Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Speaking of traits, what are the rules of trait gains once you maxed them out already? Top trait gives way to newest trait on bottom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Apple2o posted:

Mission accomplished :kheldragar:

What a load of crap that stunlock is though.

*squeals*

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

FrickenMoron posted:

Is the eating loving random? I bring 12 food to a medium dungeon and they want to eat after every second or so room!

Edit: And they wanted to eat again 1 room after. Failed because of that poo poo.

Hunger is not a countdown, hunger is a random event that can happen anytime (except apparently straight after start and camping)

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Little pro-tip: If you are walking down a hallway, at the last "box" before you enter the door, if you enter it really early (earliest possible to press W or click) you won't gain an extra torch proc, which you would get walking right up to the door

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

The Insect Court posted:

One of the things that bugs me is the way that character progression seems like a very flat curve. Skill and weapon/armor changes seem to be relatively tiny, and the overall effect of quirks on most of my higher level characters seem to be negative. The big upside to higher reputation is lower stress damage, but that feels arbitrary and gamey. I was hoping for more skills, or new functionality to existing ones. Maybe even a rudimentary stat/skill point to have some control over how characters evolve.

Armor upgrades (HP + Dodge) are pretty good. Weapon upgrades (min-max dmg + crit + speed) are kind of underwhelming. Skills are great to upgrade for +Acc mostly, sadly the increases to buffs aren't.

And then you have weird outliers like Hellion's Yawp skill which jumps suddenly from 100% stun base to 200% stun base at r3 :psyduck: A gradual change was too hard to code, or...?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Funnypost Collabo posted:

So it seems that numbers in this game round up. If you find a way of getting +10% heal received through a quirk or a relic, your character gains 2 health from eating food. That's a massive out of combat healing buff, for anyone looking for some out of combat healing. From 75g per health to 38.

Your character gains 2 health per food because food healing is a % of your max HP. So it seems the +10% heal pushed it high enough to show 2 health?

Also your health is shown with 1 decimal place (i.e. 20.4/32.0 or something), which is why you sometimes see enemies surviving at 0HP (i.e. <0.5HP)

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Are you sure about this? He was gaining 2 full HP per food and healed to full after just a few food.

Yeah my leper has like 80+HP and gains 4hp per food

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Since the adventurer HP is shown with decimals, I guess it's the same thing for monsters and damage. I just had a monster sith 0hp, it went down with the next hit.

That feeling when a monster is at 1hp, and you want to kill it with a -100% dmg mod skill like Bounty Hunter Mark... and it survives at 0hp...

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I think this game has a very solid groundwork, it just needs more variety to give it longevity. Their are two dungeons still to be added but I would definitely like more classes. Also for them to be balanced better, because right now I don't see any reason I shouldn't be running with 3 Hellions other than for the sake of fun.

Speaking of which, is there any way to increase move resist? I want to use the Leper but he has zero positioning skills that I could see, so I'm wondering if there is a way to keep him rooted in front other than pure luck.

Trinkets would be the main thing

Arbalest and Man-at-arms are apparently pretty much done. Just depends how soon they will make it ingame. Also class passives/boni are not in yet, and i'm not sure what they will be like. will they be random or selectable like combat skills/camp skills (i.e. pick X out of y)? "semi-permanent" like traits? permanent at birth?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

This is probably the reason the game picks up in difficulty for new players at that stage. The difficulty ramps up really high, if you haven't been rotating people around a lot, because of the fact that Rank 3s refuse to go to lv1 quests and rank 5s refuse lv1/lv3

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

I'm finding myself liking classes for their flavor bits and less so for their actual mechanics. Like, the Leper's little koans after critting, or the Grave Digger pep talks being weird compliments.

You gotta love the Leper's "COME AT ME BRO" pose when attacked

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Vargs posted:

The Jester's Solo ability feels bugged or something. No matter how low an enemy's debuff resistance, it seems to fail around 75% of the time, no hyperbole.

