Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Seaside Loafer posted:

In the scheme of things not many people probably saw that interview, if she kicks arse in the debate it would be good. It annoys me that that goofy debate might have so much impact.

Most people are busy doing other stuff in their lives than watching politics. It is a sad fact that most people will just pick up ideas whole hog from the paper and go "that sounds about right". Can't say I don't empathise though, when we look at the sheer loving mess our politics is and will most likely remain for the next decade or so at minimum it is all too easy to just switch off and decide to do something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

Mincome would only serve to mitigate the worst excesses of capitalism without actually addressing the causes of what makes it a necessity - the capitalist classes being unwilling and/or unable to pay the worker a fair wage due to pressures of the market, and greed and spitefulness.

A more sensible solution might be the permanent liquidation of the bourgeoisie as a class and the seizure of the means of production by the proletariat.

But it does make an excellent transitional demand, since it goes some way to divorcing work from wages. Once you start down that path, you start asking about what work is necessary, undermining the inherent "worth" of work for its own sake...

Of course there's plenty of ways that it could be warped into a form of repression I'm sure, as you say it's important it is only a means to an end.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Which is more a problem with Sebzilla's post really, but that's also how I initially interpreted Oberleutnant's mention of liquidation even though he never explicitly mentioned killing anyone, which means I've seen the same "joke" too many times and it's starting to warp my brain. :psypop:

Definitely put those quotes around the word joke there, otherwise people might not realise I was unironically suggesting a policy of turning the capitalist class into a delicious smoothie.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

NOT!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This 20th century Marxist rhetoric is starting to get real fuckin tiresome.

Belated congratulations on your 30th birthday.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Way to take it personally "seb", if that IS your real name :catstare:

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I'm sorry but I dont really buy the criticism of Andrew Neil's questioning technique at all, he was exactly as he always is when he's interviewing someone who seems like they dont know what they're talking about. Seriously compare how he interviewed her to a lot of Paxman's interviews they pale in comparison.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Looks like the Government are going to war again:

BBC News posted:

All children in England will need to know up to their 12 times table when they leave primary school under plans announced by the education secretary.
And Nicky Morgan told the Sunday Times pupils aged 11 should know correct punctuation, spelling and grammar.
"Getting English and maths right has to be at the core of our education system," she told the BBC.
Labour said the "surest way" to raise standards was to improve the quality of teaching in the classroom.

"The speed with which we slid down international league tables under the previous government is one of the starkest examples of their failure.
"Returning us to our rightful place will be a symbol of our success. To achieve this, we will launch a war on illiteracy and innumeracy."

Nicky Morgan wants England's place in international education league tables to soar.
Mrs Morgan said: "We will expect every pupil by the age of 11 to know their times tables off by heart, to perform long division and complex multiplication and to be able to read a novel.
"They should be able to write a short story with accurate punctuation, spelling and grammar.

Nice to see some good old imperial language again.

This whole article is just one big :ughh:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Do most children not know their basic times tables by the time they get to secondary education then? Because if so :stare:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

KKKlean Energy posted:

That's not a reason not to have it. Would you have been against the minimum wage because "it's just the minimum though lol" and didn't go far enough to reach the desired effect of full communism? Because I rather detest these "all or nothing" political outlooks.

I realise you're not seriousposting but I'm going to seriouspost your sillypost, what are you gonna do about it (ignore me probably, fair enough I think)

I don't think there's a major cognitive dissonance in believing that a Mincome will make a positive difference to the worst off in society, while simultaneously believing it's just a band-aid stuck on a gaping chest wound. It'll (hopefully) stop people from starving, and that's good. But it's giving people just enough so that they're afraid to lose it, without addressing significantly the economic system which demands they are unemployed reserve labour, or employed but not paid a wage on which they can live to begin with.

nuzak posted:

But it does make an excellent transitional demand, since it goes some way to divorcing work from wages. Once you start down that path, you start asking about what work is necessary, undermining the inherent "worth" of work for its own sake...

Of course there's plenty of ways that it could be warped into a form of repression I'm sure, as you say it's important it is only a means to an end.
I hope this turns out to be true. Bertrand Russell was bitching about "work ethic" in the 30s though, and nobody seemed to listen to him.
The Reformation has a lot to answer for.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Carlyle too - he really sold the Victorians hard on that virtue of work spiel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Do most children not know their basic times tables by the time they get to secondary education then? Because if so :stare:

I never memorised mine, on account of having this thing called a calculator to do arithmetic for me. Being able to do mental arithmetic is useful but not really necessary, considering any serious mathematical work will require a calculator anyway.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
The worst thing about that Bennett interview is people that that ideologically agree with the Green's policies backing away from the party due to her not being to explain them in an aggressive interview, rather than any real disagreement with the policies as such.

Basically it's saying that a party with crap ideology and a good PR strategy is better than a party with good ideology and a bad interview. Not to mention the emphasis on a single member, which further buys into the whole political culture that lead to Miliband eating a bacon sandwich being a new story.

It's saying that it's better to have a party that can sell lovely policies well than a party that needs to learn to sell good policies better.

I'm not so naive as to think that perception and electability isn't important in politics, but it amazes me to see people that as ostensibly interested in social policy to suddenly claim that the interview means that the Greens are a total joke, rather than just keeping it to the reasonable criticism that Bennett needs to step up her TV interview debating technique.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I think a lot of the people ITT think the Greens are fruit-loops as well.

I simply could never vote for greens because they're anti-nukes (in both senses).

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'd say the lofty status that the Green Party reaches is that of "the least worst party". Not that my vote matters in my area anyway, but theres no way I'm voting for Labour.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

I never really gave it much thought during the interview since it was going so badly, but lol why did they make an Australian the leader of their party? Thats going to tank them even more than if all the TV appearances are as bad as this one.
Australia voted for a party led by a Brit though. Does that only work because he's an awful neoliberal poo poo?

serious gaylord posted:

This comes up in other threads whenever Common Core (the new US barebones national curriculum type thing) comes up and conservatives get mad, but forcing kids to memorize their times tables without knowing how they work is a pointless waste of time, and modern methods of instruction are moving towards teaching kids the how.
For example, instead of mindless rote repetition of "one times twelve is twelve, two times twelve is twenty-four" which is only really useful for converting between feet and inches, you teach kids that the twelve times table is just the ten times table plus the two times table. Eight times twelve? Well I know eight times two is sixteen, and I know eight times ten is eighty, so add those together and you get ninety-six.
You're now teaching kids about relations between numbers, which works as an intro to basic algebra and number theory.
Of course, a significant wedge of the US right wing hate it because it's new and different and Obama thought of it, and kids should go back to rote memorization instead of thinking. It's :psyduck: to see what is ostensibly the left-wing of the major UK parties agreeing with them.

e: Wait no, it was the Tories who want to enforce that backasswardsness, crisis averted. Labour still seem reluctant for any kind of education reform in that area though.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 1, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

Not that my vote matters in my area anyway, but theres no way I'm voting for Labour.

Tell me about it. I'd have to start a campaign of genocide to stop my constituency voting Conservative.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Much as they're a bunch of idiots, considering there isn't really any alternative, I might have to vote labour out of civic duty to try and keep the tories out.

I do wish we could actually vote for the policies we like.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Reading Uni chat, I went in 04 and Big Kev Warwick used to give lectures which consisted of showing videos of himself on the telly. He was a massive cock. There were a vast assortment of loving bumboxes in that department, but doing purist EE I didn't have to deal with too many comp sci fedora freaks.

Also, Wessex Hall represent - if you were there 04-07 at any point I probs know you irl!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

OwlFancier posted:

I might have to vote labour out of civic duty to try and keep the tories out.

Oh man I don't wanna spoil the ending for you...

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Hobo posted:

The worst thing about that Bennett interview is people that that ideologically agree with the Green's policies backing away from the party due to her not being to explain them in an aggressive interview, rather than any real disagreement with the policies as such.

Basically it's saying that a party with crap ideology and a good PR strategy is better than a party with good ideology and a bad interview. Not to mention the emphasis on a single member, which further buys into the whole political culture that lead to Miliband eating a bacon sandwich being a new story.

It's saying that it's better to have a party that can sell lovely policies well than a party that needs to learn to sell good policies better.

I'm not so naive as to think that perception and electability isn't important in politics, but it amazes me to see people that as ostensibly interested in social policy to suddenly claim that the interview means that the Greens are a total joke, rather than just keeping it to the reasonable criticism that Bennett needs to step up her TV interview debating technique.

This misses the point that there are lots of people who are unconvinced by the Greens' policies. Lots of people are sympathetic to their worldview in a very broad sense (inequality bad, climate change bad, being kind good, etc.) but for lots of people there's a suspicion that the Greens are well-intentioned but ultimately flimsy. The Bennett interview definitely feeds that suspicion. It's not just a case of lack of style: the worry is that there's a genuine lack of substance as well.

I'm quite involved with some local community projects where I live and because they have a social justice/eco-friendly edge to them, a lot of the people involved have links to the Greens. They're almost universally very nice people, but talking to them about politics does tend to reinforce the 'lack of substance' impression. Lots of pro-homeopathy, anti-nuclear, pro-we would all be happier if everyone lived on organic farming communes!-type stuff. You also often see a lot of bitterness about politics and lots of populist anti-establishment thinking. That's understandable in many cases, and it's obviously not unique to the Greens because it reflects the mood in the country at the moment, but it always makes me cautious. It always boils down to an unrealistic appraisal of the way things actually are and the way politics actually works (lots of conspiracy-type thinking) combined with an unrealistically optimistic view about how easy it would be solve all the country's problems if only we could overthrow the Establishment. The Bennett interview supports the hypothesis that a lot of their proposals haven't been thought through very carefully.

Whitefish fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 1, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

OwlFancier posted:

I never memorised mine, on account of having this thing called a calculator to do arithmetic for me. Being able to do mental arithmetic is useful but not really necessary, considering any serious mathematical work will require a calculator anyway.

Rote memorization of times tables is as useful in maths as memorizing a poem is in literary analysis.
What does anyone gain from being able to recite times tables?
Wouldn't it be more fruitful to teach them that maths is a way of solving real-life problems through numbers?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 1, 2015

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Whitefish posted:

This misses the point that there are lots of people who are unconvinced by the Greens' policies. Lots of people are sympathetic to their worldview in a very broad sense (inequality bad, climate change bad, being kind good, etc.) but for lots of people there's a suspicion that the Greens are well-intentioned but ultimately flimsy. The Bennett interview definitely feeds that suspicion. It's not just a case of lack of style: the worry is that there's a genuine lack of substance as well.

I'm quite involved with some local community projects where I live and because they have a social justice/eco-friendly edge to them, a lot of the people involved have links to the Greens. They're almost universally very nice people, but talking to them about politics does tend to reinforce the 'lack of substance' impression. Lots of pro-homeopathy, anti-nuclear, pro-we would all be happier if everyone lived on organic farming communes!-type stuff. You also often see a lot of bitterness about politics and lots of populist anti-establishment thinking. That's understandable in many cases, and it's obviously not unique to the Greens because it reflects the mood in the country at the moment, but it always makes me cautious. It always boils down to an unrealistic appraisal of the way things actually are and the way politics actually works (lots of conspiracy-type thinking) combined with an unrealistically optimistic view about how easy it would be solve all the country's problems if only we could overthrow the Establishment. The Bennett interview supports the hypothesis that a lot of their proposals haven't been thought through very carefully.

I can sympathise with that view, and if that was the state of the party currently, I would have similar concerns, but there has been a massive shift the in the composition of the membership and subsequently policy and strategy. There's still a few lingering policies that are driven by fear and tradition (the anti-nuclear energy stance being the prime example), but that's shifting rapidly. This article goes in the recent history of the Greens and is well worth a read - The history of a political surge.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Hobo posted:

I can sympathise with that view, and if that was the state of the party currently, I would have similar concerns, but there has been a massive shift the in the composition of the membership and subsequently policy and strategy. There's still a few lingering policies that are driven by fear and tradition (the anti-nuclear energy stance being the prime example), but that's shifting rapidly. This article goes in the recent history of the Greens and is well worth a read - The history of a political surge.

Thanks, that's an interesting article. I definitely hope the Greens continue on their more serious trajectory. It's good for British politics if they are able to articulate a serious set of alternative policies. They've clearly come a long way in a relatively short time so hopefully that progress with continue.

I hope the election result is such that the Greens are able to have some influence over Parliament and the Government. It would be interesting to see now they use that kind of power. It's probably unlikely though, given that they're only going to get a few MPs at most.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Rote memorization of times tables is as useful in maths as memorizing a poem is in literary analysis.
What does anyone gain from being able to recite times tables?
Wouldn't it be more fruitful to teach them that maths is a way of solving real-life problems through numbers?

It's often pretty useful! For any situation where you need to do a quick sum in your head, it's handy to just know what eg 8 x 6 is without having to think about it.

The "call" for kids to know their times tables is just a bit of headline-grabbing nonsense, though. It's not like anybody's going to disagree and say: "well actually, kids shouldn't have to know these things!"

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Bozza posted:

Reading Uni chat, I went in 04 and Big Kev Warwick used to give lectures which consisted of showing videos of himself on the telly. He was a massive cock.

