
All true statements from those who quoted me; however, game can still suck my dick. I got collector on my first dungeon run after the intro one and I beat him, owned fucker. I only restarted if Dismas or Reynaud died. I used to be pretty good at the game when it first came out, but the changes have been a bit much for me to adapt to. I don't really care about losing my dudes, but I was just broke by week 15 or whatever and was like gently caress this, restarting. It was also a restart for the release, so no big deal. This game, I will stick with.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

The Leper is actually the best hero for the cannon fight, because he can use his double hit skill to consistently kill the melee dude while hitting the cannon each turn. All you have to do is take 3 other people who can kill the other 2 guys, which is easy. The abomination can do this too, but the fight goes for a long time, and the stress would really rack up, so leper is actually better.

So even the Leper has his niche.

It takes something like +100% damage bonus to do this at apprentice level and more like +300% at champion level. That's just to kill a melee bandit at average damage, not minimum.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

I think that this achievement is a newbie trap to trick people into treating heroes (especially leveled heroes) as truly indispensable, rather than assets that you have to risk once in a while.

Krinkle posted:

As far as I can tell once you do all the easy missions and spend all your money on characters who die you for all intents and purposes can't play the game anymore. I don't want to go camping with a bunch of 0s on a medium length mission with no money for torches or food. That is 100% a failure condition and I've had to restart twice now.

I mean nothing I bought, no institutional upgrades change the fact that the only characters that show up have the wrong skills and no armor. I have level 0 naked idiots who are definitely going to starve to death and go crazy in these long missions since I have literally zero gold and can't buy even a single torch or meal.

I"m not going to load up a suicide squad to clear out one hallway come home and fire them with their awful mental problems, repeat 30 times to get maybe 6k gold to equip a real party who will also die because they are still level 0 and can't be upgraded anyway.

Once you're in a hole it's real tempting to try again and hope you don't lose your A team to getting a boner from flagellation and never leaving the goddamn vestry. This would be a non issue if they didn't upgrade zones and remove easy missions after you've completed them or didn't gate all experience behind a successful mission complete.
If you don't have any money for provisions, I would expect that short missions will have a better supply chance. You don't need too many suicide runs per se, since a team of level 0's can be outfitted to take on a short mission for less than 2000, or less than 1000 if you're willing to cut corners drastically. I intend to test out how much grinding is needed if you start out with literally nothing by having a save sacrificing all four starting characters and gold into the Darkest Dungeon, will report later. Somehow doing suicide runs with underequipped scrubs reliably gives me an adrenaline rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I got a Fated Leper I'm itching to try out.