Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I for one can't wait until the 20th for the release of the announcement that they couldn't meet the target date and we all have to wait another two weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

The way I see it, I cheated by replaying to fix Kate's suicide; she was my one. If I'm gonna save Frank, I'll have to run through this game from the beginning with a new save.

I honestly can't believe I saved her my first time, because I didn't pay very good attention in her room (even though I looked at stuff), and that fake out near the end when it seems like she's gonna come down but then she has one last freak out nearly killed me (and her)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There are? Not being rude or anything, just curious.

the beginning of her powers starts with her saying she wasn't dreaming, when she reversed back from the lighthouse

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Max travels back in time to alert everyone, leading the police and half the school to the junkyard before the party, dragging Mr Jefferson along as he protests.

They dig up Rachel's grave, only to find mr Jeffersons corpse stuffed into the bag instead.

Then everyone notices that Mr Jefferson isn't standing with the police anymore.

Max chuckles.

That would only work if you could keep the corpse in your inventory though :colbert:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Portland Sucks posted:

Well that was a 5/5 for me. I'm really really confused about one plot point though.

Can someone explain to me why Max has to tell Chloe to fill her in with all the poo poo you changed at the party? I don't recall her ever loosing her memory when she time traveled through pictures before. I think I started to lose track of alternate realities or whatever when you meet up with her on the beach. Why don't we remember what happened in between?

she can change little moments, but she doesn't actively experience everything between what she changed and what the present ends up being. And, her past-self doesn't keep the knowledge and thoughts that she has from the future--it's like future-Max is just temporarily taking over the body and giving it back to past-Max, while past-Max gets cordoned off somewhere without any knowledge until future-Max leaves.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

redreader posted:

Apart from all that I noticed a couple of weirdnesses. Like, they got USA voice actors but the translator was English, an Englishman who was doing a really good job and trying hard but made like one or two mistakes. I am from the UK / SA and I see language differences a lot. In the USA you have 'grades' for school work, in this game there were 'marks'. Also someone in the 5th episode offered to give you a 'lift', as opposed to a 'ride'.

People in the USA say "lift" when driving people somewhere. that's what I say most of the time, and I was born here (and I live in Oregon, no less). the "marks" thing is less common, but Blackwell is supposed to be a fancy private school, and they like to sound fancier sometimes and use Latin/British English phrases sometimes (if it was a school/faculty person who used it--I don't remember), so it wasn't particularly jarring.

"high marks" is also used for "good grades", on occasion

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I just want an epilogue of hipster punk time wizard lesbians chilling out and taking a breather after the roughest week ever but I guess I'll have to turn to anime for that

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
guys I thought the ending was good if short. is that okay??

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

anatomi posted:

Late to the party, but whatever. It's been a good while since I played a game through to the end, but this one held my interest all the way. And it's sooo loving refreshing with a main character whose main defining trait isn't snark.

Story fell apart a bit at the end. The villain felt like he belonged in an entirely different game. On that note, I wish that Nathan's situation had been explored more.

they could have explored a lot more of the characters with more time, but in the end it was a story about Max and Chloe, so I thought it was okay that we only got what we could piece together

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Paladinus posted:

She should dump him if he does that.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Paladinus posted:

This is, of course, the ideal outcome. For the guy.

yes, because anyone who chooses the Bay over bae deserves to end up alone

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

Status update: I was wrong and he chose Bae. I'm glad; they're good together.

I'm happy that we got closure to this story, and that the correct decision was made by all

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

morbid fascination at how inept the dialogue was.

there are some places where it's clear they didn't get the branches quite linked together right and it came off as someone just reading off a checklist, but for the most part the dialogue was pretty spot on, both for teenagers and for Oregon hipsters

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

The only bits of writing I thought were weak were Jeffersons dark room monologues and what felt towards the very end like the authors fumbling to justify the stakes with ham handed exposition delivered via characters that are untrustworthy sources of information even when they aren't speculating wildly about guaranteed unknowns.

the whole bit in Episode 5 with Warren explicitly pinning the blame on Max (like he would know/understand this supernatural power) was the only real thing I didn't care for, that I can recall

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

He admits it's only a theory, and he's very quick to say that it absolutely isn't Max's fault that she didn't know this would have happened.

sorry, it's been a while since I've played and some people earlier in this thread were quoting that part like it was gospel for their theories

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
http://www.npr.org/2016/07/05/484051741/national-park-daguerreotypes-invite-viewers-to-merge-with-the-land

I never thought I was gonna see Daguerreotypes mentioned in real life, but here we are

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
that is seriously one of the neatest intros I've ever seen

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Beat the game. I really liked it! The story was believable enough and the characters had at least a little nuance about them instead of just one-dimensional archetypes like you might expect to find in a high school story. Warren in particular stands out, because he's probably the closest to what a stereotypical gamer is, but the way he was portrayed is like holding up a mirror to me when I was a teenager. He makes me uncomfortable, for all the right reasons, and it seems like Max and I are on the same page judging by her nightmare. Speaking of the nightmare , I felt it owed a debt to Arkham Asylum. It felt like the Scarecrow hallucinations, even down to playing as Victoria briefly feeling like being the Joker.

Some things got on my nerves though. The time travel is a bit inconsistent. Sometimes I can stay in the same place and rewind, sometimes I can't. Sometimes I keep the poo poo I stole or pictures I took, sometimes I can't.

Batmax and Robin don't really seem to give a poo poo about covering their tracks. They'll gladly outright steal paperwork when they have HD cameras with practically unlimited storage on them at all times. Why not just take pictures (you're a photographer...) and leave as much stuff behind as possible so people don't think you're on to them? They left the binders strewn all over the desk in the rape dungeon instead of putting them back where they found them. Even if they ultimately were made regardless, wouldn't you at least put a little effort into covering your tracks?

With regard to that second spoiler block, they probably didn't think about it since Chloe rushed out of the room to hurry to the landfill to find Rachel's body

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

Finished this for the first time yesterday, enjoyed it quite a bit. I feel like I lost the plot a little bit in Episode 5 though, assuming I missed something important so hopefully someone can explain (apologies if this has been covered in the thread already):

Why does ripping up your contest-winning photo land you back in the dark room, and why does it make Jefferson burn your journal? In the San Francisco timeline everyone in your texts indicates Jefferson is arrested on Tuesday or Wednesday, so how is he still free on Friday? And if ripping up the photo means you never text David, why does he show up? I could follow most of what was going on but feel like I missed why Max not handing in a contest-winning selfie cause David to push back in investigation by a few days.

you end up back in the dark room because you never win the contest, and Jefferson, after seeing you've ripped up your photo, burns your diary after he captures you. basically, the rest of the week happens as it does in the first play through, not the alternate reality. David was going to show up on Friday originally, but Max texting him makes him show up earlier

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Max should have jumped into some of the Seattle photos she keeps in her dorm and called Chloe, negating the feelings of abandonment that are at the root of the entire game.

in that timeline, Chloe gets in a fatal crash on I-5 driving up to visit Max for a week.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

sout posted:

:shrug:
yeah wasn't the winning picture the one she took of her looking at her wall? surely she had some better ones than that

It's not just a picture of her. She's looking at the wall of photos she's taken, and the focus (ignoring how she did this on a Polaroid camera) is on the wall, not herself, so it's a statement about how the heroes are the people she takes pictures of, and she's (figuratively and literally) not the focus of the moment.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Similarly, Oxenfree feels like it hits a lot of similar notes as far as "teenagers having a coming of age story when weird poo poo goes down".

I enjoyed Oxenfree for a lot of the same reasons. teens being teens, a creepy story, and some top-notch voice acting.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Jackard posted:

Ehhhh, Oxenfree felt incoherent and unsatisfying compared to this

Life is Strange has more time to earn it compared to Oxenfree, but there are a lot of moments in Life is Strange, for as much as I like it, that are strung together by floss, story-wise, or that play awkwardly because you can clearly tell they're just listing off things in a logic tree based on flags you've tripped.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Trivia: the tornado struck not that far from where the coordinates of the game placed Arcadia Bay (which I think is basically modeled on Garibaldi.)

given that, it's probably safe to assume that Arcadia Bay, like Manzanita, got off with just property damage and power outages.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I think one of the standout writing moments in this for me was Episode 3(?)'s fake out:

"Life is... so unfair"

despite the context, I had to chuckle

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
they talked in commentary about how they used the fact that they had the same locations to tell more of the story and make it more engaging, such as when you get to the alternate timeline and Chloe's room is empty

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Trailer for their next game, Vampyr: Darkness Within

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJnSjJbNnEE

I wish they had stuck to making slice-of-life walking simulators about teens being doofuses. I'd be all about Life is Strange 2: The Strangening.

As it is,

Paul Zuvella posted:

I do not think it is even possible for me to be less interested in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Karpaw posted:

actual games

fighting words

• Locked thread