Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
:siren: Warning: if you ever intend to play Choice of the Dragon, this would be a good time to leave this thread. I am going to dissect this game and leave it bleeding on the table. Thank you. :siren:

Choice of the Dragon by Dan Fabulich posted:

Let us begin.

A knight charges up the slope at you. His horse pounds at the ground, carrying the heavily armored warrior as if he were a child's doll. The knight sets his lance to attack you.

How do you defend yourself, O mighty dragon?
  • I take to the air with a quick beat of my wings.

• I knock the knight from his horse with a slap of my tail.

• I rush into his charge and tear him to pieces with my claws.

• A puff of my fiery breath should be enough for him.

Our stat block posted:

• Brutality/Finesse: 50%/50%

• Cunning/Honor: 50%/50%

• Disdain/Vigilance: 50%/50%

• Infamy: 50%

• Wealth: 5,000 gold coins

• Wounds: Uninjured

Choice of Games is an outfit that produces a number of different choose-your-own-adventure style games using their own engine, which they make freely available to people who want to write their own. They also encourage people who think they've written something good to submit their games to them for sale as apps or through Steam for a couple of bucks. Some of their games are pretty good, like 'Choice of the Deathless', which I LPed not once but twice just recently. Some are... not so good. (Not naming names here, but they know who they are.)

In this LP, we're going to be taking a look at the very first 'Choice Of' game, and one that's still available for free at their website (though you can buy it as an app if you really want to): Choice of the Dragon. But we're not going to be playing it straight.

Thanks to a poster in my second LP thread for 'Choice of the Deathless', I've learned how to access the source for this game. With it, I will guide us to ultimate victory in every respect. How to define that? Simple: we're going to aim to get every achievement in the game. Here's the list:
  • Defeat the heroes that come to slay you.
  • Be killed by the gods for blasphemy.
  • Successfully find a mate.
  • Defeat the evil wizard.
  • Stop your own heart.
  • Finish the game without being wounded.
  • Finish the game with at least 80% Brutality.
  • Finish the game with at least 80% Finesse.
  • Finish the game with at least 80% Cunning.
  • Finish the game with at least 80% Honor.
  • Finish the game with at least 80% Disdain.
  • Finish the game with at least 80% Vigilance.
  • Finish the game with at least 80% Infamy.
  • Finish the game with at least 20,000 gold pieces.
You will notice that some of these goals are mutually exclusive. Others preclude finishing the game at all. We'll handle this by making not one but three dragons.

Goofus the Dragon's sole purpose in life is to fail. I will guide it as poorly as possible through the game, getting it killed at every opportunity, only to rewind time just enough for it to limp to the finish. It'll be the one to get us the two achievements for dying in specific ways.

The other two dragons we make will be minmaxing their stats, but in completely different ways. If you take a look at the stat block, you'll note that six of our dragon's stats are paired. Raising one stat in a pair lowers the other an equal amount. One of these two dragons will raise Brutality, the other Finesse. Cunning/Honor and Disdain/Vigilance will be divided likewise.

So what puts the let's in 'Let's Play', you may ask? Three different things. First, any time we reach a choice where success is equally possible more than one way, I'll ask you what you want to do, and the majority will rule. Second, when we reach a choice where failure is an option, I will again ask you what you want to do, but this time I'll be scoring you. Anyone who gives the correct answer will get a point; anyone who gives an incorrect answer will lose a point. Whoever has the highest score at the end of the story will win a Fabulous Prize!*

The third and most immediately important way you can contribute, though, is this. As previously mentioned, one of our dragons will be trying to maximize Brutality. But what other two stats should it be attempting to maximize? Vote either Cunning or Honor and either Disdain or Vigilance. The other dragon will raise Finesse and the two stats that are not selected.

As this choice will determine the correct choices for much of the rest of the LP, I'm giving everyone until Wednesday morning, whenever I get out of bed, to make their preferences known!

