Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jim actually elaborated on this. He was one of the playtesters for 4E, and one of his main complaints was that combats were too long.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

With the to-hit math hosed up as it was prior to Weapon Expertise, I can see it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

NGDBSS posted:

Ah, the perennial "it feels like D&D" that is in all probability founded on nostalgia.
Someone mentioned that he probably wouldn't have time to read "20+ splatbooks" for another game...and yet he had already purchased/read/memorized the entire 3.x library.
Thats a pretty legitimate stance regardless of edition for someone who has a job/life/spouse and is having fun with the game they are playing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Error 404 posted:

Yeah that's old. And makes me sad. Et tu, Jim?

I mean he does write a book series about a dude that walks around in a fedora and trenchcoat and believes in olde fashioned gentlemen courtesy like holding doors for m'lady

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

I don't think that should come as a surprise to anyone who's read any of his books.

I remember an afterword saying how much he liked and was inspired by the World of Gor series.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

FRINGE posted:

Thats a pretty legitimate stance regardless of edition for someone who has a job/life/spouse and is having fun with the game they are playing.
It's the juxtaposition of the two that's the weird thing, really.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I mean he does write a book series about a dude that walks around in a fedora and trenchcoat and believes in olde fashioned gentlemen courtesy like holding doors for m'lady
In all fairness, so far as I recall he's been called out on the (at least mildly chauvinistic) "chivalry" on multiple occasions by all sorts of characters, up to and including himself.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

NGDBSS posted:

In all fairness, so far as I recall he's been called out on the (at least mildly chauvinistic) "chivalry" on multiple occasions by all sorts of characters, up to and including himself.
It also seems like a Harry Dresden character thing, I dont remember it being in the Alera stuff?

NGDBSS posted:

It's the juxtaposition of the two that's the weird thing, really.
Well, "I read all these books when I was young and had free time" doesnt really compare to people pushing them to change games years later. I shoved tons of 1e/2e crap into my brain and will never do anything comparable again time-wise.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Nuns with Guns posted:

I mean he does write a book series about a dude that walks around in a fedora and trenchcoat and believes in olde fashioned gentlemen courtesy like holding doors for m'lady

I don't think Harry Dresden is supposed to be any sort of role model, I mean he's constantly loving up and making things worse for everyone. And when he does do right by other people it's usually at ruinous personal cost that leaves him even more broken inside.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I don't think Harry Dresden is supposed to be any sort of role model, I mean he's constantly loving up and making things worse for everyone. And when he does do right by other people it's usually at ruinous personal cost that leaves him even more broken inside.
Many of the characters that keep him on-track are women for that matter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

NGDBSS posted:

The funny thing is that, looking at the thread, he's not terribly wrong. Someone mentioned that he probably wouldn't have time to read "20+ splatbooks" for another game...and yet he had already purchased/read/memorized the entire 3.x library. :ironicat:

Yeah it's pretty much spot-on. If you already know how 3.5 works, but then you want to play Cthulhu or a techno-thriller kind of game, there's a pull towards buying a d20 product instead of an entirely new system because there's less for you to learn.

Of course, the flipside is someone buying 4e, jumping straight into a level 10 character or something because they're self-proclaimed experts at D&D, loving it up and then blaming it back on the system.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

MadScientistWorking posted:

Uhhhh.... Raggi is arguably just as worst for the industry as Zak is. At least on the outside having a guy sing the praises of a white supremacist isn't something that is bound to draw people.

Yeah no poo poo, I'm well aware of that. But he's carved out his own little OSR kingdom with a bunch of people publishing underneath him, and inevitably when you talk about OSR he crops up in the discussion somewhere down the line. He's made money off of being a gross and reprehensible neckbeard.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I don't think Harry Dresden is supposed to be any sort of role model, I mean he's constantly loving up and making things worse for everyone. And when he does do right by other people it's usually at ruinous personal cost that leaves him even more broken inside.

