Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
rooting is fantastic, it just means your poo poo won't work since you've janitored it too hard, so then you'll go and buy another plastic korean shitheap and do it all over again

samsung loves it! find the one secret korean companies don't want you to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
how do you gently caress up your phone by rooting it dude?

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
can you even read instructions?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

whats going on itt :cripes:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
i rooted my phone just to delete the vodafone shitware that came preinstalled on it

serves me right 4 buying from australia's worst telco :shepface:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Between this and the windows thread wootman is really owning it with the bad opinions today.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I rly hope this is your posing gimmick because I don't know if yospos can continue to tolerate someone who thinks windows is perfect and enjoys rooting their sarnsung android in their spare time.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Q:

Wootman posted:

how do you gently caress up your phone by rooting it dude?

A:

Wootman posted:

gently caress up your phone by rooting it

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

vodkat posted:

I rly hope this is your posing gimmick because I don't know if yospos can continue to tolerate someone who thinks windows is perfect and enjoys rooting their sarnsung android in their spare time.

i fail to see how any of that is bad.

you must be stupidly stupid to brick your phone by rooting it.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Wootman posted:

you must be stupidly stupid to root your phone

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You put your root down , right into the trash can.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

David Wootman, CPA

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Wootman posted:

can you even read instructions?

woot, man

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

maniacdevnull posted:

David Rootman, CPA

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Since there might be a bunch of Nexus 5 "me too" users reading this. The immediate solution to the memory leaks and battery issues are to reboot into recovery and clear the cache every 2 weeks or so. This is what I've been doing for a month and it hasn't been so bad as before.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
source your quotes

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cremnob posted:

Since there might be a bunch of Nexus 5 "me too" users reading this. The immediate solution to the memory leaks and battery issues are to reboot into recovery and clear the cache every 2 weeks or so. This is what I've been doing for a month and it hasn't been so bad as before.

:ughh:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

cremnob posted:

i do that on my iphone too.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

cremnob posted:

holy hell this loving phone

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe
how bout a quick root :australia:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

it was in this HN post called "Microsoft Is the New Google, Google Is the Old Microsoft", a familiar theme that i post about here in yospos and on twitter @cremnob

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9074704

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the narrative is shifting and the geeks are starting to see through the marketing/PR

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

idk if this is now the anroid lol thread but heres android malware that makes the phone appear to be powered off by hijacking then mimicking the shutdown procedure

"avg of all people" posted:

Most of us have seen Hollywood movies where hackers trace and spy on mobile devices even though they are switched off. Like most things in spy movies, we disregard it as fiction.

However, the AVG mobile security team recently discovered malware that may challenge this preconception. The malware hijacks the shutdown process and the device remains functional even though it appears to be off.

First seen in China, the malware spreads through Chinese app stores with around 10,000 devices infected so far.

The malware affects versions of Android older than v.5 (Lollipop) and requires root permission to hijack the shut down process.

After pressing the power button, the phone displays an authentic shutdown animation, and the phone appears off. Although the screen is black, it is still on.

While the phone is in this state, the malware can make outgoing calls, take pictures and perform many other tasks without notifying you.

How does this happen?

there are technical details on how it works at the link but im not a computermans so idc

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

LastInLine posted:

idk if this is now the anroid lol thread but heres android malware that makes the phone appear to be powered off by hijacking then mimicking the shutdown procedure

there are technical details on how it works at the link but im not a computermans so idc
haha who would be stupid enough to root their phone

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

LastInLine posted:

innovation

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

reading posted:

My installation of cyanogen mod became unusable after updating to a recent nightly build (the last "stable" build was years ago) so I tried to wipe all data, factory reset, and reinstall the last stable build. This is on my Samsung Galaxy S4 mini, international 3g.

Now the phone is stuck in an endless cycle of reboots, although sometimes it makes it to a point where it repeatedly says "Unfortunately android.process.media has stopped" or android.process.acore. That's the closest it gets to actually booting in to the OS. Mostly it just shows the splash animation or a grey battery icon and stays there forever.

At this point I think I'm going to have to rebuy the phone because I can't even find the stock firmware online to put on it, to try going back to stock. Do I have any options left? I've tried wiping /dalvik, /data, /cache, /system, everything and reinstalling CM but no luck.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
you know it's a good megathread when the introductory posts haven't been updated in four years

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
lol that op

among the amazing features that rooting your android 1.6 dumbphone will give you that people just take for granted these days like screenshots and flashlight apps is also "free wifi tethering"

i forgot that wasn't always a thing, there was some fuckery from the telcos involved wasn't there??

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

jony ive aces posted:

lol that op

among the amazing features that rooting your android 1.6 dumbphone will give you that people just take for granted these days like screenshots and flashlight apps is also "free wifi tethering"

i forgot that wasn't always a thing, there was some fuckery from the telcos involved wasn't there??
if you get a phone from not the carrier and you turn on tethering, they will send you letters and emails that you have to stop tethering or pay for a tethering plan

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

if you get a phone from not the carrier and you turn on tethering, they will send you letters and emails that you have to stop tethering or pay for a tethering plan

i don't think this is true unless you're on some ancient plan without tethering. all the us carriers include it in their plans now.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Endless Mike posted:

i don't think this is true unless you're on some ancient plan without tethering. all the us carriers include it in their plans now.

lol nope

its not even possible on ios and only works on goog devices on tmo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

maniacdevnull posted:

lol nope

lol what

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

lol nope

what?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
verizon has had shared data plans for at least a year or two now

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

not only does it work on iOS it also works better on iOS because you can activate it from your computer while your phone's in your pocket

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

verzion blocks tethering on their grandfathered unlimited plans

i'm keeping my old android pos around with a sim adaptor in case I need to hotspot for a trip or something. also because resale value is pretty much :10bux:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

good lord touchwiz is ugly

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Shifty Pony posted:

verzion blocks tethering on their grandfathered unlimited plans

i'm keeping my old android pos around with a sim adaptor in case I need to hotspot for a trip or something. also because resale value is pretty much :10bux:
android supremacy :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"it is so lovely nobody will pay me for it so I might as well keep it" = supremacy I guess

• Locked thread