Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

what's a worse random mob encounter -- four spearfishing dudes, or four rabid dogs?

Because the spearfishing dudes hit hard and fast but the dogs at higher levels are all DODGE DODGE DODGE DODGE

the actual answer is a swinetaur, a drummer and a reaver, because that's what you've got in the last room of the dungeon that you have to clear out when you've already got one guy afflicted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I tried starting a new game to test out the "use no torches for low level dungeons and lock in desireable traits early while they're cheap" tactic, and twice over now I've had Dismas killed during the tutorial due to a chain of crits. (I don't even reduce the torch during the tutorial)
I feel this is a sign of things to come

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Probably, but the tutorial's kinda weighted against you even now when things are 'easier', so it's better to reserve judgement.

I'm left with the feeling/suspicion they're going to spread heals around. To Witches and Drummers and such. I have no basis for this.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 25, 2016

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Please do not misgender my wife, the Plague Doctor

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Please do not misgender my wife, the Plague Doctor

nothin like comin home after work, putting your feet up, and getting a ambushed with a needle full of yersinia pestis while the old lady shouts something about how she wants to try a new treatment regimen and needs a live subject

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So if you lose in the darkest dungeon and then bring a level 0 babby with the ancestor's portrait along on a long champion level dungeon he gets 40 xp and shoots straight to level 5. You should probably bring a Crusader and a Vestal along with your babby so you can camp early and use all their stress cures and stress resistance buffs on him though, because he's going to start with a huge pile of stress just for being there.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Serpentis posted:

Fun fact I learned the hard way yesterday: The Hag's "grab a hero for the pot" free action is guaranteed to go first no matter what the relative Speeds are. Well, guess what happens if, after a hero gets spat out of the pot on Death's Door, and then she crits your entire party with the meat mallet as the last action in the round, so that all the survivors are on Death's Door as the round refreshes?

Yep. She still gets a guaranteed first turn, not to grab a hero (as she can't grab them on death's door), but with her mallet. Which felt like critting again.

Wipe ensues.

Motherfucking Hag. gently caress. loving gently caress.

You actually can go faster than Into The Pot! With a combination of Marching Plan, The Quickening, and a Berserk Charm, everyone except my Arbalest went before the Hag put anyone into the pot at least on Veteran. And I didn't even intend to go before it so it might be easier than you think.

Not sure if it's true about All Hands on Deck! or Reinforcements! too but you probably don't want to go before those activate anyway.

Rascyc posted:

Really? What's the point of the dumb "void zone" then? I thought I tried to retreat half way through the fight and the icon was grayed out but now I don't remember.

Lame, I could have avoided that wipe then. TMYK

I think the "void zone" is merely a justification to be fighting that thing in complete Dark. Dark itself might make retreating even harder but I don't know for sure. Though it definitely counteracts super powerful and safe teams that have +DMG and +ACC in the light so I really like that about the Shambler.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i just tuned into this guy http://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage. first thing that happens is he forgets to bring torches and wipes because he got trapped fighting the shambler

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I retreated from the first Shambler I fought without any trouble although for all I know that was lucky. I relit the torch but then I ran into it again in the hallway because I didn't realize it stayed in that position (I figured since it was "in the void" it was not physically on the map).

So I retreated again and just abandoned the quest.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

paranoid randroid posted:

nothin like comin home after work, putting your feet up, and getting a ambushed with a needle full of yersinia pestis while the old lady shouts something about how she wants to try a new treatment regimen and needs a live subject

another lazy sunday, slumped on the sofa pumped full of laudanum and feeding the leeches

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Chomp8645 posted:

I retreated from the first Shambler I fought without any trouble although for all I know that was lucky. I relit the torch but then I ran into it again in the hallway because I didn't realize it stayed in that position (I figured since it was "in the void" it was not physically on the map).

So I retreated again and just abandoned the quest.

Fun thing about the Shambler I at least read on the wiki:

If you run away from it, it will always be your next battle encounter no matter where you go. It doesn't go away until it dies. So if you can't kill it, you may as well abandon your quest or summon it only after you've completed the quest and continued adventuring.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Can you rename R&D and still get the achievement? Dismas really feels like an "Eddie" to me

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bogart posted:

We should probably put this in the OP.