This pretty much sums up every view I hear about Kev Warwick as well (04-07 guy here too). Ahh the heady old days. Then we got a VC who looked like Kilroy and it all went down hill.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Whitefish posted:

I agree with your critique but even when the Greens do have generally good ideas rather than intentions they run into the Serious Person problem. The general sense of crisis we face has been warped into a common knowledge "fact" that sadly large chunks of society have to be screwed over. As we saw with SYRIZA one of the key lines of attack was that yes it all sounds very nice but sadly basic decency just isn't realistic.

This means that parties like the Greens get reflexively dismissed by members of the public because they're even trying to propose positive policies, "good intentions" aren't enough. On the other hand bad intentions are taken as granted when it comes to proposed policies. A tax raise for the rich can be dismissed out of hand by right wingers because they'd just move away or find another loophole or whatever. Good thing won't work/nasty thing will work get far less scrutiny than good thing will work.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Just seen this retarded poo poo in my local shopping precinct lmao:

Apparently its there because no fucker is retarded enough to call or talk to the filth, so they made this like a year ago, so they made a cofee shop where there's a pig hanging around once a week to listen to your problems.
I never go into the precinct because I don't even get home from work till about 7pm but looool I live in a gaping goatse shithole.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Should have called it Cops of Coffee. What a tragic waste of a pun :dawkins101:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Umiapik posted:

It's often pretty useful! For any situation where you need to do a quick sum in your head, it's handy to just know what eg 8 x 6 is without having to think about it.

The "call" for kids to know their times tables is just a bit of headline-grabbing nonsense, though. It's not like anybody's going to disagree and say: "well actually, kids shouldn't have to know these things!"

The call is for them to be tested on them, not just to learn them. I would rather have kids who know 1-5 and 7 times tables but haven't quite got the shortcuts to the rest down yet, than kids who can parrot out all the way up to 12x12 but don't grasp arithmetic well enough to start working with indices yet. This just feels like a way to write kids off before they even become teenagers, which used to be so much easier when we still had the 11+.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Grounds for A Rest

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
For real tho how am I going to enjoy my (presumably instant) coffee with the filth hanging around in the room.

I might have to take a Tuesday off work just to see what this poo poo is about/

KKKlean Energy posted:

Grounds for A Rest

lmbo

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Natalie Bennet is doing an AMA on Reddit right now: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2uez88/i_am_natalie_bennett_leader_of_the_green_party_of/
The current top question is about their nuke policy.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Crashbee posted:

Natalie Bennet is doing an AMA on Reddit right now: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2uez88/i_am_natalie_bennett_leader_of_the_green_party_of/
The current top question is about their nuke policy.

I'm expecting a car crash, and thus far it appears that they are meeting my expectations. :munch:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Delusibeta posted:

I'm expecting a car crash, and thus far it appears that they are meeting my expectations. :munch:

I don't see how - she's only answered two questions thus far, and both replies have been pretty reasonable. In fact there's also discussion that a notable section of the Greens wants their nuclear policy changed, which means it's one of the best things I've seen from them in awhile, because their position on science issues like that is my big sticking point with them, as it is with many others.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Umiapik posted:

I know but it's more important to learn how maths works instead of a do this and this result comes up.
The 'why' is much more important than the result.

In fact that's true of all subjects.
I don't know. Maybe I have an overly romanticized view of what schools should be in the pursuit of knowledge.

(slight beer talk: Guinness Dublin porter is rank.)

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Delusibeta posted:

Eh, the highlight so far has been the Lib Dem clevering off about how a focus on issues facing female prisoners is sexist and then having it pointed out to them a Lib Dem MoJ minister has said the same thing.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Eh, the highlight so far has been the Lib Dem clevering off about how a focus on issues facing female prisoners is sexist and then having it pointed out to them a Lib Dem MoJ minister has said the same thing.

I saw that issue come up, reddit never disappoints.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I know but it's more important to learn how maths works instead of a do this and this result comes up.
The 'why' is much more important than the result.

In fact that's true of all subjects.
I don't know. Maybe I have an overly romanticized view of what schools should be in the pursuit of knowledge.
This was one of my biggest hates with Gove. I was taught history through the framework of source analysis, overcoming bias, and presenting an argument even at early level. These are things that serve kids well in later life even if they never again need to know the causes of the Industrial Revolution.
Changing that back to memorizing lists of kings is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

(slight beer talk: Guinness Dublin porter is rank.)

All Guinness is rank.

• Locked thread