Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I'm pretty sure those are for $100 off a purchase of a case $160 of or more, and are really just lame marketing attempts to get you to buy their basic $5/bottle wines they have marked up so you can feel good about getting a discount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Zeris posted:

I'm pretty sure those are for $100 off a purchase of a case $160 of or more, and are really just lame marketing attempts to get you to buy their basic $5/bottle wines they have marked up so you can feel good about getting a discount

yeah I expected that. I guess you can buy single wines in a package deal though.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

LeoMarr posted:

"Bravo company was hit the hardest, Within Bravo's first ninety days in theater all three of its platoon leaders, its first sergeant, a squad leader and a team leader had been wiped from the battlefield by death or injury"

mein gott
Lol

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

psydude posted:

Does anyone actually call their PSG "smoke" anymore? I think I heard some gay ADA people using it, but I'm not sure.

Artillery still does and will forever and ever amen

E: ADA isn't artillery though

Nimmy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 19, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Definitely a good read about some of the shittiest command decisions and favortism based decisions ever happening in country.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Nimmy posted:

Artillery still does and will forever and ever amen

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Fort Sill is the gayest of army bases, tied with Hood and Benning.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Suntan Boy posted:

No need for redundancy here

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Suntan Boy posted:

Was there recently for a few weeks. After a week of "hahahah look at all these assholes in PT belts" it got pretty lame. Although I did love that some PVTs would call at ease for a random E5 walking past them to the DFAC. Lawton is awful.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Nobles are leading by example:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/19/politics/army-ethics-lying-report/

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
So a friend of mine is currently getting medically discharged from the Airforce for being allergic to fire ants. That's not the weirdest part, apparently the VA has rated her at a 90% disability...I told her that was an insane amount and her response was it stems from all the depression the med board process has caused. This is insane, right? I don't know much about disability ratings so that's why I'm asking this, but I've read enough to know she's either lying about something or the VA just really doesn't like money.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Naah, she's probably pulling your leg. I've worked with dudes who have been allergic to fire ants, bees, whatever the metal in dog tags is, tons of poo poo.

Chances are she is depressed and is getting med boarded for that, and / or she just doesn't want to tell you.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Androies posted:

stems from all the depression that consistently taking various ethnicities of cock has caused her

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

In other news, a recent study shows that the sky is blue, and water is, indeed, wet.

That article does point out that pretty much everyone trapped in this bureaucratic nightmare lies. A better title for the article would probably be something like "All the objects of your bizarre hero worship are a bunch of dishonest fucks." PAO? Can we run with that?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Hmm, I think that "dishonest" is a little too strong for a title. Let's go with "tactful."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

While officers do love them some lying and cheating, and the article does specifically make mention of the crushing bureaucracy, it still doesn't really do a good job of differentiating between outright lying and massaging the truth in order to get things done. Imagine trying to follow every regulation to the T when it comes to trying to maintain 10 year old equipment in theater. Everyone's done sketchy "controlled exchanges," manual dispatches, and worked with the XO and motor sergeant to paint a creative picture of the truth on the O2 report while forward deployed away from the BMO to avoid deadlining equipment for stupid poo poo that can't be replaced in the middle of Afghanistan.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

It's kind of a crap topical article, honestly. There's just SO MUCH that it leaves out, as exemplified by psydude. Regs tend to assume that all materials and subject matter experts will always be available all the time, and most don't leave any wiggle room if that's not the case. Sheer ignorance is a huge factor, too; in 11 years, I've never met anyone that even knows every applicable reg, tm, fm, tb, etc in a given situation or field. I don't know what metric they were using to determine what constitutes someone being a lying rear end in a top hat, but I get the feeling that it was "did not follow all policies at every level, regardless of situation/circumstance, neener neener." I don't even know where I'm going with this. Commentary, maybe? I feel like we're over regulated, but experience says we'll wind up with less common sense and more bullshit otherwise.

Nimmy posted:

Was there recently for a few weeks. After a week of "hahahah look at all these assholes in PT belts" it got pretty lame. Although I did love that some PVTs would call at ease for a random E5 walking past them to the DFAC. Lawton is awful.

I had half of an old as hell blue decal on my car, and an entire cluster of marine kids stopped to salute my car in the px parking lot. True story. Lawton is terrible. The cigar shop is legit, and I got custody of my kids in that loving town, so it could be worse, I guess.

