Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

If you previously had Corpses turned OFF, you will need to turn Darkest Dungeon Config OFF and then turn Corpses OFF again.
Removed the option to disable Heart Attacks. Heart Attacks were changed substantially in the Inhuman Bondage update (they no longer kill you instantly) and the stress mechanics of the game require you to play with the revised Heart Attacks
New Game Option: Disable Combat Delay Penalties
New Game Option: Reduce strength of enemy crits
New Game Option: Eliminate lasting mortality debuffs from Death's Door and Heart Attacks
New Game Option: Make Combat Retreats always succeed (except when blocked by Affliction)

Changing these options should delete the game from your account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ZypherIM posted:

They've got the starter dungeons tweaked pretty nicely, and once your guys are level 2 you're pretty OP compared to what you're fighting. poo poo changes pretty quickly around after you hit the higher level dungeons, so don't worry about things being easy forever.

I've sort of come to the conclusion that there is never a time to take a crusader or leper past the level 1 dungeons. Being unable to really do much past rank 1/2 really just makes them bad compared to other options. They both have good damage bases, but not crazy past other people, and there are a good number of front line enemies that get +prot as you go up. In addition there are a decent number of boss/mini-boss stuff where only being able to effect the front 2 rows is really bad. They work out in level 1 dungeons ok because you can muscle through stuff, but at level 3 they're really iffy, and level 5 I wouldn't care to try. If you ever think that you should take one of them, take a man-at-arms instead (he hits front 3, has a stun out to rank 3 that also pushes, has a guard ally, and then pick any 1 extra skill cuz they're all decent).

At least the Crusader can still heal / stress heal others, even if he can't hit ranks 3 and 4. Leper is just kinda meh.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ZypherIM posted:

Houndmaster is a great hero that I like, but he is pretty complicated and doesn't slot into a party easily if you don't know whats up. Marks, guarding, self heal, stress heal, stun, attacks, and a bunch of that being mutually exclusive slotwise or only situationally useful. There are options that are much more straight forward that would be better for people to take while still learning how to approach the game.

Counterpoint: he is great for a new player because of those reasons. He can basically do everything except heal others. He can attack from any range, stun if hes in melee,has a self heal, party stress heal or put dots on the whole enemy line to pick off enemies that are weak.

Houndmaster is great.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JT Jag posted:

That stress heal of the Houndmaster's heals the entire party? gently caress.

The description is kinda vague, for buffs it should show if it's single or multiple-targeting.

Also, up until now I've kinda been forcing myself to use only one character of each type, but I guess I should stock up on a few extra Vestals and such.

Yea having buffs show if it affected a single person or the entire party would be a nice ui change.

It has a 65% per person to get stress healed.

:woof: houndmaster owns

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ZypherIM posted:

When the player has honestly no grasp on what to use when then yes, it is a bad class for a new player. Even worse if they think they know what they're doing and they really don't yet. It is the plethora of options that are all good abilities that make him not a great character for a new person, versus someone like a crusader (whom I'm not a huge fan of which you can see from my other posts about him) or a hellion. You don't look at a hellion and try to figure out when you should have him in rank 3 for stress heal+attacks or rank 2 for stun+attacks, and you don't need to find a buddy that fits into the party that doesn't mind swapping. You don't have to worry about marking and when you should or shouldn't. You just apply the damage to the spot that is giving you trouble and move to the next turn.

Some of the classes even have stuff that you look at and wonder why you'd ever use it, like vestral. She has 2 front row only moves and a -dodge debuff, a stun, and 2 heals. Even a new player looks at that and pretty much goes "I'll take the heals and the stun, thanks" and then has 1 slot they maybe think about. On the other hand, Occultist has 6 abilities from the back and his heal works a bit weird. He is a harder character to figure out and use. Personally I almost never run Vestals anymore, but to a new person I'm not going to tell them to do that, I'll tell them to grab Vestals and keep an Occultist around to figure out so they can play abomination or marking comps.

