Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Just chiming in to say this is a lot of fun. The sanity mechanic is interesting, but drat can it spiral out of hand super quick. Lost an entire team because the Cultist lost it really early, and wouldn't do anything but pass and drop everyone else sanity in the next fight, costing me everyone. So, yeah, but still, really digging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

clockworkjoe posted:

You can recover from going broke by being a total bastard with new recruits - send them into dungeons, get some gold and then abandon quest. If they take too much stress, dismiss them and get more new recruits. There's no time limit to the game so far, so why not?

Keep torches fully light as much as possible just to avoid stress damage. That poo poo adds up.

Honestly, this is more or less how I've been running things to make money. My hardest choices seem to be running that extra room for enough gold to heal folks or calling it quits while i'm ahead. Also, gently caress selfish as an affliction. Honestly, i've lost pretty close to 9 dudes because someone pops selfish and spends all their turns passing or trading places. Still, good lord does it feel good when things are humming along.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Which is better to upgrade first; armor or weapons? I only have enough deeds to do one right now.

Just personal preference, but the armor is nice just for that extra bit of health and dodge. I've had bad luck trying to stun lock, and clutch dodges have kept people running well past common sense.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Shlapintogan posted:

So apparently those bandit Fusiliers have had their damage dropped. Hopefully this means bandits won't blend adventurers to pieces anymore.

Thank god, they were pretty gnarly.

Out of curiosity, has anyone found a real use for the Jester or the Graverobber? I keep trying to use them but they haven't really shined like the other classes, which is a shame because i rather like them. I've tried abusing their position shifting with the Crusader's Holy Lance, but that's kinda all I can come up with. Other than that, Jester seems like a jack-of-all trades that doesn't really make an impact, and the Graverobber is a weaker Highwayman w/Blight.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

No no no, don't burn the books. Burn the piles of parchments. Free disability removal, but they're quite rare.

I don't know that, I've been reading the parchments for the maps and free scouting from them. Out of curiosity, has anyone else noticed that occasionally you can't find a trap to disarm despite it having been scouted on the map? I'm not sure whether to call it a bug or just another stress inducing aspect.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

I've only ever gotten bad events from reading books and interacting with most things. Altars are an exception and will often give you stuff like a 20% damage buff, but piles of books or occult scrawlings I leave the gently caress alone.

I'd agree that the books/bookshelves are universally bad, but i've picked up Hatred for Humanity twice off the occult scrawlings in the Warrens which in my mind balances out the sanity cost.

Eonwe posted:

so every stream I've watched, they walk into two rooms and are at 100 stress

how are you supposed to get through these dungeons below 100 stress?

If they're going in already stressed they're pretty much screwing themselves. Also, they may not be bringing shovels, hand digging through rubble is around 20 stress and some torchlight, which is all bad news.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Acquire Currency! posted:

How long does it take for their stress to wear off in their recovery spots I've been waiting for a while.

Depends on how upgraded your spots are. You should be prioritizing getting one (I like meditation, but drinking is also cheap) pretty much maxed as soon as possible. Un-upgraded, most of the places only heal for 30-40 stress, but getting them maxed will heal for 70+, and if you have one of the beneficial quirks for it (mediatator and nymphomaniac for example) you can clear stress in one shot. But like Demiurge said, these first runs are all a lesson in how much the game wants you dead. An abandon isn't a loss, it a draw.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
I think as far as the PD goes, she has a great concept and identity, but no real functionality beyond backrow stunna, all day erryday (although Emboldening is pretty nice too). If she had more than just dots on her active attacks, like if they stayed lowish damage but had an effect in addition to the dots, that may make her a lot more attractive to use. Give Noxious Blast and Plague Grenades a -def in addition, give Incision bonus damage vs Bleeding Targets, give Disorienting Blast a larger aoe, and buff Battlefield medicine to do something other than fail to cure half the time. I don't know, I'm just spit balling ideas, but she needs some real buffs to make her useful in a support roll, as right now there is no reason to take her at all once you've got an understanding of the basics.

Slaapaav posted:

the cure ability on PD does scale really well against super strong bleed and blight enemies though. So making stronger blight enemies would make her a lot stronger

I'm probably not in the minority here when I say its not that great. It still has a tendency to fail when you need it most, and all other actions that cure bleed/blight have some additional benefit.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
So, an I crazy or did we get a new build updating fights? I just noticed a few little UI changes, namely a purple turn counter and tracking for who's gone and who still has to go

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
I'd say each of the dungeons has a *must-bring* item for cash and benefits, with the Warrens being herbs, and the Weald being bandages, holy water in the Ruins, and possibly antivenom in the Cove when that gets released.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Really liking the update, its a lot of fun so far. If you run across any Shambler Shrines, give them a torch for a fun little mini-boss fight. New class-wise, both the Arbalest and the Man at Arms have been very good. Arbalest a nice debuff/attacker and pairs really well with the Bounty Hunter/occultist, or she's a decent healer. As a debuffer, they work really well, their backrow aoe gives a pretty solid accuracy penalty, and the bolas are pretty nice to shuffle stuff.