E: Barstow. Barstow is worse.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 20, 2015

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Fort Sill and Oklahoma in general were so loving depressing.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

psydude posted:

While officers do love them some lying and cheating, and the article does specifically make mention of the crushing bureaucracy, it still doesn't really do a good job of differentiating between outright lying and massaging the truth in order to get things done. Imagine trying to follow every regulation to the T when it comes to trying to maintain 10 year old equipment in theater. Everyone's done sketchy "controlled exchanges," manual dispatches, and worked with the XO and motor sergeant to paint a creative picture of the truth on the O2 report while forward deployed away from the BMO to avoid deadlining equipment for stupid poo poo that can't be replaced in the middle of Afghanistan.

Hell I watched a BMO tell one of his mechanics "that's just a class 2 leak" as fluid was actively dripping on the ground to keep from deadlining an MRAP in theatre.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Richard Bong posted:

Fort Sill and Oklahoma in general were so loving depressing.

Nice and windy and plenty of meth, sounds good to me.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Majors. Majors are the loving worst "truth massagers" out there. Major is the point where you know you're in it for the long haul, but you haven't reached the "I'm at the end of the line" LTC comfort zone. Sit in on a group of staff officers briefing a Brigade commander or higher. It's like watching ants run from a magnifying glass under sunlight whenever a section OIC opens his mouth. No one wants to give the boss honest and frank advice, they just want to avoid looking like anything short of Clausewitz incarnate.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Equine Don posted:

Nice and windy and plenty of meth, sounds good to me.

A couple years back, I heard that joes weren't allowed in the mall because Soldiers kept getting stabbed. I have been out for a while now so I have no way of knowing if thats true, but I believe it

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Whipped Buttcheeks posted:

Majors. Majors are the loving worst "truth massagers" out there. Major is the point where you know you're in it for the long haul, but you haven't reached the "I'm at the end of the line" LTC comfort zone. Sit in on a group of staff officers briefing a Brigade commander or higher. It's like watching ants run from a magnifying glass under sunlight whenever a section OIC opens his mouth. No one wants to give the boss honest and frank advice, they just want to avoid looking like anything short of Clausewitz incarnate.

When they aren't busy angrily swatting away their various staff lieutenants like gnats, majors spend their time hiding away in their office reminiscing about the days when they had command authority (none of that S3 sort of but not really command cocktease nonsense) and desperately petitioning their branch managers and friends from ILE to hook them up with career broadening assignments so they can escape staff hell. They occasionally emerge from the battalion TOC to forage in the DFAC or Green Beans for food before returning to their natural habitat of excel spreadsheets and power points.

psydude fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 20, 2015

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

psydude posted:

When they aren't busy angrily swatting away their various staff lieutenants like gnats, majors spend their time hiding away in their office reminiscing about the days when they had command authority (none of that S3 sort of but not really command cocktease nonsense) and desperately petitioning their branch managers and friends from ILE to hook them up with career broadening assignments so they can escape staff hell. They occasionally emerge from the battalion TOC to forage in the DFAC or Green Beans for food before returning to their natural habitat of excel spreadsheets and power points.

You make it sound so attractive I can't wait another 6-7 years to be a major. Also career broadening assignments? What would the equivalent of that be for the reserves?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

White Chocolate posted:

You make it sound so attractive I can't wait another 6-7 years to be a major. Also career broadening assignments? What would the equivalent of that be for the reserves?

Sucking enough dick to get an AGR slot.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

White Chocolate posted:

Probably an IMA position with a weird DoD or other government agency, or a PFI/ADOS tour. Then there's things Contingency Response Unit, the LOGPAC, and the cyber command reserve battalion.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Pay bumps and expanded career opportunities are great, but beware! Advancement from army junior management to middle management typically comes at the cost of a chuck of your soul and a few brain cells, and an implant that plays "Pop Goes the Weasel" and the army song through your skull bones all day. Some recover once they hit the next pay grade, but most just wind up chugging Koolaid and gin. Makes lurching up the ladder a little less painful.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Richard Bong posted:

A couple years back, I heard that joes weren't allowed in the mall because Soldiers kept getting stabbed. I have been out for a while now so I have no way of knowing if thats true, but I believe it

Total bullshit, I've never heard of such a thing. The cab drivers will give you the numbers for hookers though,

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Equine Don posted:

Total bullshit, I've never heard of such a thing. The cab drivers will give you the numbers for hookers though,

When I was there, all you had to do was go to IHOP at about 3 in the morning. All the fat off duty chlamydia barns you could ever want. Bitch, I just want to eat my pancakes and go to bed.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Suntan Boy posted:

When I was there, all you had to do was go to IHOP at about 3 in the morning. All the fat off duty chlamydia barns you could ever want. Bitch, I just want to eat my pancakes and go to bed.

