Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I feel like losing all the resources you buy when you win or lose is unfair. I just bought a bunch of supplies, got wrecked by bandits, and had to leave. Now I can't afford to rebuy and I'm pretty screwed.

Changing that would take away some of the strategy of the game. There'd be no pressure of trying to fit between "too little" and "too much".

EDIT: Also this game looks unstoppably baller, holy poo poo.

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

MadJackMcJack posted:

Oh thank God, I'm getting sick of an enemy group getting to smash my face in before I can even move.

Also, is this guy worth keeping, or would his bad quirks make him a detriment?

Not a perfect trait combo, but I'd stick with him if I were you. Improved Balance (Move Resist) is IMO the best possible trait for a Leper, since pushback is the one thing that fucks that class up the most. He also has Steady (Stress Resist) and Unyielding (Deathblow Resist), which are excellent. Get his rear end into therapy to get rid of most of those bad quirks.

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 7, 2015

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Necromancer is pathetic. The other two bosses easily have the potential for stuff to go wrong, but I have no idea how the Necromancer is supposed to kill anyone unless you go into the fight with terrible health. His attacks are all weak and he's not particularly robust either. His gimmick of spawning a skeleton with every attack might be a problem if he didn't summon the shittiest, weakest skeletons around. Even the tier 3 Necromancer summons are basically just speed bumps.

I think the worst the Necromancer could ever do is randomly spam his stress inducing attack every turn and make your guys go insane from it. He probably wouldn't live long enough for that to even matter though.

I lost to the Apprentice Necromancer and easily trounced all lvl 1 bosses afterward. There were a lot of misses + low damage hits on his minions when I fought him the first time, though, which really slowed me down. I got his life bar pretty far down and then one of my heroes went splat. After that I couldn't output damage fast enough to keep fighting. He was my first boss though, and I had a weak team.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Fabricated posted:

I kinda like like when negative quirks work out with some sort of theme:

Ooh, that's fun. I had an Occultist my first runthrough that had the trait combination of a Bond villain. It was something like...

Hatred of Mankind, Lurker, Meditator, Last Gasp / Egomania, Ruminator, Faithless, Phengophobia (bright light penalty)

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

What does Protection actually do? I've tried both the Leper and Crusader's defensive skill, and no way is it a simple -20% damage taken. Incoming damage drops by a lot more than that. Very often I see these guys being crit for only 1.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Time_pants posted:

Holy poo poo. I grossly underestimated If It Bleeds. The ability to consistently hit three rows for full damage-- and two of them with a spectacular Bleed effect--is just so strong. I have no idea how people can think the Hellion was nerfed to uselessness when she still has all this going for her.

Plus, it's not like the nerfed skills are even that bad now, anyway. They're just a "once or twice a battle" thing rather than the be-all, end-all of the class.

Hellion is still mighty with her damage and reach, but Breakthru isn't that great anymore.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Darkest Dungeon is far more of a game than FTL is. This is coming from someone with over 200 hours in FTL, DD has way, way more agency and control than FTL will ever have, I can enter a zone in DD and not be doomed from the very beginning without a chance, which is still an issue with FTL and unlucky starting jumps.

FTL will absolutely throw you BS unwinnable situations, but when it isn't doing that it still takes some amount of skill. More than this game, I think. Darkest Dungeon will probably turn out to be a better game though, regardless of how deep it ends up.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Devs: "we are targeting a 50/50 gender split for full release. Currently there are 4 women and 6 men"

There are unannounced classes coming before release. The known absent characters are Houndmaster (m), Man-at-Arms (m), Arbalest (f), and Merchant (?). My guess is the Merchant will probably turn out to be female, and that still leaves room for additional classes.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

LibbyM posted:

How exactly does dodge work on AoE's? When you attack enemies it gives a seperate dodge chance for every enemy, and very occasionally only one of them will dodge while the others get hit, but I've noticed that if one dodges an attack it SIGNIFICANTLY increases odds that everyone else will dodge.

