Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Jedah posted:

I agree that more enemy variety would be awesome, for sure. One relatively quick and easy way to accomplish this would be to have "evil" versions of heroes in each dungeon.

Maybe you lose a Bounty Hunter, and then a few weeks later, a jaundiced, undead looking BH shows up when you visit the Ruins. Even better if they had some custom barks, like "You bastards left me to rot." as he points at your Vestal and marks her.

Or maybe you lose a Highwayman, and the next time you visit the Warrens, he's got pig-flesh stapled to his mutilated body, and he's been completely corrupted by the swinefolk.

I'm surprised that they haven't done this already, it would be immensely fitting for the tone/aesthetic of the game. Maybe saving it for the next DLC.

Picked this up in the most recent Summer Sale and I'm definitely hooked. Even though I probably spend half my mission runs yelling 'gently caress' as one of my guys gets overstressed and/or gets crit to death. The learning curve is challenging, but not so brutal as to be discouraging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Trump is definitely the Swine King. Don't mistake him for the Ancestor, he's just a big dumb slab that randomly destroys things. Mitch McConnell brought all this.

This is art.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

What's the best way to put Aboms to use? I'm on my very first time through and I've been avoiding using them because of the stress factor but it seems like he might have utility for some of the harder boss fights.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Makaris posted:

Absolutely. The most common way to die is to bleed. And of course, failing death blow rolls.

Anyway. I like the idea of a new thread and agree with DJF. Keep the focus on the aesthetic and theme of the game, with a warning that the games challenge tends to come in large steps rather than a gradual incline. I think that is one of the major things that catch people off guard and turns them off. Games biggest weakness is having the lower difficulties train bad habits and then killing you in Veteran, then killing you harder in champ.

If you were going to put anything strategy related in the first post, should just be 'focus down there back line.

The second post can be a bunch of forum tips and guidea with some spoiler warnings.

As someone who just started playing DD like two weeks ago, this is probably what I'd prefer. Reading the OP as it is gave me enough insight into the game's mechanics and style to sell me on it (during the most recent summer sale at least), but it'd be cool to have some strategy/effortpost/info links in the second post to seek out if I'm having trouble getting the hang of a boss fight or want advice on how to optimize heros/quirks/gear/etc.

I think the thread provides a lot of great info as it is, but sometimes it takes a bit of searching to find it. Having it collated in one spot would be helpful without spoon feeding the game to newbies like myself on their first or second playthrough.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Just finished my very first run ever, on Darkest difficulty at about 150 weeks. Fired up a Stygian run and promptly bought it at 12 weeks due to some poor strategic choices and a very ill timed Collector encounter that resulted in a team wipe.

I think I erred too much on the side of "use heroes as cannon fodder" and foolishly tried to find some use for the jester and leper despite never using them at all in my first play through.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Every time I take an Occultist anywhere I always think "why the gently caress didn't I bring a Vestral instead?". The class isn't bad, he has great utility but the necessity of bringing a back- up healer is a constraint that isn't always worth dealing with. And nothing is more infuriating than getting a bunch of 0 heals in a row with bleeds to make bad situations that much worse.

I do think Abyssal Artillery and the Curse can be really useful in the later dungeons but generally he's just very situational.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The occultist as he stands is perfectly in line with the flavor and mechanics of the game; sometimes you get lucky and sweep whatever is in your path, other times you get dunked on by RNG and watch your team crumble as bad luck cascades.

I would love a fix of Wyrd Reconstruction either being "Heal 1-X" or having a provision built in that if it heals for 0 then it won't apply a bleed, but that would undermine the intentional tension of building around having an Occultist on your roster. Maybe putting it on a trinket would be a decent fix that allows folks some flexibility at the cost of some other restriction.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Did they patch the thing where if you have a full inventory you can leave a loot window open, click on firewood to initiate camping, and then collect the loot in the newly vacant slot?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I love this comic but also this party would loving wreck a Collector in like 3-4 turns.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

precision posted:

God drat those custom classes are all really cool looking, guess I should get around to trying them out

The Falconer is really fun, if limited. The Twilight Knight takes a bit of getting used to, but is basically a more versatile Leper.

They're worth tinkering around with though.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Cataphract requires CC to use? Lame. Looks very cool though, I'll catch up with it after the next Steam sale, most likely.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

That Mariner class looks :perfect:, do that one first.

Also the Rakshasa owns.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 20, 2017

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I dunno man, my Leper with both Natural Swing and Hot to Trot has been pretty drat reliable.

Picked up with CoM and CC on sale. I'm avoiding the vampire menace for now but otherwise the new stuff is very enjoyable. The balance tweaks don't seem to noticeable yet but I'm only like 3 weeks into a Darkest campaign so we'll see how things shake out.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Did they change the way that bosses are placed in dungeons? IIRC the logic used to be that the boss would almost always be in the room furthest from you, but I just did a Swine Prince run where him and Wilbur were almost right next to the entry room.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

It was an "e" shaped dungeon, with the entry point at the bottom left corner. I figured that the Swine Prince must be at the top right corner, so I fought my way up, camped and buffed up, and then...nothing. Working my way back I returned to the entry point and took the hallway towards the bottom right corner (2 rooms, then the boss). My team was beat up and stressed out but still got a win anyway.

I'm not mad about it, it adds a bit of randomness back to the game and will definitely make me think twice about bringing more scouting abilities or being a bit more careful about camping.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

https://www.forums.darkestdungeon.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=604#p811

Red Hook posted:

Introducing Color of Madness Endgame Conditions!