Done.

God drat this thread is moving fast now that the game's out, I can barely keep up!

If anybody wants to write a new tutorial for new players just post it and I'll add it to the OP.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

If anybody wants to write a new tutorial for new players just post it and I'll add it to the OP.

1) read House on the Borderlands
2) get all squamous on cheap laudanum
3) turn down the lights and put on some easy listening music, like say, The Disintegration Loops
4) remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer
5) dehumanize yourself
6) face to bloodshed

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zaphod42 posted:

Done.

God drat this thread is moving fast now that the game's out, I can barely keep up!

1) Sink all of your money into upgrading your Lepers and Jesters

2) Always put a torch in a shambler's altar

3) If it first you don't succeed, write a post about it

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
if you fail, its the games fault, if you succeed its due to your able command

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Well, there's uses for jesters in NG+. I cheated after beating it and now certain darkest dungeon enemies proc 55+ stress per attack as well as bleed. I'm not really sure it's possible unless everyone stacks virtue items and then just hopes for a good gamble. Also that mechanic of people not wanting to go in twice sounds neat from a story standpoint but holy poo poo is it annoying for gameplay.

Game is hard enough as it is.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading all you dudes bitching about the Jester. He's a perfect fit for a certain type of party, namely "a party with an Abomination," and "a party with 3 other movement-based heroes." Shuffleparty is one of my preferred boss-kill parties for any boss that fills ranks with garbage and can only be attacked in position 4.

Jesterwords-
Solo is amazing. A chance to afflict 4 enemies with a gigantic accuracy debuff, as well as a full party step backwards? YES PLEASE. And the debuff (which can be made very reliable via trinkets) stacks with itself, so Solo away! Giving the entire enemy posse -60 accuracy or whatever is incredibly helpful for recovering from situations where you can't immediately attack them to death. For example- stacked barnacle barriers, recovering from lots of stuns/marks on your guys, that kind of poo poo.

Finale is great for the opposite reason Solo is. High damage, another full party move (forward), puts him exactly where you need him to finish out the round. Stress Heals (for your Abom) or more soloing,

Stress heal is great if your party needs it or is built around it. The Abom is the obvious choice, but there are certain camp buffs that give stress to allies with corresponding benefits and it would enable that as well.

Dirk Lunge is my usual 4th ability, for times when you just want more damage.

Preferred party: Jester, Grave Robber, Highwayman, [filler]. Everyone takes their positional-required or movement skills. That means lunge abilities for the Jester, GR, and Highwayman and the front-rank bugout abilities (Finale, Point Blank Shot). Then ranged/generic attacks for times when you're generally ok with positioning and just need to pump damage.

For the filler spot I'll take anybody that isn't position-locked (that means no Arbalest, no pos4 biased Occultist/Vestal/Plague Doctors and ESPECIALLY no Leper). Crusaders are niche cases with the HUGE caveat that you have to be very careful with Holy Lance nowadays, since if he's in pos 3 or 4, and there's no enemies in pos 3 or 4, he's poo poo out of luck and wastes a turn. I don't like needing to be careful with the shuffleparty so I usually leave him at home.

My current favorite is Big Hound, because he can target whistle from any location, use his massive bleeds from the rear, or chuck a big fat stun if he's in the front. This party config struggles against targets with high Prot, so his mark is the best option. The highwayman and houndmaster can both capitalize on a target mark with their various pos 4 target attacks as well, which adds to the whole boss synergy.

Run max food, liberal use of camp skills for HP restoration.

