Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
maybe we can beat the air force in number of rapes and have more child death/abuse than their rapey-ness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
o7

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Mike-o posted:

maybe we can beat the air force in number of rapes and have more child death/abuse than their rapey-ness

That'll show em for trying to can our beloved A10

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

NTT posted:

I've started running 3 times a week with a buddy of mine who's struggling to pass his pt run. He's in his low 30s, but had low motivation to run, so i offered to drive to a track that's close to both of us (10-14~ min) and we'll run 2-3 times a week. Feels good.

There's 4 inches of snow on the ground.

I told him we're running tonight :getin:

seriously i really dont want to read about how many ptsd addled soldiers are baby killing on base

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
guess some guys didnt sate their thirst for the blood of infants over in sand people land

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

NTT posted:

There's 4 inches of snow on the ground.

I told him we're running tonight :getin:

seriously i really dont want to read about how many ptsd addled soldiers are baby killing on base

You're that dude that fat people need but who everyone else hates. Like keep pushing the ham squad to not fail their runs, I'm still not going to go running with you.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

guess some guys didnt sate their thirst for the blood of infants over in sand people land

Or maybe that's where they discovered it? :madmax:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

training.

wirefire
Feb 22, 2011
Doesn't it seem like every story of violence against a servicemember has an element left out?

During a Friday safety brief, we got informed by our 1SG and CAPT that a warrant officer in our company had gotten beaten up in a bar by locals and was in the hospital. Anyway they were trying to tell us that Korea was this dangerous place now and we should consider not even going off post (Camp Humphreys).

When it was over a couple of us went to the DFAC for breakfast. While walking there, we all agreed that this particular warrant probably brought it on himself. He was an obnoxious rear end in a top hat with a drinking problem.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Yeah, smart leadership usually doesn't even mention that stuff unless the servicemember is a well known saint that was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, otherwise everyone figures out pretty quick they probably had a hand in getting their rear end kicked. You just deal with it behind closed doors and let it die outside them, or risk having to explain cause and effect in social settings to the lowest common denominator for several hours.

Dumb leadership brings that poo poo up all the time, though, because dumb leaders tend to view everything in absolutes, and by God everyone else should, too. It was a SOLDIER that got their poo poo pushed in, therefore the locals are more than willing to kick the crap out of SOLDIERS, because we are ONE TEAM ONE FIGHT HOOAH, it's US versus THEM now. Personal accountability isn't really the message they're trying to get across, especially if it's an nco or officer, because talking about one person's poor life choices will undermine the respect you have for their entire corps, and we all know the army never fucks up royally when picking people to do Important Things in any case. It's some insane hive mind thing with a hefty dose of doublethink.

God drat I hate the view from the middle.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Androies posted:

You're that dude that fat people need but who everyone else hates. Like keep pushing the ham squad to not fail their runs, I'm still not going to go running with you.

Or maybe that's where they discovered it? :madmax:

He needs to pass his PT test, and i like to run in the cold. he had all january when the weather was nice to run himself :colbert:

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
if you dont have the ability to maintain your fitness to the insanely low standards the army requires you should be kicked out

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

7777777 posted:

if you dont have the ability to maintain your fitness to the insanely low standards the army requires you should be kicked out

when i joined i never did PT on my own and the highest i ever got was a 230. when i got to a different platoon that believed in doing PT on your own i was scoring in the 280s within like... six weeks.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Cole posted:

when i joined i never did PT on my own and the highest i ever got was a 230. when i got to a different platoon that believed in doing PT on your own i was scoring in the 280s within like... six weeks.

heart

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Cole posted:

same, probably because prt is useless and you end up spending more time "warming up" and "cooling down" than you do actually working out

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

7777777 posted:

same, probably because prt is useless and you end up spending more time "warming up" and "cooling down" than you do actually working out

HRT exists to prevent pogs from injuring their out of shape fat asses and spending half the work week in sick call; the one time when motrin & water is actually the most appropriate treatment. Basically do everything possible to keep them from attempting actual exercise, then go back to fixing my loving radio or reinstalling my email certificate

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I thought it was to make everyone feel like loving idiots and was a sneaky way to make people run 5 days a week out of shame.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

NTT posted:

He needs to pass his PT test, and i like to run in the cold. he had all january when the weather was nice to run himself :colbert:

I love guys like you. Except when we're actually running, then I hate guys like you. You're just so drat cheerful at mile 7.

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Best part was properly pacing yourself, and striding by those motherfuckers at mile 7 not even breathing hard, while the dudes that ran flat out are hating life.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

Cole posted:

See some platoons try this but most of the time there's gonna be that fat rear end in a top hat who interprets "do PT on your own" to mean "eat more pizza bites and play video games" and dies running the 2 mile for the APFT and ruins it for everyone else.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Androies posted:

See some platoons try this but most of the time there's gonna be that fat rear end in a top hat who interprets "do PT on your own" to mean "eat more pizza bites and play video games" and dies running the 2 mile for the APFT and ruins it for everyone else.