Once you have progressed beyond 200 Kills, the shimmering space-time of the corrupted Farmstead takes on an endgame condition, called a “Reflection.” These are mutators that increase the difficulty of the quest in different ways from that point onward.

Unbearable Reflection:
Heroes: +33% Stress Dmg Received
Heroes: -33% Stress Heal
Monsters: +4 SPD

Reflection of Decay:
Heroes: -50% Healing
Monsters: +15% PROT
Monsters: +25% Stun Resist
Monsters: +25% Debuff Resist

Sanguine Reflection:
Heroes: -8% Deathblow Resist
Monsters: +7.5% Crit
Monsters: +3 SPD

Reflection Obscura:
Heroes: -20% Stress Damage Received (a boon!)
Heroes: -20% Healing
Monsters: +10% PROT
Monsters: +25% Damage

I haven't dicked around too much in the Farmstead on my most recent run because I'm trying to get back into the swing of the game after a bit of time away but this seems...excessive.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Close the thread, there's no way to top the last two pages.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

At the Mountains of Madness-inspired sequel? :getin:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Firstborn posted:

Where the gently caress is Crusader????

Gibbering in a sanitarium in the Hamlet, faith shattered, mind broken, a walking ruination damned by his glimpse into the ravening horrors at the heart of the world.

DrManiac posted:

I don't know how they'd do it narratively but I hope all the bosses are the result of your ancestor being a dickhead again

Easy, he was funding expeditions to whatever antarctic hellscape the sequel takes place in, maybe guiding someone else's "research" along in the hopes that they would continue what he could not.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 20, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

No. Accept the inevitable, go back to the Hamlet and get a new set of disposable idiots.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I wonder if it's possible to port something like DD to mobile phones. I'll play the sequel regardless, but that seems like the natural progression of things and would open up the market for the game.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I've beaten the game once on Radiant and once on Darkest and haven't really been able to get back into it since. Taking a break amounts to basically having to relearn the game and I've not been able to make it more than a few weeks into a new save before just thinking "why am I putting myself through this?"

I do want to eventually clear CC and the Farmstead but maybe I'll just save those for a crash course right before DD2 releases.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Running through a couple playthroughs recently made me think about the plot. So the DLC establishes that the Ancestor was a murderous backstabbing rear end in a top hat long before he actually started his little venture. But they never really clarify how the Necromancy or pigdemon summoning plays into it.

The timetable is also pretty vague. We don't know exactly when he started these little hobbies, in fact for all we know he could have been up to it when he encountered the Countess (which would explain his bizarre actions at the time).

It just confuses me that the guy has an army of undead at his disposal, as well as pig monsters. But the Thing is still too much to handle? Perhaps he tried;the intro implies he saw the Thing, went insane and then unsuccessfully tried to deal with it and killed himself when he realized the futility of his efforts. But another possibility is that he actively used these resources along the way; resurrecting long dead inhabitants for information, or perhaps the Necromancy angle stated to become appealing at the point he pissed off the townsfolk and was going broke. Similarly, maybe the swine's true purpose was an effort to fight the thing by 'fighting fire with fire', wresting control of these horrible forces by binding them in physical forms of our dimension.

My interpretation was always that the various horrors we encounter as a result of the Ancestor's experiments or musings are not meant to combat the cosmic horror. Rather, that there's something about the Hamlet that provokes a sort of obsession in certain people and the Ancestor acted on that, seeking out ways to figure out what exactly was. He did it through the lens of his obsession with being entertained and/or seeking knowledge, and as a result was exposed to different facets of the eldritch monstrosity at the heart of it all - communing with "demons" to create the pigs, undoing death through necromancy, the corrupting effects of twisted natural forces, the merman as "perversions" of mankind (or vice versa), the parasitic bloodsuckers (which seem to predate the rest and maybe got him started down the path), etc. Each experiment pulls the veil back a little more and yet his mind still shatters when he gets to the final level and comprehends what is really going on, and is more directly conscripted into the cycle initiated by the thing.

There was never going to be a fight because all those monsters we face are just reflections of the cosmic horror through a different medium, so to speak. Why would they try to kill it on the order of some guy, especially some guy who couldn't even really control any of the various forces he unleashed or allied with? At best we (the player) buy some time and in a generation or two some other unlucky person will have to step in and put down another resurgence when the monster at the heart of the world starts to wake up again.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I liked that teaser but if it's not going to be on Steam then I'm probably not buying the sequel. Unfortunate.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Bloodly posted:

Is it at all clear what made the world blow up for 2?

My guess is that by disrupting the eldritch rebirth process that the Ancestor kicked off the surviving heroes also caused some sort of ripple effect where the population most attuned to otherworldly forces (i.e. religious devotees of the light) got hit with some sort of feedback or corrupting force and went insane.

If the setting is really about reaching whatever pseudo-plateau of Leng we saw in the first teaser then there's probably something there that the heroes believe will finish the job of purging the ancient evil from Earth or at least return the crazies to their senses. There will of course be some sort of twist or trap that somehow makes things even worse, just a longer time scale.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Looks extremely good, I'm in.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Heard it doesn't really work on Steam deck, no controller support OR cloud saves which is very disappointing to hear, hopefully a hotfix happens soon.

Well that explains why I couldn't get it up and running on the deck last night despite tinkering for like an hour. Hopefully they get a fix out soon.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Is there a good controller layout for the Steam Deck yet? Really want to dig in on this but the controls still seem pretty wonky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

ccubed posted:

Darkest Dungeon II - New FREE Game Mode 'Kingdoms' Coming in 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkTnnAJjJrA

Looks cool, very surprised they're doling it out for free but that works for me.

Also lol that they went with "Decency must be defended" rather than going with the classic phrase.