On a somewhat related note, the fact that enemy resistances skyrocket in the mid/late game is pretty bullshit. All it serves to do is make half the abilities in the game useless in favor of nothing but damage damage damage. Definitely not the right way to go about ramping up the challenge over time (especially since it doesn't even work; the game gets easier the farther in you are).

There must be other factor's involved that we can't see. I get my 200% base stuns resisted quite frequently by enemies with less than 100% stun resistance (not wearing negative stun trinkets). I can understand if there is a cap, like with accuracy (90%), but this happens too often for that

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Darkn1o posted:

They definitely stack. I was stacking 26 damage worth of bleed per turn on the level 5 bosses.

It does stack, but they each have their seperate duration (so that 26 damage is only for that exact turn, the number goes down every turn once previous bleeds run out)

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Any tips on apprentice necromancer? It's a very large dungeon and I'm having trouble even getting to the boss (haven't even seen it yet). I try to hold off my camp as long as I can but find I'm having to use it 1/3 of the way through the dungeon, then being forced to retreat a few rooms from the end. I'll have a good thing going, but all it takes is one surprise attack and I'll go into a stress spiral. Now that I'm figuring out the game more health isn't a big concern, it's always stress.

Every boss can be solved by a Hellion with "If it bleeds"

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Periodiko posted:

The PD just needs to be able to do damage like other characters, I don't understand why some characters have deliberately lovely versions of abilities: the Crusader heal, the Occultist's front-line stuff, the Plague Doctor's damage stuff. If I want to turn my Crusader into a healer and stick him in the back instead of a Vestal, why not? It eats up a skill slot, and he's already penalized by not having many good skills from there. There really shouldn't be bad versions of off-role abilities, because no one is ever going to take them and use them. The penalty for having an Occultist on the front line stabbing people or a Crusader in the back healing people should be that the classes have to be in an awkward position, not that they have to be in an awkward position and also they suck anyway. There should be stuff like good front-line Occultist builds or weird back-line Crusader builds, or being able to do decent damage as a Vestal.

Not to mention the crusader heal can only heal the front 2 spots...

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Verviticus posted:

goddamn the stress reduction on the crusader's camp skill when he's afflicted is amazing

if i have seven traits on either side and get an 8th, does it always just over-write the last one?

Can confirm that is not the case (I only watched my first and last trait to see which got overwritten) instead some random one in the middle was overwritten

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yes very much so IF you can accept a game that's going to challenge you. If you liked true classic roguelikes like Nethack with death around every corner, this is for you. It's the most polished Early Access game I've yet seen.

I wouldn't quite call it as punishing as classic roguelikes, since you still have permanent progress in terms of your base and a free flow of new recruits. Kinda similar to XCom style persistant base + recruits

The game isn't THAT unforgiving. Not quite classic roguelike, but not roguelite.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

madpanda posted:

Does poison resist reduce the damage of attacks (like the little green spiders spit) or just the dot?

Nothing seems to reduce the damage of a dot (nor increase it either). It's either all resisted, or it all goes through.

This opens up the possibility of doing a blight/bleed build by either going all into +chance or getting as much survivability as possible that reduce your dmg, because it doesn't matter

But why would you do a dot build in this game...

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Red Mundus posted:

Bounty hunters are great for pushing enemies everywhere and can pretty much attack from any row. I'm starting to like them as well.

Damage output can be a little lacking but mark and stun damage bonuses add up nicely.

This makes me want to run dual Bounty Hunters with a Yawping Hellion for 200% stun chance for front 2 spots and plague doctor for 100% stun on back 2 (switch to damage buff on a bounty when back 2 dead)

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Necromancer is pathetic. The other two bosses easily have the potential for stuff to go wrong, but I have no idea how the Necromancer is supposed to kill anyone unless you go into the fight with terrible health. His attacks are all weak and he's not particularly robust either. His gimmick of spawning a skeleton with every attack might be a problem if he didn't summon the shittiest, weakest skeletons around. Even the tier 3 Necromancer summons are basically just speed bumps.