The tide can quickly turn but since the positional attacks tend to have very high base damage/crit, it's not uncommon to really quickly annihilate rank 3/4 and then just grind out the first two spots and use the various stress heals and so forth.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
I use Jester for his top tier sounds and animations. Finale is amazing whether you hit or miss, the forward stab lets you JINGLE THE BELLS, and his dodge/flinch looks like he's dancing. What a cool guy, I'd definitely have a few beers with him, maybe gamble away some trinkets

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

frest posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading all you dudes bitching about the Jester. He's a perfect fit for a certain type of party, namely "one that dies a lot"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

frest posted:

Solo is amazing. A chance to afflict 4 enemies with a gigantic accuracy debuff, as well as a full party step backwards? YES PLEASE. And the debuff (which can be made very reliable via trinkets) stacks with itself, so Solo away! Giving the entire enemy posse -60 accuracy or whatever is incredibly helpful for recovering from situations where you can't immediately attack them to death. For example- stacked barnacle barriers, recovering from lots of stuns/marks on your guys, that kind of poo poo.

The problem is that situations where you can't immediately attack enemies to death are very rare, and situations where you can't stun enemies and then attack them to death are even rarer. DD's combat is designed to be rocket tag and an unreliable stall move, even one that looks really powerful, just isn't going to be a good idea most of the time.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Gabriel Pope posted:

The problem is that situations where you can't immediately attack enemies to death are very rare, and situations where you can't stun enemies and then attack them to death are even rarer. DD's combat is designed to be rocket tag and an unreliable stall move, even one that looks really powerful, just isn't going to be a good idea most of the time.

Sure, which is why you just Dirk Stab the back ranks or Stress Relief while your Abomination rips people apart at an ordinarily non-sustainable price in added stress.

He's a flexible character that has extremely strong corner-case application and doesn't give one solitary gently caress about being surprised or shuffled.

The best case scenario is to attack for as much damage as possible as quickly as possible. Therefore Lunge attacks are a premium option (and are pretty flexible in targeting too). There will always be circumstances where that's not possible- your damage dealers got stunned and so forth.

frest fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 25, 2016

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Yeah pretty much. Debuffs sound neat but usually you just want to damage the baddies down asap since you're messing with RNG lucky crits as well as stalling. It sounds good for bosses but often whatever their gimmick attack is, will usually go first as well as hit almost 100%. Jester would probably be good for Siren I guess? She's not really that hard if you just bring two characters with stun though.

You'd probably do fine using Jester but it's like the Leper argument. Why monkey around getting his ACC up when you can just bring a Hellion or Crusader and just make them even more powerful since they're great. 2 Hellions and a Graverobber with whoever in the rear makes most runs cakewake in comparison. The Abomination combo is neat but it's kind of gimmicky when you can just get solid reliable damage with good support with the other cast.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Buckwheat Sings posted:

2 Hellions and a Graverobber with whoever in the rear makes most runs cakewake in comparison. The Abomination combo is neat but it's kind of gimmicky when you can just get solid reliable damage with good support with the other cast.
The game isn't about only adventuring with completely optimal parties, however. You're going to get Jester-specific trinkets, you're going to have circumstances where he'd be at least as effective as other heroes. I think him having at least two really optimal parties (lunge attacks and abomination use) is a good case for him not being total poo poo. There are definitely bosses and encounters where Stress is more dangerous than HP loss.

My favorite party is the bounty hunter/arbalest/houndmaster loving markapalooza PAINTRAIN because those are the parties where I will routinely see 40+ crits over and over, but unfortunately the coach and the RNG doesn't always give me those guys. I feel like the Leper is probably the class with the narrowest role and worst skills, but he still hits like a loving truck and has amazing sustain- it's just that sustain almost always worse than just killing poo poo.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Out of my 25 man roster i have 0 jesters and i feel like that is just fine. I can't think of a spot where i honestly really cared about his deal. Most bosses have a exploitable way to murder their rear end and the jester just doesn't fit into any of them any better than another character. Just like the dumb leper and his 20 bajillion self only buffs that he has for some reason. Actually I take that back, the leper's intimidate ability would be situationally useful on high prot boss fights, like maybe flesh beast, or to help debuff swine prince's damage. I'm willing to take a.... stab at using him again though, so maybe i'll replace someone with a jester.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

leper detected

frest posted:

Give jesters a chance.