Yeah I think the entire point of Dresden is that he comes off as some dumb self-insert at first glance, until you take a closer look and realize he's actually kind of a loser that doesn't know what he's doing half the time.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 25, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Nuns with Guns posted:

I mean he does write a book series about a dude that walks around in a fedora and trenchcoat and believes in olde fashioned gentlemen courtesy like holding doors for m'lady

The only place in the books where Dresden wears a hat is on the covers. It's RPG-level bad art direction from the early books that caught on as a bad reoccurring joke as the hat gets bigger and more prominent.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also I've read maybe ten of those books and I don't remember Harry Dresden ever making it to the end of one without being seriously, horribly injured (he takes a hand injury in one of them that bothers and impairs him for several books, for example).

I can't find it- does anybody have those old Usenet posts from the 80s and 90s where people are complaining that AD&D 2 and 3E ate too video gamey?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Pope Guilty posted:

Also I've read maybe ten of those books and I don't remember Harry Dresden ever making it to the end of one without being seriously, horribly injured (he takes a hand injury in one of them that bothers and impairs him for several books, for example).

A proud noir tradition.

Pope Guilty posted:

I can't find it- does anybody have those old Usenet posts from the 80s and 90s where people are complaining that AD&D 2 and 3E ate too video gamey?

unc!tim
More options Oct 20 1982, 6:28 am
Newsgroups: net.games.frp
From: unc!tim
Date: Wed Oct 20 06:28:39 1982
Subject: AD&D sucks

In a possibly vain attempt to get some discussion on this group, I will now come out of the closet
publicly and say I think that Advanced Dungeons and Dragons is a very poor excuse for a game. Gary Gygax has no conception of how books are actually used in a play situation, and a very poor ability to understand hand-to-hand combat. Further, the magic system is totally counter-intuitive. Finally, the importance of magic items (as well as the ideas of class and level) depersonalizes characters, leading to a "rogue"- type environment. (Oh yes, the description of gods in terms of hit dice, etc., is totally useless to the DM, and the unarmed combat system is an atrocity; sorry to have forgotten these.) The only reason that AD&D is the most popular FRP game around is that it has a major lead on the others--unfortunately, TSR has not used this time to improve the rules, only to lengthen them.

The only game I know of that's worse than AD&D, aside from basic D&D, is Tunnels and Trolls. Both RuneQuest and The Fantasy Trip provide much better alternatives, and I am told that SPI's DragonQuest (now owned by TSR) is hard to learn but very smooth once one learns it. I strongly recommend that any AD&D player buy RuneQuest and play a few games before further glorifying their rather primitive game.

I suppose I should be afraid to sign my name,
Tim Maroney (unc!tim)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Now I feel old - I was alive (albeit a mere infant) when that was posted.

The Fantasy Trip was the proto-GURPS, wasn't ti?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Nessus posted:

Now I feel old - I was alive (albeit a mere infant) when that was posted.

The Fantasy Trip was the proto-GURPS, wasn't ti?

I was resting comfortably in the void when that was posted. And basically, yeah.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Lightning Lord posted:

It's really weird Mikan got the brunt of the Zak Blast. Why her?

You just said why.

For some odd reason, the vast majority of Zak S's targets are all minorities! Zak S has a strange but surely coincidental habit of mostly attacking people who aren't straight white cis men! If I recall, his whole thing with David Hill even originated from him (that is to say, Zak) being mad at his (that is to say, David's) wife, Filamena Young, about something.

EDIT:

Really Pants posted:

I heard once that SA is nothing but a bunch of filthy SJWs

Serf posted:

This appears to be the latest perception.

It's worth mentioning that 4chan has been decried as having been taken over by the SJW menace. It's not so much that Something Awful has become better, it's more that particular groups of people on the internet have gotten way, way worse.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 25, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I came back to 70 new posts and a renewed conviction in what I put in the OP about Zak and Pundit.

quote:

You know what I'm talking about. Spells like Goodberry that produce 10 berries that each can create a merry-go-round of people getting knocked to 0 hp and then getting right back up, feeding a berry to someone else, etc.

