Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

lmao

i had one (1) combat on the way to the siren and we went in at full health and no stress, so naturally the first thing she does is grab my holy-water-buffed bounty hunter and crit about 40hp off my crusader

this isn't even overconfidence, it's just cruel

*snort*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How does dodge work in this game? Is it literally just accuracy - dodge = percent chance to be hit?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Miron so fat he goes to church and takes up all nine slots

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Miron so fat when you camp and click feast everyone else still goes hungry

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

abardam posted:

you guys are mean :saddowns:

i get hungry when i'm stressed!

That's amazing :vince:

Miron so fat he sprinkle parsley on the warren food troughs instead of medicinal herbs

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Zombie Samurai posted:

Miron so fat the goblet skeletons ran out of wine

Miron so fat getting hit by tempting goblet destresses him

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Would play Darkest Dancer

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Only two bosses left to tackle before the Darkest Dungeon.

Time for the rematch with the Brigand 16 Pounder.

Take Miron

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Sephyr posted:

What are the best strategies for red Cove runs? Those drat fishmen crit me like mad from all positions, resist bleeds and have several high-prot monsters. Not to mention when their tanks guard the exploding thralls...ugh.

And yup, I've kitted out a pair of Grave Robbers and they proved to be very versatile and fun. Now the Crusader is the odd duck sitting out. Low damage output even in Ruins, where his anti-unholy attack should shine, no backline reach or ability to harm hig PROT enemies.

One of the loading tooltips notes that the tough scales of the pelagic creatures afford them protection from inordinate exsanguination

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

This is how the ancestor fell into the depths of madness

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

You should tell the devs to put in an achievement for that just to have chievo-hunters crying.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I think it's okay for a studio to move on from a game and I look forward to the announcement of Red Hook's new game Darkest Dungeon 2: Dark Harder

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I'll be real I would play the poo poo out of Darkest Dungeon 2 themed after Japanese youkai

Or Darkest Dungeon 2: Terror From the Deep

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I'm heading into Champion level dungeons now (over half my roster is level 5 and the what's left is pretty much one run each away from hitting that threshold) and I'm scared, I don't have the money to upgrade people. What's the advice on this again? Armor > Skills > Weapons?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Something something overconfidence

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I'm making baby steps into the champion dungeons and holy gently caress the dodge on these motherfuckers.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Huh, I just got the Ancestor's moustache cream from a random battle in a champion dungeon. Didn't know that was a thing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I knew the cream was a thing, I just didn't know ancestral trinkets could drop from normal battles instead of being champion long quest rewards only.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Node posted:

Well, except for when a Stress debuff crits for two damage and he freaks out about it.

PALPABLE FEAR.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

What camping skills do you guys prioritize? Personally I really like scouting ones and the stuff that gives party wide buffs (like MaA's stuff) instead of more powerful but single target only buffs. That said Leper's accuracy buff is awesome and I always use that one if I have a Leper on the team.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Grave Robber Grave Robber Grave Robber Grave Robber, lunge all the fools

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Hoop de doop doo, let's just mosey on down the first hallway, oh here's a bag, lemme just see what's insi-

:stare: Okay

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Node posted:

The Vestal uses a book, the Occultist uses a skull, how is this an argument

It's his master's skull at that

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Fairly deep into Champion dungeons now, just killed my first champ boss (Swine God) but man, "Death waits for the slightest lapse in concentration" isn't a joke when it comes to level 5. One time I had my 0 stress vestal go paranoid in one turn (madman accused her, then a stressful incantation crit followed by the front two guys critting other dudes and the stress spilled over from witnessing those) in the first fight of the dungeon.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Crasical posted:

In her defense I'd get pretty paranoid too if I had my team eat three crits in one turn.

SOMEONE HAS BEEN TRAINING THEM

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I'm pretty deep into Champion dungeons now but it was definitely touch and go for a while. Attempting Champion level dungeons with heroes who haven't had their final tier of upgrades (at least one of skills/weapons/armor) is asking for disaster. Only attempt short dungeons until you get a foothold with some decently upgraded characters.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Going to a new, non ng+ file after being deep in Champion dungeons for a while, the early game is so easy holy poo poo. Meanwhile the sheer numbers in the Champion dungeons make it so that you can never make them completely safe and known.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Bloodly posted:

You know, now that I bother to think about it(And this is coloured by probably not knowing all the facts)...What WAS the Ancestor planning? I mean, yes, finally unearthing the stuff underneath the manor caused madness and chaos and such, but what was he planning, so terrible that it immediately made a man tear his eyes out? He goes on and on about his 'ambitions' but they seem vague.

So he's learning summoning and necromancy. He tosses his failures(The Flesh). but he apparently gets many successes(Pigmen). Which he apparently turns loose? And there's enough of them that they're entrenched in the general area? It's not like he was using them for a private army or anything. Then you look at the Warrens and realise in the backgrounds there's metalworking stuff and the like. Are they summoning more of themselves in?

The Bandits he hired haven't exactly had much to prey on but they're still here with their cannon?

Where are all the cultists coming from?

The Hag and the Weald is about the only thing that ISN'T his fault. It's almost completely unrelated to everything else.

I feel I'm being dumb somehow(Not unusual with me).

The ancestor was bored as gently caress, so everything he's doing is boredom and obsession. If the darkest dungeon and the thing inside it had been mundane instead of sanity rending he probably would have moved on to something else even more taboo and terrible.

The pigmen were also failures. I don't think he made a ton so much as they started breeding (one of the ancestor's lines on entering a Warrens dungeon is "They breed quickly, down there in the dark.").

The Bandits are preying on the town and the surrounding areas.

Cultists are probably attracted to the Darkest Dungeon due to eldritch whisperings or whatever.

The Hag is partially the ancestor's fault since he worked with her for a while and made her worse.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

If she decides to spam Taste the Stew there's practically nothing you can do

Stop bringing Miron to the hag fight so the stew don't taste so good

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Uhh, it reads to me like "she used to be a cultist but then she had a change of heart right before a human sacrifice and she shanked the gently caress out of the head cultist guy"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

i thought she showed up, shanked the cultist, then the woman thought she was being rescued but actually the antiquarian just wanted to do the ritual herself so as to get all the ~Forbidden Knowledge~ while yelling PSYCHE and HOW QUICKLY THE TIDE TURNS

On second thought I think it might be this. Thing that bugs me is that that would be better shown by her not being in the first panel to imply that she shows up halfway through instead of having been there from the beginning.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I thought he was trying to save some greenhorn kid and keep him alive through a battle, but then he found out the kid had died or something.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

quote:

Fix for Fungal Giant’s Confusion Spore skill chance

Can anyone go file digging and tell us what this means?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

They can't as only fish have eyes in this game

The googly rear end eyes photoshops for this game were really good

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Shroud posted:

My OCD stress level is rising because of this post.

For all intensive purposes there's nothing wrong with that post

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, the difficulty curve in this game is kinda jagged. I think part of the problem is that Apprentice teaches you bad habits about party composition and strategy, and it takes a long tome to fully break them.

I don't think it's the game teaching you bad habits. If you play optimally like you would in later dungeons, you will do even better in the early ones than you would just moseying along with any old comp. The game teaching you bad habits would be like if optimal endgame strats didn't work well in the early game.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, I guess that's true. It does lull you into a false state of security though.

Well y'know what they say about overconfidence!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Miron so fat when the Hag puts him in the pot, next turn there's no more stew to taste

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

They stopped being funny long before the first round finished guys, all the good ones have been done already.

Miron so fat he made you into just copper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Wait, Leper has something that can hit the 3rd/4th row?