I'm not being down on the houndmaster as a class, he is great and I use him plenty, just that as a suggested character for a new player he is pretty dense. After they run some straight forward parties around for a while and get used to the general flow of combat and learn what monster abilities are and do, they'll go mess with other setups or ask how to use a more complicated class.

Too many good abilities with almost no way to go wrong(unless you shove him in rank 1 without a melee ability and are too stupid to figure out what's wrong, but then Darkest Dungeon might be beyond your grasp anyways). Truly the worst beginner class. I don't know how dumb you think people starting out are, but if they are confused by how the houndmaster works they should probably just get a refund.

Houndmaster works in every rank. Put him in any rank and hit button. As you said, he can apply damage to the spot that is giving you trouble. He just works. Oh he's hurt? Use his self heal.

:woof:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fated is still my pick for best quirk, even with the accuracy buffs. gently caress misses.

Also cure every disease but rabies. Even on the Leper. Especially on the Leper :getin:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

Are Bounty Hunters or Arbalests even worth taking off the cart if I don't feel the need to mark/aren't facing a boss?

Bounty Hunters do a lot of damage, especially once you get one of their unique trinkets that boost their melee damage by 25%. They can also disrupt / shuffle enemy ranks. They don't really need marks to be effective and they do really well against human type enemies.

Arbalests are ok. Poor for general dungeon clears, great for bosses. They are slow as balls unless you blow two turns blind firing, but good luck hitting what you want.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

Sweet.

While I'm in here, how much do you all prioritize SPD, especially when it comes to -SPD on trinkets? What about dodge? (That one at least is more obvious; -dodge on a Crusader or MaA is bad news bears, less so for others, but I don't really get SPD's value.)

speed is the best stat. go first to kill them first.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Iron Chitlin posted:

The final class, The Merchant, will not be part of this upcoming patch. It will be added shortly after release alongside the Town Events in the first post release content patch.

Boo. I wanted to play the merchant on the 19th.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

endolithic posted:

But if he gets killed horribly does that mean the doggy does too? :(

all those rabid dogs you face? yea that's what happens to them after the houndmaster dies

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

There's still no way to ever keep perks, positive or negative, from being replaced right? The fact that they get replaced all the time makes me ignore most of them unless they are exceptionally bad.

you can lock up to 3 positive quirks

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Normal Adult Human posted:

do arbelasts, vestals, and crusaders have naturally high virtue chances?

I wish you could see your virtue chance in game

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Operant posted:

I dislike the occultist more and more as a high-level healer. The variance on his healing + the bleed (when it happens) can absolutely gently caress you. There's also a ton of situations where having a guaranteed aoe party heal to drag people off death's door is way more valuable.

There's seriously very little more frustrating than having your veteran level occultist heal a dude for 0 or 1

Vestal has always been the best healer. :colbert:

Afraid of Audio posted:

but then he crit heals for 0 and confidence surges

ftfy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lyrax posted:

I'm trying to think of a boss fight you might actually want to bring a Leper to. Maybe the Swine Prince since it's always front ranks and Flesh which can be easily Hew'd? I guess the Hag if you really wanna focus on getting people out of the pot. I thought the Siren because her ranks don't fill out too much but then I remembered when you get someone back they get dumped to rank 4 and at that point your leper may as well be perma-charmed for what good he does.

He's also ok for the necromancer, to cleave down the adds + boss. But the crusader can also do this so...

Maybe the brigand cannon boss? Idk.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bad Seafood posted:

That whole thing is worth listening to just for those last two bonus tracks.

the ancestor was just trying to get the stickiest of the icky :350:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

I can't believe I finally get to play this game tomorrow. The wait has been so long :unsmith:.

Still disappointed that the Merchant class won't be coming out tomorrow :negative:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Any basic tips to keep in mind before I begin?

