Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Excited to see this coming out on early access shortly. I remember seeing trailers for this awhile back and thinking it looked super cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
This game is cool. I'm really bad at it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Makaris posted:

COMPOSITIONS
vs. Swine Royalty: ARBALEST / OCCULTIST / BOUNTY HUNTER / MAN-AT-ARMS
vs. Prophet: ARBALEST / OCCULTIST / MAN-AT-ARMS / HELLION

I really appreciate these posts. I've never beaten the game, not that it's ever put me in a "give up" situation, but I usually just burn out or get distracted halfway through. These strategy posts are motivating me to gear up for a real attempt at it. A lot of your strategies are the same conclusions I've come to on my own.

If you ever have the time, I'd love to see a post of just your ideal compositions for each boss. Could be as simple as something in the format above, wouldn't even need explanations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
One underrated thing about Darkest Dungeon: it actually has a "_windowsnosteam" directory with a built-in updated version that will run outside of Steam. Believe it or not, the game will run just fine off a USB stick (aside from a very long load time to start). Between that and its turn-based nature, it's quickly becoming my "bored at work" go to game. The only thing you have to remember is to move your save files onto the USB when you're done.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DLC Inc posted:

it's sort of replacing the township aspect with the more common "doing it in runs" that most roguelites have though you do improve your characters on a more individual basis with their story skill unlocks / characters / trinkets and then some. It's def more streamlined this time around but I'm guessing it was to curb some of the grindier aspects and free up the opportunity to put more encounter-based stuff in the game.

I definitely like this aspect a lot more since at least I don't have to worry about sending my party into a dungeon and losing everyone and having to grind all the way back up. Maybe that's just a function of being used to losing "runs" in roguelikes. Like I can feel free to suck at this game without crippling myself for a long time, at least I'm making some incremental progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Operant posted:

I get adding death's door/deathblow res in as a way to add tension on the last little bit of a fight, but they already have that in terms of damage rolls. One more point of randomness on finishing an important enemy off can feel really bad, especially with setup stuff like mark/vulnerable being completely wasted. The absolute worst is having a dude no sell death's door twice in a row on round 5 of a fight then kick you out with no rewards.

I think there's some mitigation but there should be more, the feel is really not good, ie I feel like it would feel better if some abilities got ignore deathblow res, or if vulnerable canceled deathblow res completely.

EDIT: Currently relationship stuff is extremely swingy and basically drives one way or the other way too fast. The meta is basically spam stress heals early which gets you good relationships built super fast and gives you a ton of free action economy. If you don't, the opposite happens, probably by your first region. It might just be testing numbers during early access but I hope its toned down in release.

At first I didn't like the deathblow thing, but it really hasn't been an issue for me most of the time. On my whole last run (which cleared the act), there were maybe two fights where it made any significant difference. Doesn't seem like it's tuned to cause that much trouble. Like it's there to let an enemy hang around for an extra round every now and again and drain a little more of your health/stress, which mitigation of is kind of the name of the game anyway.