Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Only cool MAs I've known were dog handlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Applewhite posted:

Personally I think separate wardroom messbills would make more sense if the wardroom were still allowed to buy its own food.

Then you have an issue of the wardroom getting better food than the rest of the ship. There's already enough issue in some places of elitism without tossing that in as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Separate dining facilities does accomplish some things. It's much more difficult to effectively lead people when you're best friends with them rather than subordinate/superior. This is nothing to do with any type of elitism. It's just human nature. Camaraderie and esprit de corps are invaluable to morale, but keeping senior/subordinate separate for dining/mess makes sense.

The way to solve the mess bill issue is just set up everyone with a deductible account on the ship. If you eat, you pay. Deduct it automatically from people's pay and just give everyone BAS.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MancXVI posted:

You'd end up with dudes starving themselves to pay off their truck.

Well, yeah, there's going to be dumbasses always, but there are methods in place already to deal with that type of stupidity.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

germskr posted:

:lol:

On another note we are the only branch that elevates a rocker wearing enlisted to wear a different uniform, get separate berthing and dining are.

There are absolutely senior enlisted messes and officer messes in the other branches.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I absolutely agree that the chief's treefort is stupid.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There are good SWOs out there. I like to think I was one and I know a bunch still in. There are a lot of shitheads, though. My PTSD baby-SWO friend and the people that would rat out other JOs to the skipper come to mind off the top of my head.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The mess on most surface ships I've dealt with is ineffective as a whole. LASTSHIP's was completely useless. The wardroom drove our INSURV because the goat locker was worthless.

It's an issue with the current generation of chiefs, imo. Basically, COs at sea have very little actual input directly into who they want to be chiefs out of their group of first classes. There was a similar problem with the retention boards when I was in. If they went to every captain at sea and said "give me 5 bodies to cut and tell me who of your first classes needs to be a chief" and actually followed that, we'd be in better shape. Instead you have a system that is distanced from actual performance and is based upon whatever the nebulous ideals of that particular board wants by looking at a tiny powerpoint slide on each person.

Give captains at sea more power in deciding these things and you'll see a stronger goat locker. Right now the mess is full of paper chiefs who arguably have no reason to be there in a lot of cases. I know that we had two E8s and maybe 5 E7s ship wide that were worth actually keeping. Others were useless, incompetent, cowards, or some fantastic mix of the bunch.

EDIT: In aviation there seems to be a larger gulf between what the Os do and the chiefs do because of the nature of the job. Pilots are supposed to fly. The divisional work is secondary. Running my divisions was my primary job. I had to be intimately involved because no one else was.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 10, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Exactly. The aviation chiefs necessarily have to be more in charge. The surface chiefs mostly like to hang out in their treefort.

When we stumbled on our first TMI (the first TMI ever iirc), the admiral came onboard to see what was up. He spent about 5 minutes in the wardroom. He walked in, saw what we were doing, and saw that we were all taking steps to correct the deficiencies that we had found. I built an auto updating tracker system in excel that is still flying around a ton of surface ships for INSURV preps that he loved. He then went down to the mess and proceeded to rip their asses for about an hour. They looked browbeaten and weary after that meeting. It didn't help, though. We still had to drive the entire operation from upstairs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well, although the mess as a whole was pretty much useless, there were a couple of chiefs that basically took over entire other divisions that didn't have a divo and the current LCPO was useless. There are still a handful of really loving good chiefs out there in the surface world. The ones I knew were just as dissatisfied with the state of the mess as we were.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Applewhite posted:

Don't forget your mando eight hours of sleep.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My last captain had in his standing orders that you had to get at least 4 hours of sleep a night. He recommended 5. If you had to assume the watch with less than 4, you had to get permission from him first. He didn't like being woke up for it, but it was one of those things he was on top of. He encouraged us to catch naps anytime we could during the day on nights that we would be up like that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

KetTarma posted:

:staredog:

You got to sleep every night??

Well, deployment is where we really chopped things up. We split everyone up into static watches. So you'd stand both 12-3 for two weeks, the you'd shift to the 9-12. We were able to get most watches manned this way across the entire ship. There were some people still on five and dimes, but most people were in their twice a day 3 hour static rotations.

But yeah, my last captain emphasized that he didn't want overly tired people on watch. He hated that part of SWO culture and was actually doing something to change it. This wasn't just for officers, mind you. This was his policy shipwide. When we were really busting our hump, I told my guys to catch it whenever they can but don't let work slide off. They did and didn't so it worked out well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Why are naps so loving taboo in the Military? Look man you're jerking off and playing video games what's the different if I sleep we're both doing nothing

They aren't if you have a sensible command.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Unicorns exist, my friend.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Get qualled, scrub. If you're as proficient as you say it shouldn't take you any time at all. Any board should be a formality.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nah this is just spitting the real. The IDW pin is a joke to get anyways.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Got a letter from a friend of mine in boot camp today. It's exactly as we all expected. Gonna get some stuff together and drop it in the mail monday for him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm probably just going to send him some addressed stamped envelopes so it's easier for him to send things back. Poor sap got made yeoman.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

Chief (and E-8/E-9) boards are poo poo shows that are governed by a mix of promotion requirements from PERS and board precepts from MCPON based on what he wants "his mess" to look like at any given time. It literally changes from year to year and especially from MCPON to MCPON.

About the only consistent advice that can be given is, "EPs are good". Anyone who purports to have the "gouge" on CPO boards is either an idiot or lying.

I had a sit down with a Force Master Chief a few weeks ago with some other PCO's and we spent quite a while bitching about it to him because it makes writing evals for them a pain in the rear end. He just shrugged and said, "we're trying to get better."

I stick with advice I gave a few threads back. The best way to break out is to do high quality, in rate, work and make sure your primary ranker knows it. The idea that you need 100 collaterals is a myth perpetuated by people who have never been involved in the eval process.

This is what I was talking about earlier and reflects my chats with half a dozen to a dozen COs and former. The chief selection boards are so god drat finicky from year to year that there is little effect a single CO can have to signal specifically "this is the guy that needs to be a chief this cycle." The most it seems a captain can do is try to do that and hope for the best. This is a huge area that local commands necessarily need to have a stronger influence since they are the ones that have to deal with all the shitbag E7s and up.

Also, most of the time I ever heard someone bitching about "so and so only gets the points because they kiss rear end/have a million collaterals, etc" is from someone who is completely disconnected with the eval process and is usually a bit of a shitbag themselves. I've had two good sailors work for me that didn't get the EP evals they deserved and neither lost it because of collateral duties that they either had or didn't have. If you have two people who, all other things considered, are mostly equal, then yes extra curricular poo poo will win the day.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you really are the best in the division at what you do, make sure someone above you knows. I was an EP sailor when enlisted without any collaterals outside of my division or participation in any command-wide groups, but it's also because not only did I excel at my job, but people knew it. I'm not saying you need to be a braggart or a kissass, but keeping a detailed list of poo poo you did during the day and keeping your boss up to date with what you're working on are vital. When you get done with your assigned stuff, be proactive. Do more than you're asked to do, but keep your people above you well informed. The further detached from your reporting senior you are, the more visible you need to be. If all you do every day is just punch the clock and collect a paycheck, then that's probably what you're going to get on the backside as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah, I get that it's difficult to put exactly what you did on your eval because it has to be on an unclass level. Can't you put generalities, though? Spent 10 months attached to X, X, and X performing over x hours of in rate work without any violations" or something like that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vulturesrow posted:

I'll just add to what Mr Nice and MML said by saying I've sat on many ranking boards and never has collateral duties been anything other than a tiebreaker between two sailors that were doing really, really well at their primary job.

That said, on to more important stuff. Check out my new dogge!

Good dog.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Former JAG, but yeah she's pretty good about responding to PMs, too.

Also, contribute to your roth TSP at least and roll it into another roth IRA that you can contribute to when you get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

I was told to leave mast for being LLD. Standing room only. No seats for cripples. Dang.

Well they're doing it to send a message to all the young idiots. I don't think you're quite in the target demographic. You're probably pretty close to the same age as the guy that's conducting the mast.

• Locked thread