Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Oh hey they're discussing Jennifer Clarke-Wilkes' layoff on EN World! No wait they're discussing her layoff on EN World :(

quote:

Yep. I'm out. I'm tired of feeling bad about being white and male because of things I've never done or perpetuated. I've never met another white male gamer who was any different than I am on that point. I loathe this perspective of discrimination that keeps getting perpetuated. Not once have I or anyone I know told a woman who was interested in gaming with us to hit the bricks. Isn't it possible that due to its subject matter the hobby might actually appeal more to males in general? That doesn't mean it discriminates. Plumbers are mostly male. Graphic designers tend to be female by the numbers. Some hobbies and careers attract more of one gender than the other. Why is this perceived as something that needs to be "corrected"?

I don't care who writes or illustrates my books. Just be good. I want quality and equality but not if one sacrifices the other so we can all pat ourselves on the back and tell people how progressive we are.

quote:

Being pleased with diversity is a nice side effect of fair hiring. Pushing diversity for the sake of diversity is not only stupid, but discriminatory.

Transphobic is a fear of trans... what? Transmissions, transportation, transporters (Dr. McCoy), transcendence, transvestites, transcontinental railroads? Not agreeing with accepting that someone is actually "Napolean Bonaparte of the Third Terran Intergalactic Empire" just because they claim to be, regardless of facts, does not mean that someone is afraid of something.

"Pushing" artificial diversity and acceptance of irrational ignorance of facts is very much SJW politics, which is why I don't want to be having this discussion on a table top gaming site.

quote:

Can I just state something I've observed? This will also show why it is I am an anti-SJW despite believing in the essential goals of equality.

Take a look at what ad_hoc said: "Feeling that gender does not matter is a privilege." Okay, that's nice... and isn't that same feeling, one backed by social mechanisms, the goal of gender equality? And given that it is a privilege, doesn't that mean that gender equality is not out to destroy privilege, but to gain it for those who do not have it? After all, if it were out to destroy privilege and what ad_hoc says is true, then one of the things gender equality movements would be out to destroy is the feeling that gender does not matter. And, it doesn't take a genius to see that destroying that feeling utterly would create even more injustice and oppression than currently exists.

That and replying to someone pointing out they are raising their daughter to feel that gender doesn't matter (another stated goal of gender equality) and that she shouldn't feel victimized (another stated goal of gender equality) is a marginalization of an whole group's problems with how society treats them kinda suggests the real goal of the SJW side of gender equality is the marginalization of the very groups they are fighting for. Is it, perhaps, no coincidence that the first President in history who treats women's issues seriously and is very much a gender equality SJW is also the one who coincides with a downturn in women's rights within law, then?

I am not saying gender equality is not an issue that should not be fought for. I'm saying that, in a way, you and ad_hoc are almost coming across as saying that the very goals of the gender equality movement are inherently discriminatory towards the people that movement is fighting for. I don't necessarily agree, but it's hard to side with you when you're undermining your own argument.

Not saying that equality is not deserved or that you are actually wrong. What I am doing is tossing this out there so you have an idea of an essential logic weakness within your stance.

quote:

Why is it a male dominated hobby? Simple. It has a lot of things guys like. Swords, dragons, magic, etc. A lot of us got in to this hobby as teens and for a teenage guy that's all pretty cool stuff. Do girls like this stuff? Sure, and that's why we're seeing a growing female player base. But the way you are couching your comments make it sound like we males are going out of our way to tell female players to stay out. We're not. Some might, but the majority of us are simply not that uptight.

Another simple answer, and the one I feel a lot of people overlook is guys and girls like different things. On occasion those interests cross over. I know guys who like the Twilight movies and girls who like Godzilla movies but that isn't the societal norm. I also have a daughter and a son who are free to play with whatever toys they want. They gravitated towards the things that are made for their respective genders. Was this foisted on them? No. Even at a very early age, before peer pressure would even play a factor, my son loved trucks and my daughter loved dolls. Cliche' true, but as parents we never told them what to play with.

If a majority of women like one thing and a majority of men like another thing this isn't a problem that needs correcting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread