Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I remember:
-being happy Y2K didn't kill video games
-renting Diddy Kong Racing every other weekend.
-Mario Tennis and Pokemon Stadium at a friend's house after eating some really good gyros his mom made
-a lot of Age of Empires
-getting home from seeing Mission Impossible 2 and immediately running to the family room to play Donkey Kong 64.
-playing Mario Party with my friends.
-Starting my first file on Pokemon Silver while reading the new Nintendo Power and getting really hyped up for Majora's Mask and Paper Mario
-going over to another friend's house and playing Red Alert 2 every day after school for almost three months straight

When you think of gaming in the year 2000, what do you think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
playing unreal tournament the previous year and continuing to play it for the next 4 years

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Tfw I realized I spent the golden years of fast paced FPS games playing Mario and RTS..,

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Tfw I realized I spent the golden years of fast paced FPS games playing Mario and RTS..,

sounds like you aren't an old piece of poo poo who jacks off over quake or some poo poo 50 years after it's peak, this is a good thing

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I played a lot of Dreamcast and Final Fantasy IX

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

this was the year i figured out how to masturbate so i dont remember anything

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i played too much jedi academy and the moviebattles mod from 2003-2009 or so

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
i wasnt born yet op

Dec 26, 2012

pokemon for sure

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

THE PENETRATOR posted:

playing unreal tournament the previous year and continuing to play it for the next 4 years

Same for me, that and Q3A.

Great year for games, was hooked on DC for a good while.

THPS 1/2
Thief 2
No Mercy
CvS
MvC2
3rd Strike
Shenmue
Space Channel 5
Deus Ex
Code Veronica
Crazy Taxi
Gold/Silver
baldurs gate 2

Sizup
Nov 25, 2008

other than whats been mentioned ra2, diablo 2, tony hawk pro skater 2, dues ex, banjoo tooie, 2000 was a pretty go ddamn good year to be a gamer, kind of like every year is

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

hmmm i was at the tail end of my playstation phase, and was starting to get back into pc gaming with unreal tournament, deus ex, homeworld and baldur's gate

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I played Diablo 2, PS2, and Hot Wheels outside with the kid next door.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I didn't know what Quake was other than a shareware disk I ended up buying 3 times, until 2009 I believe, so I missed that boat, and UT2K4 I played the campaign of a little bit but my computer wasn't any good so it was mostly just tycoon games, maxis games, and Diablo for this hefty gamer.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Oh, and WC2 map editor and skirmish mode, and then just the WC3 map editor, once my family got that game.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My dad in that time, had a computer running specifically to host a LAN room in Diablo 2 so that when he was done messing around on Open Battle.net, he could drop off his poo poo in the room and just leave it there instead of making mules.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Edit: Whoops, thought this was about the early 2000s, but if it's just 2000 then some of the stuff I said didn't happen. Farewell.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In 2000 I got in trouble because my sister beat me in Mario Party with some last turn bullshit and I got mad and threw my controller at the wall and it made a small home, which I had to spackle and paint.

Edit: small hole*

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Small Hole.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I played Pokemon and Final Fantasy 9 a lot. I had to pretend I didn't play Pokemon because it wasn't cool to play it at my school anymore.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
golden age of jrpgs juuuuuust before they got proper voice acting

- star ocean 2
- vanguard bandits
- final fantasy 9
- threads of fate
- vagrant story
- chrono cross
- monster rancher

normally i'd say "lol weed too" but i was 12-13 and played jrpgs, if you think i even saw a blunt until i was in college you're kidding yourself

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

I played lots of really good multiplayer stuff: VOOT, MVC2, Rush 2049. thats what I remember. drinking with friends and playing stunt mode in rush 2049

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I didn't really play Vagrant Story until later when a girl I liked in high school told me to play it and then I did. It's a good game nonetheless.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think it was the year I found a Jap rom of a GBA version of Monster Rancher and I couldn't find a english one so I just played that one and tried to remember what all the symbols meant, and actually got fairly far in it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Might of been Monster Rancher 3 I believe.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

golden age of jrpgs juuuuuust before they got proper voice acting

It really was, in 2000 I played FF8, SO2, Chrono Cross, Lunar SSSC, and I think Suikoden 1 & 2. I remember borrowing Fear Effect and the first Dead or Alive also.

On the PC front there was Half-Life and Opposing Force, plus lots of demos.

How did I do all that? There really was more time then.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I powerbombed one of my cousins w/ a custom y2k themed character in Wrestlemania 2k when the ball dropped.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Convincing my mum to buy a ps2 on launch to put away for christmas and then sneaking it out when she was at work everyday to play.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

in 2000 i gave my GameFAQs info to a friend so she could get karma for me while i went on a camping trip w/my family

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate 2. I still play these games and yes, I know I'm deranged.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

in 2000 i gave my GameFAQs info to a friend so she could get karma for me while i went on a camping trip w/my family

lol

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

drat, that's some serious dedication.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played the Half-Life demo because my parents hated to buy me games until I was older.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I was still playing Wild Arms 2 and Legend of Mana at that time OP.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I was probably playing N64 games all day every day.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I don't remember anything about the year specifically but my friends and I played the poo poo out of diddy kong racing even though we never actually beat the game and unlocked everything

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It was the golden age for those three genres and I'm glad I didnt miss them

I didnt play any JRPG of that era but no big loss

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

qnqnx posted:

It was the golden age for those three genres and I'm glad I didnt miss them

I didnt play any JRPG of that era but no big loss

There were some fun JRPG's that came out then but most of them haven't aged very well graphics wise unless they made heavy sprite use. That was like the golden age of enhanced sprites, the early 2000's. You had games like BoF3 and IV that had beautiful spritework.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i grew up poor + jus a kid then so i had a "chipped" ps1 which basicaly means one hacked to play isos or something. some guy used to viist + sell pirated dvds etc out the back of his car and we got all the pirated ps1 games we played from him for like 3 bux ea. also i was one of 2 ppl who had a ps1 in my neighborhood so every1 used to come over once a week + play like vigilante 8 and wwf smackdown and stuff. some of the games had cheat engine stuff coded into them for some reason. anwyay i had like 200 ps1 games lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
my fav games were tombi (tomba in america? ), gran turismo 2, ridge racer type 4, ff9, and tekken 3.

• Locked thread