All upgrades to the caravan asap.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Been using Jester, and he's not bad at all? He basically ensures that my team comes back with no stress. Granted, I just have Solo/Finale and the two buffs. There's nothing wrong with a character that is just straight up used for utility, especially one that mitigates stress completely.

Or you could use a houndmaster / crusader who can also do the stress heal job but who are also not poo poo at everything else.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Night10194 posted:

I've just picked this back up now that it's out and jesus gently caress can everything go wrong fast on a run. Everything was going just fine until my bounty hunter ate two crits in a row and I missed 3 attacks against those goddamn spiders, then made the mistake of thinking 'I'm almost to the last room, I can use my food to heal', which immediately led to hunger.

I managed to get out of it with 3 insane heroes and 2 on death's door, but at least I won. I'm guessing that as they're rookies, I should just fire the crazies? Treating them would cost an awful lot.

fire them all unless they have good quirks

TastyLemonDrops posted:

But I'm using the Houndmaster and Crusader to kill people??? How am I supposed to heal stress if I'm hitting dudes in the face instead. Well I mean other than crits, which the Jester will happily provide with his buff.

bring more than 1 houndmaster.

bring 4 houndmasters

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

What is the worst party composition? Challenge level: no duplicate adventurers

Arbalest, Jester, Leper, Graverobber.

Arbalest almost doesn't make the cut because she has a sweet camp buff, but not being able to hit rank 1 reliably is terrible.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

If you have a jester and graverobber the downsides of a leper are gone

they let him hit ranks 3 and 4?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

centaurtainment posted:

Why do people on here hate the Jester so much? Battle Ballad is the best buff in the game (not even taking into account the fact that it stacks) and Inspiring Tune is the only worthwhile Fear heal. I got through every mid-level dungeon and boss pre-release with a Jester in my fourth rank Battle Ballad-ing and spot healing for Stress. After the Ballad stacks it's pretty much assured that all four of your adventurers will go first every round, which allows for teams with unusually slow characters who have massive buffs to damage from trinkets.

I think the Jester is actually worse after the release. My go-to teams used to be Jester/Vestal/Crusader/Crusader, with both Crusaders with Holy Lancing and stunning, or Jester/Occultist/Abom/misc. Now both Crusader and Abomination have been nerfed, so you need that fourth slot for an additional marker, spot damager, or utility character, and can't justify the inclusion of a pure Fear healer and general buffer.

As for the Leper, he is and always has been a chump. A leprous, self-righteous chump.

You could spend a few turns buffing, then more turns stress healing.

Or use an actual good character and kill things faster and in fewer turns.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The arbalests and their low speed is brutal. Especially now with the camp changes so they can't even get +2 speed for the whole run.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Panfilo posted:

Am I the only one that feels like Emboldening Vapors is pretty 'blah'? I can't think of another single target buff and for good reason; to be worth it the benefit of the buff needs to exceed the turn not spent blighting or stunning enemies. Here's how I would change it:

Emboldening Vapors: Only affects front two rows, giving them +25% damage, +4 speed, +15% stress resist. If they are afflicted, they get an additional +15% damage and 2% crit. The idea behind this is that it buffs two heroes, not one, but only the front two heroes so its limited to the frontliners. The speed boost hopefully allows them to take their turn immediately after the Plague Doc. Buffing afflicted heroes makes them really powerful, but you're gambling on them not getting emo on their turn and passing or doing something stupid like stabbing themselves. And it lasts only 1 round.

I would bake it into battlefield medicine and lower / remove the heal. Increase the potency if you are curing blight or something.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Re: leper, an abomination-style transform where he removes his mask mid-fight for improved accuracy and range at the cost of party stress and personal PROT would fix him pretty good. I love that deformed pious weirdo and I just want to see him do well.

Let the Leper throw his dirty bandages to blight the a single target in rank 2-4.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kawabata posted:

I feel the stress damage needs to be toned down some, at least in certain cases. I'm grinding low level content for trinkets and my hero lvl 3 crusader's resolve is immediately tested because he saw a crit on a party member and a dumb mob yelled in his face a couple of times.

