Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I definitely think there's room for them to add more variety to the game. They've absolutely got a solid foundation to build on, and I'm hoping they continue to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'd rather see them introduce more potential reasons to delay camping, not necessarily more 'until you camp' debuffs but maybe things like camp skills that are stronger the more rooms you've cleared before you apply them, or increased loot drops before you camp or something. Things that make it a genuine decision with tradeoffs (the way torch use is now) rather than either a no-brainer or a "gently caress you, that strategy's too good so we're taking it away".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I do legit hope there's some voiceover along the lines of "The terrified heroes fruitlessly seek advantage wherever they can find it." when those options are disabled. Nothing necessarily punitive or even mocking, just an acknowledgement that you're all still hosed.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Boing posted:

Jester has a really good single-target stress heal if the rest of your team is capable enough of handling fights on their own. Bring him along in rank 4 and let him keep your entire party at 0 stress for the entire dungeon. It's more of a strategic long-term move since it means you don't have to bench your guys at the bar back in the Hamlet.

I've found this works really well with an Abomination in the party.

I've also used a Jester in an "everyone moves all the time anyway so gently caress your position-swapping monsters" experiment, and it worked out reasonably well. (Both the Jester and the experiment.) Though it's been long enough I can't recall exactly what I did. I think I had a Grave Robber using shadow fade and that lunge ability, a Highwayman with his move skills and...possibly a Crusader? I think I was after someone that could function half-decently as a healer and still have some mobility, but I remember that being the weakest bit of the party.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jesters have their place (in the back keeping everyone else from curling up into a fetal position while your Abomination wrecks poo poo).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This is why I don't feel bad about dismissing the weak and the insane.

They're the fortunate ones. I'm doing them a favor.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've already been cursed by God, how much worse can it...

Oh.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

AM I DOING IT RIGHT?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

UberJew posted:

what do you call four dead jesters

I'll let you know.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I actually wanted to keep one of my jesters (and the trinket I got from the Shambler fight) so I retreated when he was the only one left. They did beat the Shambler though! (Bringing their grand total of fights won to, er, one.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pavlov posted:

Darkest Dungeon actually has names for some of it's compositions, which pop up when you lock them in. I think Vestal/Jester/GR/Highwayman is "Wine, Women, and Song".

I can attest from experience that 4 Jesters is "Fools Rush In", which seems, at best, optimistic.

Out of curiosity, how hard would it be to mod the game so that it only makes one class available on the stagecoach every week? Asking for a friend...

paradoxGentleman posted:

seriously though they aren't all meant to be effective teams I imagine. It could maybe work if the first Jester uses Solo and Solo is for some reason more effective then I thought,

Even by Jester standards, Solo has never really blown me away except as a way to set up Finale (if you really must).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

dogstile posted:

Its like 1000 gold for a full rekit of basic skills isn't it? How do you not have enough money to completely retool a couple of guys after your first dungeon run?

Without Guild upgrades, unlocking a skill entirely costs 1000 gold, so you're looking at dropping a couple thousand on people with few/any of your preferred skills unlocked. Still should be attainable, especially if you sell off your first few garbage trinkets. (Even though it looks like they lowered the sell price on those, which absolutely needed to happen.)

Mostly I look at starting traits in my recruits more than I look at unlocked skills.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sometimes you can get a good trait syphilis from books.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I had a plague doctor a bit ago (before I restarted with the newest update) with, I think, the Curious trait. Who after the third time of diving headfirst into a rotting carcass and getting a new disease (all in the same mission, mind) I can only assume was performing human clinical trials and using herself as an incubator. Which is better than using the other party members as incubators, I guess.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just found a journal entry while wandering around in the Weald. I had no idea these were a thing. Are they new?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Challenge of the month: Play with only Jesters

I tried this.

Here's how it went.

Total number of fights: 1. (Granted, it was the Shambler.)

I'm totally going to try again next time I have 4 jesters available, though. I WILL MAKE THIS WORK (and then complain to the thread when it doesn't work).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So I did something incredibly stupid last night, and I feel I must make it known so that no one follows my example.

Going through the Weald, just about done with the dungeon, and I get a scouting event that, I thought, revealed the last room battle. So I go up, fight that, ditch extraneous supplies like torches and such to pick up loot and...wait, why isn't the mission over?

Oh, there's one more battle that I missed. Eh, even if my torches run out, how bad can it be?

Oh, it's four of those rear end in a top hat dogs. In pitch darkness. Eh, my party's still in decent shape. I can take 'em.

...yeah, about that.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think the biggest "problem" with the Leper is that, while he's good in a specific niche (kicking the hell out of whatever's in the front two rows), he's not noticeably better at it than any other class, and the other major front-line high-damage classes (Hellion, Abomination in particular) bring some extra versatility to the table. Honestly, give the Leper a rank 3 or 4 move forward ability (maybe tack Forward 1 onto Purge or something) and he'd be great.

Lepers are fine, there's just usually a better choice. This isn't really a game where you need (or have the opportunity to) make every choice an optimal one, though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

:devil: Go on, restart. You know you want to. :devil:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

That's right, Mr. fish guardian dude, put Barnacle Barrier up on the Madman. That was really helpful, thanks.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

You'd think your ghost ancestor with his encyclopedic knowledge of spooky poisons and stuff could chime in but no he's just here to make off-the-wall comments about trapmakers.

I think that our ghost ancestor is loving with us as much as he is rooting for us, frankly.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The vomit pigs are bad. I do not like the vomit pigs.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just had a pretty good run (Highwayman, Grave Robber, Vestal, Plague Doctor) vs the (Level 1) Prophet. Went into the fight basically stress free and at full health (though that's to be expected, even with the Collector fight we ran into, they were all level 2 and fully upgraded).

Vestal nearly bought it to some falling rocks and being stunlocked for almost the entire fight, but the plague doctor's blight bombs pretty much single-handedly won the day, along with the odd lunge and duelist's advance. I did break one of his pews, but I wanted to keep him in the back (for blight purposes) so only the one.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The thing about stuff like starvation, or being caught at a barrier without a shovel (because you're in the Weald and you've gone through all six of your shovels already because gently caress you) is that it's not even really that damaging. Maybe it is in higher level dungeons, but during my runs it's always just been a couple of health, and a bit of stress. Which, sure, if you're already running on empty can be catastrophic.

And yet it feels like such a horrible setback.

e. Only one hallway fight between me and the last fight of my first Veteran-level dungeon, and my party's in pretty good shape. How bad could it-

Oh. Hello Mr. Collector.

(And that's how I found out that the Man-At-Arms' canon name is apparently "Barristan".)

docbeard fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 1, 2016

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

The Weald is distilled spite.

Animosity clarified in a single region.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I always just assume he's shouting THIS GAME IS TOO drat HARD RED HOOK REALLY hosed UP WITH THAT CORPSE THING STUPID RNG BULLSHIT I'M GONNA RESTART.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

I'd take cove over weald any day.

While true, this is not the most ringing endorsement you could have made. Though yeah, I mostly don't mind the cove, though those spearfishing bastards can go straight to hell a particular hell where I will not have to visit them later.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Man, one room, one room before I am about to fight the Siren, and the Collector shows up and head-murders my Occultist.

Ah well, the loot I had before I ran screaming into the night was pretty good at least.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I haven't really found a favorite party composition yet (I mostly throw whoever's available in a given level and least stressed out together) but I'm finding that Leper + MaA + Vestal + PD is working quite nicely for mopping up lingering Apprentice stuff. Getting surprised sucks, but being able to stunlock pretty much any group of enemies til the Leper can get back into position more or less mitigates that, and the Man at Arms' speed and accuracy buffs complement the Leper very nicely.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

And with the Drowned Crew done with, that's all the Apprentice bosses. Vestal - Man-At-Arms - Grave Robber - Bounty Hunter (though if I'd had my druthers, I'd have brought an Occultist instead of the Vestal, but you go to war with the army you've got).