Considering how easy it is to get them, it seems like it'll just shatter any immersion with people walking around with a bag of them every day.

Is it supposed to be this way?

Couldn't another player use their own Action to feed the downed character a berry though? Same with a health potion.
Not to be flip about it, but if you want it to be that way, sure.

The DMG specifically mentions spending an action to consume a potion or to administer a potion to another character, so there it would seem to explicitly allow giving a potion to another (presumably unconscious) character. There is no similar wording for Goodberry.

You could make an argument that one might give unconscious people liquids, but never solids because of the danger of choking. And you could make a counterargument of "magic!"

If you're in the position that popping Goodberries into the mouth of a downed character to pop them back up in combat is goofy/anti-immersional/whate-have-you (and honestly, I'm with you on that), there's nothing in the rules to say that it should be allowed*.

And nothing to say it shouldn't*.

* As far as I know...

Is it supposed to be this way?

I think that 5th ed is a different beast from 3e and 4e altogether. See my sig for my thoughts on it.

TL;DR version is "It is as if the design team would have had an epiphany that it is not their problem what goes on in each individual gaming table, it is the job of the dungeon masters to even things out. This is a real improvement to the viewpoint that both 3.x and 4e tried to convey. “We tell you how it is supposed to be played”."

Man, don't loving expect the people who wrote the rules to tell you what those rules mean, you entitled baby.

Anyway, what's Fate like? Give me the low-down on the system!

quote:

Biggest low-down for me?

Evil Hat engages in predatory antitrust practices. One would think that a publisher that's basically an elevated indie would know better than perpetuating the cycle of crap among publishers, and instead of that, as soon as they got power of their own, they started "doing unto others."

That's the reason why I refuse to support them on principle.

Ah, Games People Play. I remember when I first discovered you. :allears: What's the most recent TG-related strip?

quote:

This week's comic is not about what's right or wrong, there's already a sizable number of people on both camp Marge Simpson and camp Itchy&Scratchy, both fighting for what each side believes is right, and as I mentioned last week on google, currently I don't have the energy to play Dr. Marvin Monroe.

...having said that, independently of what the canned adventure happened to be about, whoever happens to be as stupid as to release a book named TOURNAMENT OF RAPISTS in this day and age deserves what's coming at him. Really, what did the author (or anyone, for that matter) thought it was going to happen?

And then, this act of idiocy was what gave the usual suspects the excuse they needed to take OBS over, and for that, Otherverse Games, I hold YOU as direct responsible for all that's happening.

I blame you for bringing the usual suspects a Franz Ferdinand to raise WW-I over.

I blame you for plunging us into yet another Great Shitstorm of Our Times(tm).

I blame you for costing us OBS and endangering the whole hobby.

gently caress you, Otherverse Games.

gently caress you.

:crossarms:

This is like some infinitely-curved victim-blaming poo poo.

PS These very ethics-minded people continue to parade around a big Fred Hicks effigy every time this poo poo comes up, because they are very concerned with accurate reportage you see.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

quote:

Evil Hat engages in predatory antitrust practices. One would think that a publisher that's basically an elevated indie would know better than perpetuating the cycle of crap among publishers, and instead of that, as soon as they got power of their own, they started "doing unto others."

Is this about that Gamergate card game that Evil Hat didn't want to share space with, or are they referring to something new this time?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is this about that Gamergate card game that Evil Hat didn't want to share space with, or are they referring to something new this time?

Yes, it's over a non-Hicks employee of Evil Hat tweeting off the cuff about possibly discussing with other employees whether or not they want to share space with Desbo's "neutral" GamerGate card game. Which immediately morphed into Fred Hicks breaking Wieck's legs with a tire iron outside the OBS office.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 25, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

I don't think that should come as a surprise to anyone who's read any of his books.