Now he's fearful and I immediately know I just lost 1000+gold in stress relief just for this bullshit. Oh and god forbid you're out of shovels and you need to use your hands, it's more stressful than seeing the loving prince of darkness apparently. When that happens I just leave the dungeon, because again it's a shitload of gold you're about to lose in relief.

You don't need to send them to get stress relief after every single run. Just let them chill in town while your B - D team goes out.

I do agree that running out of shovels is silly because they get so stressed out from destroying the barrier.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Anatharon posted:

Though I will say, I liked how in my case at least my surviving party at the end of the Darkest Dungeon was Dismas and Reynauld.

You are a true hero :patriot:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Operant posted:

A lot of this game boils down to the fact that the guy with the dog is actually the best class and the best forever at casually ducking away from monstrous crabs trying to murder him.

All classes could be improved with a dog.

No lie, 4x houndmasters is the best party for the last boss. I'll fight anyone who disagrees. :woof:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

vandalism posted:

This game can suck my dick. I've restarted it a couple of times because I just wasn't happy with how my game was going. Now, I had a sweet start and everything was cool. Had a medium dungeon run with Reynaud and Dismas plus a PD and Vestal. Things were going great. I got slugger, low stress, wrecking everything. Then the loving collector shows up. He didn't kill any of my dudes and I got him, so I decided to go on. Last room fight everyone got overstressed and Dismas got killed. loving bullshit. I keep restarting when I get pissed at the game. Probably dumb, but I don't wanna lose Reynaud or Dismas. I am just abysmally bad at this game.

I don't like how they've changed the game from EA launch. They spent time trying to kick the player in the dick even harder with every change.

source your steam review quotes please

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Krinkle posted:

I"m not going to load up a suicide squad to clear out one hallway come home and fire them with their awful mental problems, repeat 30 times to get maybe 6k gold to equip a real party who will also die because they are still level 0 and can't be upgraded anyway.

:gitgud:

if you cant even complete a short mission with 4 random idiots then idk what to tell you

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I wonder if dark souls would have been as popular if it force-sold your equipment and delevelled you an hours worth of grinding or more after each loss.

I mean if you fail to recover a body with a ton of souls, that's basically the same thing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gabriel Pope posted:

So, at some point, the following thought went through your head: "That last ambush took a lot out of me. Another ambush could be really deadly and I'm running out of torches. I think I'll keep on going and hope I don't get ambushed a second time."

Red Hook needs to patch in this message so it stays on the start up screen for like 10 seconds so maybe idiots will accidentally read it and understand:

I mean there are legit grips and annoyances with the game like it eating your items when you try random poo poo on curios, the UI could be better, etc. But most of the complaints here are hilarious

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

toasterwarrior posted:

Is it worth taking Abominations without Jester support?

yea, if you use their human form more.

or have a houndmaster to stress heal the party.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

Do (de)buffs and DoTs stack infinitely, or do they roll off as the original cast time expires, or what?

real edit: each cast of a buff / debuff lasts 3 turns. each additional cast will apply another layer(to a max of 3 due to the duration), but the first layer will not refresh.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 26, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Soothing Vapors posted:

Also, just throwing this out there: as far as I can recall, the only full-party AOE stun in that fight is from retaliation for hitting/killing Wilbur, so in order to have 3 of your dudes stunned in Round 1 you must have already hit Wilbur.... and already gotten the characters warning you to stop doing that

Wilbur can stun 3 guys on his own, but only after the King is dead

the hits just keep on coming lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I only ever pay to use the tavern/church whenever one of my guys gets afflicted. Eventually you get enough people that you can just send out a different team each time and let people destress naturally. Also maybe run jesters instead of listening to people who say they're bad???

or use a houndmaster who is better in every way :woof:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megasabin posted:

I just beat all the Veteran level bosses. Ran some champion level dungeons, which are challenging but good. Great game, but I think this is probably where I call it. Doing the same thing for another 10+ hours just to grind out the rest seems pretty dull.

