Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I keep wanting to play this, getting past the first expedition or two, then quitting when things go wrong instead of rolling with the punches. Why am I so terrible about video games. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks for the advice, I'll give the game another try later. It's just getting past the OCD perfectionist in me who quails at the thought of losing even the most useless, fear-crippled idiot that's hard, is all. v:shobon:v

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What makes a good hero to keep then, and therefore keep safe and sane, as opposed to the ones I let die horribly/chuck away when they've gone barmy?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I want to play this game longer but I can't really get past the idea that most of your dudes are mooks not worth saving or keeping, for some drat fool reason :smith:

(ed: guess I had/have the same problem with XCom, now that I think about it. Haven't beaten that either. Just kinda sucks to lose a dude you've spent any amount of time developing, I guess)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is it generally worth bailing as soon as I finish a quest or should I try to clear every dungeon I enter?

Also, if I don't click the quirk thingies after my jerks come back alive, do they not receive any new quirks?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 28, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

If these fuckers are supposed to be mostly disposable I'm gonna take the same stance as in DCSS: always eat the purpleget the quirks :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

-25% stress resist? Like, negative stress resistance? Is that really what it says in game?

I mean I understand what you mean from context, but jeeze that's really unclear. Are other modifiers like that?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yarg, maths are hard :arghfist::saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Since we're sort of talking about it here, is there a go-to guide I can read while I'm at work on what classes are good when? Top example being Jester--I have no real idea what they're used for besides shuffling the hell out of your own party order :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Why do people specifically recommend the Cloister and Bar for upgrades, rather than the other two for each location?

How high do you want people to get before you bother unlocking skills or upgrading skills and weapons on them?

Does the game have a clock, like XCom's constantly-upgrading adversaries, or if you get right hosed can you always keep on trucking?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

When I hover over a monster in combat there's an exclamation mark next to their moves. What does that mean, that they're currently usable?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ranter posted:

This twitch streamer is an expert at FTL, but he's doing pretty well at darkest dungeon now and is entertaining in a goony way: http://www.twitch.tv/billy1kirby

Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed watching him run roughshod over a level 5 drowned crew. I've never even seen a level 1 boss :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My game is not being nice to me with respect to healers. I'm on week seven and have seen zero occultists and two vestals, one of which is currently missing after getting blind drunk and the other is at 90 stress and recuperating at the bar (guess my next dive's a suicide dive). I expect her to get lost, too, given my luck.

Is which dungeon I go into mostly down to what town upgrade items I need in the beginning, or is there an increasing difficulty from dungeon to dungeon irrespective of the quest ranks?

I've got the Bar and Cloister up to two slots, and the stage coach and barracks upgraded twice (4 each week, 15 max). What should I work on next?

I've been unlocking skills I want at the Guild even on level 0 dorks, but when should I consider said dorks worthy of further upgrades/the blacksmith or survivalist?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are Bounty Hunters or Arbalests even worth taking off the cart if I don't feel the need to mark/aren't facing a boss?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The arbalest I got from the coach didn't have that skill so I didn't know they could do that!

I'm not good at this game :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yaaay I beat my first boss the necromancer apprentice, am I good at video games now? :D

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Afraid of Audio posted:

no but enjoy the ride

Aww I thought I was doing pretty well :smith:

Anal Surgery posted:

Thanks, dick

I've got like three guys with this or something like this, but getting them at the same time, drat

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

About when can I start taking my A team past Apprentice level dungeons? Veteran says "level 3", so about at that renown level?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wow, conceited dicks. I feel less bad about losing these guys now :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do damage buffs or maluses affect how much damage, say, a plague doctor's blights do over time?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Iron Chitlin posted:

No, those only affect the initial damage of the attack, the DOT is entirely controlled by the skill level.

Cool, so I can slap -DMG trinkets on e.g. plague doctors in more or less total safety. At least, when I remember to actually EQUIP trinkets; I always remember to unequip everyone after every sojourn but forget to re-equip alarmingly often :saddowns:

Kind of want to stop playing until the game releases officially in a couple of weeks, though, lest I burn myself out on the game. Do we know yet if anything's going to be added/changed for the release?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have yet to try an Abomination after my startling lack of success with any team that isn't Vestal / Plague Doctor / Highwayman or Hellion / Crusader (or Man at Arms, I used him instead for the Pig boss to guard Squeal targets, worked fantastically). Never even tried a Jester, Graverobber just plays like a somewhat worse Plague Doctor to me, and I just plain couldn't make Hound Master, Arbalest or Bounty Hunter work (or Leper if RNG is unkind) :(

Still thinking about if I want to keep playing this now or wait for release, do we know if we'll be able to keep our saves or if we'll have/want to start over?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sweet.

While I'm in here, how much do you all prioritize SPD, especially when it comes to -SPD on trinkets? What about dodge? (That one at least is more obvious; -dodge on a Crusader or MaA is bad news bears, less so for others, but I don't really get SPD's value.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

Grave Robbers aren't really anything like Plague Doctors, btw

they're high-dps classes, probably the closest thing the game has to a "rogue" type that relies on heavy movement abilities

Grave Robbers are...interesting. I like using them, and they're fun, and their Lunge is a great battle-ending attack, but they're kind of impractical to use unless you have a team that relies on movers

Also abominations are so loving OP. like, just run two of them on a team and don't even transform them, that's how op they are. You get two high-damage stuns that hit almost anywhere, two double blights (which both stack and give a blight res debuff), and two self- and stress-heals. That's without the transforming

They're so goddamn ludicrously ridiculously broken

Abom sounds fancy, I believe I shall give one or two a go if I decide to play some more

I only made the GR/PD quip because the only move I could reliably use when I had mine was the plague darts to stack blight on stuff with PROT, which worked, but ehn

It's probably mostly my fault, I'm not a fan of taking skills that force you to move, never quite know when to use them (this is probably part of why I haven't tried Jester, too)

(edit) I think I've got a handle on this one but I'll ask anyway: when do you use stuns, instead of trying to go for a kill sooner (e.g. a PD using stun gas instead of poo gas)?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah I've loving loved plague doctors since I started playing again. Mine sit in rank 3, with both blight skills, the blight cure, and the damage buff for the front liners on long fights, and she is just a murderer

a science murderer

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

speaking of this game needs a way to set and name teams, for loving reals

i'm tired of hunting for the dudes with the right trinkets and abilities and quirks that i run for no-light or movement teams, etc

Yeah there's a few QoL things I'd love to see in the final game

A way to not jump back and forth between the Embark screen and the rest of town would be nice, I do that a lot while I'm working out who to take next and what improvements I should make to them / who to commit, hire, fire, etc (the shortcuts on the left are a good start, add Embark to that and remove the fade-out/in and we're fuckin set)

As you say, naming and saving teams would be baller

Being able to hover over enemy moves in their list to see what they do (perhaps after you've seen them a couple times) would be nice

Being able to more clearly see the targeting of friendly buffs/heals, i.e. which ones are aoe and which aren't (MaA buffs for example, I had no idea they were aoe)

Probably more I can't think of at the moment--really just small things that add up, but them not being there doesn't detract hugely from how good this game is

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 4, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

plague doctor:*holds up a fistful of maggots and leeches* i swear to god im fuckin licensed.

olde worlde medical "science" loving owns

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah I think I've got two PDs sitting in the stagecoach on my current save, gonna try that combo tonight I reckon

Sounds like a hoot and a fuckin' half if they don't all die of lack of healing first :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

at least one person has to survive to keep loot iirc

you can only keep trinkets from dead party members if one character survives (and wins, obvi) the fight to loot the corpses

Today I learned that if a character on death's door gets a dot, survives the fight, but then bleeds out while walking, you get a Victory! prompt and a chance to loot the trinkets s/he had

This was while I was trying jester / occultist / abomination / man-at-arms

It didn't work so good :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think I need to go through all my trinkets and just sell everything that has -SPD on it, confirm/deny?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm short on dosh, yeah, mainly from a bad habit of unlocking every skill on every new recruit I take off the stagecoach

That and having a huge trinkets cabinet is making me OCD out so I figure might as well get rid of the crap :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Canadian Surf Club posted:

Jan 19th looks like the final release

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/685179050126540800

I've only been picking at the game here and there, can't wait to commit to a full run. Excited to see what they have in store.

I find myself amused by the three wolves howling at the moonshamblers keening to the bloodmoon shirt in that twitter feed

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Verviticus posted:

isnt the fail-state mode coming out in the release patch?

What? Oh god no, I hope this doesn't happen. That's one of the nice things about this game, that there is no permanent fail state a la XCOM.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Man I can't wait to get home and play this tonight. Gonna start a new game, I reckon, and get a proper start at it with what I've learned from a couple days of playing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh my god game give me a loving vestal

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm still pretty unsure about e.g. when to stun with my plague doctor or plague bomb the back line, or YAWHP vs just cutting a dude down as a hellion, or Guarding/Riposting as a MaA vs just smashing a nerd, or--you get the idea, when to do buff/debuffy stuff vs just straight attacking. If anyone has any guidance on that front it'd be rad

Also what sort of team can take an Abomination, I tried Jester / Occultist / Abom / Abom and it sort of worked?? I guess?? But it felt a bit edge-of-my-teeth the whole time, and I don't like having to have the Jester just so I have a stress healer. Maybe something like Arbalest / Occultist / Abom / MaA?

Finally, 0 light runs: when to do them and how to play them differently?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Has anyone seen the ending? What happens?

The Ancestor is such a sketchy guy. Talking in the present tense, alternating between being contrite and condescending... He's up to something! :cthulhu: :tinfoil: :cthulhu:

And we're working with him :kheldragar:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Huh, just found Dismas' head in a secret room.

Dismas is in my party

He is now wielding his own severed head

:unsmigghh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've still never done a Long mission. What's enough stuff to bring? I'm thinking 16 torches, 24 food, 4 shovels and 3 of everything else offhand, just based on how much I've needed for Medium missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

- CRIT! (0)
- Bleed

[one turn later]
- bleed sound
- DEATHBLOW

Haven't had that one happen yet but oh I bet that one would be just enraging