Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How feature complete/how much replayability does this game have in its current state? Just reading the stories its incredibly tempting to pick it up on Tuesday, but I usually exhaust a game in 1 period of playing it, and rarely ever go back, so I may want to hold off until there is more content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What do the multiple monitor options in the settings do? Are they stable?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The monitor number one? Just lets you choose what monitor you want it to display on, unless there's another option I'm missing. No way to stretch it across two or anything fancy like that, that I know of.

e: digging through the dialogue xml file again, I like the Plague Doctor even more. There are so many lines I've never seen, a lot of the conditions for triggering them are... pretty specific.

Oh Darn. I thought it would do something neat like put a map and an inventory on another monitor. I wish more games did that.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
If someone dies do you lose the trinkets that were on them?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What qualifies as an eldritch enemy? Is it stuff in the cove?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Doctor Schnabel posted:

no, he's garbage. go into your game files and give solo a mark effect and add some +crit to his camp skills, or maybe buff his single target stress cure a little. i did some of the above and now i can actually look at him without puking

Yea, somehow I don't think making a skill that can mark the entire enemy team is even remotely balanced.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I think I have a good idea of when to use stuns vs. attacks vs. heals vs pulls. What I don't have a good grip on is debuffs. Are those ever worth using on regular enemies? I feel like you are giving up the chance to kill the enemy faster in exchange for possibly hindering them killing you faster. Just doesn't seem worth it in this game.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Gabriel Pope posted:

If you don't have a stun and can't kill an enemy any faster, debuffs are sometimes the next best thing.

(In a few cases, there are enemies tough enough that debuffs become plan #1 because even with a stun you can't count on killing them before they wreck your poo poo.)

I mean define "can't kill an enemy any faster"? Like if you can take a swing at them, is it better to that than debuff them? Which debuff skills are notably worth taking? Are any of the -damage ones goods?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is a flat 10% melee damage buff on Crusader worth locking?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

ZypherIM posted:

Provisioning talk:
With secret rooms I think you should always hold onto 1 key if possible. The trick with long missions is that taking a ton more curio supplies isn't really useful, since between stuff like sacks of loot and fight rewards you're going to fill your inventory.

Something to keep in mind with torches is that if you have +torch abilities you don't need quite as many, and if you're going to the ruins you probably need some extra for the cultists -torch effects. Depending on your timing of camping you could save a few torches there as well. 16 is a pretty good target, often times I'll take 1-2 more (enough to give some lee-way while also few enough that the slot will be open for loot quick). If you're going to warrens don't skimp on torches, there is a good curio interaction there.

If the money isn't a huge deal, clear out the food (I think it is 3 stacks?) or at least take 2. The idea is that you'd like to be able to feast when you camp, which heals 25% hp and 10 stress but takes 8 food. If you're going to warrens/weald feel free to take less if you want to commit some herbs into the food interactions.

1 shovel per length is about the expected wall generation rate, 1 extra for the weald. If you're going to the cove shovels also open a bunch of stuff, so take extras and try to keep a few around for walls.

The rest of the supplies you should take based on where you're going. I wouldn't take more than 3 of a type, and those only the heavy-hitting interaction options. If you're going to the warrens or cove I'd take 1 inventory slot to stock up on their special curio item, because if you find a bunch of them that is way more effective money than an inventory slot could give.

Both those places spawn a curio with a "remove negative quirk" thing.
Warren - pile of scrolls (note scrolls NOT books) <-- apply a torch
Cove - eerie coral <-- apply medicinal herbs

Everywhere can spawn an eldritch altar, but its a low chance so not something to plan for
Everywhere - eldritch alter (tentacle altar) <-- holy water

Are you talking about long missions specifically? 16 torches and 3 stacks of food seems like overkill. I don't think I ever take more than 1 stack of each to short/medium missions.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Macaluso posted:

edit: Like drat, corpses are just tedious and that second one, holy cow why would anyone want that

Corpses are more than just tedious. I mean they are an intentional mechanic that alters gameplay in significant ways, adding depth. Without them, you are basically just playing easy mode.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
1. Is leveling up the Occultist's heal worth it? I see it raises the bleed chance, and only gives +2 to the maximum. I've been leaving it unleveled.