I disagree with a few select pieces of advice given in this thread over and over. For an alternative approach:

1. In terms of upgrades and general usage of deeds, heavily prioritize the blacksmith over the stage coach. If your heroes are upgraded with weapons and armor, they won't be dying as often. Max out the roster size gradually as you find the need to expand due to team's being down to stress/quirk recovery. The number of guys the stagecoach brings only needs to be upgraded once or twice. I'm 30 hours in and that track is still 2 away from max.

2. Don't grind for money, don't do dark runs. Don't do that nonsense about hiring 4 people off the stagecoach, throwing them into a dark run, and then firing them. It's a waste of time. The game is grindy enough without this silliness. You shouldn't ever need to grind for money in this game. Unless you are suffering catastrophic wipes, each mission you do should net you more than enough money to keep upgrading skills/weapons/armor at a good rate. Don't bother removing any negative perk other than kleptomaniac, and don't bother locking positive quirks. I've never had money issues in this game, and I've never even sold a trinket.

3. Leper is a great hero who is only bad in certain specific situations. He can hit the first 2 dudes for tons of damage, he has a great -damage - accuracy debuff also for the first 2 dudes, and he can heal himself for stress or health. Just don't bring him to any boss fight where the boss hides behind an object (Hag, Prophet, Necromancer, Drowned Crew, Formless Flesh cause of prot%). People in this thread do that, and then cry about the hero being bad. His accuracy is not great at first, but can easily be fixed with trinkets and camp buffs.

please dont troll the new people with bad advice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megasabin posted:

Maybe I just had a really luck early game, but I didn't have to do a single suicide run or grind at all. That seems like a good way to get a new player to get bored real fast, so I'm not sure what's wrong with the advice.

I was mostly being a dick :v:

But you should lock good positive traits early, as it gets more expensive to do later on.
I'd still prioritize the stagecoach upgrades, roster size and getting more dudes per week, over things like the cheaper upgrade costs from the blacksmith and the guild. I would only upgrade the blacksmith and guild when I had 2+ people that could use upgrades for the next tier. Beyond that, stagecoach was priority #1.
Tossing new people into the grinder is a good strat if you are really broke(somehow) and need cash. Or just toss them out and get a new level 0 if they have a shitload of stress so you don't waste money on stress relief or getting rid of all their annoying quirks.

Totally disagree on the Leper though. I can't think of a single fight where I would take him over someone else. I have never said "man I wish I had the Leper for this bossfight / encounter"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

I don't want the game to be easier? I don't understand why you're acting like I'm some giant moron because the best strategies weren't apparent when I started and now I'm in a hole.

So here are my currently available guys (guys I have with less than 35 stress):
ROSTER:
Leper lvl 0
Leper lvl 2
Crusader lvl 0
Highwayman lvl 0
Highwayman lvl 2
Occultist lvl 2
Vestal lvl 1
Plague Doctor lvl 1

STAGE COACH:
2x Bounty Hunter
Vestal
Abomination
Arbalest
Hellion

I have 10k gold right now, so I can afford to unlock any skills they need if they are currently locked, as well as outfit.

what is the best team I can put together from these so that I can make grinding a thing of the past?

Get that Hellion from the stage coach for sure. She owns. Take the bounty hunter and abom too. Ditch the level 0 highwayman and leper. Maybe both lepers if you need space.

Macaluso posted:

Rabies owns. Everyone get rabies

Fated quirk + rabies is a good time. Fated owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TacMan posted:

All the bitching here is fine.

How the gently caress am I actually supposed to beat the shuffling horror. I've lost 20 level 6 guys now. It gets an action after every hero action and most of them are summoning the loving pillar that makes it unkillable.

maybe dont kill the priest :ssh: