Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ded posted:

paperclip

Derp?

Edit: never mind figured the reference out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just got called on to duty to drive from 2200 to 0200. Thankfully class starts at 0600 and we just got some reserve admiral visiting my class so it's not like I have to be fresh eyed and bushy tailed.

Supposedly my class got picked for a visit because we have two reservists and its a reserve admiral.

I hope he doesn't notice the room is 85. They moved out the fan for his visit. Perhaps they will fix the AC instead?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Just got called on to duty to drive from 2200 to 0200. Thankfully class starts at 0600 and we just got some reserve admiral visiting my class so it's not like I have to be fresh eyed and bushy tailed.

Supposedly my class got picked for a visit because we have two reservists and its a reserve admiral.

I hope he doesn't notice the room is 85. They moved out the fan for his visit. Perhaps they will fix the AC instead?

Didnt even know they had reserve admirals. FTS officers a thing? Just seems weird that there would be a weekend Admiral.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

PneumonicBook posted:

It can, yea. Which is why it's important to be known positively outside your chain. It's a really easy game to play. The people that fight it are the angsty ones who get Ps for days.

March Navy Thread- keelhaul all khakis

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

ded posted:

paperclip

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Does the NEX carry the new Nintendo 3DS XL?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

That poo poo is very case by case. I remember one not too long ago having PSPs bundles and older poo poo like that. Can you not check inventory online?

I never found the NEX to have any good deals at all. Maybe overseas.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Only reason is for the tax advantage, otherwise it's depressing walking into a NEX.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

LingcodKilla posted:

Reserve Admiral in my class *right now* in CID corry. Please tell me you're not a CTN student.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
he's IT

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Thank God. The worst feeling would be having a GIPer as a student that I'm actively teaching and for us to both realize it.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
that was me 3 years ago (the student)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vriess posted:

Thank God. The worst feeling would be having a GIPer as a student that I'm actively teaching and for us to both realize it.

Hahah really? If your active Navy I'm probably older than you by a decade so I'm really not the average student. Anyways he came into our class and immediately commented about how hot the room was (82f)(AC broken).

A student in our class fell asleep during his speech and got handled ..... roughly.... by the chiefs.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

Didnt even know they had reserve admirals. FTS officers a thing? Just seems weird that there would be a weekend Admiral.

FTS is not the same as the reserves. Maybe you ought to spend less time bitching about the Navy and more time learning about it? Of course the reserves (across all services) have FOGOs, who do you think manages the reserve forces?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Anyone know about reserves chief selection boards? I'm curious if they'd see all of my active duty stuff and be like gently caress yea or if they'd be all he hasn't been in the reserves gently caress him.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

Anyone know about reserves chief selection boards? I'm curious if they'd see all of my active duty stuff and be like gently caress yea or if they'd be all he hasn't been in the reserves gently caress him.

Make it first time up and the only reserve eval I had was a non-observed transfer from hell-on-earth AKA Operational Support Unit to an actual unit.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
FTS are full time support. For all purposes they are treated the same as active duty members, including benefits and the amount of time they have to serve. The big difference is that their promotion pool is significantly smaller because FTS personnel are only put up against other FTS personnel, and they are paid from the reserve pool of money instead of the active pool.

Vcie Admiral Braun is a full on reservist if I remember correctly, but she pretty much functions as an active person with how her orders are long term. She's visited our unit about three times to talk to us and seems pretty great as far as flag officers go.

My fun FTS story is that my last chief was force moved from active into FTS and went full gently caress the navy mode, and then almost a month later he was selected for board and made chief. The window was completely closed for active duty ETs, but when he went to FTS there was a large enough window that he made it on his first try. The joke with him was to never ask him for boarding advice because he made it on his first try and didn't have to learn how to game the system.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

buttplug posted:

FTS is not the same as the reserves. Maybe you ought to spend less time bitching about the Navy and more time learning about it? Of course the reserves (across all services) have FOGOs, who do you think manages the reserve forces?

More like I had instructors in A school that had never really been around FTS people and just lumped them in by saying that they were reserves with special poo poo attached like a smaller pool of competition with higher advancement rate. Figured reserves were managed at some point by active components, didnt pay much mind because Ill never have to deal with them unless theyre on special orders for an appointment or administrative reasons. Beyond basic medical stuff, I have no reason to look up anything about them.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Pandasmores posted:

Beyond basic medical stuff, I have no reason to look up anything about them.

Having a general understanding of how the world around you works is, in general, beneficial.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nick Soapdish posted:

Make it first time up and the only reserve eval I had was a non-observed transfer from hell-on-earth AKA Operational Support Unit to an actual unit.

Good to hear. It would be pretty hilarious if this happens to me. I imagine a lot of selres chief packages are completely hosed due to one weekend a month of dealing with it.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Howard Phillips posted:

Yes, they sold out the same day. I haven't seen another one since.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

Howard Phillips posted:

I picked up mine in the NEX here in Fallon (gently caress this place) there were two left. So they do but you might not get one now.

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013

Howard Phillips posted:

The one at Oceana NAS had a few a couple of weeks ago. I bought pokemans there and they had some themed ones.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Just wait a few weeks when they come back in stock nerds.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
Wait a week before payday and buy one from a dumb boot gently caress who needs cash to make their car payment.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Vriess posted:

Wait a week before payday and buy one from a dumb boot gently caress who needs cash to make their car payment.

I'm an officer now so can't be hanging around the barracks looking for cheap deals from desperate boots. But reminds of a story when I was in A school in Great Lakes where I bought a PS2 and 15 games for $50 from an alcoholic who lived on my deck. He was desperate for a fix and nobody was interested in buying PS2 and a bunch of JRPGs. This was back in 2006, so it was a great loving deal. When I left I sold my PS2 and all games for $200.