I remember an afterword saying how much he liked and was inspired by the World of Gor series.
what?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Slimnoid posted:

Yeah no poo poo, I'm well aware of that. But he's carved out his own little OSR kingdom with a bunch of people publishing underneath him, and inevitably when you talk about OSR he crops up in the discussion somewhere down the line. He's made money off of being a gross and reprehensible neckbeard.
Yeah but the guy is probably got the most mainstream support out of anyone in the industry. He's not exactly isolated in that regard and honestly having talked to him in the past makes me side eye anyone who does willingly work with him because he readily admits that he pretty much takes inspiration from racist and sexist dreck.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

MadScientistWorking posted:

Yeah but the guy is probably got the most mainstream support out of anyone in the industry. He's not exactly isolated in that regard and honestly having talked to him in the past makes me side eye anyone who does willingly work with him because he readily admits that he pretty much takes inspiration from racist and sexist dreck.

I'm not really disagreeing or arguing with you on those points, though? Like, I'm pretty much in full agreement with you on the guy.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's worth mentioning that 4chan has been decried as having been taken over by the SJW menace. It's not so much that Something Awful has become better, it's more that particular groups of people on the internet have gotten way, way worse.

yeah I noticed a huge drop in poo poo posting on /tg/ when reddit was made. Which has apparently gotten worse? All I hear about reddit anymore is how its some insane misogyny hellscape that can't be contained by the site owners.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

TheTatteredKing posted:

yeah I noticed a huge drop in poo poo posting on /tg/ when reddit was made. Which has apparently gotten worse? All I hear about reddit anymore is how its some insane misogyny hellscape that can't be contained by the site owners.

It's not so much that they can't contain it inasmuch as the site owners are too lazy/incompetent to try.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Plague of Hats posted:

I came back to 70 new posts and a renewed conviction in what I put in the OP about Zak and Pundit.

Out of all the stuff you posted here, the thing that made me the angriest was "immersional."

Slimnoid posted:

It's not so much that they can't contain it inasmuch as the site owners are too lazy/incompetent to try.

You forgot "insanely successful" since I'm sure they're pretty loath to tinker with their ridiculous business model where racists give other racists internet money for being so good at being racists.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

TheTatteredKing posted:

yeah I noticed a huge drop in poo poo posting on /tg/ when reddit was made. Which has apparently gotten worse? All I hear about reddit anymore is how its some insane misogyny hellscape that can't be contained by the site owners.

Might be related to the mass exodus of #gg idiots to 8chan/KiA because Moot betrayed them to The Dark Queen Sarkeesian

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Might be related to the mass exodus of #gg idiots to 8chan/KiA because Moot betrayed them to The Dark Queen Sarkeesian

That was more of a /v/ thing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bedlamdan posted:

That was more of a /v/ thing.

Weren't they overrunning a bunch of the other boards to "rally the troops"/argue with anyone making fun of them?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Weren't they overrunning a bunch of the other boards to "rally the troops"/argue with anyone making fun of them?

Well there was /pol/, but that's just a shitshow.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Slimnoid posted:

It's not so much that they can't contain it inasmuch as the site owners are too lazy/incompetent to try.

Proper moderation is also really difficult and time-consuming and would be very expensive, which is why most for-profit companies have been ignoring the need for it for as long as possible.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TheTatteredKing posted:

yeah I noticed a huge drop in poo poo posting on /tg/ when reddit was made. Which has apparently gotten worse? All I hear about reddit anymore is how its some insane misogyny hellscape that can't be contained by the site owners.

And racism. Don't forget the racism.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bedlamdan posted:

Well there was /pol/, but that's just a shitshow.

Fair enough.

Speaking of KiA, it's fun to do a search there sometimes for mentions of Blue Rose

If they want to create a feminist and progressive game setting, let 'em. That doesn't bug me an iota.

It's when they demand that every/any other setting be feminist and progressive that I get pissed off.
Why wait? You know that's next on their agenda.
Yeah, but I'll criticize them for that part of their agenda. I've already seen some serious idiocy coming out of the Tabletop Gaming companies on this front. But this particular complaint just goes nowhere with me. And I say this as someone who regards 'feminist' and 'progressive' as slurs more than anything.