Sounds like a great place for some good ol fashion hog hunting

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Suntan Boy posted:

You could also try the gonorrhea factory, and soon to be (if not already) banned establishment Scooters.

Was also told a story about a fresh LT in BOLC getting rolled by a former Miss Lawton. She took him back to her place and her boyfriend murdered him for a couple bucks.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

LeoMarr posted:

Sounds like a great place for some good ol fashion hog hunting

Yeah, but most of these were off the clock hookers. And really, the only dating scene in the entire state that wasn't like shooting pork in a barrel was the few granola hipster blocks of downtown OKC.

Nimmy posted:

You could also try the gonorrhea factory, and soon to be (if not already) banned establishment Scooters.

Was also told a story about a fresh LT in BOLC getting rolled by a former Miss Lawton. She took him back to her place and her boyfriend murdered him for a couple bucks.

If they ban Scooters, Lawton's entire economy will implode.

And yeah, that was in 2006, a couple years before I got there, dude got shot at an atm. Do they still talk about the BOLC LT that got shot trying to help someone "stranded" on the side of the road? Felt kind of bad for the guy when he showed up at the FLA to get checked up on a few days after.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 23, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Holy gently caress. I think the worst story ive heard is about 2 dudes getting kidnapped outside fort Polk and being put in a 5x5 box for 3 days straight. I mean fayetteville had a lot of shitheads but I dont recall stabbings and loving murders.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Off the top of my head:

Fort Lewis - Weekend gang fights at the lovely post club, usually resulting in at least a good stabbing. Also some guy getting back from a deployment, stabbing his wife 30ish times, and arranging all the silverware around hey body.
Korea - Some dude murdered and maybe dismembered his Filipino wife and left the body in the offpost apartment bathtub. Also some jackass got stupid in a Korean club and got shanked for it.
Fort Sill - see above posts
Fort Hood - Pretty standard for someone to get shot/stabbed somewhere in Killeen over the weekend, often by a pimp.
NTC - Holy poo poo Barstow. Also the odd diy abortion.
Fort Benning - Someone gets shot in a domestic about every other month, seems like.

Horrible poo poo happens a lot, you just don't hear about it much unless you know someone or work in a job that has to deal with it.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 23, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

St. Robert, the town right outside of Fort Leonard Wood, is a major stop on the biker gang meth trade route. While I was there for BOLC, there were no fewer than three major gun battles that took place between rival gangs in various parking lots right off the main drag going in to post.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I've started running 3 times a week with a buddy of mine who's struggling to pass his pt run. He's in his low 30s, but had low motivation to run, so i offered to drive to a track that's close to both of us (10-14~ min) and we'll run 2-3 times a week. Feels good.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
According to someone I had the horror of talking to at Family Advocacy on Fort Benning, there's a baby shaken or beaten to death by a soldier every 3 - 6 weeks.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

not caring here posted:

According to someone I had the horror of talking to at Family Advocacy on Fort Benning, there's a baby shaken or beaten to death by a soldier every 3 - 6 weeks.

That sounds like bullshit.

To add to the long list of horrible things that go on outside posts, Fort Stewart. Plenty of lovely-town-outside-of-post crime in Hinesville.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Google tells me it's probably an exaggeration (or my memory sucks), but in the ball park

http://archive.militarytimes.com/article/20130729/NEWS06/306170030/The-Army-s-hidden-child-abuse-epidemic

quote:

Nearly 30,000 children have suffered abuse or neglect in Army homes over the past decade, an Army Times investigation shows.

Beatings, torture and starvation claimed the lives of 118 Army children.

More than 1,400 children were subjected to sexual abuse.

Army Strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Annnnd some more

http://www.stripes.com/reports-of-family-violence-abuse-within-military-rise-1.148815

quote:

The report said 29 child deaths from abuse or neglect were reported to Family Advocacy last year (2010). Twelve of them were under a year old.

An active-duty troop was responsible in 76 percent of the killings, and in 65 percent of them, the alleged perpetrator was male.

Indicates that's been increasing. I may have actually remember something accurately.

• Locked thread