I think the worst the Necromancer could ever do is randomly spam his stress inducing attack every turn and make your guys go insane from it. He probably wouldn't live long enough for that to even matter though.

I really think Necromancer is a real pushover compared to the other 2. I can understand if it was like that to easy you into to the bosses, but his incarnations are just as weak

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

The trinket management system is indeed very basic and it's always weird shuffling things around especially if the box is perfectly full (you can't seem to make a new line for empty slots to unequip)

Also those darn class specific trinkets... why can't they fade-out when I don't have the class selected

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Sylphosaurus posted:

Man, I thought I was hot poo poo after murdering the tutorial bandits but now I haven't managed to complete a single mission after that since I tend to get ambushed every loving time by those fleshbeetles that stunlock you. RNGesus is pretty busy pissing on my team, it seems.

Keep torch at 75+, at medium/long quests consider camping early for buffs instead of stress healing (remember to buy camp skills that buff. Important: You can switch camp skills during camping)

That won't solve the RNG, but it might tip it in your favour

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Hellion feels like, on top of everything else she is great at, the best boss killer as well. Gets a big damage buff in camp, can reliably hit all the bosses with powerful attacks, and can inflict bleed as well which is great against the Hag. I kind of think the Hellion is a bit too good. She can fight from any position and has so many good moves to work with. For that much versatility she isn't really fragile either.

[x] Has Damage
[x] Has Bleed
[x] Has Reach
[x] Flexible Positioning
[x] Good Camp buffs

I wonder if more people would use Grave Robber if her camp skills weren't all about supply/food/scouting

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

Hellion doesn't do "downsides".

You know the class is in your face when her backwards movement is 0

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Night10194 posted:

How does Scouting work, exactly? Is it just a percent chance you'll scout the area when you hit a room?

You can increase scouting chance procs with trinkets and camp skills. Sometimes you scout 1 hallway+room ahead, sometimes 2 hallways+rooms ahead. The map scouting procs from looting a bag usually only scouts the hallways.

Scouting is probably one of those hidden stat things (kind of like trap disarming) that some are better at than others. I have a feeling this will be covered by the "Class Bonus" tab.

Scout Chance
Trap Disarming
Religious

I wonder what else could be in there

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

AngryBooch posted:

Is the Trap Resistance stat I've been looking at not related to disarming traps but only resisting their effect?

At this rate I can't even tell, it doesn't help that the classes that are better at disarming have the best trap resistance base (I still go by resistance like you though)

I always figured it could be a hidden stat, like +bleed/blight/debuff/stun chance that's not shown

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Lotish posted:

I just wish the Hag was a more predictable and controllable fight. Last time I tried to fight her it was like she kept getting action after action without me getting to do anything. Into the Pot--> Taste the Stew --> Tenderize the Meat --> Season to Perfection all one after the other just over and and over, and each time she acts the person in the pot loses more health. I felt like I never had a chance to respond and ended up losing three of my best guys.

I'm not sure why the pot does damage so fast either. Isn't removing a whole party member bad enough?

That said she's still doable if you come prepared with people with range

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Rascyc posted:

Try upgrading your skills so you get better accuracy on your attacks.

Bring high accuracy attacks into the Weald. Dogs may be dodgy but they don't do a lot of damage, it's mostly through bleeds. The AoE Vestal heal helps here.

You didn't bring accuracy? Can't hit dogs? Hope you brought disease resistance. Oh, you didn't? Have fun with Rabies. Oh, you have less accuracy now?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Akumos posted:

Can someone give me a few good party setups for early game, or some advice? I cleared one dungeon then kept wiping while my party was de-stressing because I had to use 2 jesters lmao. I have no idea how to get through these dungeons early on, feels like my heals are too low, gold is too low and I'm always stressed.