Give it up. They will never embrace the utility of Jesters. Just like modern times. Oh, merry, motley men of jingling japes, oh brightly garbed and twirling, licensed fools, where hath thou gone. :negative:

Although... perhaps there's hope yet.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Yeah pretty much. Debuffs sound neat but usually you just want to damage the baddies down asap since you're messing with RNG lucky crits as well as stalling. It sounds good for bosses but often whatever their gimmick attack is, will usually go first as well as hit almost 100%. Jester would probably be good for Siren I guess? She's not really that hard if you just bring two characters with stun though.

Wait, if I understand that correctly, do people not use buffs and debuffs, outside of boss battles?

frest
Sep 17, 2004

e X posted:

Wait, if I understand that correctly, do people not use buffs and debuffs, outside of boss battles?
The longer a fight goes, the better the odds of an enemy crit. The faster you kill high stress/stun enemies, the better. Stuns have special utility because they deny enemy actions and typically have some added utility (modest damage, shuffle/corpse removal).

Debuffs can be really effective. However, are they MORE effective than just attacking? That depends. A houndsmaster mark that removes triples the party damage on a giant crab or whatever is absolutely better than just sending the hound out again. It's situational.

Against most generic hallway fights with 2-3 random scrubs, you're probably better off just attacking and stunning.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Scribbleykins posted:

I'm the double dipsomania, dudes are driven to the bottle.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

frest posted:

The game isn't about only adventuring with completely optimal parties, however. You're going to get Jester-specific trinkets, you're going to have circumstances where he'd be at least as effective as other heroes. I think him having at least two really optimal parties (lunge attacks and abomination use) is a good case for him not being total poo poo. There are definitely bosses and encounters where Stress is more dangerous than HP loss.

He's not total poo poo. The statement "you're going to have circumstances where he'd be at least as effective as other heroes" pretty much sums him up. He's not really going to be better than other heroes (even in abomination parties I'd just as soon take a houndmaster, and if I'm playing a shuffle party I'd just as soon take a second graverobber), but in the right circumstances he can do... okay. I'd rather use a jester occasionally than not, just for sheer variety's sake, but I'm not going to argue that it's mechanically advantageous to do so.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Scribbleykins posted:

leper detected

actually that's what's under the plague doctor's mask

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

e X posted:

I'd rather stun or kill them than reduce their damage by 10% or accuracy by the same. The net change in what happens is very small with those compared to not letting them have a turn at all.

Debuffs are very useful and have a big impact when they actually matter (Say, on a boss) but not so much in hall fights.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

actually that's what's under the plague doctor's mask

My favorite thing about the Plague doctor is one of her campskills is named The Cure and it can only be used on herself.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

e X posted:

I use Weakening Curse sometimes on Swinetaurs because the Occultist is a dumb no-rank-3-stun-having bitch with nothing better to do and I wish I could hate him to death

otherwise no, time is better spent damaging/stunning

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well, the level 5 necromancer was a bit nastier than his predecessors, what with him summoning Bone Generals and all. Any other level 5 bosses I should be aware of?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Broken Cog posted:

Well, the level 5 necromancer was a bit nastier than his predecessors, what with him summoning Bone Generals and all. Any other level 5 bosses I should be aware of?

Wilbur stuns your guys even while the Swine God is still alive.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Level 5 Formless Flesh is complete bullshit and has insane damage output, criting on a regular basis. Took me three tries to beat it. First two I didn't lose anyone but only because I abandoned in time. Third I killed it but on the second to last turn my Houndsmaster got crit for 40, inflicted with bleed, and took the death blow from it. He was supposed to be on my darkest dungeon team so I am not very happy right now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scribbleykins posted:

Give it up. They will never embrace the utility of Jesters. Just like modern times. Oh, merry, motley men of jingling japes, oh brightly garbed and twirling, licensed fools, where hath thou gone. :negative:

Challenge of the month: Play with only Jesters

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Champion Siren's mind control has a higher chance of success than the others. Stick with hero classes with higher debuff resist (Abomination is low on this) and bring tons of holy water--I'm talking at least 8 bottles--to the fight. She can be a very easy boss, but not when she swipes your lead damage-dealer.