Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Tollymain posted:

oh my god this game looks fantastic and now i want it

Gonna get this first thing Tuesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Magitek posted:

This game is loving stressful. For the player, I mean.

Been watching streamers play this for a while. So much frustration, it's fantastic (to watch)

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm watching Brotatoe (what the hell?) playing right now and his stress level has gone up progressively since he wiped a party on the hag. He had so much gold too but failed like 6 retreat attempts. Poor guy kept hitting the pot. To be fair I only beat the hag because my highwayman got a 36 crit on the first shot.

Whats cool is that the devs show up in the chat occasionally and answer questions. Between this and That Which Sleeps I think this is going to be a good year :D

I've switched to a low view stream, he's doing pretty well, he's beaten all but the final incarnations of the bosses. I just needed a quieter stream that didn't over-hype/super-welcome new subs for a while

Can't wait to get this game though, holy poo poo

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah seriously. I love how small the health values are, so the game is constantly tense. A single critical hit from the enemy or a couple misses in the row by the party can mean a sudden huge shift in morale. Its extremely tense.

And once they go insane and fail resolve, the run is pretty much cut short. Soooo much stress damage from the talking, not to mention the bad combat (debuff/passing/selfhurting etc).

Can't wait to get my hands on it :)

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kinda sad the weapon/armor system works like that, and not randomized loot like in other roguelikes. But I guess balancing becomes a problem then

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Lotish posted:

What is the button for retreating a fight or leaving the dungeon? Because the first time I hosed up badly enough for the tutorial to try and tell me, I was too stressed to read it and just closed the screen to focus on the fight. I lost everyone.

There is a flag symbol on your minimap to retreat during combat (has to be your turn, have to have control)

Edit: can't retreat during tutorial, and to abandon quest when out of combat is top left

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

This Streamer Jan has almost completed the game, except Swine God and leveling all classes to 6. No Hype, just chill.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Normal Adult Human posted:

What party composition has low damage and low cc? Just like, 4 vestals?

jester in the back, just singing/buffing. vestal for healing. plague doctor for backup healing, curing bleeding/blight and shuffling positions. then take a pure buff melee like leper/crusader with just self buffs/heals/knockbacks.

You doing a challenge run?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

TheNabster posted:

Small question, what is DOD?

Illumination on the Vestal inflicts -20 DOD, but I am not entirely sure what that does.

DOD= dodge

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Apparently shift+click on a hero in roster removes him without a confirmation?

Jan beat all the bosses in EA, so now all that's left is grinding all classes to 6

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

So apparently after lv3/4 you have over 100% natural Death Blow resistance. Tested this with Jan in the stream and his Vestal with 107% resistance stayed at death's door forever.

Dev tweeted that it could be a bug and they are looking into it. Is anyone else actively playing this and has reached over 100% resistance? You gain +10% per level I think and you start at 67% iirc

I don't own the game, so I can't test it myself

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Megasabin posted:

How feature complete/how much replayability does this game have in its current state? Just reading the stories its incredibly tempting to pick it up on Tuesday, but I usually exhaust a game in 1 period of playing it, and rarely ever go back, so I may want to hold off until there is more content.

2 dungeons are still locked, 4 classes are not yet in EA (Houndmaster, Man-at-Arms, Merchant, Arbalest) with more being teased at. Those 4 will make it into EA at some point or another. EA is supposed to run for 6 months. That's just from what I could tell from their twitter replies

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think so. They need to add a little more information IMO, like you don't know (as far as I know) when hunger is suddenly going to kick in and require food. It'd be nice to have a building bar.

I mean, turn order is random. You have a speed stat which gives you a bonus, but it changes each round for each hero/enemy. But you could still show the order after it rolls each turn... but maybe not knowing is part of the challenge.

Hunger is supposed to be a random event, not some hidden bar that decreases. Although it's set to not go off for some time after entering a dungeon or camping.

The Initiative UI is something I can't understand not being ingame. It's really just a quality of life thing. Especially if you're bad at remembering who already went, who was stunned this turn or is going to recover from it the next turn instead, etc

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

maniacripper posted:

So there's no way to play this until the 3rd right? No vpn hacks, or ordering directly from a place because 30 minutes ago I never knew this game existed and now I really wanna play.

It's only available for backers and content creators atm. Early Access for everyone else isn't that far off though.

I really wish I backed this game :( I always decide not to back games. Hindsight...

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Can people give me some advice on how to mitigate stress damage? I've got people going bugfuck insane all the time, and I can't figure out how to mitigate the damage.

-stress damage traits/buffs/equipment, crits, kill them before they kill you (ikr...), if unable try stunning instead, get good at DOD

It gets easier once you get higher ranks from what I can tell. I should really stop watching streams of this, I'm going to spoil the game for me

odiv posted:

You could hang out in streams where they're doing key giveaways!

Or I guess you could make friends with someone who backed it and got an extra key or two for it.

That's the best I have, sorry.

Been watching streams all day, but I prefer to do the quiet/actual gameplay ones and not the super hype ones that advertise key giveaways in title

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Before I go and lose a party facing the swine prince, what tactics do you need for him? I don't want major spoilers, just don't want to repeat the situation with the hag where I went into it blind with a party full of short range melee damage.

If you have stun resist, use it.

Swine Royalty love their butler Wilburt.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing I haven't seen people mention: Buffs/Debuffs will stack with themselves. So if you use something that grants +20% protection twice, you'll have 40% protection rather than just refreshing the duration (I'm not sure if each stack is on a separate timer or if it gets globally refreshed with each application though). This property is one thing that makes the Jester's buffs/debuffs really effective, because they apply to everyone at once.

