Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
petecas
Jul 10, 2009

LEGO? Cats? Vikings? Crafting? Yes, please!
Oh boy, weaving thread! And tablet weaving! (That drat Satyr, do you have Applesies and Fox Noses yet?)

So, I decided about a year ago that hand woven, hand spun leg wraps would be a GREAT project. And because string heddles sounded like a pain in the butt to set up, I was going to tablet weave them in order to get a nice 2/2 twill! (half of each card threaded, AB, BC, CD, DA ect)

64 cards, 14 feet of warp. I could get about 6 inches before having to re-clamp and pick out fuzzies that had bound warp threads together.

One finished, one a little under half done.

You can see a little bit of the texture, it's more pronounced in person.

because of course there's a cat.

So yeah! 600 yards of 19 wpi 2 ply drop spindle spun warp per leg, and 200 yards of the same for weft! The general consensus among my SCA group is that I hate myself. But they stick to my legs like there's velcro involved and go great with my viking garb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

The second wrap was done with Lacis cards, yes. They were a gift and were WAY more convenient to use than the playing cards I'd cut up for the first, mostly because I could put a chopstick through the center hole and put the loom down. (two adjacent hole threaded tablet weaving means I had to have a hand on the cards AT ALL TIMES or they would flop around and ruin everything).

The nice thing about homemade cards is feeling okay about markering them up. For more complicated patterns it's a relief to know "when red shows up on top, it turns the other way for THESE cards, but THOSE cards are blue and only go forward" or whatever.

Check out Historic Tablet Weaving group on facebook, there's lots of patterns in the files and pretty pretty pictures!

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

So, tablet weaving is a way of making decorative straps/belts/trim. It's a lot more robust than regular over/under weaving, mostly because you have four times the warp. Each warp thread threads through a hole in a card, which is turned to produce the shed.

All of the design also only comes from the warp. If you were to thread each card red/red/yellow/yellow, you'd get (slightly jaggy) stripes. If you offset those a little bit, you can make diagonal lines or chevrons. If you twist your cards forward four and then back four, you get diamonds. By twisting some forward and some back, you can do pretty much anything, like that teeny tiny one That drat Satyr posted (I think that's made with sewing thread?). There's a million more examples by google image'ing "tablet woven band".

The decorative bands I've made with tablet weaving so far were made with #10 crochet cotton because it comes in every color and is a good size. The next couple I'm planning on will be from homespun I'm still working on, the chunk of red I've got finished is 28 wpi so it's a little smaller. That's also for a loom-weaving project so I suppose I'll be putting pics of that up, too!

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

Valdara, I've heard two suggestions for fuzzies, but have tried neither. One is "a dab of conditioner in the pre-wash", but I think when it's already on a loom the best advice is "get it unfuzzied, take it outside and hair spray the bejeezus out of it"

Unverified advice from strangers on the internet! What could possibly go wrong?!

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

Pile of Kittens posted:

I know they say that card weaving is just for bands, but how big can you really get?

Don't forget this monstrosity, too. http://nonydt.wix.com/ecoweaving-en#!tablet-weaving/c1vvh 418 tablets.

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

So, I'm doing another thing. This shirt was dragged out of a norwegian bog where it'd been sitting since the 10thish century.

And I want to remake it, because there are things wrong with me. (Although I plan to "just" make the neat stripy cloth first and use it on a shirt of storebought cloth. A warp weighted loom to make enough handspun cloth for a whole outfit is in my "someday" list).

That is the handspun (drop spindle, 2ply, 200 yards/oz) I've done already. I know the tunic is one ply, but I'm just not ready to deal with that much twist snaking everywhere. My other problem is the loom I have is a 10 inch babby's first starter and I'm going to have to make heddles out of thread and sticks.

The cloth looks like the stripes are part of the warp. If I do that, I'm going to have to put a seam in the back of the collar. If I make the stripes part of the weft, I suspect I will hate everything, they repeat every two inches. Also, I'm not happy with the lemon yellow of the yellow I have.... so I've been collecting onion skins to see if I can turn some undyed wool into something a bit closer to amber.

Any suggestions on the easiest direction to orient the stripes?

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

That drat Satyr posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I've been on a nålebinding needle carving kick. Bonedust everywhere! :D

ALL THE RESPIRATORS. I've been making wire needles and pins lately and when it's time to put points on them I'll also be using my belt sander to finish a bone belt buckle, antler comb and probably a nalebinding needle or three. I already know that carbou antler dust smells like burning hoof-tuna and I suspect bone will be bad too.

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

Looks like you totally planned that, Valdera :) Corners NEED reinforcment!

And Amykinz, that sounds adorable. I'm sure it's way less cute to experience, though.

As a side note, is there an SCA thread? I see bits of one all over the fiber threads as well as the metal and leather working threads.

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

Those are some pretty colors, Satyr! I was actually planning on doing a length of that pattern soon (in dark brown, orange and yellow. Handspun, because I hate myself).

Also, SCA thread means I'll have somplace to post pics of baby sized turnshoes I'm doing for an expecting friend.

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

You probably want something sturdier than index cards. My starters were cut out of a deck of playing cards and a hole punch. (If you have a high end hole punch, use it. The slightly ragged bits on the far side of my holes led to lots of frustration).

I used http://www.shelaghlewins.com/tablet_weaving/TW01/TW01.htm and http://www.stringpage.com/tw/basictw.html as my tutorial pages for my first one. However, their definition of S and Z threading is opposite of the Applesies and Fox Noses definition, which seems to be becoming the default.

ONE OF US ONE OF US!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

I didn't expect that sheet to shrink down that far! What are you going to do with it?

• Locked thread