*Prize may not be as fabulous as advertised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Also, for convenience's sake (though the story won't ask us these questions just yet), suggest a male dragon's name, a female dragon's name, and whether the Brutality-focused dragon should be male or female. (The Finesse-focused dragon will be the other gender, and poor Goofus will be neuter.)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There has to be a Gallant the Dragon.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Oh, what the heck. I will also accept suggestions for the neuter dragon's name. Goofus is okay, but maybe you can do better.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Male dragon's name: Smaug
Female dragon's name: Smauga
Brutality-focused dragon: Male
Neuter: Goofus

I suck at naming things.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

FredMSloniker posted:

Oh, what the heck. I will also accept suggestions for the neuter dragon's name. Goofus is okay, but maybe you can do better.

Tumblroth, and there had better be special pronouns for that. :colbert::hf::smaug:

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010
Male dragon's name: DragKing
Female dragon's name: DragQueen

Brutality-focused dragon: Female

Stat Combos:
Brutality + Honour + Disdain
Finesse + Cunning + Vigilance

(I was trying to find the combos which sounded most internally inconsistent).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Sidetracking the thread a bit: I didn't make it in time in the last Choice of the Deathless thread to thank you for the Let's Play, so thank you! :)

Darth TNT posted:

Male dragon's name: Smaug
Female dragon's name: Smauga
Brutality-focused dragon: Male
Neuter: Goofus

I suck at naming things.

No you don't :colbert: these are hilarious and have my vote.

Also Honour+Vigilance

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

FredMSloniker posted:

The third and most immediately important way you can contribute, though, is this. As previously mentioned, one of our dragons will be trying to maximize Brutality. But what other two stats should it be attempting to maximize? Vote either Cunning or Honor and either Disdain or Vigilance. The other dragon will raise Finesse and the two stats that are not selected.
We totes should be a brutal Batman wyvern. So Brutality/Cunning/Vigilance. Actually. Wyvern...

Idea. Straight to names.

Our brute is named Rathalos, our finesse-y wyvern is Rathian and our poor doofus is some unholy flightless thing with way too many limbs which may not all be legs named...

Anticheese posted:

Tumblroth, and there had better be special pronouns for that. :colbert::hf::smaug:
Works.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

mycot posted:

There has to be a Gallant the Dragon.

Gallant the Male dragon, known for his Brutal Cunning and Disdain

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Exhuming the classics now, eh? This'll be a fun trip, I imagine. I'm worse at naming things than that other person who said they're bad at naming things, though, so I'll hold my votes until we get going.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Well if we're doing bad namings then we can't go much worse than Draco for the male, ala the movie Dragonheart. It's just so lacking in imagination. For the female... Well if I'm going with movie references Falkor will work just fine.

And as for poor Doofus, he can be Puff the magic wonder dragon. Because, god knows, only magic can save him now.

Draco can be the Brutal one, maxing also Cunning and Disdain.
Falkor can be full of Finesse, focused on Honour and Vigilance.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

The tally so far:
  • Names for the male: Smaug, DragKing, Rathalos, Gallant, Draco
  • Names for the female: Smauga, DragQueen, Rathian, Falkor
  • Names for the neuter: Goofus, Tumblroth, Puff

• Desired stat focus for the Brutality dragon:
    • 3 Cunning (Cassa, JohnOfOrdo3, Dinictus) vs. 2 Honor (NeoAnjou, Mikl)
    • 3 Disdain (Cassa, JohnOfOrdo3, NeoAnjou) vs. 2 Vigilance (Dinictus, Mikl)

• Brutality-focused dragon's gender: 4 Male (Darth TNT, Mikl, Cassa, JohnOfOrdo3) vs. 1 Female (NeoAnjou)
There's still plenty of time to get your votes and suggestions in! (Names are not a vote, so don't just second someone else's choice; try to think of something I'd like.)

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 2, 2015

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Surely we have to have Gork, the dragon of Brutal Cunning. (Not to be confused with Mork, the dragon of cunning brutality.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

Surely we have to have Gork, the dragon of Brutal Cunning. (Not to be confused with Mork, the dragon of cunning brutality.)

Is Gork a male or female name? And what about Disdain versus Vigilance?

e: also changed how I'm counting votes. It doesn't matter now, but it might later.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 2, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Male, brutal, cunning, disdain.
Female, finesse, honor, vigilance.
Neuter, generally incompetent.

I'm bad at names but nominate the neuter dragon to be named Fluffy.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!

inflatablefish posted:

This is too good to be ignored.

