Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Knitting is a gateway drug. Spinning, even more so. You end up with piles and piles of beautiful hand-spun yarn in your stash but rarely enough of any one yarn to make anything larger than a scarf or hat from.

And then there are art yarns – bulky, twisty, textured, beehived, beautiful, but hell to try to knit or crochet with. Or it’s gorgeous, but just not quite right to knit, so it sits there in your stash.

Staring at you.

Well… have you considered weaving?

WEAVING HISTORY

Wikipedia describes weaving as the process of creating fabric using a loom to interlace two sets of threads at right angles to each other: the warp which runs longitudinally and the weft that crosses it. There are some indications that weaving was already known in the Paleolithic era and by biblical times had spread through all the large civilization centers.

Like the earliest spinners, weavers of that time had only crude looms and tools which were extremely labor intensive. The first looms needed two people to create the shed, while a third was required to pass the warp thread through the opening.

OKAY, BUT WHAT’S A LOOM?

At its simplest, a loom is just a frame threaded with string. You may have had a potholder loom or “zoom loom” as a kid. There are knitting looms also, but we’re going to focus on the two most commonly used by hand weavers today, floor looms and rigid heddles.

BUT WHAT CAN I MAKE WITH THIS?

The width of your loom is the main constraint on what you can make. My loom in the picture above is a counterbalance 4-harness, with a 20” weaving width and an 8-dent reed (8 spaces to the inch). So I’m going to be limited to scarves, table runners, placemats, kitchen towels and the like once I finally figure out what I’m doing.

PARTS OF A FLOOR LOOM

The warp threads run longitudinally, and are tied onto the loom’s front roller (exact terminology varies but it’s the bit under the breast beam) and threaded through a reed, which spaces them out and holds them in place. They are then threaded through heddles which hang in a set of shafts or harnesses that are usually suspended from the center of the loom, called the castle. The threads then are tied onto the back of the loom and cranked onto a back roller to put the entire warp under tension. The harnesses are tied to treadles which raise or lower one or more of the harnesses when pressed, and consequently lifting or lowering the warp threads that are threaded through the heddles on that harness. This creates the shed, the space where the weft thread is passed through the two sets of warp threads. Once you’ve passed the weft thread through the space, step off the treadle to return all the warp threads to neutral, and pull back on the beater to pack the weft down to the bottom of the warp. Keep doing this and eventually you have fabric.

It’s complicated, but it makes more sense when you see it in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMxb8jx7aLM

FLOOR LOOMS

Floor looms generally are not portable – they are usually made from solid wood, so they’re heavy, take up a LOT of space (although there are some folding frame looms) and last for years. Looms are often handed down from veteran weavers to new victims those just beginning to learn the craft.

There are two main types of floor looms: Counterbalance and Countermarch.

In both countermarch and counterbalance looms the warp starts off in the center of the shed at rest, and the threads go both up and down to open the shed. The difference between the two loom types is in the way this happens.

On a counterbalance loom, the shafts are connected to each other via pulleys or jacks above the shafts. When you step on a treadle, one shaft is pulled down, and the connected shaft is therefore pulled up. So, for most counterbalance looms, the same number of shafts always goes up as goes down, and the combinations of shafts you can raise or lower depends on which shaft is connected to which. Counterbalance looms are limited as to shaft number (usually four) and possible sheds, hence pattern possibilities.

On a countermarch loom, every treadle is connected to a lamm below the shafts. There are two sets of lamms for every shaft, one that will make it go down, one that will make it go up (via cords and jacks above the shafts). The drawback is that you have to tie every shaft to every treadle, either to make the shaft go up or go down. If you don’t, the shaft won’t move at all and its threads will remain in the middle of the shed. Countermarch looms are time-consuming to tie up, but the advantage is that you have more freedom in the combinations of shafts you can raise or lower than you do with a counterbalance loom.

RIGID HEDDLE LOOMS

Rigid heddle looms are far less complicated and can get beginning weavers started quickly, easily and require a much smaller investment in time and money. They come in various widths, and I have seen them up to 32” weaving width. You can weave with them on an optional floor stand, a table or probably even in your lap in a pinch. They’re lightweight and portable and take up far less space than a floor loom. Most come with just one heddle, which is also your reed and your beater but can be expanded to two or more.