Enemies have different dodge values, so the single attack roll that the game probably uses can occasionally be high enough to hit some targets but low enough to miss others.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

They've said that's the plan on their livestreams repeatedly.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Update: http://www.darkestdungeon.com/an-update-from-redhook/

quote:

CONTENT:

So what’s coming? A lot. Here are just some of the highlights:

MISC:
Hero color variants
Town Events
KS Backer-designed Trinkets, Monsters, etc

PLAYABLE CLASSES:
Man at Arms
Arbalest
Houndmaster
Merchant
Lord Tier, KS backer-designed class (available to all players – see KS page)

ADDITIONAL BOSSES:
Weald Boss: The Brigand Barricade
Ruins Boss: The Gibbering Prophet
Warrens Boss: The Formless Flesh

THE COVE:
Full set of themed Monsters
New Curios (Interactive Objects)
Cove Boss 1
Cove Boss 2

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Dackel posted:

What's the deal with those "special" party formation names? Are they fluff or a buff (or a placeholder for such)?

Fluff. Just for fun.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Gabriel Pope posted:

the pulsing squishy ones that heal have 0 prot and super low resistances, so you can turtle up and buff/heal/defend when the tougher segments are up and then go to town when a weak spot opens up.

This, IMO, is the key to getting the upper hand against the Formless Flesh. Put buff skills on every character that isn't a healer and have them all roid it up every turn the boss hides its weak points. I didn't know what to expect from this fight and had kind of a shoddy party (one character was lvl 0!), but still won because two guys happened to be a Leper with Revenge and a Hellion with Adrenaline Rush.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Highwang posted:

Been looking at a new team-comp with the new content out. Right now I have MaA/Bounty/Occult/Arb with the logic of target-loving an enemy with marks and attacks of opportunity. Inbetween the 3 dudes with marks, is the bounty hunter having a mark target somewhat redundant?

No, because the Bounty Hunter will usually get his turn before the other two.

I want to say "take mark target off the Arbalest", but honestly she's better off doing Sniper Shots all the time anyway so it doesn't matter what skills she carries.

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 31, 2015

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

What makes a good hero to keep then, and therefore keep safe and sane, as opposed to the ones I let die horribly/chuck away when they've gone barmy?

1) You can pamper heroes when you have money to blow, i.e. after you've made it out of the early game rut and started winning missions.

2) When their trait combo is just plain godly; +move resist, +melee accuracy, +hitpoints on a Leper for instance. If a guy like that gets high stress or a disease, fix his issue or let him sit on the bench for while if you don't have the money.

3) If you need a tank or especially a healer next run and the stage coach doesn't have another for you to grab. I definitely go out of my way more to help my Vestals more than any other class starting out.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

HogX posted:

Does the week count actually do anything? Or is it just there for cosmetic reasons?

You can't lose Darkest Dungeon, so if nothing else it allows people to compete and see how fast they can win the game.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Azran posted:

So we're just missing the Houndmaster and the Merchant, right?

No actually, there's one other unannounced class that's a reward for one of the big Kickstarter donors.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Azran posted:

IIRC that's supposed to be a variant of one of the base classes, right?

The backer-only variant class is a separate thing.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Next save file will be called the 'Barkest' Estate. Going to use as many Houndmasters as possible in every run.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Time_pants posted:

I feel like I have to be the rear end in a top hat here.

Does anyone else get the distinct impression that the Houndmaster isn't very good?

I think I agree. He sort of works, but since all the bad classes from before got a tune-up he's probably the weakest class in the game. Pros: That once-per-mission dog treat is freaking strong, primary attack hits anywhere and chips away at enemy PROT, camp skills are all solid, and he has good trap disarm. These things are not enough.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

are the Man-At-Arms and arbalest classes still really strong? I remember they were freakish when they first got added so maybe the designers thought to start Houndmaster off a bit slower.

Man-at-Arms: They nerfed Retribution a bunch. Right now the opening attack is weak, no longer boosts PROT (It used to do this, right?), and the counterattack doesn't stun. I think they want to make Riposte not trip against certain attacks, and the neutered opening attack will hopefully do something meaningful again in the future.

Arbalest: Same as before. Oh god does Blindfire ever suck with corpses added to the game, though.

quote:

Maybe they should split the hound and master up? Like, the hound (weakly) attacks whoever he wants and the master buff/directs/heals the hound. If you really want to get crazy give the hound it's own skill set that you choose from.