Vestal in back is always a safe option, but don't use her for heals until the end of a fight, use her for stuns first. Don't start with a Leper until you can compensate for his lack of accuracy, because you don't want to spend too much time buffing with Focus.

Hellion is extremely good to have around, Use her 3 range bleed attack and her 3 hit Aoe, along with her basic attack to hit the front, and probably yawp (good for stun lock stalling to heal up)

Anything else is whatever you want, Highwayman for a 2nd 3 hit AoE attack to clear poo poo with Hellion, or more stuns

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Waffle! posted:

Also run when things aren't going well, and if you're thinking about pressing on or looking for trouble after completing a quest, don't.

I still do this sometimes. "What could POSSIBLY go wrong???!!!"

don't

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kaincypher posted:

been playing since the beginning of Early Access. Killed the Necro Apprentice and Hog Prince no prob. I am scurred of the Hag witch after reading the comments, especially some hints about a murder cauldron? Should I take a party of worthless newbs to figure out the Hag's combat style before bringing in my ringers?

Beware, running from her while someone is in the cauldron = gone forever

And chances are someone is always in the cauldron

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Normal Adult Human posted:

I got those. they're pretty good! the best trinkets in the game.

Ditto

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

ZypherIM posted:

Personally trinkets feel like they're only gotten like one pass on them at most after the initial production. That feels like the one area that really isn't as polished as the rest. Having upsides+downsides is nice, especially if you can use them to boost your party in certain ways. For example, giving the leper the +move resists/prot and -speed/dodge is pretty great, because prot is amazing in general and being moved is really harsh for him. You have to basically say that he isn't going to dodge or move first, but that is workable.

That hellion trinket is basically "always use two of me", so really needs to be changed haha. Then you'll get stuff that is only positive effects but effect a minimal amount of a characters skill set, like the grave digger one, which feel ok to me because even with no negatives they're not super useful.

Same as the + all resist - all chance stuff. My Occultist loves those. Healing with resisted bleeds? Hell yeah

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Wildstrike posted:

One of my characters seems to have a permanent debuff on their damage and their speed but they don't have any stress or any negative quirks. What can cause that?

no trinkets equipped??

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Which trinkets do this besides the cleansing crystal?

I meant the cleansing crystal yeah... maybe I should have specified the 3 resists and not said "all". The list of resists is pretty long after all

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

ZenVulgarity posted:

Are the devs thinking of adding other classes? Not that I need them, more curious or anything.

I'd like the idea of former adventurers dying or kicked out coming to fight you.

Yes and they are coming during EA, so you don't need to wait for release to see them in action. The next 2 will most probably be Arbalest and Man-At-Arms. The rest of the classes are in the OP

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Fhqwhgads posted:

It took me a ton of restarts and playtime before I figured that out, myself :blush:

Edit: When is it a good idea to start teaching heroes adventurers new skills? I have a Vestal that I like, but she doesn't have a skill that I'd like her to have. And are unlocking/upgrading skills better than equipment?

Immediately. Skills are the prime reason you take adventurers with you.

My upgrade prioties are: Armour > Skills > Weapons

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Running With Spoons posted:

Is to-hit chance simply (acc-dodge)/100?
If so, it seems upgrading weapons give 10%-15% more damage, while upgrading a skill gives 5%-8% chance to hit and 1%crit.
But I guess I'd upgrade the healing and stunning skills first.

I think chance to hit and chance to dodge are rolled seperately? Because you can have "dodge" and "miss" pop up

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

The reason walls/trees auto-select the shovel is probably because it's the only interactable that can't be bypassed. It seems very "quality of life" decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Teslavi posted:

The bleed is often resisted, so it's not strictly worse. Also I just went in to check and it's still minimum 0 healing for me; if it had a minimum healing of 1 that skill would instantly become twice as good because the only thing worse than healing someone for 0 is bleeding them and healing them for 0.

Not being able to immediately get someone out of Death's Door that round is a huge drawback. If you're prone to rage attacks due to RNG, don't play this class as the main healer!