THIS IS A TERRIBLE OP AND YOU SOUND LIKE YOU DON’T’ KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS.

I really don’t. I’m just starting to learn how to weave and as you can see, I’m already making mistakes:

The first few gold warp threads on the left are threaded wrong, and my weft is all wavy, and let’s pretend we don’t see how ragged my edges are. :saddowns:

It’s also my first OP and it’s already ridiculously long. But there are tons of online resources (to The Google!) and over 100 Ravelry weaving groups. Here are a couple more:

Weaving Today
Weavolution

So, do you weave and can you lend any advice for those of us trying to learn? What’s on YOUR loom, Goon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I have a 4 shaft counter balance loom (roughly 38" weaving width) that I picked up in a craigslist deal. I also have an 18" Kromski Harp rigid heddle loom. So far I've made scarves, a couple baby blankets, and just played around with stuff. I might start making baby wraps in a few months, after I get finished with a few more projects that I'm working on.

One thing I noticed in the picture posted of your weaving, is you say the gold threads are mis-threaded. Parts of them look correctly woven, so it might just be that the threads are sticking together when you change the shed. Try changing the shed and moving the beater/reed forward like you just threw a pick of yarn, and then put it back. That should clear out any threads that are stuck together. I had this problem A LOT using some very sticky wool yarn to make a twill scarf.

EDIT: Some of the crap I've made

Baby blanket for my nephew:

(also a cat hammock for a jerkass cat)

Scarves made with warp yarn that I dyed:

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 5, 2015

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Your OP is just fine!

My first loom was the most ghetto of ghetto box-and-chopsticks monstrosity, that somehow I managed to weave one single band on before the entire thing exploded.

I learned to weave in the SCA on an inkle loom - I currently own three looms, two inkle and one rigid heddle. I don't actually have a whole lot of photos of regular bands that I've woven on the inkle, but most of them are similar to this... only minus the snake.

Lately though, my weaving passion has been tablet/card weaving, and I've been teaching myself. It's.. complected, but stupidly fun once you get the rhythm of it down. Here are a few pieces I've done.

This was my first tablet woven band that I completed. The design is historical - and the most basic design you can make with cards. There are a lot of extant pieces with this same chevron design - for example, this islamic piece that dates from ~1000AD

This was a camera strap - a gift to a beloved instructor as a retirement present. I think I shocked him when I told him I made it by hand. :)

My kitty hates the loom. He's my tension tester - quite often he decides he's going to plow right through the middle of whatever I'm working on. Or attack it randomly because strings are a huge threat to his personal safety.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Those all look great! I have an inkle loom too, but I haven't done much with it.

I'm inching along on my first weave:

I looked at the underside this morning, and saw that those two threads that had been bothering me weren't woven in at all - just barely caught in one or two places. So.... I clipped them and pulled them out! :ohdear:

They looked like I had them threaded through the reed in the same dent. I think there may be a problem with my shafts, too - they don't seem to level out correctly when I take my foot off the treadles. Maybe it's keeping me from getting a clean shed? I know when I throw right up against the reed, it looks more "right".

(We're still not talking about my selvadges, oy)

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

LEGO? Cats? Vikings? Crafting? Yes, please!
Oh boy, weaving thread! And tablet weaving! (That drat Satyr, do you have Applesies and Fox Noses yet?)

So, I decided about a year ago that hand woven, hand spun leg wraps would be a GREAT project. And because string heddles sounded like a pain in the butt to set up, I was going to tablet weave them in order to get a nice 2/2 twill! (half of each card threaded, AB, BC, CD, DA ect)

64 cards, 14 feet of warp. I could get about 6 inches before having to re-clamp and pick out fuzzies that had bound warp threads together.

One finished, one a little under half done.

You can see a little bit of the texture, it's more pronounced in person.

because of course there's a cat.

So yeah! 600 yards of 19 wpi 2 ply drop spindle spun warp per leg, and 200 yards of the same for weft! The general consensus among my SCA group is that I hate myself. But they stick to my legs like there's velcro involved and go great with my viking garb.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

TastesLikeChicken posted:

Those all look great! I have an inkle loom too, but I haven't done much with it.

I'm inching along on my first weave:

They looked like I had them threaded through the reed in the same dent. I think there may be a problem with my shafts, too - they don't seem to level out correctly when I take my foot off the treadles. Maybe it's keeping me from getting a clean shed? I know when I throw right up against the reed, it looks more "right".