This would be cool. I'd like to see combo attacks like this: 1) The dog and guy hit a front row target together for higher damage, 2) The guy does a low-damage stun blow, then the dog attacks a random target. And maybe make Hound's Rush more accurate + more critical than these so it doesn't get replaced with combo attacks all the time.

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 16, 2015

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

may contain peanuts posted:

I feel like playing Houndmaster as a tank might secretly be really good. I ran that strategy against the Prophet and now I'm thinking it might work as a good strategy in general. +15 dodge is a lot of dodge, and it stacks, once you've done Guard Dog more than once the Houndmaster is basically not getting hit anymore.

That depends. Dodge trinkets and certain buffs/debuffs (Man-at-Arms dodge shout, Jester solo) make Guard Dog better. Lower light enemies are more accurate, so Scooby and Shaggy might not be able to guard well at all on a dark run.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

FourLeaf posted:

How good of a quirk is Fated? Is it worth paying to make it permanent?

No one knows, but people generally treat Fated like it's good. Hit chance is capped at 90%, so even very accurate characters benefit from it.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Highwang posted:

Also the lord-tier class is unveiled: Abomination.

Bleh, don't like the sound of this. They avoided putting in wizards and druids, but an overtly evil/monstrous class honestly sounds like a much bigger breach of the setting. Gotta do what the idiot who donated $5,000 says I guess!

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

Occultist - Jester - Leper - Leper

Make it work and you will know you have mastered the game.

This is not that bad of a team. Battle Ballad is especially good for Lepers to get their accuracy up. Occultist - Leper clashes somewhat due to the Leper's lower bleed resist, but the Leper's self-heal is a good way around that.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Time_pants posted:

They nerfed the poo poo out of Riposte.

Riposte lasts ~3 rounds now. It used to only go until the MaA got his turn back. The damage is lower, but riposte is pretty strong against enemies with AoE strikes (bandits) or during longer fights that you can't just burst your way through in 2-3 rounds.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Did they give the Siren a little more juice somehow? She took my roided-up Hellion, my Hellion got placed in front, performed Breakthrough, and well... :sweatdrop:

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Iron Chitlin posted:

Virtue chance is currently hidden even when looking in the game files, I suspect we may have to wait for mod tools to see what the odds actually are, much less change them.

I bet the devs hide the virtue chance because they gently caress with it. Player cruising = more likely afflicted, player floundering = the opposite. Or maybe the darkest dungeon itself rigs the affliction chance to tilt one way or the other at certain times.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Well, the level 5 necromancer was a bit nastier than his predecessors, what with him summoning Bone Generals and all. Any other level 5 bosses I should be aware of?

Champion Siren's mind control has a higher chance of success than the others. Stick with hero classes with higher debuff resist (Abomination is low on this) and bring tons of holy water--I'm talking at least 8 bottles--to the fight. She can be a very easy boss, but not when she swipes your lead damage-dealer.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

What are some worthwhile positive quirks to lock in? Dodge has been a huge lifesaver for me, so I've been locking anybody fortunate enough to gain Evasive over the course of their travels.

In addition to what Nakar wrote...

Fated is said to give a re-roll of missed attacks 50% of the time. That turns a 90% chance to hit into 94.5%, and a 70% chance to hit into 80.5%. Fated is very very good.

I would argue that Steady (10% stress resistance) is good enough to lock in, especially for a class like Vestal that isn't trying to reach maximum firepower. Photomania (20% stress resistance in radiant light) is maybe better; even when I don't think about it, it does its job because I generally keep the light at radiant whenever my team starts to get into trouble.

Clotter (+15% bleed resistance) is top of the pile. Don't know about you guys, but all my loving deaths come from these clownish godawful retarded bleed effects affixed to my heroes at the same time they get on Death's Door. Clotter makes that stupid poo poo happen less. I consider it the best possible trait for a Man-at-Arms. The anti-blight trait, by comparison, isn't really notable due to how uncommon blight is.

The regional traits can be good (especially Explorer - love me some scouting) but I don't recommend doing very many lock-ins until you're gearing up to do the Darkest Dungeon, and guess what, by then you really don't want regional traits much at all.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

The God Tier common trinket for apprentice dungeons is the dazzling charm (+20% stun).