2. How much do the upper tier blacksmith upgrades matter? The first two upgrades seemed great weapon wise, but now at the 3rd upgrade, it's only increasing the maximum damage by 1, and not even increasing the minimum damage. Does this even make an appreciable difference?

3. How many different versions of bosses are there? I've done quite a few of the orange (veteran?) dungeons, and I have yet to see another boss run. My guys are already halfway to level 5. Do I have to beat every single level 1 boss to unlock the later versions? I think I still have one more cove boss to beat.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Wafflecopper posted:

That kind of sucks though, it just means more grinding dungeons you've already beaten to earn money for the stacks of bandages you need. Also there's no incentive to try a dark run in the "darkest dungeon". The crazy stress is enough reason to go fullbright anyway, but I don't see why they can't offer more loot or even special crazy powerful DD-only no-light only trinkets.

It's likely not content complete. They clearly couldn't finish in their selected timeline, which is why they turned events and the last merchant class into a "free DLC!". Both were supposed to be in by release. In that "DLC" I would also expect to see some more Darkest Dungeon stuff, and balance changes to jester & leper.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Firstborn posted:

Does anyone here like the base game? It's your game, your money, your time and you can play it however you want but I didn't expect this much tweaking from the supposed audience this game is for. For content on the :xcom: plate, last night I was hunting a boss and was doing super good. Everyone healed up to near full, low stress, etc. Two fights on the way to the boss, properly scouted, where things went awry put that journey directly into the toliet (and I feel fine).

What tweaks have you made to the game that you deem necessary?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

vandalism posted:

This game can suck my dick. I've restarted it a couple of times because I just wasn't happy with how my game was going. Now, I had a sweet start and everything was cool. Had a medium dungeon run with Reynaud and Dismas plus a PD and Vestal. Things were going great. I got slugger, low stress, wrecking everything. Then the loving collector shows up. He didn't kill any of my dudes and I got him, so I decided to go on. Last room fight everyone got overstressed and Dismas got killed. loving bullshit. I keep restarting when I get pissed at the game. Probably dumb, but I don't wanna lose Reynaud or Dismas. I am just abysmally bad at this game.

I don't like how they've changed the game from EA launch. They spent time trying to kick the player in the dick even harder with every change.

You don't like the game because you are self imposing a needless loss condition on yourself, and starting over from scratch every time. You aren't making any progress in town upgrades, which is the mechanic that tempers the difficulty curve. You can choose to play the game however you want, but don't blame the changes they made, when you've implemented the hardest self made rule of all.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
The Leper is actually the best hero for the cannon fight, because he can use his double hit skill to consistently kill the melee dude while hitting the cannon each turn. All you have to do is take 3 other people who can kill the other 2 guys, which is easy. The abomination can do this too, but the fight goes for a long time, and the stress would really rack up, so leper is actually better.

So even the Leper has his niche.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

MinibarMatchman posted:

"hit consistently" is something I wouldn't say about the Leper but I WAS dumb enough to take him in a party for the Hag, and his big hit at least came in use for knocking guys out of the pot in one hit. Luckily I had GRobber and Highwayman so the shuffling didn't gently caress with him that much. He's great if you ar elucky with to get big crits and can help finish a fight quick.

With camp buffs and trinkets he can hit very consistently (sun ring + his own accuracy buff). I just did the fight on veteran difficulty and he didn't miss a swing for the entire 15ish rounds it took. I hear that the enemies dodge rate gets obnoxious on champion so we'll see.

To the other guy who quoted me. Yea he doesn't 1 shot him, but he kills him in about 2 rounds with 1 attack from anyone else, all while hitting the cannon. This gets even easier when you wipe all 3 out, and reinforcements only come in 1-2 at a time. Leper is really good for that fight.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 24, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Krinkle posted:

There are no more short missions they're all camping medium missions. I lost my party to a medium mission and now 4 random idiots gotta go camping with no food and no torches. That's why I had to restart. Twice.