(We're still not talking about my selvadges, oy)

You should throw the shuttle right up against the reed. The bar at the bottom of the reed is called the "shuttle race" just for the shuttle to run along. It also helps keep your shuttle from jumping above the upper part of the shed, or dropping down below. My counterbalance shafts *snicker* don't level out on their own either, I think they might if I had a super tight warp, but they you run the risk of breaking a thread and making a shed would be super difficult. I have to even it out on purpose with the pedals or pushing all the shafts together by hand.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

petecas posted:

pure insanity

holy. crap. You are literally insane. I bet they're SO awesome, though. I play viking too and I am so jealous! I see you're using what looks like Lacis cards - what do you think about them? I'm hesitant to buy them because I'm wishy-washy about spending money on stuff I can just make myself - so far all of my cards have been made of flat cardboard except for a small set of 10 that I got from the same person that made my first inkle loom.

And, no unfortunately I've not gotten Applesies yet - it's on my shopping list though! I have found however that a lot of our local libraries have some really antique books on tablet weaving, and I've been nabbing those to help me on my journey of learning. Most of them are from the 70's and have patterns that you'd imagine to see from that era, but in the end it's all the same techniques. This book has been one of the better ones I've found - unfortunately out of print, though so for now it'll just be a forever-checked-out-from-the-library book for me. :/

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 8, 2015

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

The second wrap was done with Lacis cards, yes. They were a gift and were WAY more convenient to use than the playing cards I'd cut up for the first, mostly because I could put a chopstick through the center hole and put the loom down. (two adjacent hole threaded tablet weaving means I had to have a hand on the cards AT ALL TIMES or they would flop around and ruin everything).

The nice thing about homemade cards is feeling okay about markering them up. For more complicated patterns it's a relief to know "when red shows up on top, it turns the other way for THESE cards, but THOSE cards are blue and only go forward" or whatever.

Check out Historic Tablet Weaving group on facebook, there's lots of patterns in the files and pretty pretty pictures!

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Already a member! :) I just boggle at some of the stuff people make on there and think... some day. Some day....

Have you ever done any of the teeny teeny tiny tablet weaving? That stuff is totally nuts. Stuff like this (shamelessly stole from Pinterest):

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I've gone to yarn festivals where there were Tri-Loom weaving classes. I know nothing about weaving, but I'm stalking this thread, but is Tri-Loom similar to what y'all are posting? Also what kind of yarn do you use for weaving?

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Yes, and tablet/card weaving Goons please tell us more about this strange and wonderful beast. This is the first time I've encountered it and I'm :eyepop:

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

So, tablet weaving is a way of making decorative straps/belts/trim. It's a lot more robust than regular over/under weaving, mostly because you have four times the warp. Each warp thread threads through a hole in a card, which is turned to produce the shed.

All of the design also only comes from the warp. If you were to thread each card red/red/yellow/yellow, you'd get (slightly jaggy) stripes. If you offset those a little bit, you can make diagonal lines or chevrons. If you twist your cards forward four and then back four, you get diamonds. By twisting some forward and some back, you can do pretty much anything, like that teeny tiny one That drat Satyr posted (I think that's made with sewing thread?). There's a million more examples by google image'ing "tablet woven band".

The decorative bands I've made with tablet weaving so far were made with #10 crochet cotton because it comes in every color and is a good size. The next couple I'm planning on will be from homespun I'm still working on, the chunk of red I've got finished is 28 wpi so it's a little smaller. That's also for a loom-weaving project so I suppose I'll be putting pics of that up, too!

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

As petecas said - you basically are working with 4 (or more - I've seen people with cards that have up to 8 holes threaded on them which is just nuts) warp threads, and so every time you turn the cards you essentially are bringing two threads up to the top - whatever two threads are on the "top" of the card on that turn. It's really, really, REALLY difficult to describe how the more convoluted patterns work without pictures or a video unfortunately, so here are both.

A short tutorial page, that explains some of the more complected details like "S" and "Z" threading - which is the thing that will screw you up more than anything else in this type of weaving. I still screw it up pretty much every time and have to rethread half of my cards every single time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGaXrxL_8o4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R8zMPfZqmE
Incidentally, I've never actually seen the reversals done like this one. I can't believe I never thought of that. Damnit.