Those Unholy/Eldritch/Beast/Man Slayer Rings are fantastic. They each correspond to a different region, and give you a big damage boost against most of the enemies you face there. I only hesitate to use them when I'm itching to hunt a Shambler in a dungeon that's not the Cove, but they have way more flexibility than Sun Rings.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

The champ dungeons are very harsh, and I'd suggest only doing champ short missions (yes, those are a thing) when you can until you can give people level 5 equipment + skills, and really nice trinkets. Even after getting everyone suited up, you might have to take a perfectly built team and run away once in a while because luck just wasn't on your side.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Snak posted:

Nymphomania is a good trait. Huh.

All-male dev team. :rolleyes:

...Did I just write that?

Wizard Styles posted:

Another reason to do the bosses is hearing more narration of faux-Lovecraft writing, which is always amazing.

I have no idea how they got a clean reading of (second tier Flesh) "I could not store such a prodigious amount of offal, nor could I rid myself of it easily, possessed as it was by unnameable things from outer spheres." out of the guy. Must have been a struggle to keep a straight face recording that.

Wayne June has done audiobooks of HP Lovecraft IIRC; faux-Lovecraft shouldn't faze him too much.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

pokie posted:

Does anyone have tips for the endgame dungeon party compositions? I beat the first level, and am not keen on grinding heroes if I fail foolishly again.

Use all three of the talismans of flame on DDQ2. You don't need them later. They protect you from a move the minibosses use.
The Man-at-Arms is the best tank for this mission. His counterattack is very good against the bosses, and his bodyguard ability can protect the one character without a talisman.
Marking heroes like the Bounty Hunter and Arbalest are likely your best option. The Houndmaster is also good, but only if he's complimenting one of those other two; he doesn't hit hard enough on his own.
I did Houndmaster / Occultist / Abomination / Man-at-Arms. It just didn't cut it; not enough damage, and while the Abomination really hauled rear end he also caused afflictions late into the level.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Lyrax posted:

I love the plague doctor but I never know what quirks to stick to her. I guess the camp healing ones since that's basically her Thing at camping?

Fated, so her effective accuracy goes above 90%. On Guard or Quickdraw so she always goes first. Quick Reflexes for better initiative, and for better odds of getting first strike if On Guard/Quickdraw aren't around. Steady or Photomania for stress defense. Unyielding. Hard Skin.

Evasive helps quite a bit until she gets to champion dungeons, but not after unless you're doing a dodge-stacking (enemy aim debuffing?) setup with your whole party.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Nakar posted:

Solo is actually a lot better than I expected it to be. I started using it in a Grave Robber Lunge group to move the Jester to the front and the -ACC debuff on all enemies is a lot stronger than the +ACC buff is on the party (granted, Battle Ballad buffs other things too). It seems like a Dodge-heavy party spamming Solo would be really powerful.

Can someone try making a dodge party like this work in Champion? I can confirm that Jester + Grave Robber + Grave Robber + an Occultist w/ Evasive trait ravages Apprentice and holds up in Veteran, but I never tried it at maximum difficulty and I get the feeling it doesn't work at that point. I'm guessing that it needs radiant light for all fights, four Camoflage Cloaks, and the Jester needs a debuff trinket for this strategy to have a chance.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

Taking the endgame at face value, the Ancestor probably stumbled upon the fact that the Earth was just a giant gestating egg waiting to hatch - in service of which humanity proved little more than a source of nutrition - and took it upon himself to expedite its birth. He committed suicide to avoid persecution for his crimes, knowing he would join with the great being in death, and prettied up his last will and testament to lure you there in the hopes of sending more fearless fools to their deaths, hastening the process.

This can't be entirely right, because the ancestor is also the one setting the goals for the Darkest Dungeon quests, opening the way for the Heart of Darkness to be killed. "Light the cultists' beacons with these candles, each made out of a human hand that was taken from a former death row inmate" - remember that? That scheme is pretty clearly the Ancestor's work. His guidance could be a whole lot less useful for someone whose only purpose is to awaken cosmic doom.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

BobMcFartsens posted:

So I played this to death after it was first released, but it looks like a bunch of poo poo has been added. Should I start a new game, or wait till more stuff is released?

