Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I have a 4 shaft counter balance loom (roughly 38" weaving width) that I picked up in a craigslist deal. I also have an 18" Kromski Harp rigid heddle loom. So far I've made scarves, a couple baby blankets, and just played around with stuff. I might start making baby wraps in a few months, after I get finished with a few more projects that I'm working on.

One thing I noticed in the picture posted of your weaving, is you say the gold threads are mis-threaded. Parts of them look correctly woven, so it might just be that the threads are sticking together when you change the shed. Try changing the shed and moving the beater/reed forward like you just threw a pick of yarn, and then put it back. That should clear out any threads that are stuck together. I had this problem A LOT using some very sticky wool yarn to make a twill scarf.

EDIT: Some of the crap I've made

Baby blanket for my nephew:

(also a cat hammock for a jerkass cat)

Scarves made with warp yarn that I dyed:

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

TastesLikeChicken posted:

Those all look great! I have an inkle loom too, but I haven't done much with it.

I'm inching along on my first weave:

They looked like I had them threaded through the reed in the same dent. I think there may be a problem with my shafts, too - they don't seem to level out correctly when I take my foot off the treadles. Maybe it's keeping me from getting a clean shed? I know when I throw right up against the reed, it looks more "right".

(We're still not talking about my selvadges, oy)

You should throw the shuttle right up against the reed. The bar at the bottom of the reed is called the "shuttle race" just for the shuttle to run along. It also helps keep your shuttle from jumping above the upper part of the shed, or dropping down below. My counterbalance shafts *snicker* don't level out on their own either, I think they might if I had a super tight warp, but they you run the risk of breaking a thread and making a shed would be super difficult. I have to even it out on purpose with the pedals or pushing all the shafts together by hand.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Tri loom weaving is the same idea as any other form of weaving, I've never done it, but yarns go over and under each other and make a thing. The floor/table/rigid heddle looms all have a way to lift some threads up and put some threads down so the weaving is simpler and you don't have to "over under" all the threads yourself. Tablet weaving does that too, but tri loom weaving you have to do the weave structure yourself, similar to the potholder loop looms a lot of people had as kids. It's pretty cool that it produces a finished triangle shawl instead of having to cut a square into that shape.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Lata jie posted:

Anyway, here is a picture of the bottom part of the scarf. The middle part has almost no beads in it as I figured that would add un-needed weight to the scarf.

Is this your first weaving? That's gorgeous, I love the beads on black. Also, your salvedges are great!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Do you have a link to a tutorial or something? That looks very much like knitting an applied I-cord, but ..not. It's pretty amazing.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Beginning to clean and rearrange to get the room for the loom I'm picking up next month. 16 shaft dobby loom, gonna start weaving baby wraps. What the hell am I going to do with 16 shafts?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Holy cow that will be awesome. In noobweaver news, I finally got the drat dish towel warp tied on and must have lost a foot of loom waste already because I was apparently incapable of cutting or tying any two ends evenly. I'm really wondering if I'm too dumb to do this, at this point. :eng99:

None of my bouts ever end up even. They are all slightly different tensions when you wind the warp, so none of the ends are even when you tie on. I do need to work on my winding on, but I'll have a 6"-8" difference between short and long ends.

Either both my husband and I, or one of us (depending on how my daughter bucks this cold she has) is going tomorrow to get the 16 shaft super loom™ tomorrow. SO EXCITED

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

#ohshitohshitohshit

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I'm kinda surprised at the relative compactness of it as well. Very pleased with it though, as that room has to be somewhat usable after we rearrange all the other crap out of it. I'm awaiting cotton yarn to play with on it, as the wool I have is stretchy and I want something solid for sampling.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
This one is a mechanical dobby, and you use wooden bars connected into chain with pins set up to lift specific shafts for that line of the pattern. I can do a really in depth post later when the kids are more cooperative, but there is a set of little levers that the pins push on and that tells the loom with ones to lift. They make a 'compudobby' now that you just hook a laptop to, but I'm mildly excited about setting up the pins and making a big wooden chain to do it. If you zoom in the picture and look at the box on the top left of the castle (the top part of the loom) you'll see the dobby box and the bars set up for plain weave.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Oh awesome, Amy - pleeeeease can we have a video of it in operation sometime? :)

I think I can manage that :haw:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Had a couple extra minutes after dinner and my husband helped me out!

Extremely dorky walkthrough of loom 'features': (by sandpaper beam, I mean a pressure beam where there isn't any tying on, the yarn just *sticks*, it also apparently shreds your forearms)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_9i43NgQ1U

Close up video of just the dobby mechanism:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57HV_mrOZP8

Sorry about everything being so dark!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
So far I have a whopping 2 inches of a 12 inch wide warp threaded in the heddles. gently caress 24 epi. (it's gonna look so pretty though)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Finally got a warp on and playing around with the dobby. This is FUN. Follows are pictures of the patterns I'm playing with currently, all off a 12 shaft point threading. There is a pinstripe effect because I have 4 ends per dent in the reed to give me 24 epi. I'm expecting that to even out in the wash.

Plain Weave:

A double direction heart draft I made up (I'm sure it's been done before, but I haven't seen it):

A diamond pattern:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Someone go back in time and inform me that 36" wide crackle weave is a bitch to thread when you have a pre-schooler hell bent on "helping" you. I'm doing the heddle song, "8767,6545,6543,4323" and she's going "seben, ten, ten twelf!"

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I do ties every two feet down the warp to keep it from getting all hosed up, and I 'chain' the warp as I take it off the board so it doesn't become a huge mess. I'm sure you could find video, but I take the end that I'm not threading/tying on with off the warping board and use the loop at that end to start a crochet chain with the whole whack of threads. I just keep going and leave a few feet unchained at the end with my raddle cross or threading cross (depending on if I'm warping back-to-front or front-to-back)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Finally got all of the things on my "do before weaving" list done, so I got all the threading done, got everything wound on and all my tension figured out, and finally weaving again!!! (This is gonna be a tester for my woven baby wrap business :haw:)

And a mock up of the pattern from weavepoint

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
That's pretty neat looking and there are definitely people who would be into it.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Finished the first baby wrap for my new business! ( All 15 feet of it!) This one is largely a proof of concept. Normally it would get sent out to people who are well known in the babywearing community and they'd use it and offer feedback and reviews to build your name up. This one has some small mistakes and floats that I don't think are appropriate for babywearing. (They're perfectly safe but could snag pretty easily and they just look messy) I'm sampling new yarn with the pattern revised to remove the long floats.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Finished winding a 16 yard warp for several baby wraps. Now threading. Oh god save me.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Big Bug Hug posted:

how the hell do you get a baby in there?

It takes some practice, that's for sure, but now he's used to it and will just hang there until I get him all fastened down. There are a TON of YouTube videos of different carries.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Im That One Guy posted:

Yeah the width usually shrinks by about %30. I designed and sewed adorable little toddler and baby slippers with it. :3:

Felt rules

Those look so warm and comfy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Sorry I've been awol for so long. Been super busy. I've had a couple of wraps sell through Facebook now, and I'm working on an order for another two. Head over to my Facebook page to see photos!

https://www.facebook.com/dapperbabytextiles

• Locked thread