Boss fights are, as it turns out, incredibly easy when everyone dodges pretty much every attack. Not a sustainable strategy, but I'll take it for now.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Node posted:

Well, gently caress. All my frontline/tank characters are resolve level 5 now. And I have one veteran level boss remaining, the sunken crew. Will a Bounty Hunter in rank 1 and a Grave Robber in rank 2 be okay for that fight or do I need to groom a new tank from scratch? I don't have any trinkets that can give them dodge, protection, or hp, which would be very nice right now!

That's exactly what I just did for the Apprentice crew, though Veteran will naturally be more difficult. Those are actually two very good choices, though, since they'll remain effective almost anywhere in your lineup, and your party will get shuffled at some point during the fight. Both can do absolutely ludicrous amounts of damage, especially if you have a Mark person (who can be your Bounty Hunter too) along.

What are you looking at for the rest of your party?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

People only refuse to return if you beat a given mission, not if you flee, right?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thuryl posted:

TGambling can cause you to lose a trinket too, although you can also gain one. The Abbey's stress relief options are generally less likely to gently caress you over: the worst they can do is give you quirks.

The Abbey options can also cause your characters to gently caress off for weeks at a time (though the Tavern can do that too). Still better than losing a trinket.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My Man-At-Arms got drunk and misplaced Barristan's Head. I feel like there's something poetic about that.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Overconfidence etc. etc., or Just How Bad Could The Veteran Shambler Be?

Bad

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

I'm sure someone has posted this before, but Jester/Abomination/Abomination/Bounty Hunter is one of the most :black101: parties I've ever run. Nobody on the enemy side gets a turn and everyone ends the fight happier than they started.

Right now my absolute favorite combo is Plague Doctor/Occultist/Grave Robber/Bounty Hunter for pretty much the same reason.

So many crits. So many.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Miron so fat he oh shi

Miron, ah, has a giant tree branch and does not care for our jokes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Honestly, "lots of bleed" doesn't tell me "bring bandages", it tells me "bring a Plague Doctor".

Granted, "it's a dungeon in the game Darkest Dungeon" tells me "bring a Plague Doctor".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

I should be, but Im not.

What teams have you guys created that features a whole lotta moving skills. Nothing NG+ DD viable, but something that could be a fun Apprentice or Veteran level fun. I tried tinkering with a Occult / Double Jester / Abom, but I just cant find a thing that works well.

I feel like a MaA paired with a Grave Robber would be an ok pair for the front line. MaA stun moves one forward, GR stun moves one back and buffs dodge, then GR Lunge for damage. But I just dont know where the other peices fit. Also cant make a Jester work for the life of me.

What I find more valuable is having one, maybe two characters with move skills (GR is queen here), and make sure the rest have a skill assortment that doesn't really care where they are. GR-Bounty Hunter is a solid combo that will go with just about anything else because the GR can float around the party and can attack effectively from anywhere (though setting up lunges is ideal), and the bounty hunter can attack from 3/4 ranks and stun from all 4. Plus with all the crits you're probably not going to have to worry about stress that much.

Highwayman with PBS and Duelist's Advance is a little more fiddly but works well. Occultist is your healer of choice for this group, but Vestal can work well too. MaA makes a very good fourth choice, especially if you've already buffed dodge with trinkets. Plague Doctor too, with the right skill picks, though she's a bit more vulnerable to effectively wasting a turn from being out of place. (I find her ability to keep an enemy group locked down with stuns 2-3 turns in a row with trinkets more than makes up for this liability.)

Though I'm so trying 4 GR next chance I get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Even if you prefer to hang back and lob daggers rather than lunge every chance you get (which is an absolutely valid choice with a GR), shadow fade comes with a ridiculous dodge buff that makes it very worthwhile as an opener.