I feel like the curios are handled poorly I mean if you use an item on something, and that's not the right item, it takes the item. Nothing happens and also that item is gone so you can't use it on the next curio to find out where it does work. Why? How did I "lose a key" trying to unlock something with no keyhole? Did I get frustrated and throw it as far as I could? What the gently caress? Give me my key back.

Feels like bad game design to make you have the wiki open in another window or else you are 100% hosed with no reasonable experimentation allowed or rewarded.

This is part of the appeal of the rogue like elements. You try things out, fail most of the time, but slowly learn what to do when. If that's not your cup of tea ok, but it's definitely intentional game design. Can you just cheat and look at a wiki page? Sure. You can also do that in Binding of Isaac, FTL, etc...

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

fatherboxx posted:

What's the trick to using Abominations or are they considered a trash/challenge class?
I used him once and all the transformation hassle seemed not worth the constant stress on him and the party.

While transformed he does a million damage. That's the trick. If it's a regular medium or long mission you'll probably want a jester to manage the transformation stress. If it's a boss, just beeline line it for the furthest room, keep him in human form swinging the chain for regular fights, and you can get away without using a jester for that 1 fight.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I just beat all the Veteran level bosses. Ran some champion level dungeons, which are challenging but good. Great game, but I think this is probably where I call it. Doing the same thing for another 10+ hours just to grind out the rest seems pretty dull.

I disagree with a few select pieces of advice given in this thread over and over. For an alternative approach:

1. In terms of upgrades and general usage of deeds, heavily prioritize the blacksmith over the stage coach. If your heroes are upgraded with weapons and armor, they won't be dying as often. Max out the roster size gradually as you find the need to expand due to team's being down to stress/quirk recovery. The number of guys the stagecoach brings only needs to be upgraded once or twice. I'm 30 hours in and that track is still 2 away from max.

2. Don't grind for money, don't do dark runs. Don't do that nonsense about hiring 4 people off the stagecoach, throwing them into a dark run, and then firing them. It's a waste of time. The game is grindy enough without this silliness. You shouldn't ever need to grind for money in this game. Unless you are suffering catastrophic wipes, each mission you do should net you more than enough money to keep upgrading skills/weapons/armor at a good rate. Don't bother removing any negative perk other than kleptomaniac, and don't bother locking positive quirks. I've never had money issues in this game, and I've never even sold a trinket.

3. Leper is a great hero who is only bad in certain specific situations. He can hit the first 2 dudes for tons of damage, he has a great -damage - accuracy debuff also for the first 2 dudes, and he can heal himself for stress or health. Just don't bring him to any boss fight where the boss hides behind an object (Hag, Prophet, Necromancer, Drowned Crew, Formless Flesh cause of prot%). People in this thread do that, and then cry about the hero being bad. His accuracy is not great at first, but can easily be fixed with trinkets and camp buffs.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

please dont troll the new people with bad advice

Maybe I just had a really luck early game, but I didn't have to do a single suicide run or grind at all. That seems like a good way to get a new player to get bored real fast, so I'm not sure what's wrong with the advice.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I thought Occultists were way better than Vestals until champion level dungeons, when it swings back the other way hard. When enemies have way higher accuracy and can start 1-2 hitting your squishy heroes you need reliable healing. The accuracy bonus to enemies is actually the bigger culprit than the damage-- When the enemies always hit, your healer ends just healing 90% of the time, and the Vestal is way better at that than the Occultist.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 31, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Snak posted:

I have found that, as I transition to Veteran level dungeons, having more healing abilities than one really good healer is pretty important. In level 1 dungeons, having one occultist or one vestal was basically all I needed, now I need one, and for at least one other person to have a small heal. Fortunatly, the game is set up this way. I also find that the Crusader's targeted stress heal is really really good. And Man-at-Arms, which seem unnecessary in the earlier dungeons, is really good now too.