Play. There aren't any content updates coming any time soon now. Town events were the last thing on the agenda to add.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

BBQ Dave posted:

I put this game down for a couple months after I lost about six champion characters to Lighting the Way in the Darkest Dungeon and that Wvulf Guy. I read what people said a bit ago on this thread about Wvuf, any tips on Lighting the Way? Squad recommendations? I want to go back and build a good team.

It's the level where you have to carry the 3 special trinkets shaped like torches.

That's the hardest dungeon in the game. These two teams are good for it...

Arbalest / Occultist / Houndmaster / Man-at-Arms
...or...
Occultist / Bounty Hunter / Houndmaster / Man-at-Arms

The Man-at-Arms especially is a must-have. He can bodyguard whoever doesn't have a protective trinket. The minibosses all have whole party attacks that they use pretty often, so his counterattack outputs tons of damage on them. He has great camp buffs for fighting, which you will need to face off against those miniboss encounters. Playing 'Lighting the Way' without this class is playing it with a handicap.

I use an Occultist rather than a Vestal for healing because 1) this is a marking team, and 2) no amount of healing can keep up with the damage in those templar fights; I'd rather he spend most of his moves contributing to offense. His mark, artillery, stab, and grab are all better moves than the Vestal's non-healer skills. Er, but you do want to keep Wyrd Reconstruction on his skill tab, in case that isn't clear.

Houndmaster does bonus damage against marked targets, and actually hits very hard if you use a Dog Treat and mark at the same time. He's also in the party to soothe stress while camping, something the other classes on this team have no aptitude for.

And finally there's an Arbalest or Bounty Hunter to lay down big damage. They're pretty equivalent; the Bounty Hunter has great stun moves to go along with his damage, while the Arbalest can shoot back rows and has a higher crit chance against marked targets (i.e. kills those wretched minibosses faster). I recommend giving two attack-boosting trinkets to this character (the BH benefits from some more ACC, while the ARB just needs damage), and having the MaA guard them during the boss fights.

Lighting the Way has a boss fight where you face two templars at once. It's pretty awful! I haven't tried it, but they say if you pull or push one of those guys to make the two bosses switch positions, both bosses fight less effectively. So the Occultist's pull move or one of the Bounty Hunter's various rearrange attacks would be decisive in that fight. You might need a Move Amulet to have good odds of shifting one of those templars. I'm not really sure.

One thing that's really helpful: After you clear out a miniboss area, walk back to the entrance of the dungeon and take one of the other forks in the road. This means fewer enemy encounters than if you go around the dungeon in a circuit. Things are much easier this way.

And it should go without saying that you want maxed out skills, equipment, supplies as well as the best trinkets you can find.

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

BBQ Dave posted:

Okay, going with Snow Job's Arbalest / Occultist / Houndmaster / Man-at-Arms squad for lighting the way. I plan on camping, then doing the big boss battle with two templars, then the one on the left of the dungeon, then the one north. I'm going to use the houndmaster's sanity heal at camp if we need it, and the rest will be damage Buffs.

After we take out the first boss well be in it for the long haul, so I'll bring extra snacks and such. We'll have to lug around the anti revelation charms, but what other trinkets should I use? Anti-Eldrich and damage buffing or more survivability?

Any help appreciated.

Arbalest: Vvulf's Tassel, Eldritch Slayer Ring. This yields maximum boss destruction.

Man-at-Arms: Cleansing Crystal. This will minimize how much your tank suffers from bleed and blight DoTs. The Flesh's Heart is also decent, but doesn't increase blight resistance (which you do want; the templars have blight).

Houndmaster: Fuseman's Matchstick. it boosts offense in several small ways with no penalty. Thankfully, his stun doesn't need any buffs to be reliable on regular enemies.

Occultist: Don't know! If you want to pull the Templar Sniper around, maybe try Cursed Incense. I haven't tried that tactic, so I don't know how good it is, or if it needs any buffs. Otherwise maybe Junia's Head (high healing boost, serious stress penalty) or Chirurgeon's Charm (lowish healing boost but no defects). You could also give him a Camoflague Cloak if he has the Evasive perk and hope he dodges a few things.

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 16, 2016