What gets junior Sailors the most trucks, single moms, or alcohol?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

I'm an officer now so can't be hanging around the barracks looking for cheap deals from desperate boots. But reminds of a story when I was in A school in Great Lakes where I bought a PS2 and 15 games for $50 from an alcoholic who lived on my deck. He was desperate for a fix and nobody was interested in buying PS2 and a bunch of JRPGs. This was back in 2006, so it was a great loving deal. When I left I sold my PS2 and all games for $200.

What gets junior Sailors the most trucks, single moms, or alcohol?

If you get the truck the single moms are easier to get no?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

If you get the truck the single moms are easier to get no?

There's nothing quite like driving by the barracks of any base (Corry Station is a good example) and seeing all of the 45-55k cars sitting in the parking lot. Notice how none of them are there 1-3 days after a payday, but 1-3 days leading up to said payday that lot is full..

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

buttplug posted:

There's nothing quite like driving by the barracks of any base (Corry Station is a good example) and seeing all of the 45-55k cars sitting in the parking lot. Notice how none of them are there 1-3 days after a payday, but 1-3 days leading up to said payday that lot is full..

PS4s and Xbones were traded back and forth for various small sums of money by the Corry boots around pay day depending on who was running low that day.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Welp. Just spent the weekend getting mild looks of disgust from the staff of Naval Lodge. My little buddy flew in his 18yr girl from back home. He had to rent two rooms (one for him and his lady and one for me and another buddy). While he was getting his dick on I spent the weekend playing Skyrim. It was pretty obvious the staff thought we perverts.
I can't wait till he's a bit older and less embarrassed about these things so we can just share a room and politely look the other way while we gently caress.

Corry loving sucks for not having a goddamn hotel.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

LingcodKilla posted:

Welp. Just spent the weekend getting mild looks of disgust from the staff of Naval Lodge. My little buddy flew in his 18yr girl from back home. He had to rent two rooms (one for him and his lady and one for me and another buddy). While he was getting his dick on I spent the weekend playing Skyrim. It was pretty obvious the staff thought we perverts.
I can't wait till he's a bit older and less embarrassed about these things so we can just share a room and politely look the other way while we gently caress.

Corry loving sucks for not having a goddamn hotel.

Lol should have gotten a room at the hotel that has boomerZzz (or buddyzzzz wtf). You could have caught crabs from the bed and gotten shot or stabbed at the bar.

Why did you have to get a room with your pal? Liberty buddy poo poo? Did you offer a Devils three way?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Lol should have gotten a room at the hotel that has boomerZzz (or buddyzzzz wtf). You could have caught crabs from the bed and gotten shot or stabbed at the bar.

Why did you have to get a room with your pal? Liberty buddy poo poo? Did you offer a Devils three way?

We are on a three sailor liberty restriction. Since I figured he was gonna dump her after this trip I offered but he said no.

He's really planning on dumping her after she gets home.

Good sailor.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34550-d85590-Reviews-Quality_Inn_N_A_S_Corry-Pensacola_Florida.html

quote:

It's in a really bad area. We felt unsafe and paranoid. It's surrounded by ghetto-extended-stay motels. I actually put my suitcase against the door after I used the bolt-lock. There was a shirtless, homeless man walking through the parking lot, cat-calling a lady on the balcony. Behind the front desk is a monitor for 16 different cameras on the property. The carpeted floors are old and dingy. We didn't use the shower. I didn't sleep at all.

quote:

Booked through a third party. Got in very late and was disgusted and felt cheated at the price I paid for such a trashy hotel. Disgusting room, didn't even have standard pillows and the place seemed like a brothel, to be honest. NOT FAMILY FRIENDLY!!!!

http://www.expedia.com/Pensacola-Ho...CFRRhfgodSTEADA

quote:

The hotel is right next to a bar. Some of the patrons parked in hotel parking spots (outside of our window) and would come out of the bar being loud and obnoxious every morning around 2 or 3 am. The neighborhood is a little scary and the room wasn't very clean. My son called down to get more towels for the room and was told to come and get them at the front desk himself, when he went down he was told they didn't have anymore clean towels. Not a great stay. Wouldn't recommend it.

quote:

Even though I had prepaid fro the hotel for 4 night I packed up and departed without checking out. I spent over 120 nights per year in hotels and this is by far the worse service I have received any where in the world. It seems it is more of a place that wold like to rent by the hour for quick hook ups.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

We are on a three sailor liberty restriction. Since I figured he was gonna dump her after this trip I offered but he said no.

He's really planning on dumping her after she gets home.

Good sailor.

This plan is awful and mean. I approve.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

UoI posted:

This plan is awful and mean. I approve.

Lol her flight got delayed till Tuesday and the airline won't pay for a hotel for the two nights.
He payed for the hotel on the airlines property and is waiting a few more days to carry through his plan.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol her flight got delayed till Tuesday and the airline won't pay for a hotel for the two nights.
He payed for the hotel on the airlines property and is waiting a few more days to carry through his plan.

So does he have a Mustang or a Raptor?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bengy81 posted:

So does he have a Mustang or a Raptor?

I was kind of hoping to see something along those lines (because I wanted to drive it) but nope just beaters in my class.

There is a raptor on base but not sure who owns it.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Do people actually use the beds of the trucks they buy?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Day 2 of Icepocalypse North Texas: Classes canceled again. More phone interviews to get real interviews to hopefully get a real job and not have to take a mob or long term orders as backup backup plan.

Anyone in the IDC still on active, I feel for you. Corpsmen can get back to work being lazy, know-it-all know-nothings. Hang all brownshoes. Inshallah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

Do people actually use the beds of the trucks they buy?

Mostly to have sex on from what I can gather from the class truck-whore.

• Locked thread