Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My fiancee and I are getting married this July. We were thinking roughly a 5-day honeymoon, $5,000 or so, somewhere secluded and romantic. Ideally a nice bed and breakfast, or somewhere in the mountains. A place where we could do day hikes and get good food would be ideal. We've been looking into places in Vermont, or Colorado, but so far nothing's really stood out to us.

Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Fly Molo posted:

My fiancee and I are getting married this July. We were thinking roughly a 5-day honeymoon, $5,000 or so, somewhere secluded and romantic. Ideally a nice bed and breakfast, or somewhere in the mountains. A place where we could do day hikes and get good food would be ideal. We've been looking into places in Vermont, or Colorado, but so far nothing's really stood out to us.

Any recommendations?

We're honeymooning in Yosemite at the Tenaya Lodge this June, staying in a cottage room. I think it might work for you. Its got restaurants and pools and hiking and lots of space.
Also, alcohol.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 31, 2015

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Crater Lake Oregon, IMO.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

We're honeymooning in Yosemite at the Tenaya Lodge this June, staying in a cottage room. I think it might work for you. Its got restaurants and pools and hiking and lots of space.
Also, alcohol.

Seconding Yosemite. Absolutely gorgeous. That time of year I would recommend avoiding the valley, other than checking it out for a day, due to the temperature and crowds. The place you want to be during that time of year is Tuolumne Meadows. It's higher up so it's cooler, and although it will be busy, not nearly as bad as the valley. But definitely spend a day or two at the valley, the sights are beautiful and iconic. Just don't stay there.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
My wife and I did a low key honeymoon in the Finger Lakes region in New York. We got a cottage on lake Cayuga and spent a week driving around the region, checking out local restaurants, canoeing around the lake, hiking, and winery touring. We had originally planned on some big blowout trip, but just chilling out in a beautiful area without trying to be the Amazing Adventure Duo was actually quite relaxing, which is exactly what we needed after the hectic leadup to the wedding. Probably our favorite part is that we came back with a couple cases of wine which we've been bringing out for special occasions, like a reminder of the trip.

It's a matter of personal preference, but I'd definitely go for something where you have your own cottage/space to yourself, rather than just a hotel room somewhere.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Definitely go somewhere low-key and secluded because you're going to want to de-stress and decompress after the craziness of the wedding. We didn't have time to do a real honeymoon after our wedding (we finally just booked it a year later :dance:) but we still jetted out of town for a couple days after the wedding just to get away from everyone.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Fly Molo posted:

Any recommendations?

To throw a different option at you, the Smokies are pretty great. There are plenty of cabin options, inexpensive or expensive, and you'd have the ability to veer off into a touristy section like Pigeon Forge (Dollywood and Dinnershow land) or Gatlinburg as well in less than a 30 minute drive from pretty much anywhere you'd be likely to stay, if you wanted to mix it up. Hiking in the Smokies is pretty great, too, though it is quite a different feel from what you'd see out in Colorado. $5k in the Smokies would go a REALLY long way---though obviously just because you have it doesn't mean you SHOULD spend it.

As far as rental places, check out Airbnb. See the link in my custom title for an explanation on airbnb and discount code if you find a place you'd like. I've had great luck with that website traveling through both the States and Europe both, and highly recommend it as a guest. Note: I host a place towards downtown Knoxville (1 hr drive to Smokies), and am NOT looking to hock my own place (I actually have a long term rental through the summer). Its just a great travel website, and worth looking into. VRBO would also be a worthwhile site to look at if you'd be interested in getting a rental cabin/house rented to yourself, as well.

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
In Colorado the ski resorts are still open and look for various ways to attract people over the summer. There are music and film festivals at different times, or just hiking/biking and decent hotels with decent restaurants and spas.

• Locked thread