I'm friends with a lot of RPG developers on facebook, and a lot of them are incredibly PC. Just last week two of them got into a fight which I have translated and summarised below.

Hey, I just read through your latest manuscript, the sourcebook for Borasec, and I found it pretty appalling.

Seriously? Why?

It's full of misogynistic themes!

Well, it is set in a medieval society, there's bound to be some gender inequality.

No, it's set in a FANTASY world. Key word being FANTASY. You didn't have to make it misogynistic, but you went ahead and did it anyway.

Sure, but that if there were no racial-, gender-, class- or other societal conflicts in the setting it would less relateable and less believeable. Not to mention the fact that a setting without conflicts just isn't that exciting to play in.

You just literally confirmed that the whole thing is just one of your male power fantasies.

What? No I didn't. The whole setting isn't patriarchal, there are plenty of factions and societies with full gender equality and one of the largest and most powerful nations operates on what is essentially gender flipped sharia laws.

That is also a male power fantasy.

W-what?

Clearly you are too delusional to see the issue, and I will no longer waste my time on you. You are the reason women feel threatened by the rpg community. Never contact me again.

... the gently caress just happened?

Perhaps your friends should go play Blue Rose.

The PCs are all free-loving feminist genderfluid hippies, who deal with the evil, racist inhabitants of Heterosexualia by either stabbing them in the face, or mind raping magically unlocking the goodness of gender-fluidity within them.

This game is not satire.

But if that's not extreme enough still too problematic, let me tell you about Wraeththu...

Also, the Good Kingdom is run by a magical mind-reading stag. The evil kingdom is run by a man, and the really evil kingdom is run by a lich.

If I ever try Blue Rose, I'm going to run it like Paranoia.

"You have displeased Friend Stag, citizen. Please report to the Glade of a Thousand Screams Tickles for Re-Education."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I love that they not only put Blue Rose and Wraethuthu on the same spectrum, but they put them both on the same side of the spectrum.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kurieg posted:

I love that they not only put Blue Rose and Wraethuthu on the same spectrum, but they put them both on the same side of the spectrum.

I dunno about you but I see many parallels between an innocuous magical kingdom where the ruler is picked out by a walking "detect good" spell and a game where everyone plays anime bishounens raping more anime bishounens into existence with their flower dicks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Perhaps your friends should go play Blue Rose.

Out of context this is extremely good advice.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I dunno about you but I see many parallels between an innocuous magical kingdom where the ruler is picked out by a walking "detect good" spell and a game where everyone plays anime bishounens raping more anime bishounens into existence with their flower dicks

Your name is now Boline.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nuns with Guns posted:

I mean he does write a book series about a dude that walks around in a fedora and trenchcoat and believes in olde fashioned gentlemen courtesy like holding doors for m'lady

harry doesn't do hats

Slimnoid posted:

Yeah I think the entire point of Dresden is that he comes off as some dumb self-insert at first glance, until you take a closer look and realize he's actually kind of a loser that doesn't know what he's doing half the time.

in the murphy story in changes she talks about how most of the time harry is this big autismal weirdo who kinda looks at the ground and mumbles and tries to be nice in an old-fashioned way and then as soon as there's Magic poo poo to deal with he's a big boomin doofus making sweeping gestures and waving his arms around and weirding people out that way. he's basically the ur-goon

he has a sweet dog though so it evens out in the end

Nuns with Guns posted:

a game where everyone plays anime bishounens raping more anime bishounens into existence with their flower dicks

grandpa simpsons turns around dot gif

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I dunno about you but I see many parallels between an innocuous magical kingdom where the ruler is picked out by a walking "detect good" spell and a game where everyone plays anime bishounens raping more anime bishounens into existence with their flower dicks

Their flower dicks that ejaculate acid, no less.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Anyone complaining about generic fantasy Europe should love Constantines Wraethu!

  • Locked thread