If it's anything like bleeding they are all on their own timer, as you can see bleed damage per turn go up if you stack it and then down once you stop

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Hey, whoever said to burn books? Thanks, I just got an event from that which gave my Leper 100 loving stress. Immediately after camping, where I used half of my actions to get his stress down to 0.

Through relentless abuse of stress-relief combat abilities (Bard's Inspirational Tune and Leper's shield-icon ability) I was able to get it back down to zero before I left the dungeon, but I had to make one fight go 10 rounds and another go 8 to do it.

What I'm saying is: Don't burn books.

But why else would the option be there! There must be something good involved.

Think Giant Alien Spiders in FTL! What could possibly go wrong?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

MotU posted:

I'm about 9 weeks into my new game and have not had anyone hit 100 Stress yet. They are either getting extremely unlucky, playing for the first time, or just plain bad.

My guess is they don't invest enough into stress relief because they keep pushing their "main party" to the limits. The game gives you enough lv1 missions for a reason

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

What is this beautiful thing

Swinetaur of course

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Mo_Steel posted:

Is there a way to tell the turn order in advance when a fight starts? Because that'd be really helpful, and I may be an idiot who missed it.

No and that is definetely a feature that I'd want in this, especially since turn order is different every round

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

Have they said how much this is going to cost on Steam yet? gently caress this game looks great...but I think I'm going to wait til full release.

$20 and probably 20 Eur for early access (which is 6 months with gradually more content being added)

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

S.J. posted:

It is the middle of the afternoon on a monday and there are over 16,000 people watching this game on Twitch right now holy poo poo.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

mysterious frankie posted:

Do they have any plans to port this to iOS? Seems like the perfect kind of game for a tablet.

It would be awesome if it did, but their website only confirms these: WIN/OSX/LINUX/PS4/PS VITA

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

What items effect what treasure?

Keys are for chests and cabinets but no strongboxes
Herbs effect tables, experiments, and food carts
Holy water works on ashes, shrines, confessionals, and altars
Torches burn parchment and books,
Shovels are for rubbles.

I still don't know what works with strongboxes or iron maidens (which seem to not only always be a negative effect but also do stress damage to claustrophobic people when you pass by)

Shovel works for graves as well, herbs for carcasses (?)

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Razakai posted:

I usually never buy early access, but this is tempting. How buggy/unpolished does the game feel currently? It looks great but I'm expecting there to be some major fuckups considering it's early access.

I've been watching streams playing it for days now. Seems pretty polished with just a few bugs. They are still tweaking gameplay things based on feedback. They still have 2 dungeons locked (1 of them being the namesake, i.e. the Darkest Dungeon), and 4 missing classes that will gradually be introduced during the 6 month Early Access time.

They also mentioned a NG+ mechanic, that is also not implemented yet. If it will make it during EA or not idk

This is 100% an EA purchase for me, and I'm usually cautious

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Camp on the third room and let your highwaymen clean their guns and you've won the dungeon.

Camping early for the buffs is a really really good strategy actually

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I don't know if this is true, but it seems like the Crusader class has a better chance of not cracking under stress. I've been really managing my stress so far so I haven't hit the limit too often, but twice now when I've gotten a Crusader to that point, he's rallied up and gotten a great buff out of it.

I wonder if that will be his class passive, would make sense in a way

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Have the devs said if they're flipping the switch at midnight or sometime in the afternoon tomorrow?

9am Pacific

Official tweet

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Waffle! posted:

Twice now I've had the game crash on me when I click on the wagon to look hire recruits. Right now all I can do is abandon missions with my lowbies before they get wiped.

Did you update the gamefiles? I thought they fixed that issue. New recruits wouldn't slide along correctly or something when you recruited them

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Also if anyone wants to hang out I'm streaming here if you're one of those few that aren't playing yet.

Still new to the streaming thing though, so apologies in advance

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm really happy to see the game hit peak hype on Twitch, sure it's just twitch flavor of the week but it'll really help get the game out there.

It had this many viewers on Monday too, just not as many streamers. Pretty crazy for such a game

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I keep making really stupid decisions and then lose a guy. I feel so stupid. I love this game.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Torches on scrolls written in an insane language gives you a buff. Bandages on boards with knives in them will protect you.

Also are the Houndmaster, and Albalest released yet?

Putting holy water on holy shrines will heal your stress for ~30 instead of giving positive traits or whatever they usually do

Houndmaster and Arbalest are not released yet, but are the most finished of the 4 that are coming during EA

I'm taking a bit of a break now. My run went smoothly without a hitch up to my first boss who just fell over basically. After that I'm not sure if I'm just being bad or what, but I just can't get a 2nd group going to cover any lv3 quests that are happening. I keep losing people :(

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Jackard posted:

How do you change the position of your hotbar abilities? I've noticed some characters have them out of order.

take them off in the character page, and the order at which you re-activate them is the order in your hotkey bar (this can be done anytime out of combat)

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Just lost a dude at the Hag, and in my panic I retreated with another one still in the cauldron. Welp... 2 more to the graveyard

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

I'm sure he tasted good

His name was Dizzysandwich. so yes

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

As far as I can tell it sometimes just removes the quirk at the top rather than the one you select. I think it's worked correctly at least a few times though.

...You can retreat while in combat?

when it's your turn, minimap top left is a red flag icon. not 100% success rate (not sure what it depends on)

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

MotU posted:

I did it with Occultist : Vestal : Hellion : Leper and trounced it pretty much. If It Bleeds was the star of the show honestly

Bleeding solves everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Even if they want to keep initiative secret, sometimes I just want to know which enemy already went, especially if it's like 4 dogs that charge and shuffle around, so I know who to focus on if I want to prevent more rabies chances