Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't drink but most everyone I've known does. Are there a few boozes of quality I should keep on hand for those occasions when someone says they want a drink and they don't mean water? Seems like a reasonable thing to keep in my cupboard but I wouldn't want to accidentally buy something noxious due to my ignorance. In the past people have asked me about whiskey and tequila and all I had was an old bottle of Skyy vodka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Everybody's tastes vary, so it's hard to recommend a silver bullet that will please any guest. The cocktail thread could probably help out (here's the link as it's fallen off the first page: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438778).

Personally, in your situation I would just pick up a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black if you don't drink enough to make stocking a full home bar worthwhile. Other quality options that should be easy to find and won't break the bank include

Rye: Rittenhouse or Bulleit
Bourbon: Old Grand-dad, Wild Turkey, Four Roses
Gin: Beefeater, Bombay (I prefer regular to Sapphire)
Vodka: literally doesn't matter, I usually just get Smirnoff

Can't really help you with tequila since I don't drink it very often, but I recall Herradura being decent.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't drink but most everyone I've known does. Are there a few boozes of quality I should keep on hand for those occasions when someone says they want a drink and they don't mean water? Seems like a reasonable thing to keep in my cupboard but I wouldn't want to accidentally buy something noxious due to my ignorance. In the past people have asked me about whiskey and tequila and all I had was an old bottle of Skyy vodka.

Why don't you just ask your friends who do drink what they like and get that?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Why don't you just ask your friends who do drink what they like and get that?

This. And maybe grab a sixer of Sak Adams Boston lager to peave in the fridge. It is cheapish and many drinkers at any level are perfectly happy to have one. If it is getting close to the use by, cook with it and grab another.

If you just want a super basic bar:

Whiskey - Sweet, ubiquitous bourbon like Maker's Mark. Whiskey fans can accept it fine and it is pretty neutral to the generic whiskey crowd and is a good compromise bourbon. Mixes fine and okay neat at a middling price. If you don't mind dropping some more coin, Woodford Reserve is quite a bit better for not that much more money and is also easily available anywhere.

Scotch - Johnny Walker black label is about as cheap as you can confidently serve neat but not waste money if your guest wants to mix with it. Most people "dislike" Scotch, so tuck it low in priority.

Gin - Beefeater or Bombay with the white label as cheapest. Skip if your guests are unwashed heathens and call it a pine tree in a bottle.

Vodka - A big bottle of cheapish Luksusowa and call it a day.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thank you all. I figured it was sort of like building a basic wardrobe.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'd also recommend getting:

some brandy -- Paul Masson will do if you don't want to shell out for cognac/armagnac
Angostura bitters
maybe some rum?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
All of you recommending gin that isn't Gordon's are recommending the wring gin.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I can't taste the difference between Gordon's and Bombay Sapphire unless drunk neat and I'm a bit fan of gin and tonics. I also can't taste the difference between Aldi own brand gin and Gordon's. If Hendricks isn't that much more expensive its not a dry gin and tastes amazing

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That is a funny way of spelling Tanqueray. 1.75l bottles are currently $17 at my local Costco!

Not that the OP needs a 1.75l bottle just for friends...

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Seagram's > Gordon's :colbert:

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Butch Cassidy posted:

This. And maybe grab a sixer of Sak Adams Boston lager to peave in the fridge. It is cheapish and many drinkers at any level are perfectly happy to have one. If it is getting close to the use by, cook with it and grab another.

If you just want a super basic bar:

Whiskey - Sweet, ubiquitous bourbon like Maker's Mark. Whiskey fans can accept it fine and it is pretty neutral to the generic whiskey crowd and is a good compromise bourbon. Mixes fine and okay neat at a middling price. If you don't mind dropping some more coin, Woodford Reserve is quite a bit better for not that much more money and is also easily available anywhere.

Scotch - Johnny Walker black label is about as cheap as you can confidently serve neat but not waste money if your guest wants to mix with it. Most people "dislike" Scotch, so tuck it low in priority.

Gin - Beefeater or Bombay with the white label as cheapest. Skip if your guests are unwashed heathens and call it a pine tree in a bottle.

Vodka - A big bottle of cheapish Luksusowa and call it a day.

This sounds similar to the load I used to keep on hand 24/7 with a few hidden personal items kept in hiding. Would like to start keeping on hand again sometime in the future.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Butch Cassidy posted:

Seagram's > Gordon's :colbert:

:stare:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This man knows the score. For a gin and tonic (AKA, 95% of your home gin needs) Gordon's is the bomb.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://vine.co/v/Oj3Hve1TXtK

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
Captain Morgan somethingorother rum
Stoli Vodka
Seagram's 7
Disaronno or Kahlua or baileys if you are feeling fancy.
Nobody without a beard and a fixie drinks gin

Those are basic and cheap. Anyone who wants a drink can make something good with em.

Dirty Beluga fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 2, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Dirty Beluga posted:

:dealwithit:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I have the beard and wear all of the plaid but my funbike is a carbon fiber roadie with 105 gearing and shifters :colbert:

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Really depends but here's our bar:
Vodka: Sky, its the best bang for the buck around here, about $20/1.5L
Whiskey: You really should have a few different types, at the very least:
-Bourbon: Buffalo trace is excellent and can be had for ~$22/750mL. Otherwise Woodford Reserve/Makers.
-Scotch: J&W Blend and Dewars white label are budget neat-drinkable scotches.
-Rye: Bulleit is the go-to here.
Gin: Can't beat Tanqueray for martinis or G&Ts
Rum: People will have wildly different expectations here, cruzan I've found to be affordable and pleasant. If you want to be fancy, angostura makes a 5yr rum for like $17.99 that's pretty nice.
Tequila: El Jimador is easy to drink and cheap(ish). About $20-25 at least around here.

Mixes: Sweet & sour, bitters, a jar of maraschino cherries, triple sec and you should be covered for emergency margaritas and old fashioned's. I like having soda water on hand as well, sprite/7up is just too much sugar for me usually.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Another thing on the rye - Bulleit is good. Sazerac is my very favourite (six year for every day drinking, 18 for special occasions). But the one rye I always have no matter what is Old Overholt. Don't listen to the haters about that last one.

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007
If they are our brothers, why can't we eat them?--12 Famous Buddha Minds School
A good basic bar should have a gin, a vodka, a whiskey, and a brandy, bitters, soda, tonic, and dry and sweet vermouth. Those ingredients alone will make dozens of classic cocktails. Add in a few other things and you have a very nice bar going.

Bourbon: Buffalo Trace or Elijah Craig 12 yr
Gin: Gordon's or Bombay (regular not sapphire)
Rye: Sazerac or Old Overholt
Brandy: Any better domestic if you're in the States. I like Paul Masson XO.
Vodka: There are a lot of good moderately priced vodkas. Unless you're drinking them straight up, it doesn't matter which one you buy.
Tequila: for drinking, Herradura Anejo, for mixing, Sauza
Liqueurs: an Irish Cream, a coffee liqueur like Khalua, maybe Campari or creme de menthe depending on what people like
Aperetiefs: Dry Vermouth, Sweet Vermouth, tawny Port

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Dirty Beluga posted:

Captain Morgan

It's strictly personal preference, like most of this thread, but I'd avoid captain morgan and other spiced rums in favor of a 'gold' rum, even a cheap one

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Dirty Beluga posted:

Heh, look at how wrong you are! Ransom's Old Tom is my current favorite spirit by far.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

If your guests are into fruity styled drinks, I'd also suggest some midori. There aren't enough rums getting love in the thread. Kraken is alright and enough of a known name that most people will accept it, I enjoy captain Morgan's as well.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Wizard of Smart posted:

If your guests are into fruity styled drinks, I'd also suggest some midori. There aren't enough rums getting love in the thread. Kraken is alright and enough of a known name that most people will accept it, I enjoy captain Morgan's as well.

look for Plantation 5 year if you can find it

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Haverchuck posted:

look for Plantation 5 year if you can find it
^^^This is a good rum.

DT, There's a pretty great rum thread in this very forum too! Lots of good rum advice if you want to appear in the know and maybe open your friends up to some new exciting drinks.

Edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551855&pagenumber=1&perpage=40 the rum thread!

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 3, 2015

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Wizard of Smart posted:

There's a pretty great rum thread in this very forum too! Lots of good rum advice if you want to appear in the know and maybe open your friends up to some new exciting drinks.

I'm sure those guys know way more than me, I was just throwing out my old favorite but I havent seen it in a long time so i was hoping somebody might spot it

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I hadn't thought of liqueurs. My parents always had those around for when they had parties. This thread is great!

I should buy all of this at one time so the person at checkout thinks I'm going on a massive bender.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Haverchuck posted:

I'm sure those guys know way more than me, I was just throwing out my old favorite but I havent seen it in a long time so i was hoping somebody might spot it
I was quoting you to agree with you but I'm on a greyhound at 2am so that didn't come across! I'm gonna edit that post to be clearer.

Dick Trauma posted:

I hadn't thought of liqueurs. My parents always had those around for when they had parties. This thread is great!

I should buy all of this at one time so the person at checkout thinks I'm going on a massive bender.

And then invite them for "a cocktail after your shift."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
With the caveat upfront that if you don't drink my advice is not to bother stocking a bar at all: To my mind the standard, minimal basic bar is vodka, gin, rum, tequila, and blended whiskey. You can get whatever you want but some names you recognize -- not necessarily expensive ones, just ones you recognize -- will usually be an acceptable, non-awful level of stock liquor for a bar for guests. If it's something you drink, then buy whichever one you like, and your friends can deal with it. You can get brandy or whatever too but it's not necessarily something people just assume you have. If you and your friends never drink something, even something from the standard list, don't bother. I don't think I've bought blended whiskey for my home bar in my life and I don't really keep vodka on hand anymore either, but I always keep bourbon on hand.