The problem with other sources of health healing is that they are only actually useful when you have the fight under control, and are just abusing stuns on 1 enemy while everyone else uses their healing abilities. Otherwise you are wasting a damage dealing character's turn on a healing ability, thus leaving the enemies alive longer, and there's a very good chance they can easily outdamage your ability. One crit in a champion level dungeon is 30-50 damage. I'm not disagreeing with you, because dragging out fights to heal is an important strategy in the game, but I don't think it really has to do with the Vestal vs. Occultist debate.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Harrow posted:

I'm not sure what else they could do without fundamentally changing how the game is "meant" to be played. The best suggestion I've seen, and (to be fair) the one that I'd like to see implemented, would be to start offering only level 3 heroes once you beat all the Apprentice bosses (and stop offering Apprentice missions), and then do the same again when you beat all the Veteran bosses. The problem with that would be that it changes the bosses from optional goals (albeit optional goals everyone seems to go for) into absolutely vital missions that you have to do in order to save yourself from late-game grind.

It would also seriously dull the threat level of the Darkest Dungeon itself. The difference between level 5 and 6 isn't exactly huge, and if you only got level 5 heroes on the stagecoach after you beat all the Veteran bosses, you could pretty easily just throw dudes into the Darkest Dungeon meat grinder without a care in the world. Maybe just make level 3 the baseline for stagecoach heroes, and don't do the jump up to level 5?

Having a faster way to throw guys at the Darkest Dungeon wouldn't actually change the difficulty content of the dungeon itself. It would make the whole end game way less tedious though.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Do you guys use your most valuable trinkets on DD runs? I'm clearing up the second tier of champion bosses, so I'm almost there. I think I might just throw stress mitigation on everyone and call it a day.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bad Seafood posted:

I will often bring a Hound Master on missions unsuited for him simply because his stun-rate with class-specific trinkets is absolutely insane. I've seen Hound Masters keep bosses and heavy enemies locked down for several turns in a row despite mounting resistances. They can also heal themselves in a pinch which makes them one less dude to worry about when things start looking grim.

Plague Doctor can do the same thing, except with 2 enemies at the same time. I think she can have an even higher stun rate with her class specific trinkets +40% and +30%). If you bring them both you can pretty much lock down the entire enemy team, while your other two heroes beat them up.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 8, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Alright. Finished the champion bosses, and made it to the darkest dungeon. Really don't like the mechanics behind not being to able use the same party/leaving someone behind if you have to abandon. I understand they want a risk associated, but punishing failure with having to grind entire new parties/heroes out from level 1 is terrible gameplay design. I honestly can't think of a more tedious gameplay mechanic. Gonna put it down till they sort that out.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 8, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Kly posted:

If its any consolation the gameplay of the end dungeon is the same as the gameplay of levelling up a new party, so youre not really missing much since im assuming you dont actually like the way the game plays anyway.

Actually you're wrong. It is not. The end dungeon has enemies and bosses I have not seen, and story I have not experienced. These two characteristics make it desirable to play. I enjoyed the way the game plays immensely while experiencing the content the first time around. Apprentice and Veteran dungeons no longer offer anything exciting that makes me voluntarily want to revisit them. Thus being forced to do so is unappealing, and makes me not excited to play this game I was previously enjoying. This may very well be with the creators intended, a la the opening screen, but I personally do not find this game design approach clever. You can find a way to make a game challenging and full of risk without the punishment of tedium.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Kly posted:

I dont know how you cleared all the bosses and got into the position youre in where you some how dont have multiple parties of lvl 6 dudes who can go into the last dungeons, but you can solve your problem with notepad and five minutes.
The "wont go back again" and "lose some one on failure" are things they arent likely to remove.

I didn't lose multiple parties. I did have to retreat, and have lost 2 healers in the process, which was half of my healers. The idea of training 2 more back up from level 1 sounds time consuming and boring, especially since I have X-Com sitting around ready to be played. Thank you for the people suggesting about editing the ini files. I do like to play the game by its rules though, and that's sort of cheating which would also remove my will to play.

I do believe you that this is the sort of grind they intended for the end game. I guess it gives you a sense of accomplishment upon completion, but it's not my cup of tea. I'm just gonna watch the final boss on youtube, call it a day, and play X-Com. I got 50 hours from this game, and enjoyed it a ton, so I'm very happy with the experience as a whole.