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

Draco can be the Brutal one, maxing also Cunning and Disdain.
Falkor can be full of Finesse, focused on Honour and Vigilance.

Voting for this, except the male dragon's name is Gork instead.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

The tally so far:
  • Names for the male: Smaug, DragKing, Rathalos, Gallant, Draco, Gork
  • Names for the neuter: Goofus, Tumblroth, Puff, Fluffy

• 6 Cunning (Cassa, JohnOfOrdo3, Dinictus, inflatablefish, Vil, Corzanth) vs. 2 Honor (NeoAnjou, Mikl)
    • 5 Disdain (Cassa, JohnOfOrdo3, NeoAnjou, Vil, Corzanth) vs. 2 Vigilance (Dinictus, Mikl)

• Brutality-focused dragon's gender: 6 Male (Darth TNT, Mikl, Cassa, JohnOfOrdo3, Vil, Corzanth) vs. 1 Female (NeoAnjou)
Definitely seeing some trends in the voting at this point.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Gork the disdainful male cunning brute.

Smauga and Goofus for the female and neuter respectively.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Male: Punpun, Brutal, Cunning, Disdain
Female: DragQueen, the other stuffs
Neuter: Lowtax

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

jon joe posted:

Neuter: Lowtax

Are you sure calling a Neuter Lowtax is a good idea? It would be a shame if something happened to your account...

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Stephen9001 posted:

Are you sure calling a Neuter Lowtax is a good idea? It would be a shame if something happened to your account...

Why would neuter be an insult?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

the JJ posted:

Why would neuter be an insult?

I'd be worried less about 'neuter' and more about 'utter incompetent', given that's what the neuter dragon is going to be. :v:

The tally so far:
  • Names for the male: Smaug, DragKing, Rathalos, Gallant, Draco, Gork, Punpun
  • Names for the neuter: Goofus, Tumblroth, Puff, Fluffy, Lowtax

• 8 Cunning (Cassa, JohnOfOrdo3, Dinictus, inflatablefish, Vil, Corzanth, Decoy Badger, jon joe) vs. 2 Honor (NeoAnjou, Mikl)
    • 7 Disdain (Cassa, JohnOfOrdo3, NeoAnjou, Vil, Corzanth, Decoy Badger, jon joe) vs. 2 Vigilance (Dinictus, Mikl)

• Brutality-focused dragon's gender: 8 Male (Darth TNT, Mikl, Cassa, JohnOfOrdo3, Vil, Corzanth, Decoy Badger, jon joe) vs. 1 Female (NeoAnjou)
At this point, the stats are pretty much locked in, but you're welcome to suggest more names! I'll make it official tomorrow morning.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Dragons are like snakes, right? Call the male one Solid and the loser Liquid and the female, um, Quiet.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Brutality dragon should be vigilant

He's all pumped from the dragon gym and looking for a fight.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I'm gonna go ahead and call it early. Our dragons will be Gork, a male dragon focusing on Brutality, Cunning, and Disdain; Falkor, a female dragon focusing on Finesse, Honor, and Vigilance; and Fluffy, a neuter dragon who's terrible at everything.

With that in mind, let's get started. The plan is to play through each scene of the game once with either Gork or Falkor, then again with the other, and show a highlight reel (if any highlights exist) for Fluffy. I've flipped a coin and determined that we'll play through each scene first with Falkor.

Let us begin.

A knight charges up the slope at you. His horse pounds at the ground, carrying the heavily armored warrior as if he were a child's doll. The knight sets his lance to attack you.

• I take to the air with a quick beat of my wings.

• I knock the knight from his horse with a slap of my tail.

• I rush into his charge and tear him to pieces with my claws.

• A puff of my fiery breath should be enough for him.

Falkor's stat block posted:

• Brutality/Finesse: 50%/50%

Only one option here is the correct one for Falkor. I'll give you 24 hours to find it and get on the scoreboard.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 4, 2015

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Okay, let's see: We have four options, but we know that only one of them matches up with Finesse, Honor, or Vigilance. Let's see...

I'd imagine "tear him to pieces" would be Brutality? And I'm guessing "just torch him" would be Disdain, so... It's between flying (which could conceivably be Vigilance or Cunning), and "slap him off the horse", which... might be Finesse?