The Man at Arms is brokenly good right now, and prolly gonna get hit hard with the nerf bat.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Androc posted:

Never seen one of those, where was it? Does it only show up on dark runs?

It seems like its just a random object you can get. I got one running the Hag, which was a nice surprise. Honestly, though, it does straight up tell you *WARNING: BAD THING TO TOUCH* but, you know, greed and all that jazz.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Angry Diplomat posted:

Grave Robber, Jester, Highwayman, and Crusader. I don't think anyone else has movement+attack abilities but I might be forgetting someone.

e: oh, MAA. Still haven't got one of those :( Highwayman is rad though since he can both lunge in and use Point Blank Shot to jump back while hitting hard as hell.

Grave Robber's Lunge + Shadow Fade is a pretty good setup to work with, as well as one of the reasons I feel dark runs kinda got nerfed.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

:vince: God drat is that a lot of character we never see. I can understand why we don't get much of this, but man is that interesting stuff to find.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
So I haven't really played any since they released the MAA and the Arbalest, and I have to say I rather like some of the changes they've made. Houndmaster is fantastic and Grave Robber seems to have gotten solidly buffed (at least for tier one) which makes me rather happy, but it also feels like they nerfed the gently caress out of your chance at good Afflictions. I think I've had maybe one positive to the 15 or negatives.

Also, I don't remember the jump from lvl 1 to lvl 3 dungeons being so drat brutal, I think I ate a crit every round in the first two runs. Any good suggestions on handling the change to lvl 3?

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Welp, back to the grind then. :toot:

I don't think you need a full dark run get Shamblers, as on my current run I've had them in the first hallway when I went after the Hag. All in all, the four I've had all have been found on medium light (like 50ish) or higher, but I've left them twice to come back at low light once I've cleared the objective. Does anyone know if they give anything other than Ancestral trinkets? Because for the most part, the Ancestral trinkets kinda suck, outside of the +25% virtue one and the fact that they sell for 7500 gold.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Counterpoint: do the cove, because corals and dead fish carcasses are the best curios ever

On top of that, the music is loving top notch. It could really do with not just giving crests though, I'm already drowning in those from literally everywhere else.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Oh Jester, I want to like you. I really, really do. Heroic End is such a lovely looking skill, and your little lute plinks of merriment restore my sanity as much as the Abominations, but god drat it, you really are just so bad at the things. Like killing stuff, because as much as I pretend Harvest and Slice Off are good, you just can't seem to make them work for me. And so you die to a Ball and Chain. Or, like dodging hits from a party you've Solo'd, successfully, for three loving turns I might add. And so you die to a pair of fish spears. Or like, how I really try to keep you safe in those back rows, spamming Stress Heals and buffs galore to my stupid Hellions and Lepers who keep picking up slowdraw or just missing. But no, you eats blight from those drat mushrooms like a loving fat guy at a buffet, and die. Or you Griffiths, my glorious little bastard, my last ray of hope in the class, with your slugger, and tough, and hard-skinned. Always just hanging on to Death's Door like some sort of lamprey, sucking the very marrow out of life as you proc Virtues time after time. Only to get insta-gibed off of giant crits and a stupid dog with a wish to destroy the one Jester who'd decided that he'd had enough.

I swear to god, Jesters are the squishest, most suicidally prone characters in this loving game, and I love them for all their terribleness.

Alright, sorry all, had to get that off my chest, now back to party comps that aren't terrible.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
That feel when you crit a tempting goblet....

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm really enjoying the Musketeer re-skin.

Where do you enter the code for the Musketeer? I've been trying to input it everywhere I can think of, and for the life of me I still haven't figured it out.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Kly posted:

fill your roster and level everyone as evenly as you can. also *dont restart* thats a really dumb thing to do.

This is important, and something everyone doesn't get when they first start. Your Hamlet is your character, your dudes are just weapons/armor that you upgrade and replace throughout the adventure.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Hit fishman shrines with shovels.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

a shameful boehner posted:

The way to use Jester is Solo->Finale, repeat

I like using Jesters, but I still have trouble justifying Solo, as despite its rather nice debuff, a: things still hit me frequently, b: it puts him in a dangerous position in exchange for a bit more speed, and c: it isn't Battle Ballad or Inspiring Tune. If Solo gave him a big Dodge boost, or had a -Prot or -Speed on top of the -Acc, it might be worthwhile, but as it stands, Solo feels like too much risk for too little reward.

That said, Jester needs some buffs to pretty much everything that isn't Inspiring Tune or Battle Ballad (and maybe Harvest).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Yeah, not gonna lie, the Epic exclusivity really kills a bunch of my enthusiasm. I doubt I’m the only one too, and one of the strengths of DD was it had a lot of early access kickstarter/beta testers to work through the systems before release.