it was in the battalion scouts platoon. you had to try out to get in. we got treated like adults. we would get off when our work was done instead of waiting on the 1sgt to finish doing whatever he was doing. when we did ruck marches we were allowed to have headphones because we would go off post. or PL would unzip his top and usually run the entire ruck because it was at your own pace, just be done by a certain time. we were mostly on a first name basis. when we went to the field dudes would bring tents and we would do beer runs when training was done, and then we would sleep in until like 9am, fire off a few thousand rounds and just hang out for the rest of the day until the battalion expected us back. guys would even bring their own personal firearms to the range.

we were the most hardcore wannabe SF dudes you could ask for if you were infantry and it loving ruled. one of the biggest catches was you had to maintain a 270 PT score and do a 5 mile run in less than 40 minutes. i got my PT score up to 295 and did the 5 miler in 34 minutes. i would've re-enlisted if i could've stayed in that platoon.

then i got orders to korea and the rest is history.

so yeah, if you just didn't do PT you would get kicked back to the line and have to deal with all the regular army bullshit.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Androies posted:

My PSG scheduled no organized PT in Afghanistan despite spending 90% of our time on the FOB. We found it encouraged and empowered the junior NCOs to schedule smaller group sessions with their joes where they did workouts they enjoyed with their friends, and in the end we didn't have any problems with people hanging out and doing nothing. It also helped that I had really good NCOs that took a positive approach to fitness rather than the standard "run you into the ground until your joints are grinding" technique that's oh so common.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

yeah my deployment was the opposite

aka constant loving mandatory PT when we weren't outside the wire. It was gay and annoying.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Same.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

psydude posted:

My PSG scheduled no organized PT in Afghanistan despite spending 90% of our time on the FOB. We found it encouraged and empowered the junior NCOs to schedule smaller group sessions with their joes where they did workouts they enjoyed with their friends, and in the end we didn't have any problems with people hanging out and doing nothing. It also helped that I had really good NCOs that took a positive approach to fitness rather than the standard "run you into the ground until your joints are grinding" technique that's oh so common.

It's not that people in the army are opposed to exercise, I think, just the institutional retardation that the army considers exercise. Big boy rules almost always seem to get better results, at least during deployments. You can only jerk off, nap, and play spades so many times.

Getting big groups of people together in a place where explosives regularly rained from the sky never made much sense to me, always had a hard time wrapping my head around it when I saw that on FOBs.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Suntan Boy posted:

Getting big groups of people together in a place where explosives regularly rained from the sky never made much sense to me, always had a hard time wrapping my head around it when I saw that on FOBs.

It's very easy to understand that when you take into account that someone higher ranking than you will gladly sacrifice your well being and even your life for a bullet point.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

It's very easy to understand that when you take into account that someone higher ranking than you will gladly sacrifice your well being and even your life for a bullet point.

I was trying to figure out a way to explain the warped mindset of the average O3/E7+ on BAF/KAF and it just made me angry so I stopped.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Suntan Boy posted:

It's not that people in the army are opposed to exercise, I think, just the institutional retardation that the army considers exercise. Big boy rules almost always seem to get better results, at least during deployments. You can only jerk off, nap, and play spades so many times.

dont forget the neon yellow belts worn by everyone in the large group

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

LeoMarr posted:

the new sergeant major of the army released a video of him doing PT with dudes at fort myer in the new black PT getup.

they were not wearing PT belts.

i was shocked. like, legit shocked.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

"Do as I say, not as I do."

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

"Do as I say, not as I do."

My mom said that once. I said "but actions speak louder than words."

She slapped me and said "what did that one tell you?"

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Cole posted:

My mom said that once. I said "but actions speak louder than words."

She slapped me and said "what did that one tell you?"

The same thing everyone in GIP keeps telling you.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LeoMarr posted:

When I was on KAF they were color-coded between officer, NCO, and enlisted.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

When I was on BAF, they actually didn't give a poo poo about PT belts or eye pro, but that may have been because we lived in the Army slums to the east of the runway instead of on Disney. At Ghazni, nobody really cared about uniform standards.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
Am I the only one in a unit that doesn't wear PT belts anymore?

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Cole posted:

doing PT with dudes at fort myer

they were not wearing PT belts.

Dude, I'm ON Ft. Myer and I'll assure you we still wear PT belts, new PT gear or no.

Edit: Proof that SMA does what SMA wants to (SMA Chandler at the last Army 10-Miler)

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

The BAF and KAF weirdness has always been at the mercy of the division HQ in charge. When 1st cav had BAF I believe was the worst - MPs issuing tickets for failure to have a weapon or eyepro equipped.

KAF was under 10th mtn div HQ for a while and the color coded pt belt for e/NCO/o has always been a thing at Drum.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Zeris posted:

The BAF and KAF weirdness has always been at the mercy of the division HQ in charge. When 1st cav had BAF I believe was the worst - MPs issuing tickets for failure to have a weapon or eyepro equipped.

KAF was under 10th mtn div HQ for a while and the color coded pt belt for e/NCO/o has always been a thing at Drum.

That's when I was there, right when 10th mtn was switching out with the 82nd. Didn't notice any real changes, but that's probably because the CG was busy forcibly railing out his assistant.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/03/20/sinclair-general-affair-subordinate-army-sexual-assault/6557033/

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Zeris posted:

I personally wore eyepro every waking second of my deployment

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

dude got so much poo poo from G-level leadership for that photo, along with his entire command group from what i remember. they were so butthurt that he wasnt in full uniform.

• Locked thread