Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I just made my own back-strap loom (It's period for the SCA! Although mostly for South America and Central Asia. I'm calling it good for my Russian persona. During the 13th century, those areas talked to each other). It's super janky and made with whatever I could find that would work. The "strap" part started with me using a towel around my foot for tension, but then I wove a foot strap and am working on a back-strap to go with it. The major problem I'm running into is clearing the shed. The yarn (I'm using cotton) keeps getting stuck together with fuzzies. I know cotton doesn't felt, but I'll be damned if it isn't just as infuriating. And, yes, continuous string heddles are the devil's work.

The whole set up with the beginnings of my back strap:

The part closest to me. Yes, my shuttle is cardboard. It's bajankety to the max.

The foot strap I wove:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

That drat Satyr posted:

This thread is a bad, bad thing. I just made a deposit on a new loom just to do tablet weaving because whoops my paypal slipped.

Still being built - it'll be the sort with rachety cranks on it so the tension can be set as you work. SO PRETTY AAAAAAAA. I love purple heartwood so much. The prettiest. The guy that made this one is the same person that made my very first inkle loom (Egill's Woodstuff out of Ohio - he's a very good woodworker and sells at several SCA events if you're into that sort of stuff).

Also, more tablet blather:
This little "History of tablet weaving" was just recently posted to one of the facebook groups I'm in and it does a great job of showing and explaining the history of the art, so that's something else to look at if you're interested!
http://weavedmagic.deviantart.com/journal/Origins-of-most-popular-tablet-weaving-patterns-394709084

My next backstrap loom project is going to be tablet weaving. Just as soon as I finish the STUPID loving BACK STRAP itself. I bought a rigid heddle off eBay and am hoping I can figure out a way to fit the 96 ends I have into the 59 spaces on the heddle. I don't know if that's possible. Please tell me that's possible.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Tried out my new heddle tonight. It makes opening the shed SO MUCH EASIER, but the weirdness I had to do to fit 98 ends into 59 openings means that the weaving pattern is all bonkers now. And I need some dedicated sticks for the tension bars. And I need a roll-up bar that will do its job.

So, it's better, but still needs some serious tweaking and is what is on it now is not even a little bit going to work for making the backstrap that I want, so I'm just going to weave until I get sick of it and sort out how to finish it off, then chalk it up to a learning experience and plan a new back strap that has even tensioning and 59 ends and is long enough.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Pile of Kittens posted:

I know they say that card weaving is just for bands, but how big can you really get?

I'd guess whatever size you want, as long as you are willing to fool with that many cards at every turn. The band I've done is about 25 cards and 1/2" thick. I've seen bands up to 2" wide, and if you want anything more than a simple pattern, keeping track of how many turns each one of them has taken sounds like a very picky job me and my lack of attention to details would fail at miserably. If you are better at keeping track of things, you might could do as big as you wanted to fool with. However, I am no expert.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I'm trying to follow the instructions found here: https://sites.google.com/site/fibrecraftsza/contents/weaving-on-a-box for making a cardboard box into a loom. I started following the instructions, and so far I have cut a box down to size, marked off 5mm increments, and poked two hundred holes around the sides of it with a tapestry needle and a thimble. Now I'm on the third tool to cut the notches at the top. Sawing with a kitchen knife was garbage. Tin snips worked beautifully to cut through the cardboard, but the ends were too wide and kept tearing the tabs. Using the tips of scissors didn't give enough leverage, so now I'm using the very top of a pair of scissors. It cuts through the cardboard, but it's hard to be precise, and it cuts the edges more than the center. I think the holes aren't doing me any good because they aren't big enough. I need to add an awl to my tools.

I have a dozen skeins of home-spun yarn finishing right now in its final rinse. I'll need to thwap it and dry it before I can use it for weaving. I'm not sure what to use to warp the box, but I'll figure something out.

Pictures so far:

Box

Box cut down, ends turned into flaps that are folded in, 5mm increments marked, straight line marked for depth, and holes punched across.

Starting to cut them. The first few starting from the right were sawed with a knife, then snipped with tin snips. On the long side, I finally start using scissors, and it's much less raggedy. It's also much less crooked and stupid.

And here's the drying yarn I've spun that will be used to do this weaving.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

That drat Satyr posted:

I don't know exactly how much it matters, but for what its worth the few times I've used cardboard boxes for loom-bases of this sort I've had better luck using compressed cardboard, not corrugated - but that takes a lot of sturdiness away, and you have to be delicate with it. With that me this, you can just scissor the holes and be fine.

Another idea might be to use an xacto (or other sort of craft knife - I use #11 blades for everything),, or... Maybe even just a box cutter? Don't over-think it lady. :p

It's done cut. I went after it with scissors a few slits at a time. Now I keep forgetting the warp at school (where I store all the things I'm not using at home these days and sometimes use them for teaching). I'm just going to take the box with me tomorrow and do it there.

I started thinking about the shawls I'm going to weave on the 4' triloom that's half-built in my classroom, then got obsessed with shawl pins, and now I am sitting in front of a wire jig and making horrible abominations out of wire. Symmetry is hard.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

That drat Satyr posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I've been on a nålebinding needle carving kick. Bonedust everywhere! :D

Oh poo poo for reals wear a respirator. Bone dust is dangerous. You prob already know that, but just in case.

Forgot my box at home. Gonna take the string to it today. If I remember the string.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Working on warping my box. I finally bought metal tapestry needles with bent tips so I can stop breaking my plastic ones. I hosed up the corners, and now I am going to have to be Very Clever to figure out how to fix it. You can see how it's been pulled in and the left side is all wopperjawed and awful. I will macguyver a fix out of this somehow.

Edit: FIXED! I never said it would be pretty.

Valdara fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 29, 2015

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Weaving takes so goddamn much yarn. I love it. And it means I don't have to knit this bullshit ugly dishwater pink gross yarn I hated spinning but couldn't bear to knit or throw away. YOU'RE THE BOTTOM OF MY BAG, rear end in a top hat YARN.

petecas posted:

As a side note, is there an SCA thread? I see bits of one all over the fiber threads as well as the metal and leather working threads.

Not that I've seen, but there totally should be one. There's got to be some more Goon-SCA overlap going on.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Progress on my box loom up through last Sunday (I've been in Kansas City since then, so no more progress).

That drat Satyr posted:

Finally getting around to weaving a little more. Sometimes I think being into so many different crafts seriously works against me, but... oh well. More card weaving fun! This is my first pattern out of Applesies and Fox Noses - the pattern is called Fine Crooked Knees with Small Applesies.

Aaaalso, I agree, we totally need an SCA thread. We should collaborate and get an OP going for that. :P

That's gorgeous! I love it. I also love the idea of an SCA thread, but I'm swamped with other things right now, and my down-time is planned for crafts and resting. Give me at least a week to recover from this ordeal in Kansas City (everything is not up to date), and then we can start planning.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Finishing up the bag.

Woven up to the top.

Bound and off the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

That drat Satyr posted:

Cool now weave some straps.

DO IT. WITH CARDS. I CHALLENGE YOU. I BELIEVE IN YOU.

WHY CAN'T YOU JUST BE HAPPY FOR ME?!?

What's your favorite card weaving tutorial? Will index cards work, or do I need something sturdier?

I have a problem.

• Locked thread