...I'll go with the tail. Tail whip is clearly the right answer! After all, we're early on in the game when Tail Whip actually seems vaguely useful.

Crepuscule Adepte fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 4, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Tail whip without touching the horse requires finesse.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Take to the skies. I have some sort of half recollection that knocking the knight off his horse is 'disdain'. I don't think I ever really played this, but the intro scene was somewhat used as a tutorial for using Choicescript. But it's been quite some time since I even looked at that stuff.

And I can't remember what the fire breath is. Cunning?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I figure slapping someone off a moving object with something at the back of your body needs coordination. Also, she's a girl dragon and they slap people before eating them. :v: Slap the fool off his horse.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fly, Falkor!

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
It's gotta be flight.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Flight is Finesses

And hey - thanks for doing this. I've played this and read LPs, and I'm pretty sure there are some things that are easy to miss. If I finally get to see the dragon get it on with another dragon, I can die happy.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Take to the skies!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

It's gotta be flying! I hope...

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Arcturas posted:

It's gotta be flying! I hope...

Flying seems a little too disdain. Whip it real good?

I bet some of these are double choices. Brutal/disdain for the just torch him, finess/disdain for flying away, that sort of thing.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
Flight seems like the safest choice here.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Fly away finessily.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
Fly away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Time to tabulate the scores! Who made the call, and who blew it?

Let us begin.

• I take to the air with a quick beat of my wings. (Finesse %+10.)
    Voters: Kgummy, JosephWongKS, Oblivion4568238, Xander77, Corzanth, Arcturas, Lokapala, jon joe, and enahs.

• I knock the knight from his horse with a slap of my tail. (Cunning %+10.)
    Voters: Crepuscule Adepte, Fat Samurai, Darth TNT, and the JJ.

• I rush into his charge and tear him to pieces with my claws. (Brutality %+10.)
    Voters: none.

• A puff of my fiery breath should be enough for him. (Disdain %+10.)
    Voters: none.

Let me explain how stat changes work. In the code, you will see, for instance, '*set brutality %+10'. This operator, which is frequently used in 'Choice Of' games, allows you to add to a stat without accidentally overflowing the percentile scale. This specific example would add ten percent of the remaining distance to 100% to Brutality. For instance, if we had 60% Brutality, we would have 40% to go, and so we would add (40% * 10%) = 4% to Brutality.

Finesse, Honor, and Vigilance are implemented by subtracting from Brutality, Cunning, and Disdain respectively; the command used in the correct choice is actually '*set brutality %-10'. It works the same way, but in reverse, removing that percentage of the stat. (If our Brutality were 60%, it would decrease by (60% * 10%) = 6%.)

It's easy to raise a stat when it's low and easy to lower it when it's high. Which means we'll have to be careful developing our dragons to be consistent in our choices; one wrong choice can wipe out several choices' worth of progress.

Also of note: while Infamy is not an opposed stat, gains and losses use the same function.

Anyway. We actually gained 5% Finesse (or lost 5% Brutality, whichever). Let's look at how.

Scene 1: Prologue posted:

You leap to the air, deftly avoiding the knight's thrust. Now that you are in the air, he hardly poses any threat at all--not that he ever posed much of one to you. You circle back and knock him off his horse with a swipe of your claw.

Do you finish him off, victorious dragon?
  • Of course! How dare he attack me?

• I let him live to warn others of my immense power.

• Eh. Now that the threat is ended, he is beneath my concern.

Falkor's stat block posted:

• Brutality/Finesse: 45%/55% (▶5%)

Scoreboard posted:

•  1 Kgummy (New!)
  •  1 JosephWongKS (New!)
  •  1 Oblivion4568238 (New!)
  •  1 Xander77 (New!)
  •  1 Corzanth (New!)
  •  1 Arcturas (New!)
  •  1 Lokapala (New!)
  •  1 jon joe (New!)
  •  1 enahs (New!)
  • -1 Crepuscule Adepte (New!)
  • -1 Fat Samurai (New!)
  • -1 Darth TNT (New!)
  • -1 the JJ (New!)

Once again, there is a single correct choice for Falkor. You have 24 hours to find it.

e: You snuck under the buzzer, enahs! Next time maybe not leave it so close.

• Locked thread