Past that, liqueurs are a gigantic category. There are some common additions, but there's nothing you have to have. You can't possibly be expected to keep everything your friends might want on hand and if you go down that rabbit hole you'll need a separate room for all your booze. Same goes for other additions like bitters.

Any thread like this is going to get people telling you to buy whatever very specific thing they like. No, you don't need Midori. No, you don't need rye. You don't, in fact, need any of this poo poo. If you're dead set on stocking a bar for guests, and they're regular guests, do what Tiggum said and ask them what they'd like.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I agree. Keep a couple mid-shelf liquors on hand. Gin, whiskey, rum. Maybe tequila and/or vodka if want to splurge. Shoot for $25-35/750mL or so. Keep some mixers that won't go bad or that you'll also use for cooking. Lemon and lime juice in bottles, if you don't keep fresh lemons on hand. Simple syrup (add a shot of vodka and it'll keep forever). A couple small cans of soda and tonic water. If they want more specific or fancier/fresher poo poo, they can pay for it themselves.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jose posted:

I can't taste the difference between Gordon's and Bombay Sapphire unless drunk neat and I'm a bit fan of gin and tonics. I also can't taste the difference between Aldi own brand gin and Gordon's. If Hendricks isn't that much more expensive its not a dry gin and tastes amazing

Bombay Sapphire is more oily, Gordon's is more rough. Plymouth gin is magical.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Gordon's is good cheap gin, Gilbey's is good cheap gin. Tanqueray has a premium for what should be a well gin.

Whiskey wise, it can't hurt to keep a bottle of Tullamore Dew around, either. It's pretty reasonable for mass-produced Irish blends, but a hell of a lot better tasting than most in the same cost, and it keeps well.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Just keep some beers in the fridge. If friends will want something specific to drink you can ask them what they want in advance or you can ask them to bring it. If it's a spur-of-the-moment drink they'll be happy with whatever you have on hand unless it's like, Keystone Lite, or if they're particularly snobby. If you're determined to be the best host ever ask what they like or see what they order at bars and keep it on hand. You don't need a full service bar Stocked with sours and clamato juice unless you want to go full blown bartender in training.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

guppy posted:

With the caveat upfront that if you don't drink my advice is not to bother stocking a bar at all

I've almost posted this 2 or 3 times, but always just ended up sounding like a dick.

If you don't drink, your friends aren't coming over to your house expecting you to have a stocked bar. Your friends probably aren't coming over to your house to drink at all. Having a bunch of liquor isn't going to make them want to come over and drink, it's just going to make it awkward. No one likes mooching when a host isn't drinking, and if they do, they probably aren't friends anyways.

Just buy 3-4 6 packs of interesting beer, some vodka, gin, whiskey, and tequila - and you're pretty much done. some cokes and gingerale if you're feeling nice. but really, don't buy any of this stuff, because it's not in your game plan to be mr. party host - and that's fine. your friends already know it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

You guys are all so thoughtful. I appreciate it. When all is said and done I think I'm going to grab a bourbon and a tequila and go from there as people ask for something. It gives me a new conversation topic, :cool:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

There is a difference between feeling a social imperitive to stock a bar and wanting to be a good host on a basic level.

Being the teetotal house is fine. But so is wanting to stock some basic liquor that stores pretty well indefinitely. Decaff pre-ground coffee can FOAD but I keep a small jar of instant in the cupboard for my dad when he swings by.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I got carded! :woop:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I got carded! :woop:

Looking good! :boom:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Just keep some beers in the fridge.

Trouble with beer is it goes bad relatively quickly. Liquor will last for years, but beer will go bad in a few months. I don't know how quickly you expect to rotate your stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ColdPie posted:

Trouble with beer is it goes bad relatively quickly. Liquor will last for years, but beer will go bad in a few months. I don't know how quickly you expect to rotate your stock.

This, really.

If you must insist on keeping booze around in your non-drinking household, stick with hard liquor (others have better suggestions than I would care to make, but keep it simple) and if you want to be *really* nice, some fresh lemons and limes (though I'm sure you can find uses for these regardless). Simply tell your visiting friends "by the way, I don't drink, but I won't begrudge you doing so; just supply you own liquor and I will accommodate you" before they come over. Nothing evil about that, just be up-front. I'm a drinker myself, but anyone who would be a piece of poo poo because you don't provide free booze for them to drink is not worth knowing.

edit: One of my friends in my game group doesn't drink. We simply bring our own booze and he gives us glasses and ice and non-alcoholic beverages.

• Locked thread