And this is what some of the more complicated patterns can look like once they're charted out:

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I just made my own back-strap loom (It's period for the SCA! Although mostly for South America and Central Asia. I'm calling it good for my Russian persona. During the 13th century, those areas talked to each other). It's super janky and made with whatever I could find that would work. The "strap" part started with me using a towel around my foot for tension, but then I wove a foot strap and am working on a back-strap to go with it. The major problem I'm running into is clearing the shed. The yarn (I'm using cotton) keeps getting stuck together with fuzzies. I know cotton doesn't felt, but I'll be damned if it isn't just as infuriating. And, yes, continuous string heddles are the devil's work.

The whole set up with the beginnings of my back strap:

The part closest to me. Yes, my shuttle is cardboard. It's bajankety to the max.

The foot strap I wove:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Tri loom weaving is the same idea as any other form of weaving, I've never done it, but yarns go over and under each other and make a thing. The floor/table/rigid heddle looms all have a way to lift some threads up and put some threads down so the weaving is simpler and you don't have to "over under" all the threads yourself. Tablet weaving does that too, but tri loom weaving you have to do the weave structure yourself, similar to the potholder loop looms a lot of people had as kids. It's pretty cool that it produces a finished triangle shawl instead of having to cut a square into that shape.

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

Valdara, I've heard two suggestions for fuzzies, but have tried neither. One is "a dab of conditioner in the pre-wash", but I think when it's already on a loom the best advice is "get it unfuzzied, take it outside and hair spray the bejeezus out of it"

Unverified advice from strangers on the internet! What could possibly go wrong?!

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

This thread is a bad, bad thing. I just made a deposit on a new loom just to do tablet weaving because whoops my paypal slipped.

Still being built - it'll be the sort with rachety cranks on it so the tension can be set as you work. SO PRETTY AAAAAAAA. I love purple heartwood so much. The prettiest. The guy that made this one is the same person that made my very first inkle loom (Egill's Woodstuff out of Ohio - he's a very good woodworker and sells at several SCA events if you're into that sort of stuff).

Also, more tablet blather:
This little "History of tablet weaving" was just recently posted to one of the facebook groups I'm in and it does a great job of showing and explaining the history of the art, so that's something else to look at if you're interested!
http://weavedmagic.deviantart.com/journal/Origins-of-most-popular-tablet-weaving-patterns-394709084

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

I got brave and tried some different treadlings:

and it's off the loom now! There are ugly floats toward the end because I could hardly get a shed, and I still have to finish retying the tie-on knots from the front but oh lordy it's finally done. :derp:

It's all worsted weight wool so it feels very stiff and absolutely not garment quality. I think I can fold it in half, sew the long ends together and stuff a pillow in it, maybe. :downs:

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

That drat Satyr posted:

This thread is a bad, bad thing. I just made a deposit on a new loom just to do tablet weaving because whoops my paypal slipped.

Still being built - it'll be the sort with rachety cranks on it so the tension can be set as you work. SO PRETTY AAAAAAAA. I love purple heartwood so much. The prettiest. The guy that made this one is the same person that made my very first inkle loom (Egill's Woodstuff out of Ohio - he's a very good woodworker and sells at several SCA events if you're into that sort of stuff).

Also, more tablet blather:
This little "History of tablet weaving" was just recently posted to one of the facebook groups I'm in and it does a great job of showing and explaining the history of the art, so that's something else to look at if you're interested!
http://weavedmagic.deviantart.com/journal/Origins-of-most-popular-tablet-weaving-patterns-394709084

My next backstrap loom project is going to be tablet weaving. Just as soon as I finish the STUPID loving BACK STRAP itself. I bought a rigid heddle off eBay and am hoping I can figure out a way to fit the 96 ends I have into the 59 spaces on the heddle. I don't know if that's possible. Please tell me that's possible.

Lata jie
Oct 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yay, weaving thread. And just in time for me to embark on a weaving project.

I had recently come across carbonised bamboo and spun that up.. to be knitted into a shawl of sorts with neon coloured beads. Except, after spinning and plying, I realised that the best thing to do with the bamboo was to weave it into a scarf.. luckily, mum is a vast fountain of everything crafty and had a spare 4 shaft loom I'm currently borrowing (and was able to help me string the entire thing, as I would have failed miserably without help).

Anyway, here is a picture of the bottom part of the scarf. The middle part has almost no beads in it as I figured that would add un-needed weight to the scarf.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

That's gorgeous! I managed to get one side of mine sewn today in preparation for pillowization. There's a huge horizontal float on the right side that I'm just going to embroider stars or something over like, "I meant to do that!" :blush:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Lata jie posted:

Anyway, here is a picture of the bottom part of the scarf. The middle part has almost no beads in it as I figured that would add un-needed weight to the scarf.

Is this your first weaving? That's gorgeous, I love the beads on black. Also, your salvedges are great!

Lata jie
Oct 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yep, well.. at least the first time on a 4shaft loom.. I had (as a child) played around with a kids weaving frame.

I'm still having issues keeping the width of the woven part the same, I pull too hard on the thread :( And I've come to the conclusion (less than half way) that I don't actually like weaving. It's boring (possibly due to lack of pattern) and I can't see the half-finished product and play with it, as you can with knitted things.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

WooHoo, I made a Thing! :dance:

I hope I can figure out kitchen towels. That's what actually got me started thinking about weaving.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Tried out my new heddle tonight. It makes opening the shed SO MUCH EASIER, but the weirdness I had to do to fit 98 ends into 59 openings means that the weaving pattern is all bonkers now. And I need some dedicated sticks for the tension bars. And I need a roll-up bar that will do its job.

So, it's better, but still needs some serious tweaking and is what is on it now is not even a little bit going to work for making the backstrap that I want, so I'm just going to weave until I get sick of it and sort out how to finish it off, then chalk it up to a learning experience and plan a new back strap that has even tensioning and 59 ends and is long enough.

anitsirK
May 19, 2005

I hope I can figure out kitchen towels. That's what actually got me started thinking about weaving.

Kitchen towels, you say? That's the first project I did on my own loom, after taking a couple of classes at the local guild. It's a 4 shaft counterbalance Melville, that my Mom used to use.

Here's my warp:

On the loom, with the awesome bench my husband made:

Glamour shot:

Cut apart before hemming:

Stack of finished towels:

Oh, and I thought this was interesting, since I was able to compare. This is before (on the bottom) and after wet finishing. I thought it was cool how you can see the significant difference in texture (and size - the other edge was lined up when I took this shot).

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Oh, awesome! Yes, I'm working on threading it up now. It's taken me three days just to sley the reed. 8/2 cotton :argh: it sticks to everything - itself, the other threads, me...

Also, section of warp magically jumped from one space to another when I wasn't looking, because surely I wasn't dumb enough to put 14 ends in just one dent instead of 4! :doom:

anitsirK
May 19, 2005

Oh, awesome! Yes, I'm working on threading it up now. It's taken me three days just to sley the reed. 8/2 cotton :argh: it sticks to everything - itself, the other threads, me...

Also, section of warp magically jumped from one space to another when I wasn't looking, because surely I wasn't dumb enough to put 14 ends in just one dent instead of 4! :doom:

Yeah, I had a really hard time getting this project threaded on... Partly because I wasn't thinking and put the counting thread more or less in the middle, and on a warp as long as this one, that meant Bad Things for trying to stay organized.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That card weaving thing is fascinating :stare: I may be about to do something terrible.

The only weaving type thing I've ever done was a bit of braiding with a lucet. This should be fun!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I know they say that card weaving is just for bands, but how big can you really get?

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Pile of Kittens posted:

I know they say that card weaving is just for bands, but how big can you really get?

I'd guess whatever size you want, as long as you are willing to fool with that many cards at every turn. The band I've done is about 25 cards and 1/2" thick. I've seen bands up to 2" wide, and if you want anything more than a simple pattern, keeping track of how many turns each one of them has taken sounds like a very picky job me and my lack of attention to details would fail at miserably. If you are better at keeping track of things, you might could do as big as you wanted to fool with. However, I am no expert.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

My monster loom came in Friday, but we were out of town all weekend and I've only just now had time to drool all over it while scheming up what I could make.

To that end, the largest work I've seen done with cards (well, "seen" as in seen photos of) is stuff like this which they claim is 353 tablets in double faced cotton.

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

Pile of Kittens posted:

Don't forget this monstrosity, too. http://nonydt.wix.com/ecoweaving-en#!tablet-weaving/c1vvh 418 tablets.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

petecas posted:

Don't forget this monstrosity, too. http://nonydt.wix.com/ecoweaving-en#!tablet-weaving/c1vvh 418 tablets.

Holy cow! :catstare:

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

This is sort of a bleed over from the embroidery thread, but I finally decided I hated the plain border I had woven on my inkle then stitched to the wolf bag I made. After some hrming and fussing with it, I went to the yarn shop and got the tiniest, most delicate yarn I could find ( Malabrigo baby silkpaca lace ).

...And now have 10 tablets laid out weaving a new seam guard / band directly onto the bag.

This is only the second time I've tried to do the "weaving directly on to the textile to reinforce a seam" technique and... Well, I can definitely tell you I am terrified I'm now doing to destroy this thing with my ineptitude. So far so good though...

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Do you have a link to a tutorial or something? That looks very much like knitting an applied I-cord, but ..not. It's pretty amazing.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

I don't really have a tutorial, per se - but there are a couple "walk through" sort of process pictures. The problem is that most people that do this sort of thing don't speak English as their first language, so any posts or translations can be a little difficult to sort out at times. The process itself is really not that difficult, though, and is easy to figure out just by photos alone. That being said, the most helpful one that helped me was in the following post:

https://katafalk.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/open-hood-with-card-tablet-woven-edge/

But these are also helpful and show and explain the technique pretty well, as well:
http://amostpeculiarmademoiselle.blogspot.com/2011/05/tablet-woven-edge.html
http://hibernaatio.blogspot.com/2015/01/kudottu-yksityiskohta-tablet-woven.html
http://hibernaatio.blogspot.fi/2013/07/mad-mad-madder.html
http://www.amagyarjurta.com/index.php/iron-age-finnish-mantle-integrated-tablet-woven-band/

You can actually do this method with any sort of weaving you like - I made a liripipe hood based on a pattern by Katafalk (the first link above) and did the entire front edge with a basic one heddle weave in black wool and it was quite effective to pull the whole design right together. I'll take a picture of the weaving on it if anyone cares, but it's nothing special. Essentially you're doing the weaving (be that with cards, a heddle, or whatever) and every time you pass the weft, instead of going left to right and then shifting the heddle or turning the cards, then going back right to left, you just cut a length of the thread you're using as the weft, and then begin the weaving normally and then to start attaching it, do your first open shed and pass the weft, then instead of going back the other direction, stitch down and back around to the start, securing the weaving to the edge of the fabric. So, basically all you're going to be doing is ever passing the weft in one direction (I do left to right, and then make my stitches right to left).

The only crappy part about doing this on clothing is sometimes there's no good way to anchor the piece to anything so you can get good tension on the warp. With this bag, I've resorted to actually holding the bag in my left hand and pulling it taunt and making the stitches with my right. It's ghetto but it works.

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 12, 2015

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Beginning to clean and rearrange to get the room for the loom I'm picking up next month. 16 shaft dobby loom, gonna start weaving baby wraps. What the hell am I going to do with 16 shafts?

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

So, I'm doing another thing. This shirt was dragged out of a norwegian bog where it'd been sitting since the 10thish century.

And I want to remake it, because there are things wrong with me. (Although I plan to "just" make the neat stripy cloth first and use it on a shirt of storebought cloth. A warp weighted loom to make enough handspun cloth for a whole outfit is in my "someday" list).

That is the handspun (drop spindle, 2ply, 200 yards/oz) I've done already. I know the tunic is one ply, but I'm just not ready to deal with that much twist snaking everywhere. My other problem is the loom I have is a 10 inch babby's first starter and I'm going to have to make heddles out of thread and sticks.

The cloth looks like the stripes are part of the warp. If I do that, I'm going to have to put a seam in the back of the collar. If I make the stripes part of the weft, I suspect I will hate everything, they repeat every two inches. Also, I'm not happy with the lemon yellow of the yellow I have.... so I've been collecting onion skins to see if I can turn some undyed wool into something a bit closer to amber.

Any suggestions on the easiest direction to orient the stripes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

petecas - I have no ideas / suggestions for you, but that is going to be a super badass project and I really love the colors you've got going there, that pinky-purply one especially.

• Locked thread